Saturday, June 27, 2020

One day at a time

Hello Folks ~ I hope you are having a lovely weekend wherever you are. It is another hot and humid day. Night before last, was a rough one for me, after a really down day. I just couldn't fall asleep like normal. All kinds of things running through my mind. Last night I slept really good, lights out around 9:30 and I woke up and got up close to 5 this morning. I thanked God for a good sleep and the new day.

One thing that had been on my mind was one of the frangipani trees in the main garden. It had a couple of limbs getting too close to the power line that runs from pole out front by the road, to the workshop, and that's over my main garden. I worried that it was too close for me to take care of, but it was about a foot or so away.

I went out after coffee, but before breakfast. Got out the tree saw, and the pole cutter and went to work. Then I did some fern and weed pulling and trimming in the overgrown main garden. I was drenched in sweat and called it quits for the day. At least those limbs are gone and they are now hardening off for about a week, before I pot them up to root. The ones I have growing are all from cuttings from a friend, which I have rooted cuttings from to give me a couple more.

Click on photos for a larger view.

Below is the before picture. The limb to the left side was not the culprit, but the ones in the back of pic, with the ever creeping Virginia creeper vine, reaching for the power line.

Here is after and now that is one worrying thing off my mind. These limbs were about 10' high.


There is so much more work to do in this garden. Paths are overgrown with ferns and vines, weeds abound also. We've had a lot of rain and that makes things grow even faster.

The other morning when I was feeling so blue, I was out by my clothesline and happened to look up and saw to my delight that the Cereus cactus was in bloom. This cactus has grown up a dead pine tree and I don't always look 'up'.

I drew an arrow onto the dead pine in pic below. The tree is about 8' from the fence/property line.

These blooms are supposed to be scented, but if so I can't tell. Even when we took pics of one years ago where we could smell it, I didn't detect any scent, which was disappointing. Still the flowers are wonderful and huge.









Below is a link to a you-tube video from 2012. My dear husband was not well, but woke me up in the middle of the night a couple of times, so we could go out and take more pics as this bloom opened up. He held a light and I am thankful for this lovely time we had together. God called him home 4 months later.


In my down moments, God showed His love for me through His creation, by causing me to look 'up' and seeing these glorious blooms to enjoy. He knew they would make my heart feel glad and lighter. He was right. These blooms are only open for a day.

In a devotional by Marcia Gaddis, which came in my email yesterday morning from 'Wisdom Hunters', I read the following that encouraged my heart. The devotional is titled 'Living in the Present Moment', you can click on the title and it will take you to the website.

We are having to wait through this pandemic, life as we knew it is no more, and will never be the same.

~ Betty Skinner, in her book The Hidden Life, says this about waiting:

"Waiting is one of the most difficult pieces of a deep, inner spiritual journey. We want to outrun God, but our growth depends on consciously letting go of our fear and allowing our circumstances the space to teach us what God intends....As long as we wait in fear and anxiety, we will not experience growth."

She goes on to say, "This way of waiting requires we understand that the spiritual life can only be lived in the present moment. Living in the future produces anxiety, worry, and fear. Living in the past produces guilt, bitterness and regret. Many of us never get out of the past or the future and miss the gift that is the present moment." (My bold and italics.)

Oh my, how I want to live in the present. Always knowing and trusting God for working all things out. He is in control and my fretting and worrying over things, past, present or future does NOT do any good.

My gardens are a gift to me and are a comfort and joy during this time. Long, long ago, this property had no gardens. I told my dear husband I would rather have growing flowers than a bouquet of dying ones and that's how this all came to be. He bought, we bought, I bought, plants and more plants. :-)

I selectively take photos, so you do NOT see all of the overgrowth, and what I call ugliness of my gardens. Your kind words about what you see, encourage me to keep working in them. The exercise is great and free, I sweat out toxins and enjoy being out among the scents, colors, butterflies, bees and birds, plus the occasional neighborhood cats.

Yesterday I was able to capture this redbird. I was at the scullery sink and there were two frolicking in the water, but only one was there after I ran for my camera.


Ok, that's it for now. I need to go out and do some hand watering of things in pots.

Find the peace and beauty in each day you are blessed with. If you happen to have people around you, be thankful, give them lots of hugs, tell them you love them. Be forgiving and encouraging. These are rough times all over this planet, and we need to be kind to each other. Being kind matters.

Love, hugs and prayers,
FlowerLady

30 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rainey. I love this post. Those blooms are beautiful. I know your dear husband prompted you to look up and see the beauty in the world and be flooded with sweet memories of time with him. I am glad you were able to the limbs near the electrical wires trimmed. Working in the garden is great for body, mind and spirit. I hope you continue to sleep well. You masks are on the way. Look for them on Wednesday of next week!

