Sunday, April 19, 2020

Each day is a gift

Hello Friends ~ It is early evening EST here in s.e. FL. I pray that you are all doing well. Today made 40 days since I last left this property. Amazing. One day melts into another and if I don't check my phone or the computer to see what day it really is, I wouldn't know. I do have a calendar that I write things on, and mark the days off and that helps, but to know for sure, check phone or computer.

Thanks for visiting here and kind & encouraging comments you leave. They are a big help.

Had my first zoom session with bro & sis in law the other night and it was great to break me in. Then this morning had a 40 min session with them and their daughter and her fiance. The time flew by, so good to see faces and laugh together. We plan on doing it again soon.

This coming Tuesday evening I'll have a session with a small ladies group from church and I'm looking forward to that also. Not seeing anyone was really taking a toll on my mental health as I'm sure it is for others who live alone. I have a couple of friends who are not computer savvy or have smart phones and they are lost in that respect of keeping in touch with people. I am so glad I do have these two items to keep in touch with others especially at this time.

I joined an online scavenger hunt earlier this morning from Hootin' Annie's blog. My macro mystery item is found below, with what it was below that. 








Friday night we had some really heavy rain lasting for a good while. My little wooden house with metal awnings is hard to take with the noise of heavy rain beating down. It was just as I was going to bed also and that makes it worse. I start fretting/worrying about what if this or that, because I will have to figure out how to take care of whatever it is, if it happens. Sheesh! My stomach gets in knots, I lay there praying, thinking of different scripture, laid on my side and put a small pillow over my exposed ear to deaden the sound and just breathed in and out, thank you, Jesus. Finally I calmed and fell asleep and the rains stopped.

But, the next morning I knew I would have to 'rig' the downspout to rain barrel that the raccoons had taken apart with climbing up and down it. I had tried before, and what a joke that was, wrecked again by the critters. I had bought a metal piece that inserts into the whole in the gutter, that goes into the downspout, and would work with the pieces I already had. I don't have extra $$, and besides there is no going out and buying anything from HD right now anyway.

I did find my very favorite tape for fixing things, it is a metal tape. I've used it on my van's roof, and other things, and it was going to be put to use for this project now. So, that's what I worked on yesterday morning.   I was always my husband's ready helper no matter what the project. (He thanked me for that when he was bedridden those last 4 months of his earthly life. I MISS helping him.) Now, I have to try to figure out what to do and give it my best shot.

So, here are before and after pics, going with what I had on hand and going with the flow, praying as I went along. The 'coons had taken the little downward insert from the gutter and I don't know what they did with it, which is partly why this whole thing fell apart.


Here's my metal tape work. Where there's a will, there's a way.


The top portion goes from the gutter into the top of the rain barrel, the bottom part takes overflow water out and down to the french drain that goes out to the front away from the house.
 

 It's pretty tight in place now and hopefully will last me a good while.


Glad that is done, one less worry to deal with. 

Now for some pretties and happy stuff.

I love hearts and am always happy to find one. This was found a few days ago. It's a seed pod.


This one I found yesterday evening in the driveway. Do you think my Vionic garden clogs have seen better days? The arch support is great. I got these in 2016 I think at a discounted place who sold shoes. They looked great when new, now not so nice and the strap on both shoes is all stretched out. I wear tie ups when working outside these days, these are just for quick walks outside.


This is a knockout rose.


Don't know the name of this rose, no tag when I bought it a few years ago. The color and scent are fantastic.


 Afternoon sun hitting plum cottage and the prolific orange reed orchids.


 Here are some vanda 'Miss Joachim' orchids, growing with little care from me. 


 The reflections in water caught my eye.


That's it for now. May tomorrow be a day that is bright and filled with hope and joy.

FlowerLady

18 comments:

Thelma said...

Hi Lorraine. You did a great job on the downspout.
You are a strong lady. Have courage and God will help you through this.
Take care dear and stay strong. Thelma xo

ellen b. said...

Happy to hear you are connecting online with family and friends. That is really helpful in these days we find ourselves in. Good for you for rigging up that gutter! 40 days is a long time. Glad you have persevered!

Nancy J said...

You always amaze me, with the garden chores, inside tidy ups, always some beautiful photos, and news of the weeks as they fly by,. almost 4 weeks in lockdown here, and I seem to have achieved very little.Some winter hats for someone??? Today cut a few strips for a quilt along with Sandra, over at MMM-Quilts, and the usual laundry6m firewood inside, and meals. We will know at 4 p.m. if we go to a less restricted level or stay the same, with 9 new cases, teachers so against a lessening of the tight control, small businesses crying to be allowed to start again, a hard call for our P.M. And those who help. I am so thankful our family can all work at home. XXXX

Ann said...

I never would have guessed your macro mystery item.
Good job on fixing that downspout. I don't like having to take care of all those home repair projects by myself. Since I have no choice I usually have a little cry over it and then tell myself to get it done.

pilar said...

