Thursday, December 17, 2020

Christmas goodies

Good morning Folks ~ While some of you are freezing it is very warm and somewhat humid down here in s.e. FL. We had another couple of nights of temps in the low 40's, chilly during the day, but our 'cold fronts' never last very long. I just checked the weather, at 6:45 EST and it is 72 and it says we have 'fog'. I'm looking out of the window and it must be a very 'light' fog because I don't really see it. To me it is always a treat to have a foggy morning. Humidity is 100%.

Yesterday I baked a 'Regal Fruitcake' a recipe from my late MIL given to me when we were first married and living in Spain. (DH was in the US Navy). This is a favorite of ours, not your typical fruitcake, no citron. Chocolate chips, maraschino cherries, dates and walnuts. Everyone who has been given this has enjoyed it also.

Here it is with 'Brown Sugar Crescents' another favorite. My dear husband's Aunt Ruthie would bake and send these to his family at Christmas. These are absolutely wonderful!! 


 Now, I'll share the recipes. I will be sharing the goodies with two widow friends, (we are going out to lunch again tomorrow at Chili's, our third time since the pandemic started.) Also sharing with Sean who is helping me with fencing and trimming trees, he will be here again on Sat.

 



 
 REGAL FRUITCAKE

1 c. (8 oz) maraschino cherries
2 c. walnuts
1 8 oz. pkg. pitted dates, chopped
1 1/2 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
        1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. sugar
1 6 oz. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Drain, slice and drain again the maraschino cherries. 

Coarsely chop the walnuts.
 
Chop dates if not already bought that way. 

Grease bottom and sides of a 9 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch loaf pan. Line bottom and sides with parchment paper or brown paper (cut from a bag) and grease the paper. 

Set the oven at 300 degrees. Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. 

Beat until thick and light and piled softly the eggs and vanilla. Gradually add while beating, the sugar.  

Mix in with a spoon, cherries, nuts and dates. Add the chocolate chips. 

Add the dry ingredients in thirds. Mix only until blended after each addition with spoon. 

Turn batter into pan and spread evenly being sure to fill corners. 

Place a shallow pan containing 2 c. hot water on bottom rack in oven. Place fruitcake on rack above it and bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until it springs back when touched, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out dry, (except there may be melted chocolate on pick). 

Cool 10 minutes on rack, then remove from pan and peel off paper. Turn right side up and completely cool on rack, after 'painting' cake with cider, orange juice, Triple Sec, cherry brandy or grape juice. 

When cool, wrap in foil and store 10 days in the refrigerator before slicing.

 Ha, ha, I didn't wait 10 days. 

 

*********************************

Brown Sugar Crescents


Recipe in my old Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, received for Christmas from my husband's sister Fern, her husband Pepe, and baby Joseph 1970. This cookbook is filled with recipes I've written out from family and friends way back when.


I didn't roll the cookies in powdered sugar but sprinkled it on.

I have been buying 'Happy Eggs'. They are more expensive, but oh so much better than regular eggs. The yolks are so golden not a pale washed out yellow.  I opened this carton to find a humongous egg in the dozen and thought I'd share the photo here.


 I will end this post with some pics of hearts that have just happened to show up in my daily life.

The first photo ~ a yogurt heart in my cereal bowl, then an applesauce heart on dinner plate, and lastly a coffee stain heart on the plate where I sit my coffee filter.

 




I am thankful for the many little heart gifts that God has been blessing me with since He called my dear husband home 8 years ago now. 9 Dec. 2012. They have been leaves, rocks, clouds, food. They are always a pleasant surprise.

That's it for now. Time for my second/final cup of coffee, minus the goodies.

Enjoy your Christmas holidays leading up to Christmas day.  Look for things that bring joy to your heart and soul.

Love, hugs and prayers,

FlowerLady


 

12 comments:

Dewena said...

RH and I are fruitcake lovers but I can see that your recipe would be more of a hit with those who aren't fond of it. And those cookies look and sound delicious too. I guess this will be a week of baking all around the world and good memories of past Christmases will be in our minds. It's always fun to pull out the old recipes, isn't it? I never end up baking half of the recipes I think I will now but still love to remember years that I did bake for days on end. It's precious that you are given hearts to find, Lorraine. I hope you and your friends have a fun and blessed times eating together at Chili's!

Lynn and Precious said...

Lorraine, I will try the fruit cake! Love the idea of cherries and chocolate. And no citron. So glad you will have lunch out with friends. Good way to lift your spirits together, especially at Christmas time. Christmas is the way to celebrate the birth of our Lord, which I am truly thankful for. And you spread your heart with the baking and giving of gifts. And for taking care of yourself and of course, the kitties. Hug Miss Tork for me. Lynn

ellen b. said...

Your little cottage must have had a wonderful aroma from baking these goodies. Thanks for sharing the recipes. I've never tried making fruit cake. I'd like to try those crescents. Hope the rest of your week goes well!

NanaDiana said...

I love that you see those hearts and find them as sweet little signs. We all need special things like that. I think I might like that fruitcake because it doesn't have any of the heavy candied fruits in it that most have.
I hope you have a wonderful blessed afternoon and evening. xo Diana

L. D. said...

I can't eat any of those things anymore but I can admire them from a distance. I have a company that wants me to order a fruitcake from them but that won't happen. Your regal recipe looks great.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your Christmas goodies look very tasty. Hope each day brings a reason to smile.

Ann said...

Both of those recipes sound delicious. Who wouldn't enjoy getting that for a gifts.

BeachGypsy said...

Hi there Lorraine, so glad you stopped in to visit with me. I enjoyed reading about your recipes and I just wanted to say have a precious and blessed time at the lunch at Chili's today...I know you will enjoy it!

M.K. said...

I love it when you share those surprise hearts with us. It's just lovely to think of God and your sweet husband sending those to you, to lift your heart and make you remember you are cherished! The nibbles look delicious, and I'm glad you get to share them with others.

Kit said...

Hello my friend!! What a lovely post! Your goodies look great. I am the only one in this family who loves fruitcake...lol Enjoy your lunch and stay safe. Merry Christmas! Love, KK

Hootin Anni said...

I'll take the brown sugar crecent cookies! Thanks for the treat. Ya, you & I have had nearly the same temps. Today it's 68° at 4 in the morning. You and I both look for hearts to photograph. You shared some terrific ones!!

Morning's Minion said...

I have always liked a good homemade fruitcake, but as I'm the only one in the family who appreciates them its been many years since one has come out of the oven. Your recipe sounds lighter than most--and chocolate chips enhance anything!