Ruth Hiebert said...

You live in the midst of so much beauty. I do realize that the same conditions which cause the flowers to grow abundantly , also cause the weeds and other unwanted plants to thrive.Blessings for the days ahead, my friend.

Terra said...

Your cactus blooms in the tree are spectacular and I am glad you looked up. That is where we can remember to look, for there is where our help comes from (look up to the hills, from whence comes our help.) You did so good in trimming the branches away from the power/phone lines. My son planted a Crush on You red rose and a purple hibiscus for me recently, it is so upbeat to plant something.

Ann Thompson said...

Everything in your garden always looks so pretty. I can relate to feeling down. I get overwhelmed by all the things that need to be done around here. Some I can't do myself but don't have anyonentjat will do it

Nancy J said...

24 hours, what a thrill to see this bloom from opening to the end, a tribute to your darling man and you for sharing with us. trees trimmed, a bird showing its feathers, we can take huge pleasures in the delights that nature brings every day. Life continues down here, both of us at a snail's pace, but each day Hugh is improving, and I am fine, although slow.

Sandra said...

Rainey, wait is a verb.
love and prayers, S.

Melanie said...

Having property to take care of is a lot of work, especially by yourself. Our weather is hot and humid right now, too and I was outside for awhile first thing this morning, cleaning all the fallen, mushy mulberries off the patio, moving the patio furniture into the back yard, cleaning off all the plant pots from the storms we've had, etc. I was drenched in sweat and had to come in and take a cool bath and now I feel better. I am so thankful to have my hubby still with me, but he's at work today.

I guess we could look at it this way...if we moved to a place such as a condo, where we didn't have outside work to take care of, then what would we do all day? And what beauty would there be to look at? Plus, I think that kind of outside work keeps us young. ;-) And it's good exercise!

Hugs,
Melanie

Mother Em said...

Wish I knew how to get my cactus to bloom. Some are almost too tall, heavy to carry in to winter over, but none have ever bloomed. Not knowing what the name of it is, it pretty much looks like yours. Have a wonderful Sunday, Flower Lady...

Anne Payne said...

That is so cool how the cactus is growing up the tree. Gardening is hard work but you are doing a great job. Your place is beautiful!

Vee said...

The cactus flower is huge! What a thrill for you to see them once again. Glad that you were able to cut back what was heading for the electric wires. I will never know what that is like. 😁 I was able to mow the lawn today and felt better for it. Later, I might do some weeding. For now, I am happily reading blogs in air conditioned splendor.

Lynn and Precious said...

Your Cereus is just incredible! My mother had one in a flower pot for
years in southern Indiana. She took very good care of it and kept it indoors
in the winter, but it only bloomed one time in about 8 years! She would have
loved seeing your giant one up a tree. Gardening is simply wonder but
dirty hard work. Good for the mind and the soul. Trust God to be with you
on each day in your wonderful garden. We just have to pray for some good
to come out of this covid and that there is an end soon. So hard on every
one trying to stay healthy and safe from it. I do pray your spirits stay
lifted as you see your wonderful wildlife.

Dewena said...

What a beautiful way of sharing about looking up! Your old Youtube video was magical and I know must be precious to you. You have such a way of writing about these important moments in your life that tugs at my heart. You have an observant eye and a tender heart and God bless you for it.

Junkchiccottage said...

Beautiful post Lorraine. That cactus blooming is gorgeous. You have such wonderful beauty around you. Love the little bird in the fountain too. Wishing you better days as the new week begins.
xoxo
Kris

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh your cactus is so beautiful and such a wonderful way to remember your beloved husband. I am going to go visit the link you shared. Yes living in the present is a challenge. It seems like we humans either want to know the future or return to the past. Yet we know that today...this moment is all we have. Hope you have a blessed week. Hugs!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, I certainly know what you feel when looking at all of the weeds and extra growth in the yard/gardens.... We have the same problem --and it's getting BIGGER and BIGGER... I get frustrated (since it's too much for us) --but then I look at a gorgeous bloom (or blooms) --and it brings a smile to my face....

Love that Cactus. The blooms are marvelous. I can imagine why that plant is so special to you... Blessings to you.

I had fun with my Blog Post today... There's a battle going on between my Canon and my iPhone.... I love to get people's thoughts/reactions...

Hugs,
Betsy

M.K. said...

