Monday, June 15, 2020

Tucked away...

Good Monday morning Friends ~ I hope you had a good weekend and that this week will be a good one for you, wherever you are and whatever you do.

It's hard to believe we've been in this 'shelter in place' isolation for 3 months now. Places have opened somewhat down here, but there has been a rise in the number of cases of covid-19. I've only been off the property twice, the third venturing forth I plan to do, is this week as I need more groceries.

I seem to be more tired than usual, get up and go, has got up and went. I procrastinate more, there are times of being down, yet also there are times of joy and peace.  Those two things are what I want to cultivate more and more here at Plum Cottage.  I've been doing a LOT of reading and a LOT of you-tube watching. I mowed again once the rain stopped. We had rain off and on for about 5 days straight and things have grown like crazy from all of that 'liquid sunshine', straight from God to planet earth.

One of my all-time favorite gardens came up on you-tube this past week. The garden tour is very recent, it is a beautiful creation by a lady in Japan.  Le Jardin Secret 2020 of Ms.Mariko Gonda. This is the kind of garden I want in my eternal home with God. For now, I'll keep working on my tropical, cottage, not perfect garden here at Plum Cottage.
 

There have been some wonderful gardens from Britain also for the National Garden Scheme, which opens gardens up to visitors for charity, proceeds going to the nurses and nursing homes there in that country. Since gardens can't be opened to the public at this time the gardeners have taken short videos of their gardens for us all to enjoy at this time. Below is one of my favorites.

Fernbank Garden


Yesterday I watched a vlog by a young man whose vlogs I've been enjoying. He has a way of telling stories that is wonderful. A line near the end of it really touched my heart as it relates to myself here at Plum Cottage, and is why the title of this blog today.

He was at a friend's property that was just off the road with 18 wheelers rumbling by and he described it as "tucked away, and the rest of the world is right there." That's how it is here. When people come to visit they are amazed that this little place is here off the busy 5 lane road out front. It isn't perfect by any means, but it is home sweet home. It is what it is, created by my DH and myself since 1973. I feel his love all around this place from the many projects we did together, and even from ones not completed. Life goes on, and faith in Jesus keeps me going through each day of life.


 Now, here are some pics from this little 'tucked away' place called Plum Cottage.

Vanda Orchids, Miss Joachim, that literally take care of themselves. A favorite of mine.



A view looking south out to the 5 lane road. The flowers from the hibiscus trees that are growing over my driveway from the neighbors are floral confetti.



 This photo taken last month and I'm almost to the rear of the property.


Here is my lovely Queen Crepe myrtle. We bought it in August 2007.



Here it is 13 years later.







Queen Crepe confett




This is Tropical Lilac.



Thryallis ~ has a wonderful sweet scent that fills the air.


This is Tahitian Gardenia, huge blooms and a wonderful gardenia scent




Reed orchids



Philippine Violet



More 'Miss Joachim' Vanda orchids




This is a weedy ground cover, don't know what the name of it is



A lovely double pink hibiscus with maroon center.



I think this is 'Miss Atwood', but am not sure anymore.





Plumbago



Spiderwort



Tecoma Stans



Yesterday after 'zooming' with family, I went back to the 'scullery' and looking out the window over the sink, this is what I saw. I believe there were 10 there at first but when I went to get the camera some had flown away. They were coming and going, and some were a family as parents kept feeding fledglings. They were happy and made me smile.



Here's Miss Tork, my sweet companion.




After watching so many garden videos, some absolutely filled with roses and as a booster to my morale, I ordered 4 roses from Rose Petal's Nursery in northern FL.


Hopefully they will be here some time this week or early next week. Not sure when they ship out orders.

Here are the 4 I chose. These photos are from the website. All are scented, a couple have strong fragrance.

'Mademoiselle Blanche Lafitte'


La Reine


Crepuscule


Beaute Inconstante



I re-read the book 'The Shack' and in it Jesus was introducing Himself to Mack, main character of book. As he stood there in jeans covered in sawdust and a plaid shirt, He said he keeps things fixed up, enjoys working with His hands, and takes pleasure in cooking and gardening. Hmmm. Jesus lives inside of me and I am to do all things heartily and as unto Him. Forgive me dear Jesus for procrastinating so much in all areas of my life. Give me joy, peace, comfort and strength. Thank you, Amen.


This procrastination bit of work is awaiting me, I am the 'dishwasher' and sometimes they 'pile' up, so I'll say goodbye for now.

