Thursday, April 16, 2020

Up, down, up, down....

Hi folks ~ Like a yo-yo our emotions go, up, down, up, down, praying we have more ups than downs in this time of isolation. I'm not perfect, I'm human and have my times of down, especially after I've posted something positive. The evil one wants to destroy our faith and he does try his best, but his best is NOT good enough. He's NOT in control. The One, Jesus, who lives inside of me is GREATER and He brings me back up when I'm down. Either through scripture, prayer, emails, texts, family, friends, nature, He is always working in our behalf, for our ultimate good.

Yesterday I was in a funk during the day, then a dear friend called, then later my dear BIL and SIL called, then I watched my pastor's Wed. Bible study, then afterwards was able to put the zoom app on my phone and tablet and I went to bed thankful and lighter feeling than I had been earlier. 

Being able to zoom with family and friends is going to be great! I'll let you know how it goes after I've participated in a session. My SIL said she did it with 55 ladies from BSF on Sat morning and it was fantastic. Modern technology has been a blessing in it's positive aspects, not the negative ones. To be able to reach out to others is a gift.

I have an online blogging friend who posted today and the title was *Today is Blursday*, then she wrote, "everyday is Blursday."  What an apt description of what time is like since our having to isolate ourselves from others, some home from jobs, etc. Our routines have been disrupted so that we have to check the calendars, phones or computers to see what day it really is. 

It has been a time of rest from the hectic world we live in. I read somewhere this morning that because of everything being shut down around the world, nature sounds are being heard where they've not been heard in a long time. 

Before this 'isolation station' happened, I thought of joining my local botanical garden again, for a $50 fee for the whole year and I could go there any time I felt like it to enjoy it's peace and beauty. I put it off, and feel that was God's doing, because I would not have been able to go. I then thought, I have my very own little botanical garden right here. I keep working on the different areas and making forward progress in this time of 'going nowhere'.

So, here are more blooms to share with you. I know some of you are still having snow and I hope this will help cheer you up. Others of you are locked indoors with no place to go for fresh air and spring beauty, may you enjoy blooms from Plum Cottage also.

Below is 'Carnation' rose. Such a beauty. Lots of buds on her right now.







Next are pics of my 'sweetheart' rose, at least that was the name I was given when I bought it.





Below are two white flowering plants that have delicate, lovely scents. The first is 'basket plant flower', Callisia fragrans.  This plant creeps along, spreading itself prolifically.

The second is an Angel wing Begonia, Begonia Odorata. This plant is easily propagated by cuttings. 



Next we have 'Dancing Ladies' orchids.

  These are blooms from 'Giant Milkweed'. The leaves of this plant are velvety, silvery green and huge. The blossoms beautiful.

 'Tahitian Gardenia'

This little flowering plant is an unknown to me.

 
 This is 'Blue Lips'.

 'Texas Sage'

Here is an unknown. I have the name somewhere, but can't remember where. ;-)




Here is an upcoming project to work on, the St. Francis garden area. There is a path there, but it is overgrown with a ground cover.

 
Next pics are of another garden project tackled last week, still a work in progress, but it makes me feel so much better already.






I think that's it for now. Keep focused on positive, beautiful things. (On a positive note, the virus cases and deaths are declining in our area, and we may have another three weeks to a month of isolation. Hoping and praying this may be true and for the best for us all.) Do what you can when you feel like it. Don't stress as much as possible. 

Love, hugs and prayers for all,
FlowerLady 

18 comments:

lil red hen said...

Lovely, uplifting post.

Nancy J said...

The little chair is waiting, love those flowers, and for us the isolation might last for a long time, as those over 70 are advised to stay home for many more weeks. But nature gives us beauty, this morning a glimmer of lighter sky behind darker grey clouds, a friend running home after her early morning run along vacant streets, an online grocery order yesterday, everything detailed on lists, what was supplied, what was out of stock, and all the chilled and frozen just as they should be. I so value those who work behind the scenes or walls, wherever they are in this world. Meantime, I will try and finish a face mask I started for a friend who is a health care worker, the brighter batik fabrics might go over her white regulation one, and give a longer life to the ones supplied.