Many thanks for those 2 wonderful quotes you shared. I agree about the excellence of learning to wait, to wait on God. It's hard, a skill learned over a life time. Waiting is most certainly a spiritual journey.
That cactus plant! It looks like the creature from the black lagoon! Truly amazing.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Your garden and yard keep you busy, Lorraine. My garden keeps me busy each day with something that needs done. That cactus is huge and so stunning! It pays to look up!! I love your thoughts on enjoying the present, to forget the last, and not worry about the future. Bless you. ❤️

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Wow, you must keep busy with all the pruning and trimming. Glad you got the branches so close to the powerlines. That would be a little worrying, I agree. But such a lovely garden.

Thank you for all the splendid shots of that gorgeous Cereus cactus flower. Oh my, that is a real stunner. Like you, I'm so glad for the garden this summer, it gives so much joy 'in the midst'.

Wishing you glimpses of heaven in unexpected places,
Brenda xo

ellen b. said...

Those are such interesting blooms. How fun to see them when you looked up.

Deborah Montgomery said...

What a beautiful video you and your husband put together. I love that you got up several times in the middle of the night to take pictures. I'm sure that is a precious memory. And how kind of the Lord to have all those blooms waiting for you to enjoy as you looked up. We all need to "look up" more, especially during these trying times. xo Deborah

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Lorraine, this was a beautiful post all around. I want you to know how much I appreciate it and it was much needed, as I'm dealing right now with not so nice neighbors. Your words are peace and tranquility to my ears, and your garden is a place of peace for you, as well as your readers.

Take care, my dear Lorraine.

~Sheri

di said...

What a beautiful video...may I know the name of the song that is playing? I have only commented once before on your blog but read it all the time...wishing you calm and peace through this very difficult time...your garden is a precious oasis...thank you for the beauty you share with the world...diana

Leslie Kimel said...

Your cereus cactus video and photos are pure magic. What a strange, beautiful plant! I don't know what I would do without my own garden at this time--and seeing pictures of your beautiful garden makes me feel better too. Thank you so much for sharing them!

Hootin Anni said...

Hi again! Sorry I don't have much time today to read your entire post, but will come back when I can. I did skim your images...I think I have a cactus like yours in the tree. But mine is just a cut slip I stuck in a pot. I should get it in the ground...but the flower looks the same as yours. I DID read the snippet of you and your husband out in the dark taking pictures...sweet memory!

Now to answer your question about the oil painting site I used for my flower images...
https://funny.pho.to/antique-oil-painting/

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

What a sweet post filled with such wisdom and kindness. The cactus is amazing and what a dear memory you have of sharing that moment together. The garden keeps you busy and gives you endless beauty, despite the weeds. Most of my gardens are weeds that I call wildflowers :) I hope you can get back to some good night's sleep. I think we are all having sleepless nights and worries. All we can do is have faith and hope, and focus on the simple joys of life each day. Sending hugs xo Karen

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I can only imagine how difficult it is for you to get to everything that needs done in your gardens.. but thankful that you were able to get the limbs next to the wire taken care of. I would not like the humidity you have to deal with, at all. I love our cool crisp air here. But how beautiful your blooms are, and what a special treat from the Lord to allow you to see their beautiful blooms, only for one day! Imagine that! Stunning to see! I enjoyed all your lovely pictures, and just look at the blooms and enjoy them.. the weeds will always be there! Many blessings :)

Homemaker's Heart said...

Hello there! I am so impressed you used a tree trimmer. That is quite an accomplishment. The blooms from that cactus were very intriguing. I've never seen a cactus grow up like that. You are blessed with all your blooms :-) Thank you for sharing. I hope you are doing well. And thank you for the encouraging uplift. In your struggles I see triumph. Your trust in the Lord. He always comes through when we lean on Him. God's peace be with you, Dee

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Lorraine, what a beautiful plant and I love your story with it. I would feel right at home in your garden as it seems the beautiful plants are all raising their heads to the heavens and if I dont look up I don't get to see them. That was what happened to our wisteria this spring and now, star jasmine is climbing up the branches of the wisteria and blooming up high. I, too, block out all the jumble of things going on in my garden..Stay well..xxoJudy

pilar said...

Hello Lorraine! It's evening here and I was just starting to worry about this tablet beginning to fail me and worrying about having to replace it-- And then I read this post and it's a lovely reminder. I'm humbled and I'm glad for your blog, as always. I need to make time for these virtual visits. Hang in there! Glad to know you're keeping safe! Many blessings to you, Lorraine
: )

jerilanders said...

I've been wondering about you, very glad to know you are well, and in your garden. This is good wisdom on anxiety and fear, we need to heed it now more than ever.