Have a good week ~ FlowerLady



17 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Oh the roses you ordered are sublime. Absolutely perfect. I guess you could call your home/yard the "secret garden". So pretty, so tranquil. Also...love that kitty companion!!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Love your little cottage tucked down the flower-strewn lane, Lorraine. It looks so cool and inviting and so tropical with all the orchids and other amazing flowers. I can almost see the fairies fluttering around! Your rose picks are so pretty. It's so nice to treat oneself once in a while to a few beautiful flowers. This pandemic makes life so uncertain....I think we may have to be cautious for a long time yet, and I love the idea of the virtual garden tours while we wait. So inspiring... dirty dishes just seem to multiply by themselves, don't they? So nice to have a window to look out on the garden while you wash. Miss Tork knows how to settle in during lockdown :) Sending hugs xo Karen

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

More roses! Haha, we just can't stop, can we?
Love your garden, Lorraine, where almost all the plants are exotics for me.
Garden confetti - I love this! As always, I enjoyed your pictures and commentary. Thank you for the links!
I hope we all will have a nice week!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello Lorraine - as always, I love the pictures of your flowers and your homey cottage. Glad you have a kitty friend with you. Have a good week.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I am sure those new roses will grow rapidly in your gardens.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

I think the little piece of paradise you and DH created is just in fact perfect Lorraine. đŸ’–

Betty said...

Your flowers are so pretty and I enjoy the videos. I have been so tired of the shut down too, but I know it was needed and still is to a degree in some states. They just open up everything here last week.

GretchenJoanna said...

I was pleased to come here and find that you, too, have just ordered more flowers!! I went to a nursery on Saturday hoping to get some vegetable starts. It was their first day open after many months of being closed. It's always "dangerous" going to nurseries.... they had all the salvias and echinaceas my heart could want, for my drought-tolerant pollinator garden. And some Swiss chard. Hahahaha!

Your pictures and stories and links to other gardens all convey the GARDEN JOY that we feel. Where would we be without our gardens? Well, we know we would still have the joy of the Lord, but isn't He so kind to let us live close to our flowers. Thank you for sharing.

Ann said...

Your flowers are so beautiful. I love your tucked away home. My house is wide open and people will often comment that they saw me out in my back yard when they drove by. It would be nice to be able to go out there and not have everyone see me.

Vee said...

The Japanese Garden is very lovely. The home looks like New England. I had no idea that such homes existed in Japan. Is that the location or is it that the garden was created by a woman who is Japanese? I think, other than the home, you have a quite similar garden. "Tucked Away" would make a sweet name for a cottage, but yours already has a name. Wouldn't it be odd (and pretty inhuman) to be blithely going about our days as if nothing is going on around us? It does not surprise me that I am feeling down sometimes. We know it will all come right in the end. Happy tucked away times...

Lynn and Precious said...

Oh, Lorraine, your sanctuary garden is incredible. The color is so beautiful
and I can just try to imagine the fragrance. The work must be long and some
times difficult, but when you share these images, I just can't stop looking!
The garden videos help me, as I have few flowers due to the deer, so I must
be content with pictures. And Miss Tork looks comfy in the basket. Are the
outside kitties all OK?

Cheryl said...

Such a joy to come and visit with you today, Lorraine! I SO enjoyed the beautiful garden video and also seeing around your lovely place, too. God has created so many amazing things and colors for us to enjoy on this earth. Just imagine how beautiful Heaven must be!

ellen b. said...

I'm glad you have this lovely little cottage that is tucked away where you can nurture beautiful plants and live with contentment.

Ellen D. said...

Your tropical hide-away is so pretty and you have filled it with color and nature that you take much joy in. Sounds perfect to me! Thanks for sharing with us!

Homemaker's Heart said...

Oh, I'm so glad you shared. I can almost smell the flowers! It makes me want to get a cup of tea, pull up a chair and just breath in the beauty. You have the coziest kitchen nook. I miss my little nook in Ohio. (Now it's all spread out and I get to make more of a mess :-) ) Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Dee

Morning's Minion said...

As always, scrolling through your flower and garden photos is a peaceful thing. Miss Tork adds to the joy!

M.K. said...

That was very refreshing, FL - thank you! I loved the Fernbank garden tour. That was a delight. Makes me want to be a better gardener ... but not in the heat of summer, oh no! Miss Tork is adorable. we also are right on a busy county road, but our house is a refuge. I hope you are well. We have our good and bad days and don't feel guilty if we take it slow when needed. Love, MK