Monday, October 26, 2020

Lunch with friends, a memory bear, more blooms

Hello Friends ~ Here it is another Saturday morning. The sun is shining today. We need the sunshine to dry up soggy ground and to lift moods. ;-)

I want to thank all of you for your kind, encouraging comments. It helps to let out how one is truly feeling instead of holding it all in. I'm a positive, happy person but sometimes I get the blues.

Two days later, it's now Monday afternoon. Rain was predicted for today but so far the sun is shining and I was able to get a load of laundry washed, hung out to dry and brought back in.

Saturday night we had some heavy, steady rain for awhile. The road out front became flooded which it hasn't done in a very long time. Yesterday when I got up the driveway had standing water, and it was still there this morning. So, I raked fallen leaves, out of the driveway runners, and lowered some higher sandy areas so that the water could drain out to the street. The heat wasn't too bad, but the humidity was horrible and when I was done, I felt sick, and was soaked from 'glowing'. I came in, fixed myself half a portion of electrolyte drink and relaxed. 

Looking north

Looking south


 I really am looking forward to getting out to work in my gardens. Knowing that cooler weather is coming is some motivation. Gardening is great exercise, plus toxins are sweated out, and one is surrounded by God's beautiful, wonderful creation.

Here are morning glory blooms not quite opened up yet. 

This is pinky Muhly grass.  I thought it had died out, so was super surprised and pleased to see it in bloom yesterday.

 



Below is the rose 'Bermuda's Kathleen'.


 This rose is 'Carnation'.



This is a carpet rose.



Friday I had lunch at Chili's with two friends who are also widows. Rita,  in stripes, is our GriefShare group leader, that's how I met her, and Pat, in the red, I met when I started attending the church where GriefShare met. Pat is a seamstress. (In the picture, I have my mask hanging from my ear, as we were about to leave.) You can see Rita's memory bear in the background, made from her late husband's clothing.


Pat made both Rita and I, a memory bear.

 

Looking at this photo, I can see that I have 'aged' in the last 8 months.



Here are pics of my bear at home. The shirt for body was a 'real' Hawaiian shirt, and was one of my husband's shirts that I still had. The pink for ears and paws was a shirt he wore for our private little 're-wedding' ceremony here at home, (2003). He wore a vest for our little ceremony so Pat made one for the bear. She put the label from shirt on the bear's bottom.

She had asked for something to print to go with bear and right away I thought of 1 Peter 5:7. He had called that verse out to me when I came home from work one day (he was bedridden), less than a month before God took him home. It still blesses my heart that he did that. God knew I would need those words for encouragement down the road,  so they were from Mark's lips to my ears. I am thankful.







God has indeed cared for me and I am so thankful for His love and tender care. Faith has grown, lessons are being learned, blessings have come my way.

***

Now for some more blooms from my tropical, cottage garden.

At the moment, I can't remember what the name of this plant is.

These are flowers from the garlic vine.

 



This is a Lancepod or Lilac tree, origin Africa, that I grew from seed. This is the best it has ever bloomed and I think it is because of all of the rain we've had in the past couple of months.

These have a delightful delicate scent.

 




This is thungergia erecta, or King's mantle, or Bush clock vine.

 
This is a lovely begonia.

This is Philippine Violet


'Mexican Petunia'



 That's it for now. My stomach is starting to let me know it's time for some supper.


Thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. They are a real boost to me, heart and soul. The boost I need to carry on, one day at a time.

Have a great week, wear your masks, be thankful, tell someone you love them.

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

18 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

I agree that sometimes we need to let others know how we really feel, instead of holding everything in. I tend to not open up as. much as I should and because of that may rob others of the blessing of being an encourager. Your flowers, as always are beautiful.

Vee said...

Your blog has not been coming to my inbox. Must get that sorted.

What a darling, dapper bear with that wonderful verse. Such a treasured gift from your friend.

How good it is to get out with friends and to be able to encourage one another in the faith and in life.

The flowers are gorgeous. I hope that your weather becomes cooler so you can truly enjoy being out in the garden.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello. Thanks for this post and sharing those beautiful blossoms as well as that sweet memory bear with us. That scripture your husband loved is also a favorite of mine. So nice you could get together with friends for lunch. It is always good to have the love and support of friends. Have a good week and I will see you again soon.

Nancy J said...

Mauve petunia, glorious, Your red flower , is that a salvia? Bears, they are always a welcome part of any family, and never too old to have one. Love yours with the verse.

ellen b. said...

So nice to be able to go out with friends. Those bears are great!

Ann said...

Glad you were able to get out with friends for lunch. That bear is wonderful. Wade's daughter made them from several of his flannel shirts for all of his kids.

Lynn and Precious said...

How marvelous! An outing for a meal with wonderful friends. And the
bears are just too cute. Your friend is indeed a seamstress. The verse
from Peter is something for all of us to heed now especially. I do like
the look of the pink grass plumes waving about. Too bad so much rain at
one time, though. The flowers look like they just drank it up and kept
blooming. Yep, wear the mask at all times away from home. Just stay safe
there, Lorraine, and think on the great moments in life.

Dewena said...

It's so nice to see you three friends enjoying lunch out together, Lorraine. That does my heart good to know that you had this time. And what a labor of love the memory bears are. Yours is precious!

I hope the water doesn't cause bad problems. That was a lot of work. I love your pink grass so much! We keep adding grasses here each year so I'm putting that one on my wish list.

Best to you, sweet Lorraine,
Dewena

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Isn't it fun to play out in the water and make it run different ways? :-)
Love the pinky Muhly grass. Reminds me of mimosa blooms a bit.
Those bears are wonderful. Take care!!!

Cheryl said...

What a lovely gift . . . full of thoughtfulness, encouragement, meaning, and yes, memories! Your memory bear is a treasure!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What sweet friends you have! The bear is just precious, I love that it is made out of precious memories from your husband's clothing! So wonderful to have such a great support group! Your flowers are so amazing! I am amazed at the beautiful collection of different flowers you have. Such beauty feeds your soul! Many blessings to you sweet friend :)

M.K. said...

Such a sweet, sweet post!! I love the pic of you with your friends, so glad you are getting some good friend time. And those bears!!! I love that idea. I hope that is a real comfort to you. So kind of her to make those! I love the way your drive way looks, so fallish with those wet leaves. I love that look :) Take it easy with all that humid work outside!

gretchenjoanna said...

Oh, my -- the pink begonia!
And the dear friends...

XOXO

Anne Payne said...

The bear is adorable. Such a treasure to have something like this in remembrance of your beloved husband. I'm working on a memory book of our Amy but a bear would be sweet too. :-) We've had a lot of rain here too. In fact, it's raining right now. I'll be glad for a sunny day. I think all of us have aged the last eight months. It's been getting rather depressing the longer all this goes on. Hope you continue to feel better. {{hugs}}

Rebecca said...

What a precious gift, so full of meaning...

Terra said...

Your bear is so handsome and one to keep and love forever. I had not heard of a memory bear, but they are a great idea and your friend is a talented and generous seamstress. Nice you 3 met for lunch.

Melanie said...

I'm so glad you were able to get out and have lunch with your friends. Those memory bears are amazing. What a generous, kind, compassionate woman to make those for you and your friend.

Kit said...

Hello my friend! What a great idea and your bear is lovely. It is a great idea. I hope you are doing well with all that is going on in the world. We are hanging in here. Take care. Love, KK