Monday, March 9, 2020

Projects

Hello Folks ~ It is a gray and very windy morning here in s.e. FL. This is the third 'windy' day in a row. Rain has fallen all around, but not on Plum Cottage Gardens. We had some chilly weather come down into our area again and it's been wonderful. 

I've been working on various projects and have more to do in the next couple of weeks. Plus I am dealing with letting go of part of the past and will share that later, I have to wait for 'the rest of the story', before sharing.

I usually work 2-3 hours outside, depending on what I do. That's when my body starts telling me 'ok, you've done enough for now'.

I've been working on the 'secret garden'. There was a shrub that was getting too big in the front and I realized I'd better dig it up as it was probably growing down into the septic field areas. Plus, there was a wild petunia vine that spreads like crazy and is so hard to pull up, but eventually one can make forward progress. The picture below was taken 10-17-19.

 
These next photos are from  02-06-20




 .There is still more work to do in the secret garden, all in good time.

In the next two weeks, I've got to clear an area between my barn and the neighbors to the west of me. I found out the other day that they are selling their place. YIKES! I've been saving money to replace the falling down privacy fencing and had gone over to tell them I would be doing it soon. Well, soon has turned into the 21st. I put out an SOS to the 'Eat and Go' men's group that help people with projects at our church. 5-6 of them will be here to do the work. (It is so hard to ask for help, but, that is what this men's ministry is all about. I pray God's blessings on them.)

This area has really become overgrown, one thing is a native passion vine. I've not really been back there to check things out since last Sept when getting the plywood out to cover windows because of Hurricane Dorian. This 'back 40' with barn, and the storage building were my dear husband's domain, what he took care of.  Plus there is his workshop and the area surrounding it. Sometimes it is so dang overwhelming I can hardly stand it. That's when I cry out to Jesus to be my strength, to give me energy, to fill my heart with gladness instead of sadness. I have much to be thankful for.

 This is the passion vine, you can see a flower at the bottom of photo, it is covering a couple of thryalis shrubs that have the yellow flowers.




Ashamedly, I have to admit I do get jealous of those who still have husbands, who have an income, so that projects get done, money not being an object. Shame on me. Lately, I've been watching you tube videos about people and how they live around the world, and I am rich compared to how they are living, which makes me feel thankful for the life God has blessed me with.

Now I'll share pics from front patio area where I have put the two Don Juan climbing roses. They don't get as much sun as they will get shortly, but seem to be doing ok, new growth. I need to dead head the spent blooms.

Before below. There is still more tweaking to be done in this area, as time goes on.

 
  I had to take out the old cement bases plants had been sitting on because the rose pots are two large. The bases are stacked up in the secret garden area waiting for me to figure out what to do with them.




 This is looking out my window this morning. This statue is 'the weeping woman'. We bought it many, many years ago at a local flea market for $10.



In needleworking news, here are more crocheted cross covered rocks.

 
And here is a sweet surprise. A friend from church gave me a lamp that had been her mothers. She knew I loved roses and thought I would like it, as she's not really a rose person, like I am. It fits right into FlowerLady's eclectic look.


Ok, I think that is it. Enough of an overload for you. So, if you don't see me in the next couple of weeks, you'll know why.

Let us keep focused on God, call out to Him in prayer for our needs, for the needs of our country, and the whole world. Let us be thankful, forgiving, encouraging, patient and kind. God bless and keep you all, and may we all be drawn closer to Him.

FlowerLady

14 comments:

Terra said...

Thank you for the recommendation for Beholding and Becoming, what a beautiful treasure this book is, I ordered a copy and it arrived Saturday. I like how you worked to reveal your secret garden, and now the men from church will rebuild your privacy fence. Sometimes, like you, I find home maintenance overwhelming. Then I remember God is in charge, thank goodness.

lil red hen said...

I love all your vegetation ~ so lush and green. We've just come through a very wet winter, but things are springing forth in new growth. I have high hopes for beautiful flowers and the deer probably have high hopes for a tasty meal! I'm ashamed to admit that I have jealous feelings sometimes about how pretty some gardens are; I don't covet them, just wish mine could look the same. Maybe they put in more work than I do. May God bless your helpers!

Morning's Minion said...

I am always impressed with your gardening labors. In Kentucky I've had to learn that many plants that were well behaved in New England can rapidly invade spaces here in Kentucky. I can't imagine gardening in Florida where year-round warm and humid weather doesn't give one much break from trimming and weeding. If only we had the energy [and the funds] for all the projects we imagine! Perhaps contentment is something we have to deliberatly practice and encourage.

Nancy J said...

Giving is so much easier than asking for help, but I have found that most friends or neighbours give so willingly, and knowing your inner strength and faith, help will arrive when needed. I have a feeling that along with the fence, more will be done by those wonderful generous men. Last week I had to ask for a friend to drive me somewhere, and another to drive me on another day. It all fitted in so well with where they were going, and I was SO thankful.

Ruth Hiebert said...

You are so ambitious and also get so much done. I understand the twinges of envy for those who still have a husband to do much of the work, but this is where God wants us right now.

Ann said...

What a pretty little lamp that is.
I don't have all the gardening to take care of that you do but I can understand the feeling of being overwhelmed at times. It's not easy when you have to take care of everything by yourself.

Henny Penny said...

Oh Lorraine, your gardens are simply beautiful. It must be fun to walk around and look at everything. Your secret garden is looking so pretty. Glad you will have help with the fence. That's wonderful. We have had the windiest winter every!! Never seen anything like it...wet and windy. When the rain stops, the wind blows. :)

Deb J. in Utah said...

Lorraine, You have been working hard! Be kind to yourself - you have challenges, but you are doing wonderfully and God is so aware. You are making great progress. I love the rose lamp. It is so you. Hugs from UT.

Lynn and Precious said...

You must be overwhelmed some days, Lorraine. Asking and receiving help
is sometimes just a part of life. So glad you have folks that are able
and willing to work on the fence for you. I just love your gardens
and statues and yard art! It is so beautiful. Don't let everyday
life get you down. And do not over work in the heat!

Mother Em said...

Love, love your little cottage. Let us know the listing of your neighbor who is selling. If we get to be your next-door-neighbor, I'd try to help as much as I can. Love Florida and wish we could move. Take it easy, let the young men do more than you think you can ask ...they're young and "there" for YOU. Take care. Em / Mary in Georgia

firefly819 said...

Think of it this way. The young men who will be building your fence are doing the work of God here on earth. Allow them to help and they will be better for it. My prayers are with you. I have a husband and he has never done yard work. He works six days and ten hours a day. So, I am the gardener since I retired from teaching. Try not to get overwhelmed. Rest, crochet and let God fill your day with flowers.

ellen b. said...

Yards with vegetation are a lot of work but they afford us a lot of beauty, too. I'm glad you have some resources from church to help you out. There's only so many hours I can spend with physical work before my body complains. It's good to listen. Hope God continues to give you the contentment you need to face your days.

Kim said...

Lorraine, that is one serious jungle you're working your way through! So many wonderful nooks and crannies to expose and restore. A good time of year for it. Those men will love doing anything you need done. Men love to rescue women. It's in their nature. Keep that in mind. That lamp is so cute! Very you! Have a lovely day and hope it's a nice, sunny one!

M.K. said...

You're doing so much work! It's looking good, FL!