Friday, December 28, 2012

A Sanctuary Garden

 

Below, taken from the book ~ ‘Sanctuary ~ Gardening for the Soul’ given to my by Gina of Antique Art Garden.

“A sanctuary garden is an environment we choose to create as a personal refuge.  Surrounded by green living things, we experience feelings of contentment, and we are able to find peace. Our gardens quite literally heal us, restoring equilibrium to both our bodies and our minds.

A garden lends itself to endless creativity, its design limited only by your imagination.

You’ll see reflected in the garden, with its daily small miracles and multitude of interdependent lives, its unfolding growth and its inevitable tragedies, the patterns of your own existence.”

***

Dear Husband and I worked at creating a haven here on our 1/4 acre. Now I truly want to turn it into a sanctuary, a place of healing and contemplation. Even though there is a 4 lane highway right out front, we felt peace just pulling into our driveway. The day I brought DH’s cremains home, when I pulled into the driveway and stopped before the gates, I said ‘We’re home’. Although, technically he’s ‘home’ and I’m still vacationing as it were, as this is just my temporary home.

Anyway, my gardens have been really neglected since August and now I’m starting to slowly work in my evolving sanctuary. DH knew he could always find me in one garden area or another and that’s where I’ll be spending a lot of my time. Here is a lovely sign that came in my pkg. from Gina. DH would like this.

12-25-3

23 December I worked on the overgrown path of my shed’s garden. I’ve still got to weedwack around the outer edge.

12-23-st-fran

Christmas day I worked in my main garden and made forward progress. There is still a LOT to do, and I am going to enjoy the process. The paths were all overgrown, and this year I hope to buy more path material which is roll roofing, one roll at a time as I can afford it.

12-28-mn-gard

12-28-mn-gard2

I’ve still got to plant blue pea vines to start growing up the lattice that surrounds the rain barrel we set up earlier this year.

12-28-mn-gard3

This is the front patio that I see from inside in my little creative space. I’ve got some work to do here also and look forward to that.

12-28-frnt-patio

On the 26th when I went out to do errands I took $20 from my Christmas bonus of last year and bought 4 plants from a nursery close by that sells 5 gal sized plants for $5 each. I bought two blue butterfly bushes, and two unknown rose bushes. The roses smell wonderful. If anyone has a clue as to what the rose is, please let me know.

My statue needs a good cleaning. I’ve got to learn how to use the pressure washer. Smile

12-28-blue-butterfly3

12-28-blue-butterfly

12-28-blue-butterfly2

12-28-unkn

12-28-unkn2

12-28-unkn5

I just loved seeing the way these petals are going to unfurl.

12-28-unkn3

That’s it from my little sanctuary. 

Thanks again for all of your love and support.

FlowerLady Lorraine.

16 comments:

Terra said...

I signed up for Terry Hershey's sanctuary newsletter, thanks for the link. Gina is a darling and that is a sweet sign she gave you. You are wise to put energy into your garden at this difficult time. I hope the new year will be one of healing for you.

NickiLee said...

Hi Lorraine,
Wishing you a New Year full of health and happiness and peace in your heart.

Today it's about 25 degrees and there's just a tad bit of snow on the ground to make it feel even colder. Whenever I feel the need to see pretty flowers I visit your Blog...even in the middle of winter your garden looks so pretty. I'd love to take a walk through it as it feels so safe and inviting. I can only imagine how your mind is swimming with many thoughts of playing and creating in it againand I'm so looking forward to Spring and all your new plants.

Big hugs coming from MA
Nicki Lee

jerilanders said...

Rainey, Don't clean your garden statue, she is so antiquated and looks perfect! I never heard of using roofing paper to lay a path, what a great idea, keeps the weeds at bay? It is so true, that the garden is a refuge, and I am sure you feel DH's presence in every nook and cranny, his smile in a flower, and hear his voice in the breeze. PS> Email me your mailing address>

Lynn said...

You must know I’ve always left your blog with the feeling of being in a sanctuary even when I didn’t comment. Thank you so much for repeating the text from Sanctuary ~ Gardening for the Soul. What wonderful words. Absolutely inspired by what you are going to do with your garden. Please don’t clean your lady statue. I put buttermilk on mine to get that wonderful patina. Peace.

Antique ART Garden said...

I do believe our gardens can heal us from many of our problems, ailments, and anguishes. You take care and don't work too hard just yet please!

Nancy J said...

I love your statue, some days that is how so many of us must be. Whew!! with work or heat, or cold snow. Lovely garden views, and beautiful close-ups of your blooms. Greetings from Jean

Balisha said...

Be very gentle with the statue. The aged patina is what so many are after in garden statuary.

Gardening helps the healing process.I spent hours there after my first husband died. I was at peace with my thoughts.

Wishing you a blessed new year. I think you are doing great.
Hugs, Balisha

Kit said...

Looks so wonderful! Glad to hear you are hard at it. With your touch it will be fabulous in no time. You have a Happy New Year! Love, Kit

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Sounds like good plans. I like the new sign!!!! Enjoy your little haven.

Masha said...

IT's a great idea about the sanctuary, there is always peace and joy to be found in the garden, and yours looks like such a perfect place, lush and serene.

Heather said...

Thinking of you and wishing healing and joy in 2013... love all the pictures in this post, and I wouldn't touch your lady at all! Cheers to you!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I have a garden sanctuary too. It is a pond area and is the most relaxing place. No matter if I am watching the fish, talking to the frogs or pulling weeds it is the best place to calm my mind and my spirit.

I like the idea of rolled roofing for the paths. We bought some outdoor carpet to use, but I think the roofing would work really well. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

I'm having a little trouble commenting today, let's see if this one goes through. I think it's on my end and not yours. But anyway I wanted to say that I really thought the way that rose was unfurling was cool. I've never noticed a rose doing that before. I always enjoy the little walks we take in your garden. Hugs XOXOXO

gld said...

Be very careful with the washer on the statue.....you might blow out some of the cement. I like the way it looks right now....people pay money for that finish!

The garden is serving its purpose well...and the sign is perfect.

You will never be finished with the garden which is a very good thing!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Such beauty
and whenever I visit
your gardens
I begin to plan
for Spring here in the woods.

Lona said...

I always have loved looking at your garden. It is hard to believe that there is a four lane highway just beyond the gate and beds. It will be therapeutic to work in your garden a little each day. The sign is so cute. Blessing to you in the New Year ahead Lorraine.