Saturday, October 1, 2022

All is well here at Plum Cottage

Hello Friends, thank you so much for prayers. Do pray for all who were in Ian's path. There is so much horrible devastation, last I heard 35 lives lost and there could be more as search and rescue continues.

This storm came up so fast and turned deadly. I am thankful for being spared. I have to admit I was scared. I prayed, read uplifting Bible verses, listened to and sang some songs. We had strong winds and really strong gusts. In this little wooden cottage I hear so much that freaks me out. Thursday morning I could hear thunder to the southeast, and it was weird sounding. We were under a tornado watch, and then all of a sudden the most horrific thunder I've ever heard in my life happened. That scary bit passed over rather quickly, then it was windy all day Thursday. It calmed down somewhat later in the evening, and Friday morning it was quiet when I woke up  and such a blessed relief. 

Had some palm fronds down, bent plants, fence slats down off the super old fencing that runs along my driveway. We did not lose power here and I am thankful for that.

Yesterday, Friday, I mowed and trimmed the front hedge, raked and bagged up debris for pick up today. From the hedge trimming and using the heavy clippers I am so sore especially my right shoulder and neck muscles, and my back of course. I didn't sleep well last night.It's been a stressful week with wondering what Ian was going to do.  Seeing photos and videos of the devastation from this storm is heartbreaking. 

Thanks again for your prayers. That means a lot.

 Here are a few rose pics taken yesterday and this morning.

This is Double Delight, battered but still lovely. What a surprise to see that this was actually two roses in one.

 

These next photos were taken this morning. 

'Crepuscule' rose.

 

 'International Herald Tribune'

'Double Delight'



 

Even though I was physically alone here, except for Miss Tork, I was never truly alone, and being a believer in Jesus, I believe He is always with me as He promised. Fear and anxiety are what I have to cast on Him every time they rear their ugly heads. We are to take our negative thoughts captive and trust Jesus with all that we are and all that we have.

That's it for now. I will try to post more often now that cooler weather is coming.. It was 66 yesterday morning, what a wonderful blessing.

Enjoy your weekend and count your blessings.

Love, hugs and prayers,

FlowerLady

20 comments:

Lynn and Precious said...

Lorraine, you talk about battered rose blossoms, but it sounds as if your body took a battering in the clean up work. It is good to hear your home and you survived this horrific hurricane. Prayers for everyone in Florida. We know a few down there and have not heard a word from them. Lynn and Precious

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Lorraine! Praise God that you are well and didn't have much damage from Ian. Prayers for all those affected and those who lost so much. Truly heartbreaking. You are right, that as believers in and followers of Jesus Christ, we are never really alone. It's always good to hear from you. Have a good weekend.

Barbara H. said...

Thank you for the update! So worrisome and of course so devastating for those in the path.

ellen b. said...

Thanks for letting us know you are good! So far all my bloggy friends and a relative or two have faired well in this storm. Thankful.

Linda Tucker said...

Thank you for letting us know you are alright. I’m praying for you.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a blessing to know that you were safe in the storm and that God was with you all the way, as He has promised us He would be. Love your gorgeous roses and flowers. So thankful that they and you came through the storm so beautifully.

Nancy J said...

Miss Tork and you, both safe, and the roses have withstood Ian's fury.I am so thankful to read your words today , thinking of all others who have lost so much. Stay safe, your faith will withstand everything. XXX from NZ.

L. D. said...

I am so glad that you are good. I thought of you continually every time reports kept coming up. It was a bad storm and those in the eye were destroyed. You cottage did well and you leaning on God was great. I am sure you will still have a lot of clean up with strong winds. The flowers are survivors.

M.K. said...

So glad that you are well and all is safe at your home!! I'm amazed that you have such beautiful rose blossoms after that horrific storm. Truly the people along that western coast did not anticipate how bad it would be. I'm so sorry. Another Florida friend commented on Facebook that it was 66 degrees in the morning, and how wonderful that was! Go easy on all that outdoor work. It's hard on the body. I also found out lately that "Anxiety Back Pain" is a real condition! Some of my back pain was from anxiety, and new medication is helping with that.
Much love your way, and enjoy the lovely autumn that's now coming.

Gary said...

Hello Lorraine
I haven't been about for a while as you know. Lovely to see you still on here, and to see your beautiful rose blooms. It must be awful to live in an area that gets hit by storms so often. Do take care

Melanie said...

So glad to hear you are safe and that you didn't lose power. Hope you get some needed rest now. Maybe an epsom salt bath would help with your sore shoulder.

xoxo

Dewena said...

Lorraine, it was good to read that you're okay, and Plum Cottage. We have a daughter in Port St. Lucie and they're okay too except for losing trees and so much yard damage, like you. Two sisters in Orlando are okay too but one sister's beautiful store flooded. Still, the loss of lives and property and infrastructure in Florida is overwhelming. We spent a week on Sanibel Island one summer when our kids were small and it was so disturbing to see them isolated and cut off from help. You be careful and take care of yourself.

Gretchen Joanna said...

I'm so happy to hear that you and your home are still safe and sound. <3

Terra said...

I am so happy to hear from you and that you and Plum Cottage stayed safe through the violent storm. We who live alone and are Christians have the comfort of knowing we are never alone since God is with us at every moment. That helps me often to remember that. I admire that you have already been outside and working on the damage to your gardens.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I am so happy that you posted here today. I have been thinking about you and praying that you and plum cottage would be safe during the storm and the tornadoes that were spawned.

Vee said...

So glad that you made it through the storm. I imagine you were very pleased to have Miss Tork's company. I have to remind myself that I am never alone, especially when it gets noisy and unsettling. How amazing that the roses made it through as well. They are truly beautiful. Don't overdo any more cleanup. The sore and stiff muscles aren't worth it. Enjoy the cooler days...

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm sorry you were frightened by the storm, Lorraine. It's good that no damage was done to your house. Your roses are still doing nicely, and it must be a joy to see them in your garden. Yes, keep praying, and I just said a prayer for you as well. Wishing you brighter October days, Lorraine.

~Sheri

NanaDiana said...

I am so happy that you got by without any major damage. I used to live on Fort Myers Beach with a roommate and then she and I moved to Fort Myers. Both the places we rented are gone forever. Just so sad.

Your flower pictures are just beautiful. I, like you, believe that even when we are alone physically, we are never alone if we have the Lord. Blessings and love- Diana

Jillayne said...

That's just the best news - so glad you're ok and that your little cottage came through the storm safely. I can't imagine the stress and the worry... it's been such a terrible ordeal for so many but I am glad you are safe. Take care, Jillayne

Anne Payne said...

Gorgeous Roses!!! I'm glad you were spared any horrific storm tidings. My sister in Stuart was really under the gun but they survived. Praise the Lord for his mercy.