Thursday, September 5, 2019

I am so thankful

Hello Friends ~ Here it is late Thursday afternoon. I got a load of laundry washed and hung out to dry, now it's sitting in the basket waiting to be folded and put away. I did some tree and hedge trimming, then had to quit as it was just too hot and humid out. I made forward progress here at Plum Cottage. Today I felt a hint of autumn in the air, I think it is that the sun is more at an angle. My DH used to laugh when I'd say 'fall is coming' and we were still sweating buckets in Sept. We won't really have cooler temps until Oct/Nov.

I am ashamed to say that late last Friday afternoon I really had an anxiety meltdown. I had worked on the path and getting some smaller plywood pieces up to cover windows myself. I was tired and stressed over Dorian which was a cat 5 hurricane right then with winds of 185 mph headed right for here. I  sent a text to pastors of my church requesting prayer. Then I sat here at my desk and cried and prayed. They texted back that they would pray, the asst pastor sent a  link to a song on you tube that has helped him when he has been worried. This is an old hymn, and I sang along with tears of thanksgiving streaming.


The lead pastor sent me scripture he had read that morning, which was just right for me right then.
Psalm 121 The Passion Translation (TPT)
God Protects Us

121 A song of the stairway

I look up to the mountains and hills, longing for God’s help.
But then I realize that our true help and protection
come only from the Lord,
our Creator who made the heavens and the earth.

He will guard and guide me, never letting me stumble or fall.
God is my keeper; he will never forget nor ignore me.

He will never slumber nor sleep;
he is the Guardian-God for his people, Israel.

Jehovah himself will watch over you;
he’s always at your side to shelter you safely in his presence.

He’s protecting you from all danger both day and night.

He will keep you from every form of evil or calamity
as he continually watches over you.

You will be guarded by God himself.
You will be safe when you leave your home
and safely you will return.
He will protect you now,
and he’ll protect you forevermore!

I felt so much calmer after the prayers and encouragement from them. I didn't feel so anxious and did not have another meltdown, even though we were still expecting Dorian to hit us.

It was awful watching the devastation that Dorian was wreaking on the Bahamas, for over 24 hours as it stalled there. It was only moving 1 mph and we still didn't know which way it would go. But there were weather patterns, that were predicted to pull it northward and hopefully keep it to the east of FL. Finally it started moving northward, slowly but surely, and kept east of us. Late Tues afternoon I really started to relax as the storm was east and mid state and steadily moving northward. Why were we spared and not the Bahamas? I don't know and I pray for those living there who now have to rebuild their lives. I'm also praying for the Carolinas as they are dealing with nasty weather including tornadoes from Dorian. 

While staying with my friend, I was lying on the bed in the afternoon during some bands of wind and rain and what I noticed in the midst of this weather, was a mockingbird singing away right outside the window, not a care in the world. Reminded me of God's taking care of the birds mentioned in the Bible, and how He cares much more for us.

------------

Miss Tork and I are so glad to be home, humble as it is, it is our little sanctuary. Now I'll share some photos taken before and after.
Below is the scullery window boarded up.


From inside


Candlestick cassia, photo taken on the first.


International Herald Tribune rose.








 As I was outside this morning, I heard a loud buzzing and it was this hover fly inside a bloom of the candlestick cassia.
You can see him inside one of the blooms and also an ant on top.



This photo was taken from inside. I happened to look up and saw the pink blooms framed inside the heart shape.


 After being away for almost three days, seeing my gardens again really was a balm to my heart and soul. I've lots of work to do in them, and it will get done in time. There are butterflies all over the place, along with bees, pollinating all of the flowers.

Life is precious, let us appreciate the gift of each new day that we are blessed with.
To God be the glory now and forever.
Amen.

FlowerLady


17 comments:

Susie said...

So thankful you are safe. You can de-stress by taking the boarding down and enjoy the light once more. So pretty there. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

lil red hen said...

So happy for you and glad you were able to return to Plum Cottage and all your lovely flowers. You are an inspiration to us, sharing your love and faith in God and His protection.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your attitude and peace are so refreshing. God is in control.I know that but sometimes I feel like I must make all the decisions on my own. Thank-you for sharing your heart.

Nancy J said...

I read your words, see your fear, then your faith. Would that I should be as strong in times like you have had the last week. Lovely blooms, a bird singing, down here we have peach blossom next door, one tulip is flowering, the painter is continuing to make the windows look like new.Rain overnight has freshened up all the gardens. XXX to you and Miss Tork

Cheryl said...

So thankful that you (and your kitty) are safely home. What a relief that Florida was spared the devastation of Dorian, but certainly praying for those whose homes were devastated.

Ann said...

So happy to hear that you made it through this. I can only imagine how scary it must be to have a storm like that coming right at you. A meltdown is certainly understandable.

Vee said...

Good pastors you have there... I am so glad that this one has gone by and still praying that hurricane season won’t be a nightmare. I found it interesting that the news media shows all the devastation in the Bahamas without showing that NOT all of the Bahamas is destroyed. Goodness, I thought the entire place was flattened. It is bad enough as it is.

Linda Tucker said...

I sure am sorry about your anxiety. I suffer with a worrisome attitude also, but I know who holds all the answers. I work hard at trusting, but sometimes I feel more successful than at other times. My mom use to say, "I don't know what I would do if I couldn't pray."
Linda

Debbie said...

What a wonderful post...from fear to glory. Praise God for your friends that counseled you, and for the power of prayer in your life. Even in our darkest hour, the Lord provides the hope that we need to get through the most horrible of situations. Your post is one of how God can take us from a dark place, back into the light. You've inspired me today. Thank you for your honesty, and your witness to the power of prayer. Debbie xo

Kim said...

Glad that you're safe! Those scriptures are definitely some to cling to! God doesn't break His promises! 🙏🏻

firefly819 said...

Dear Sweet Flower Lady, I am so glad that you are safe and sound. I hope that you can dwell in peace now that Dorian has passed over you. I was praying for you. You are truly blessed to be surrounded by such beautiful flowers and to be able to find a calming joy in your pastor’s song.

GretchenJoanna said...

I'm very thankful for your safety!!

Junkchiccottage said...

So happy you were safe. It is wonderful you had a safe haven to go too in case Dorian was as harsh as it was in the Bahamas. Florida got very lucky with Dorian. Glad you are back home and enjoying your pretty garden and flowers.
Happy Weekend.
Kris

Kit said...

So glad you and your home are safe. Take it slow and easy. Lovely flowers! Love, KK

Mrs. White said...

I have been wondering how you were doing with this hurricane. I love the song you shared. It is so comforting! I am thankful for your pastor and for the prayers from your church! God bless you!

ellen b. said...

So good to hear you are safe and sound in your own home. I'm glad your pastors were prompt in sending you comforting words during your time of trouble. God is good. I'm going to turn down my stereo and listen to the hymn your pastor shared now...

M.K. said...

We also were spared, and our plants and trees were spared after going through so much trauma last September with Florence that they have not yet recovered. Hurricanes are rough!