Monday, August 1, 2016

First of the Eighth month

Wow, where is this year zipping off too? It is hard to believe that it is August already. It is hot and humid here, but from what I’ve seen online, it’s not as hot as some of you are having it. I do live about 3 miles from the ocean though, and that makes a lot of difference. My husband and I really noticed this living in Spain while he was in the US Navy. We’d go off for a ride and as soon as we headed inland it would become hotter, although in Spain it was a ‘dry’ heat, not humid at all. Every time on the trip back to our apt., there was one place in the road where the temperature changed, and we would feel the cool breezes once again. We lived on the beach while in Spain, $75 a month rent, 1970-1973.

Some of you with hotter temps will soon see an end to them, whereas down here in s.e. FL we still have August and September to get through, and they can be brutal.

This morning I did not know what I was going to do, but when I stepped outside and took a quick walk around, I decided to mow. It was something I’d not done in at least a couple of weeks, not having much rain, there’s no need. But, it did need it now and it felt good to be doing it. I really like my electric lawn mower. It’s so much quieter, easier to handle and doesn’t put out heat and polution like the old mower did. Every time I mow I enjoy the scent of the freshly mown grass.  There should be a way to bottle that scent, maybe for an air-freshner, an incense stick, a candle?

Anyway, here’s my driveway after  mowing. Off to the left where the driveway veers off, is another area that was mowed, and then behind me in the photo, is the little lawn out by the front sidewalk and the rest of the driveway.

08-01-driveway

I’ve been working on some needlework pieces. One I forgot to take a picture of before I gave it away. It was a heart with a newlywed couples names on it and some peachy roses.

I just finished up another heart yesterday afternoon. The embroidered butterfly and flowers I had created from a photograph of mine, done in 2010. It’s been sitting in a drawer. This will be a gift to the young lady who I recently met. She works at Butterfly World, being a tour guide there, and writes up info, etc. She has a degree in horticulture and is a lepodopterist. She and her husband are a sweet young couple who go to the church I attend.

I couldn’t find the right frame in my stash, so decided to mount it to some lovely fabric I picked up recently. I also made a little name tag with the name of the butterfly embroidered on it and sewed that on. The flower that the butterfly is on is Hamelia Paten or Firebush.  All sorts of butterflies and bees love these flowers.

08-01-zebra-longwing2

08-01-zebra-longwing

08-01-zebra-longwing3

Next are pics of two different yarns, such luscious colors. I’ll show later, what I create with them.

08-01-yarn

08-01-yarn2

Next is a gorgeous orchid that bloomed last week. It has several more buds on it but only one is open right now. I don’t know the name of this orchid.

View from the backside.

08-01-unkn

Zoomed in. Isn’t it amazing?

08-01-unkn2

Side view.

08-01-unkn3

Front view.

08-01-unkn4

Still don’t have the sales tax stuff figured out. Will email Celestina about it as she volunteered to help me from TX.  I heard back from the Small Business Assc. today and they basically sent me links to websites I’d already been too. Sheesh! Something that seems like it should be simple, is turning into a bit of a nightmare. I’ll keep you posted. I’m not going to stress, I want to enjoy the simple pleasures and the beauty in each and every day that I am blessed with.

May you all feel the love of God as you go about your daily lives. He loves us all.

Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

23 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

You do such beautiful and detailed work. The Orchid is unlike any I've ever seen and very lovely.

Terra said...

What a lovely butterfly and perfect for your new friend. That orchid is amazing.

Nancy J said...

August and the snow has arrived down here. Delicate stitcheries, and the Orchid, delicate too, beautiful as nature will always show us. Keep cool, Hugs from NZ.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Wow, I bet Spain was pretty! Isn't is such a great feeling to get the grass mowed? Love your pretty heart!........don't let taxes get you down......you will soon get the hang of it all

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Beautiful stitching and lovely orchids!. I had a thought about your tax/legal situation. Do you have any organizations that have..say..retired business owners that volunteer their time to give advice? Or attorneys that give advice to low income people. We have those organizations here in Indiana. Terry and I just had our will, HIPA, etc documents prepared through one. I see articles in our paper all the time about organizations that give business advice. Perhaps there is some kind of senior center that could direst you to someone local that can help. Just a thought.
Best Wishes for a great day.
xx, Carol

SimplySingleSenior said...

I must say I covet your driveway! LOL! I have ALWAYS wanted a gravel driveway with grass down the center -- it is such a vintage look. Your embroidery is beautiful! Stay cool in this heat!

