Monday, April 27, 2020

Another week has come and gone

Hello Folks ~ Here it is the start of another week. Today makes day 48 since I've left the property. Our 'self-isolation' period has been prolonged until May 31. I am so thankful for blessings this past week.

Had a friend, Sandy, call while I was talking with another friend, Rita, she left a msg. Rita and I had been talking about food and I told her I had a craving for fresh veggies. Well, when I called my Sandy back, she asked me would I like a blessing of fresh veggies. I could hardly believe it. I told her I had just mentioned craving them to Rita. God knew and he had answered my craving before I even voiced it.

I cooked up the corn, and it is sweet. Think I'll make a corn/potato chowder with the rest, stretching it out. With the cucumber and tomatoes I plan to make a salad, adding kalamata olives and some gargonzola cheese.



The next day Rita called me up and said she wanted to gift me a 6 pack of toilet paper, a box of kleenex, plus a Wendy's drive thru lunch, cheese burger, fries and lemonade. The day before we had been talking about toilet paper, and while I still had 4 rolls, 3 double layer, and one single layer, I said I was counting my sheets. Three for p, more for the other, two to blow my nose and one for my watery eyes. We both were laughing, but she felt compassion for me doing that.

While talking with Rita on the phone about her coming over, I had a fire truck and then a power truck out front. I had been hearing electrical pops, thought it was a palm frond hitting the hot wire along my driveway, but it wasn't. It was the neighbors trees along the road side by their apts. Sometimes single pops and then other time a continuous string of them. I called 911 finally because of fear of fire starting, (had that happen before, small, but still scary, especially as it was a windy day.) They sent out a fire truck and called the power company. The power company came, to take care of tree limbs and the fire truck left. The man from power company said they hadn't seen anything, but he heard and saw the sparks flying. He took care of the problem and I thanked him.

I then called Rita telling her she could come and she did a stop and drop. Oh my what a treat.



I walked around picking flowers for a bouquet to give her. What a joy it was doing that. Pictures below from different angles.





On the phone the day before I had told her I had baked a loaf of oatmeal bread in my machine. She groaned and said "are you trying to make me jealous?" So, I decided to give her half of it.


I baked another loaf yesterday afternoon, and oh my the aroma that fills this place is so wonderful.


I am thankful to Mary for once again picking up and delivering groceries with a smile yesterday.

This past week I worked outside on clearing a path on the east side of main garden. Forward progress.



Now for some more blooms. Miss Joachim vanda orchids.



 Next we have 'tropical hydrangea'.


 This is 'frangipani'. I have an all pink variety that I've had for years and years. A friend had given me 4-5 cuttings and I just stuck them in the ground. They are always a treat when they bloom. This particular plant I bought a couple of years ago.



Below is 'sandpaper vine, or queens wreath vine'. Since I can't grow wisteria, I found this tropical vine. I think a gardening friend gave me a cutting, it's been years ago and this is the first year that it's done this well. I love it. On the other side of this arbor I have the garlic vine growing. I need to tie this down to the arbor.





Here's a close-up of the blooms.


Below is the mandala pattern 'Sophie's Universe' that I've been working on.  The past couple of days I've had to pull out different rows several times as I hadn't gotten them right. Not carefully reading the directions is the cause. I'm so thankful I bought this book so that I don't have to sit in front of my computer looking at the directions online. I had let this project sit for awhile as I just didn't want to get involved. Below is where I had left off after making a mistake and having to rip out a row.


 Below is after working on it over the past couple of days.



 Here's a closer look. Overlaying stitches is fun, but you do have to count and pay attention.


Ok, that's it for now. Remember to take things easy. Find something that you enjoy doing, try to get 10 minutes of fresh air each day. Eat as well as you can, get sleep. Let others know you care about them and love them. Give encouragement, keep negativity out of your life.
Let us help others when and where we can, and keep each other in prayer.

I want to say thank you to family and friends for love, support and encouragement. Thank you to all of the bloggers and you-tubers posting positive blog and vlog posts, beauty where they are, music to make our hearts sing, to comfort us during this time, for devotionals and spiritually uplifting words to build our faith and hope.  Thank you to the fire dept for sending out a truck in case of fire, and for the power company coming out and taking care of the problem. 

We will get through this. Things won't be the same, they will be different. May we learn to grow with change and be thankful all along the way.

God is in control and He loves us deeply.

Here's a prayer I want to share with you.

May you feel the comforting love of Jesus surrounding and flowing through you,
FlowerLady





20 comments:

ellen b. said...

So much beauty and encouragement in this post. I loved reading about the people in your life who are caring for you in very special ways. Love the bouquet of flowers from your garden. Blessings on this new week and the last week in April!

Nancy J said...

