Friday, March 20, 2020

Forward Progress in Secret Garden

Good Friday afternoon Friends ~ I hope you are all doing well, finding things to do in this mandatory 'down time'. I've been working outside, 2-3 hours in the mornings. It feels good getting things done outside before the heat and humidity really come down on us. Had a few sprinkles today, could use a good watering and we still may get a shower the way the clouds are looking.

My gift of groceries was just delivered a little while ago. Now I won't have to think about going out until the end of next week or the beginning of the next one. Last night I cooked up some brown rice with herbs, spices and olive oil, then mixed in a drained can of Navy beans. Pretty tasty and filling. I have three kinds of rice, and several different kinds of dried beans, so if worse comes to worse, I've got those to fix and eat. Beans are good for us. I do have some canned goods, and chicken and ground beef and ground lamb in the freezer.  Saving the lamb for Easter.

I didn't know until this morning what I would fix for my bday dinner today, and right now, dough is making in my bread machine for pizza crust. I have a good sauce, some Italian sausage, olives and the moz. cheese. Have the ingredients to make my bday celebratory drink also, a margarita. 

The scents filling the air here are wonderful, jasmine, roses, and two types of gardenias. There were birds, bees, butterflies and even a hummingbird visiting while I was in the 'secret garden' this morning. What a thrill!

Below are pics of the Tahitian Gardenia. This is wonderful!!!!





 This is how the 'secret garden' looked in October last year, and how it still was when I decided to take out that shrub in the front a month or so ago.

 This is how it looked on the 16th. Getting that shrub out of there took some time, roots I'm sure had gone down into the drain field, from out of the pot that the plant was in, that's why it was doing so well.




Next, from the 18th.



Today's look, still some tweaking to do, but I'm happy.




This tree limb above, came down in either 2004 or 2005 with those three hurricanes that we had. It is beautiful and my dear husband made a stand for it and it's bolted into the bottom, but after this many years, with decay, it's wobbly. I've got it propped up in the back with bricks, etc. and also with that piece of 2x2 on the one side. It feels sturdy today, and yesterday I saw a cat up on it. ;-)

Here are some more pics  of flowers, etc.

This is an epiphyte, they grow all over, with no help from me.


Front patio, which is still being tweaked.


A knockout rose.

Azaleas

Can't remember offhand what this is.

Reed orchids.

Thunbergia

 Ok, that's it for now. Be well, be calm, be thankful.

I do have times of 'worry attacks', but when they happen, I pray and thank Jesus for taking care of me. Reading Psalms 91  and other Bible scripture is wonderful for filling our minds and hearts with God's goodness and His promises to us. There are lots of you-tube videos that are spiritually uplifting, as well as plenty of devotionals, and ministers giving encouraging msgs. We don't have to fill our minds with all of the negative stuff that is being put out.

This experience will be a thing of the past. Going through it will teach us things, about life, about ourselves and about God, and make us appreciate so much more, things we might have taken for granted. We can do our part by staying home more, cleanliness, etc. Prayer works wonders too.


Thank you for all of your kind comments. 

FlowerLady

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful gardens! And Happy Birthday!! Andrea

lil red hen said...

A secret garden ~ it sounds so enchanting! I'd love to have one to sit in and rest.

Mitzi said...

You are making wonderful progress inyour garden. So many beautiful flowers! I love gardenias!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Happy Birthday . Hope your day has been special in some way. Thanks for sharing your lovely flowers. I trust that this whole Covid-19 experience will help us to grow and become more christlike.

ellen b. said...

Your garden is looking lovely. It's always great to get things tidied up. A very happy birthday to you! Our little granddaughter shares your Spring birthday.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love your secret garden. It looks so lovely. Happy Birthday to you!!

Nancy J said...

Your garden is always a delight, love that deep rose, I can almost smell the perfumes. The little pathway looks great, you are a trooper to do so much. Down here, all of us over 70 are being advised to stay home. So far 3 friends have already offered to do grocery shopping and anything else we need, I think our small local library will close on Monday, family cannot fly up or drive down, family are working from home, and the health department think there might be 2 community cases. Not travel related. This is scary in our small country. I know your faith will be with you every day, and you encourage us all to have faith too.XXXXXX

Ann said...

You've been really busy out there. It's coming right along and looking great. I wouldn't mind having a secret garden in my back yard. I'm a horrible gardener though so it will never happen :L

I'm late but happy birthday

Ruth said...

You are a wonderful, loving gardener, and it shows! Happy, Happy Birthday to you dear FlowerLady - The Spirit of the Lord is upon you!

Lynn and Precious said...

One thing good about your hard work in the gardens, it leaves little time
to think on the world outside your home. It is snowing lightly here in Ohio
this morn, but I do have daffodils trying to open. So seeing your
flowers and greenery is amazing this time of year. Glad you got supplies
delivered and we all pray for a good out come soon. Stay healthy and safe.

jerilanders said...

Totally agree with you that, when all of this is over and done, we will have learned a good deal from it... in so many ways. Prayer is always key.
Love the Secret Garden, it is very lush and cozy. Jeri Landers

Anne Payne said...

You did a lot of work this week! The secret garden is looking good. I've been sick so no energy for anything but laying around watching tv. Stay safe and healthy, my friend ~

Vee said...

Your garden is beautiful. I recognize three flowers that I also grow in my garden...knock-out roses and azaleas. It’ll be awhile before I see mine so I am happy to enjoy yours. It is good to stay busy, especially out of doors. Happy belated birthday! I am glad that you found a way to honor your day. It’s not easy to live alone in times like these. Good thing that The Lord is with us.

GretchenJoanna said...

Oooooh, the gardenia... Yummiest thing I've seen today!

Junkchiccottage said...

Lorraine it is looking so great. What a place of beauty your new sanctuary and secret garden will be. All your flowers thrive and are so beautiful from the love and attention you give them.
We should all call you the garden angel.
xoxo
Kris

Kit said...

Hello my friend!! Happy Birthday!! Your pizza sounded great. Everything looks wonderful. You did a lot of work. Your place looks amazing. Take care and stay home. Love you, KK

Terra said...

Happy birthday friend. Homemade pizza and a margerita, I would like to come over and celebrate with you. I admire your gardenias, I have tried a couple times and I can't grow them. Maybe I will buy another this summer. Thank you for reminding me that this crisis will be in the past eventually.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a great Birthday Dinner for you. I'd love a piece of that pizza please!!!!! YUM....

Your yard is looking good... You have really been working hard...

My prayer for you is that you will remain virus-free ---and continue being as healthy as possible....

Stay HEALTHY and SAFE.
Hugs,
Betsy

M.K. said...

Your secret garden is looking so pretty and tidy - that's hard work, but look at the results! Our knock-outs are about to bloom too :)