Sunday, December 20, 2020

Update

Greetings from Plum Cottage ~ thanks for your prayers, they are much appreciated.

A quick update on my fall yesterday. Sean and I had worked steadily for around 2 1/2 hours when I stumbled and fell. (I think I didn't pick up my feet like I should have, as that does happen when I'm working in the gardens and need to quit.) 

I just sat on a rock til I could get myself back together somewhat. I wanted to just bawl, but just breathed and thanked Jesus it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Even now, I don't know 'why' this had to happen now. But things happen and we learn to go with the flow. I did have a pity party later and texted my widow friend Rita and my sis in law Sue asking for prayer, which they both did. Rita called me and I cried and we talked, laughed a bit and she prayed for me before we hung up.

 On a kind of funny note, with my right hand being out of commission to some degree, I had to go to the bathhroom,  & couldn't get my pants unzipped fast enough, so ended up wetting myself. Sheesh!

What am I to make of this, I'm not sure. On the 9th it was the 8 year anniversary of my dear husband's home going,today is his birthday, and Christmas without him is Friday. I have much to be thankful for, and am, this year has just been hard on everyone, some more so than others. I do know that I need to set limits on how much physical labor I do, as I'm not able to go and do like I could before. It's been over 10 years probably since I worked as hard as I did yesterday. I did say to Sean once that I was feeling tired, and he told me to take a break. I did for maybe 5 minutes at the most. My husband used to come out and tell me it's time to stop, when he knew I'd been outside working for a long period of time.

So, at this time, I will sit more, thinking about and resting in God's tender care. I'm not to stress, and to let Sean do more of the work. It's just that I always helped my husband with every project. I enjoy it, but there does come a time, sometimes, when we have to step back relax.

When Sean got here I asked him if he could do a couple of things before we got started on the tree trimming. Take the last bit of window covering off of the bump out window in the scullery. The top was covered as were the sides, stopping a lot of light from coming in. Plus, I couldn't open the top window for fresh air. He did that. Yay! Then he took out the tiny a.c. that was in the scullery's east window. Yay again. More light and more fresh air into the house. (I will get to the dishes one thing at a time, just haven't felt like it today.)


 Now for the pics of my boo boo. The first two, after my fall. I landed on a rock, in the rock border of St. Francis garden. Not sure which rock I fell on, but ended up sitting on the one laying down instead of it's usual position of being upright. I couldn't get up by myself. I couldn't get up by his just pulling me up as my knees are just not what they used to be. I told him to get the garden stool that's low so I could get that far up, then said, you're just going to have to pick me up with your arms around me and lift. That worked fine. Sheesh!


These photos below are from this morning. Miss Tork was my little comforter.

  

 

God blessed me with another heart. I had come in with my dirty shoes on and left some debris on the floor in front of my chair. At first I just saw a leaf, and told myself I would get it later. Well, when I looked later I had to get my cameral. There was another heart gift for me. A gift telling me I am loved, and even though I am hurt and now healing/recuperating, it could have been worse.


Last evening I sat and watched a you-tube video that was wonderfully awesome. I am oh so thankful to my Creator, for what he has done, what he is doing and what he will do in the future.


Have a lovely, peace filled Christmas week.

FlowerLady

14 comments:

Morning's Minion said...

What a painful fall! I am very stubborn once I start work in the garden. I KNOW that I can't work as I used to and that not quitting when tired has a negative impact. Still, I usually keep at it until I'm about ready to howl. Your experience is a reminder!
I'm glad you've found peaceful and encouraging things to do while healing.

ellen b. said...

Ouch! So sorry about your fall and the bruising and swelling. Praying God will heal you quickly and that you will fill your days with joy because of all we have in Christ! Merry Christmas!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I am so sorry to hear about your fall. That was a nasty one, and I am thankful you are not hurt worse than you are, but that is bad enough. I pray that nothing is broken...I assume you've checked it out thoroughly. Yes, we ladies sometimes need to be told when to quit for the day. I tend to push myself to the limits and then I suffer for it. I am glad you weren't alone when it happened...and also glad you have your sweet kitty for comfort. The heart leaf is perfect. I love how God sends us His love in special little messages like that. Now just take it easy and don't push yourself too hard. One day at a time. God bless you.

Lynn and Precious said...