M.K. said...

What a crazy looking orchid that is! Kind of looks like a very pretty lavender-colored spider :)

All the financial stuff gives me a headache too, and I recall being overwhelmed by it at first. They do seem to make it so complicated, because they give you all the information, even if you don't need half of it. It was cooler here this morning and I sat with my chickens for a bit. So much better than last week. I'm delighted that July is over and I'm telling myself that autumn is just around the corner. haha :)

Debbie Harris said...

I love seeing your creations, dear Lorraine. This butterfly is gorgeous and your friend should be very pleased with it.
I too love the fragrance of fresh cut grass, not to mention the fresh new look it gives after being cut. :)

Happy to see that you are keeping busy with the joys of your life.

Susan said...

Hi Lorraine, We definitely have a lot of summer left. The rain is missing us up my way, so it's feels really hot. Your Zebra Longwing embroidery is very pretty. And your orchid is very unusual and pretty. Love the soft colors. That must have been awesome to live on the beach in Spain.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Lovely work!I am sure your friend will be delighted to receive it.
Such an unusual and beautiful orchid.I love the colour.
I wish the two I have inside would re-bloom.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

That little heart is gorgeous, Lorraine, as is your orchid! Glad things weren't too hot and sticky by you - surely the ocean breezes must help a ton!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

The orchid is extraordinary and I'm still marveling at the young Navy couple living in Spain by the beach for 75.00 month rent ! What a marvelous time you must have had there in those years.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Yes --it is hot in Tennessee now... VERY HOT and DRY... We are having to water the yard/plants/flowers almost every single day now... This has been one of the hottest and driest summers I can remember since we moved here in 2003..... I'm SO ready for FALL....

Love that orchid... I've never seen that one --even inside at Biltmore where they have lots of different orchids... Gorgeous.

Your detailed work is amazing... I hope you can work out your sales tax problems... Gosh--what a hassle.

Hugs,
Betsy

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Rainey, Oh that orchid is beautiful and so tropical looking. We see nothing like that here in very HOT Texas!! Your stitch work is stunning. What a precious gift. The sweet couple will love it.
What an experience to live in Spain on the beach. Special times I am sure.
I wish I could help more from my end on the sales tax stuff. I guess I only have the knowledge from my state but for etsy's side, it would be the same for all.
I'll keep in touch. Blessings to you. xo

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

The orchid is so beautiful and also not seen one quite like it. Its been hot and very humid in IL and can't wait for fall for cooler temps...Love the heart you made and that your taxes work out.

Darcie said...

I still think it is so amazing that you all lived in Spain...and on the beach to boot! How absolutely amazing that must have been...sweet memories for you now.

I LOVE the colors of your yarn...can wait to see what you create with it!

Stay cool my friend...it has been nothing but H.O.T. here this year as well...so ready for autumn. :-)

Summer said...

Your driveway is beautiful ♥

summerdaisy.net

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Your new friend is going to love her embroidered heart, Oh my goodness, it is so beautiful! And that orchid is amazing! God's earth is so incredible. Hugs xo Karen

Leslie Kimel said...

Oh, I just love your new needlework piece. How neat that you based the design on one of your photos. It is the perfect, thoughtful gift for your friend. I know she will really treasure it.

I always enjoy hearing about your adventures in Spain. It must have been so much fun living on the beach. How romantic!

Unknown said...

Hello Lorraine! I'm absolutely loving your Zebra Longwing! You made a very realistic looking representation - I'm sure your friend will love it! Your driveway area looks so charming and inviting. And I want to thank you also for your lovely comment on my blog, it was very encouraging and I appreciate that so much! You're not kidding about it being hotter inland - we are learning that as we came about 20 miles in from being only 4 miles from the ocean. Wow, what a difference! But maybe it will be cooler this winter :)

Kit said...

Your place is looking wonderful! Glad to see you are working out the problems with selling your lovely items. Hang in there! Hugs, Kit

Rebecca said...

I love the first photo. It makes me want to explore the hidden parts of your property. And the orchid- Wow!

I've no inclination (nor product) to use Etsy. Guess it's a good thing. I'd be overwhelmed, too.

I know the recipient of your beautiful handiwork will be thrilled. What a thoughtful and personal gift...

Have a good weekend, Lorraine.

CraveCute said...

That is a lovely orchid, I've never seen anything like it! Your embroidery is so pretty, love butterflies!