Thursday, June 18, 2020

This and that

Good morning Folka ~ want to get this post out early so that I can head outside to mow 'again'. During the summer it's a weekly job that has to be done early.

Yesterday I braved my fear, prayed and thanked God as I headed off the property for a grocery shopping adventure.  The fear was because our area is a covid-19 hotspot. But when fear comes on, I have to remind myself that 'greater' is He, God, that is in me, than he that is in the world.

I thought of going to Aldi, furthest store away, because of their prices, then fear said no just go to Publix, it's closer. Fear did NOT win, I headed off to Aldi on a non-busy tree lined road with flowers strewn here and there, and thanked God for the enjoyable ride and before I knew it I was at my destination.  The store was not crowded, there was no fear, just people doing their shopping. I loaded my cart as I don't want to have to go out again any time soon, so I bought more than I usually would. Then on the way back home I stopped at the other grocery store and bought a few things there.

I've seen others post their grocery hauls, so thought I'd do that at this time, for the fun of it. So here goes.

Fresh fruit and veggies




Got 2 lbs of uncured beef hot dogs, no nitrates, and 2 lbs of grass fed beef, no nitrate oven roasted turkey lunch meat, and fresh tilapia filets.


Dairy and eggs, 2 pkgs swiss cheese, 2 cheddar cheese, the ice cream was buy one get one free. I got vanilla so that it will go with anything. Oh yea, I forgot I got 1/2 gallon of oat milk also.


They had toilet paper and kleenex, only allowed on pkg of TP, so I got one to add to my stash.



Mineral water, olive oil, chardonnay and merlot wine, yeast for baking bread and pizza dough, corned beef hash, coconut oil, minced garlic, tuna, orange marmalade, apricot preserves, prune juice. As a funny aside, I met a lady in one isle, she was a tall, big woman, not wearing a mask, (I was), she was a tad intimidating, but we looked each other in the eye and I decided to say Hi and after a moments hesitation she said Hi back. We met again on another isle and when I saw what she was getting, I told her that's what I need too. She said this is for my husband. I said Well, my husband is in heaven and he doesn't need this now, but I do. We laughed and she said no he doesn't. Then we went our separate ways. You can guess which item I was talking about and I bought 2. ;-)


Day before I was able to get a load of laundry washed and hung out to dry. Took a couple of pics and if we had smellavision, you would be able to smell the wonderful scent of air-solar-dried laundry.  So wonderful!!! I had taken most of the things off lines when I thought to take a pic or two.

These sheets are 'noisy', they are cotton, but make crackly, crisp noises when you are on/under them.





Another shot of the Queen Crepe myrtle from a different angle.



Queen Crepe flower on left and a normal crepe on the right.


Last is a photo of my watering can, bought years ago for a couple of dollars. I was inside looking out and liked the way the sun was shining on it.


That is it for now. I need to head outside to mow.

Have a good day,
be kind,
be forgiving,
encourage others,
pray,
be thankful.

Love, hugs and prayers,
FlowerLady

23 comments:

Lynn and Precious said...

Stocking up a bit of grocery items is the best way now days. I went
this morn and what I could not find 2 weeks ago, I did today, but then
other things I wanted were no available. Funny to have to shop this way
when we are so used to just strolling in and getting everything!
Glad you made yourself go out, and then to speak to an unmasked stranger.
maybe you made her day. Sorry to see people go without the mask.
The sunshine on the water can is brilliant.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Nice grocery stash. I used to love shopping at Aldi when we lived in the Mid-west. We don't have Aldi out here and I do miss it. Glad you are wearing a mask and staying safe. If you need another mask, let me know. Just email me and I will send you one. I am still making them and donating/giving them away. Have a good day.

Ann Thompson said...

I haven't been to an Aldis store in a really long time. I used to shop there all the time when my kids were growing up

ellen b. said...

What a nice haul from the grocers! I'm glad you put your fear aside and managed to shop in two stores. We don't have Aldis here. We have to mow at least once a week if not two on some weeks. OYE! Between the rain and sunshine things grow fast!!

Junkchiccottage said...

Glad you could stock up on groceries. LOL I think we all need a little wine these days. Nothing like fresh crisp sheets on your bed. Ahhhh.
Happy Friday and have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs,
Kris

Vee said...

Golly, I hope that we get back to the days of speaking to strangers again as you did. Life is better that way. I always enjoy seeing clothes drying upon the line. Bet your sheets smelled amazing!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I can understand the apprehension of going out when this virus is still rampant. We have only had a few new cases in the last month or so. Restrictions are being lifted, although we are still sanitizing our hands and some are using masks. i am feeling fairly comfortable with going shopping now. May you be well and safe.

Homemaker's Heart said...

Oh how I miss Aldi's. I saved so much money shopping there, but they aren't past Texas from my understanding. It's a joy to see your shopping "spree".

You are so cute! Smellavision!. I can almost smell those fresh sheets drying.

Thanks for sharing. We are out of Tissue everywhere. I found a box of "real" Kleenex in our camp stuff. We giggle because we are saving it for special times and say "ooooh, ahhh". The couple boxes left here at home are Walmart brand - scratchy.

I'd like to ask how you get your name on your photos, I've been trying to learn that for months.

Wishing you Peace,
Dee

Melanie said...