Lorraine, your hand and wrist look so swollen and painfully bruised. Please put some ice on it and be very careful what you try to do pick up or lift or even take the lid off of things. So glad that you had Sean when you fell, but I guess it would not have happened if you both were not there working. You're in my prayers but this heals quickly. I see that Miss Tork is keeping you company, thank goodness.

Nancy J said...

Falls happen in an instant, thank goodness you were not alone. Time will heal the bruising, and Christmas will happen, as you face it, not alone, but without your darling man. He is with you in spirit, and would have been there as you fell. XXXX

Ruth Hiebert said...

Ouch! That doesn’t look real good. I do hope it heals well.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

May your injuries heal quickly. It's a good thing Sean was there when you fell. How nice to see a heart there waiting for you as soon as you had time to see it.

It looked so pretty and bright with your windows open at the top and the light coming into yur home.

Terra said...

Oh Rainey, what a shock for you to fall like that. One minute you are working in the garden, the next moment you hit the ground hard. It is good you were not alone when you fell! Your hand looks so swollen and purple. Be well, dear. Remember we are not as young as we used to be. Christmas is a time for hope and love and I am sending you some hope and love with this post.

Ann said...

OUCH, your arm/wrist looks painful. Your fall was worse than the one I took last week. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Lorraine. Your arm and hand look painful. As one who broke my hand in a fall last spring, I would say perhaps you should have it looked at and xrayed. Is it possibly broken? I sure hope not. Fall is a very unfortunate part of getting older, but rest assured that you are loved. Sending love, hope and prayers this week. Merry Christmas.

Gary said...

Hi Lorraine
I haven't blogged for so long. Too long. So, so glad you are still out there. Peeing yourself....haha.....hilarious! That happens to all of us three in the gardens. Secret is not to care less lol. We have had a lucky year workwise, but an awful year personally. I AM glad you saw the heart in the leaf. We never know why they appear, but they do. I like to think that if we actually notice something like this, then someone wants us to. Have a peaceful, blessed, and pain free Christmas x

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, so sorry to hear you are hurt, my dear. It really does look painful - my goodness! So glad that you were not alone.....and that you didn't break anything or require stitches. Still - it does look quite serious and I do hope you will not over-extend yourself and let it heal. I'm sure you were distracted with all the emotion of your beloved's anniversaries and trying to get as much done as you could while you had the help. Next time listen to your beloved when he tells you to stop :) So sweet that he sent you the heart. Your kitchen does look very pretty and bright now. I fell in the garden last year and lay on the ground for a half hour trying to pry my foot out from under the stump it was wedged under. It is very scary to fall and it makes you much more cautious. Remember to take your cell phone everywhere you go. I didn't remember....Sending you hugs and blessings for Christmas and hope you recover soon. xx K

Melanie said...

Ouch! Your wrist and hand look swollen and sore. I hope you will heal quickly. This fall sure didn't happen at a good time (not that they ever do) with it being the same time as your husband's birthday and "going home" day. All of it coupled together had to be very hard for you. Thinking of you and praying you feel better and stronger every day.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Oh, Lorraine, I am so sorry. What a mess, when it rains it pours as everyone is so fond of saying, now, including me. Sometimes it makes you think there is a reason for everything that happens. Your arm looks very sore and believe me I know that it is. Baby it along and don't try to do too much until the swelling goes down. I know that will be hard for you to do! Sean sounds like he can be a big help to you. I will give you a laugh now: One day Jerry and I were walking the dog to downtown. Ahead of us, we saw people pushing someone in a wheel chair and when they stopped at the light, the chair tipped and the person fell out. They just picked him up, put him back and went on their merry way. It wasn't funny but we did have to laugh. A little further up the street, someone banged a door (I was leading our big golden on his leash), it scared him and I tripped over his leg and fell flat on my face. I will never forget the sound my head made hitting the sidewalk. I immediately turned black and blue all over my face, and we still had to walk back home. We got our car and went to emergency. I was all right, I know I have a hard head! but they took picture of me as they thought that Jerry had beaten me. They didn't say that but we figured it out after we left. Someday I will show you a picture of my face. So, I guess, after laughing at the poor person falling out of his chair, that was my payback.. Have a quiet Christmas and talk on the phone alot..Stay well, my friend, xxoJudy