Ann said...

Your garden is a most welcome sight. It was snowing here this morning so I enjoyed these a lot

Ruth Hiebert said...

I have been experiencing that same roller coaster of emotions . Mostly, though, I am on the up side. your lovely flowers sure help to brighten the day.

ellen b. said...

I listened to a podcast and the speaker warned us on focusing on our feelings but to focus on Jesus. Turn your eyes upon Jesus and His truth and promises instead of feelings. Yesterday was a cloudy day here and it was easy to get "down" and then thankfully the sun shone through and that was uplifting. Hang in there!

Louca por porcelana said...

Beautiful flowers!Hugs and blessings.

firefly819 said...

Here in Michigan , it is snowing. i would gladly pay $50 fee to drive to your garden and take a tour. Those orchids would be worth the trip.

pilar said...

I think Florida was hit terribly with this virus, so I'm glad to hear it's getting stabilized. Fingers-crossed, for all communities everywhere, that within a month we'll be allowed to slowly resume our routines. The title and content of this post is in direct response to my first thought this morning: I wish I could sustain calm and stop being so moody, so up and down, my stomach is paying for it! God is kind and acts quickly, eh? You are a blessing, Lorraine! Also, I take comfort in knowing that even a person as Faithful as you are will still experience fear, etc. Your begonia is a stunning plant, we have one that's more plain than yours but I really enjoy to look at it. Your flowers are all so beautiful. Could you possibly name one favourite? The area around the chair looks so nice after you cleaned up, but those overgrown paths look like heavy work to clean up. I hope your day will be lovely. Many thanks for posting!

Lynn and Precious said...

Your pictures of the lovely botanical garden you have at home are just
what I needed to see this slightly snowy cold day. I wish it were warm
enough to open the front door to gaze at my grape hyacinths! We must
all try to stay upbeat and find ways to connect with the outside world
while staying safe and healthy. Hope Zoom works for you, Lorraine.

Pom Pom said...

You really are a flower lady! So pretty! You DO have your own botanic gardens, I agree!

Cheryl said...

I think "yo-yo" is a great description of how we all feel . . . sometime even in the same day!

I'm glad you didn't buy the ticket for the botanical garden before all of this. Maybe another time, it will be the right thing. But yes, you have such a lovely botanical garden there at Plum Cottage!!

Homemaker's Heart said...

Oh, I just love your garden project and the pictures are so lovely and uplifting. Have you ever done a "tour" of your little garden get away. I would love to see how you added to the little building.

Hugs and wishing you peace,
Dee

Anne Payne said...

Your 'secret garden' is enchanting!!! I love the bench under the shade tree.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

So good to see your flowers!!!!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello. I notice you are having trouble with the pictures on your blog too. I had to reload some of mine on my latest post. I know how you feel with ups and downs. This is a challenging time for all. I am glad you were able to get hooked up with zoom so you can see the faces and hear the voices of friends and loved ones. God bless you with peace and joy, Lorraine. Virtual hugs.

Annie said...

This whole "self-isolation" thing is definitely taking it's toll on me too. I am naturally an introvert so I am ok staying home but even I need to see and talk to others. My little Bible Study group uses Zoom for our weekly meetings and it is a HUGE blessing! I'm so glad you will be able to use it!

It is so comforting knowing God is in control in these uncertain times and using even this for our good. I have to DAILY remind myself of that.

I am so glad I "met" you on Homespun Devotions! I am excited to read your blog and see your progress on your projects!

I am praying for you!

Love,
Annie

Deborah Montgomery said...

My first thought when you mentioned the botanical gardens was that you already live in one! Your flowers are so pretty. We are not allowed to buy any gardening items at all here in Michigan because they are not considered "essential." Even when they're sold at stores that are already open for other things. I think it would be good for all of us to be in our backyards happily planting right now! Hopefully in a few weeks we will be allowed to. The cases here also seem to be declining which we're all grateful for. Stay safe. xo Deborah

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I seldom comment, but you dried my tears this morning. Many health issues surfacing, they roll in at 80. But thank you again, keep writing, showing your wonderful flowers and you are loved and appreciated
God Bless You