Those who care, and help in whatever way the can are a true blessing specially right now, To have goodies dropped off, how wonderful, and with much needed T,P, we have ample, but I make sure if it is on special, order another lot. What we once accepted as normal, might not be that again for a very long time, We have less restrictions form today for another 2 weeks, then reassess. Can drive 10 minutes to a beach ( ours are a lot further than that) can sim, surf, garden centres can sell, contactless, so order online or phone, restaurants can do takeaways, again you cannot go in, and no contact. I marvel at the organisation the government has done,I guess everyone has done many long hours every day. Stay safe, and let those beautiful flowers brighten your every day.XXX

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello - I love your crocheting project. You are surrounded by kind friends and beautiful flowers. Such blessings! Have a good Monday and a great week!

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is heart warming to hear how God supplies every need, and even before we ask. When I see Orchids in a bouquet, I have to smile. Out here they are very special flowers and not used for cut flowers. They are so beautiful .

GretchenJoanna said...

Thank you for sharing your friends and flowers :-)

Glory and thanks to God! He really is looking out for us.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Lovely prayer and a sweet, uplifting post. Thank you for the inspiring words - life can feel so difficult right now and I try not to stay awake all night worrying. So glad that you have sweet blessings coming your way. Such kind friends and so glad that the utility company fixed those wires! So many beautiful flowers blooming now and the walkway looks very nice. Your flower bouquets are such a pretty way to say, 'thank-you', too. Proof that we can all take care of one another in small, thoughtful ways. Sending hugs xo Karen

Ann said...

What a blessing to have such thoughtful and caring friends.
Your crocheted mandalla is beautiful.

Debra Howard said...

Hey girlfriend. If you need toilet paper or anything please let me know. I am in a smaller town in Texas and our store is staying stocked really well except a few things so I can drop you some in the mail if needed. It would be no trouble. I really mean it. Your flowers are lovely as always and your bread looks delicious

pilar said...

Oh, I paused to comment quickly on the Sandpaper Vine. We're from El Salvador, my mom calls this plant lengua de vaca, I think because when it's an older plant(?)and it flowers more, with the weight of all those flowers it makes a tongue shape...I think, anyway. Yours looks like a baby. It really is a great plant, though unlike wisteria, it has no fragrance, am I right? Anyway, I just love that you have this plant in your garden. Great story about your friend ready to gift you exactly what you need. God has your back! Have a lovely week, Lorraine!

Anne Payne said...

I'm so glad you have a network of friends helping you through this crazy time in our nation. Your oasis is lovely!!! {{hugs}}

Rebecca said...

So good to see the beauty you create and nurture! Our forsythia bush is about ready to give way to the lilac blooms! And OH! The beautiful flowering pear trees....

Homemaker's Heart said...

Hello! I am so glad to get a post to see what you are up to. And clearing the garden path, that is some work! You did a great job, looks good. It always seem to take my breath when I look at your sweet little couch and pillows with the bears on the back, but today...when I saw what you are making... I had to zoom in to see how beautiful! Just beautiful!!

Thank you for your wisdom as well. I read that and will jot it in my day planner and call it "FlowerLady's pearls".

Thank you for sharing all the wonderful things God blesses you with.

Wishing you God's peace,
Dee

Lynn and Precious said...

Oh, how wonderful your friends answered your prayers in many ways. Fresh
food, paper products and just their want to help those staying close to home
You will be so glad to get out when things get safer and rules relaxed. But
best to be safe than sorry with the virus. You have made a lovely crochet
blanket! I love it! I crochet, too. mostly with thread for doilies but I
used to make blankets for the Red Cross. Your garden work is hard but rewarding for you, and the flowers thrive. Keep your spirits up. Lynn

Annie said...

You have such wonderful friends looking out for you! What a blessing! God is so good! Thank you for all the beautiful pictures of your flowers. Spring brings so much joy.

Melanie said...

How wonderful that you have friends that help look after you and help you out with certain things. And you have blessed them in return with your delicious bread and beautiful flowers!

Hugs,
Melanie

Friko said...

Flowerlady, what would we do without our gardens and our dear friends. It is the small things which make all the difference now and we must be thankful for all the kindnesses done us and return them where we can.

Stay well and sane.

Mother Em said...

Ms. Flower Lady, you need to get in touch with this guy ...both on the same page with all that nature's beauty has to give.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/navy-retiree-finds-solace-in-troubled-times-by-brightening-pensacola-with-flower-garden/ar-BB13pYza?ocid=spartandhp

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Lorraine, this was just the perfect post. It is so good to see all that you are doing (love the crocheting) your beautiful flowers ( that bouquet you fixed for your friend is so beautiful. There is something about a jumble of home grown colorful flowers that will always outshine any florist bouquet, in my opinion) and the thoughtfulness of your friends and neighbors. Glad the fire department came to fix that problem. That could turn into something very serious. Your homemade banana bread looks so good, I can almost smell it. Take care, my friend, and continue to stay busy and well..xxoJudy

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Such an uplifting post! Such lovely crochet you do . How sweet to fix the bouquet of flowers ! I am sure your friend loved them! So colorful!
Your oatmeal bread looks delicious! I love the prayer you shared. So sweet

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Sweet prayer! How lovely your garden photos are and what a beautiful bouquet! I bet your friend just loved it! So good you had a reliable fire department and power company to come to your aid. Love your crochet!