Lovely post! I'm glad you didn't let fear win and that you went out and got your groceries. Just be safe about wearing a mask and wash your hands. Are masks not mandatory there? (With that woman in Aldi not wearing one.) They are here in IL, though I have seen a few people in the grocery stores not wearing one - and obviously store management doesn't do anything about it, which is maddening. You got a lot of food; that should last you awhile. Have a wonderful weekend!

Robbin said...

Nice blog thanks for sharing your experience.

Deb said...

Love that you braved the day and went to Aldi and other stores too. I try to stock up to avoid going out too often. I love the shot of your watering can, I have a favorite watering can I bought 20 years ago and it has served me well its an older Rubbermaid that is no longer available and it sprinkles like a dream.

Hootin Anni said...

You did good! We have done this often for hurricane preparedness. I really probably should say this TMI...but large trash bags in case sweet doesn't work.

Wish I could air dry our sheets (subdivision frowns on it)...such a fresh fragrance.

Hootin Anni said...

Sorry...TMI is online jargon (Too Much Information)...meaning we'll use trash bags if sewer doesn't work during hurricane. And "sweet"in previous comment was changed with my auto correct. Should read sewer not sweet. Hope that helps...again sorry.

BeachGypsy said...

Hi there Lorraine, I dont know about the virginia creeper but we do LOVE AND GROW sweet "tater" vines here, ha ha ha LOL! I also heard mint is very very overpowering and not to put in in the ground in our gardens so I've avoided it. I love this post, isn't it weird how we like seeing other people's groceries??? ha ha ha LOL, so funny but it's INTERESTING to me, how bout you? LOL The best picture was the laundry on the line though....how i love love love to see and to hang out clean wash. I did hang out a few items yesterday. Nothing better than sheets and pillow cases dried in the sunshine!!!

Dewena said...

Lorraine, I love posts with grocery hauls in them! So glad you went to the trouble to get pictures of yours. I tried the Tillamook ice cream once and it was so good and creamy. I busy their cheese when it's on sale too. I'm glad you spoke to the woman in the store. We need contact with strangers, I think. Only about half of people in grocery stores wear masks here now. I do but my husband doesn't. But almost everyone is still very friendly in the stores and smile and say hi. My husband says the first few weeks were different, with people acting afraid and in a hurry. I'm glad that didn't last as normally we expect people to be friendly here in the Nashville area.

I really like the pretty border you have on your pictures! I had forgotten that I used to take time for things like that. It does make a difference!

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

Having good food to eat is such a blessing and your grocery haul looks wonderful! I did 4 loads of laundry today, hung them all on the line. If it's raining, I'll hold laundry until it stops raining just so I can line dry them.
I read what Hootin Ani said and I've been known to use trash bags, kitty litter and a hospital bedside potty chair. It's a great way to have facilities available when camping as I will NOT go to a bath house during the night. I won't even go with another camper.
The craziness in Virginia continues; our "Coonman" governor...now, don't get upset with me because that was his nickname in his VA Military Institute yearbook and was under his photo of him in blackface!...is insane. I'm ready for the insanity to be over but rumor has it he has a lot worse in store for us.
Anyway, we've had RAIN...torrential RAIN...but today has been sunny and I was able to do a little bit of outside work. Hurrah!
Be safe Rainey; cast your cares on God for He cares for you.

Nancy J said...

I, along with daughter, did a HUGe shop today, as I am not sure when Hugh will be driving again, and I will not for a very long time. So good to be able to get plenty of everything we needed, pasta was limited, ample TP, soap, dishwash, shampoo, meat, and bread. I hope we do not go back to a level 4 lockdown. I am so glad you ventured out there, being brave is not always easy. XXXX

Terra said...

That is a great stash of groceries and you won't need to shop again for quite a while. I had groceries delivered to my door this morning and I see we each got two Tillamook ice creams. I know what product you are referring to, and always keep some on hand. Be well my Flower friend.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Lorraine, you certainly made a huge haul and being smart so you don't have to go for awhile again. I haven't been shopping for what seems like forever but occasionally hubby goes. The best time seems to be early in the morning to beat the crowds not wearing masks. Stupidity reigns supreme! I have never heard of the Queen crepe myrtle. I have a very old tree but it is the regular one about the same color as yours only a little lighter. Our covid cases are climbing here too. Good time to just stay home..Stay well..xxoJudy

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Lorraine it looks like you got lots of goodies at Aldis. I haven't ventured out of our small rural area since we locked down. Like you I feel safer closer to home. In our small rural area we have had forty-two cases thus far. Very grateful to the Lord for His protection. Nothing like fresh laundry air dried in fresh sunshine. Thanks for stopping by to visit me. Hugs!

Anne Payne said...

You took in quite a good haul from the store! I had to resort to ordering yeast online as none of our stores are able to keep it on the shelves and I always seem to miss it. I was disappointed yesterday when I couldn't find King Arthur Bread flour, or ANY bread flour at walmart. I was glad I was swearing a mask!!! I tell you, that's the last time I'm going in there. It was filthy and the people weren't all that nice either.

Rebecca said...

So good to read about your day and shopping excursion! Similar here. Prices are high here; particularly meat. Shelves not nearly as full...

M.K. said...

Good for you! That is a big grocery haul, and should last you a long, long time. I find the safest time to go to the grocery store is first thing in the morning, maybe you do too. The store is newly-cleaned. Not many shoppers, and most of them are elderly and wearing masks. I prefer that. I've been reading online from various friends locally about which groceries are better about wearing and requiring masks. Publix was recommended. I will be watching, and will change my shopping location if I need to!

Stay safe and cool, dear.