Good morning Lorraine! When you mentioned the Miss Joachim orchids growing like weeds, I couldn't picture it, so thanks for sharing the photo of them as a group. They're wonderful. And hearts, you've found some hearts! I know you're the Flower Lady but you're also the Heart Lady, to me. I've told you I've begun to be on the lookout for them in my surroundings and it's fun/special to find that they're there all along, waiting to be seen. Great job with the downspout-- those coons are incorrigible! And while I'm sorry you felt anxious and lay awake worrying, I'm glad you shared your experience. It makes me feel less alone in mine. I wish you a blessed and beautiful week!

Lynn and Precious said...

Lorraine, I am thinking the puzzle of fixing the downspout was like a good
needed brain teaser! Hope those rascals stay off it for a while.
Yes, this isolation is boring at the least. Glad Zoom worked out and
will for your ladies group. Love seeing the sun in your garden. It is
sunny here today for the first in 5 days and it will be 55 degrees later.
Hope to get in my usual 2 mile walk in the area. Take care and keep up
your spirits. Jesus never leaves us. I read a good quote once "we are
eternally connected to God" I think on this often.

Ferree Bowman Hardy said...

Your photos are beautiful and so is your spirit. I wish we lived closer and I could help with that downspout but it looks like you've done a great job with it. I'm in a one-bedroom apartment right now and have some not-so neighborly neighbors who like their music more than I do, but hearing rain pounding on the metal awnings is very tough. I'll pray about these things and am grateful for you sharing your life online all these years. You are making the world a better place even though you can't get out right now.

Henny Penny said...

Lorraine, you really do a good job of repairing and keeping things going around your place. I help Poppy with projects around here too. It's good to know these things. You have such a pretty place and I've just never seen so many beautiful flowers and secret gardens. I can just imagine how you felt lying in bed listening to the rain and noise and worrying about things. So thankful for a merciful God who hears and comforts us.

Ruth Hiebert said...

You are very resourceful in those fix-up jobs. I love the reflection shot. It is so pretty.

A Joyful Cottage said...

Lorraine, you are an inspiration. I just admire so much how you tackle things that need to be done, and I know that the Lord is with you and guiding you in every way. Plum Cottage is just beautiful under your stewardship. I have to tell you that I listen to the song you posted awhile back "Safely In His Arms" by Joshua Aaron almost every night before I close my eyes to sleep. And sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night and feel anxious, I bring it up on Youtube and listen to it again. It calms me and I go right back to sleep. So, thank you dear friend for posting that wonderful song. It's like a lullaby. Hugs, Nancy

Joy said...

Hi Lorraine, I went to Living and Gardening in the Ozarks this morning (after a quick hop to my old blog for a story about percolators) and saw your blog posted as one of Glenda’s favorites! I can see why, lots of great gardening pictures and you share your life with your readers so easily. We live in the Ozarks too, NW Arkansas. It’s been a a long 40 days for us too, we are homebodies but this is so different. We watch the news and everyday I copy down the stats as they give them. For Benton County we are 40 cases and no deaths, but over all Arkansas has 42 deaths. Very truthful to say to share the worries that go through our head before we finally drop off to sleep. I’ll be following, you boosted my sprits and that quite a statement at this point!

XXOO
JOY

Anne Payne said...

Your haven is like a tropical paradise!! I've discovered several heart shaped rocks in one of our aquariums. :-)

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Lorraine, I am so proud of your ingenuity. That was some great looking fix. I have never tried Zoom but I know a lot of people use it. So glad you got to spend "time" with your family. That must have helped alot. Now that you have done it, I'm sure there will be no stopping! Take care my friend and look forward to sunny days. My lilac's are starting to bloom!..Stay well..xxoJudy

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Great job with making do! I love to read about how people do with what they've got!
Have a terrific week.
Hugs,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

BeachGypsy said...

Hi there Lorraine....the last three pictures on this post.....oh my!--so very pretty! I love visiting your little cottage and your gorgeous wild gardens with all the bright blooming flowers--always a treat. I always see/learn about a new flower each time. You have so many I've never seen before. I like learning about them. Hope your week is going well. Do you have any sunflowers?

Hootin Anni said...

Well, the mystery was a good one. Never guessed! The resourceful work you've done is magnificent. Love the flowers. And, like you, I find & photograph hearts!!

Jillayne said...

Your rainspout fix is amazing - you did a great job. I used to love reading your blog posts about you and your husband's doings down there at Plum Cottage, and your fix on the drain reminds me so much of those days.
Having to take care of everything on your own must be daunting at times, especially now, with everything turned upside down. Living through this is such a challenge for those who live alone and I'm so glad for you that Zoom works to bring you and your family and friends together - those connections are so important right now.
Take care and stay safe,
Jillayne

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm glad that you had Zoom get together with your loved ones. I also had a few Zoom chats with my daughters. It was good to see the granddaughters as well. Your knock out red rose is beautiful. And the water fountain is charming. Oh, you found a seed pod in the shape of a heart! I love when that happens.

I hope you are doing well at this time. Take care and stay safe, Lorraine.

~Sheri