Wednesday, January 2, 2019

2019 ~ A New Year to Live Fully

Hello Folks ~ Here it is the afternoon of the 2nd day of this new year. I pray that you are all doing well, that 2019 will be filled with blessings whatever comes your way.

Each day is a gift, let us choose wisely how we will spend each one. Let us live in thankfulness, let us find joy, may we learn and grow through our experiences. Let us be kind, giving, forgiving, and encouraging to others. We all go through different trials in our lives, none of us are exempt. Some have a lot more to deal with than others, but we can all survive and we can thrive in and through our circumstances. I’m not saying life will be a bed or roses or all sugar and spice, but there are positives in every day. Let’s look for them and thank God who is the giver of all good things.

12-31-bermudas-kathleen

Again I want to thank those who blessed me with ‘gifts’ this past month. I am using some to pay bills, bought  some gardening tools, and some flowers. I will also be going out to eat with my ‘Grief Share’ family at the end of this 13 week session of meetings. For my health, I have ordered a pedometer. I have become too sedentary in the last couple of years, and that is NOT good for my health and well being.

I had researched pedometers a few months back, and put it out of my mind, then the brand I had thought about popped up in a sidebar somewhere, so I read up on it again. It had good reviews and the price wasn’t too bad. After ordering it, I found a website that had figured out pedometer steps for different activities. They had gardening on their list, and lawn mowing, yay for me. One hour of gardening = 7260 steps, and hour of lawn mowing = 9120 steps. I’ve read all over the internet that we should be taking 10,000 steps per day to be healthy and fit. Since losing my job 2 years ago, I’ve spent way too much time in front of my computer and not doing other things. I want that to change this year. I have plenty to do, and want to accomplish things while I still have the ability to do so. Here’s the one I ordered from Amazon.

Omron HJ325 Alvita Ultimate Pedometer, Blue

On New Year’s Eve morning I went outside to work in my front garden area as it is so overgrown. So, I pulled weeds, trimmed and then got ready to rake and my rake handle broke. This is like the 4th time and the handle is getting shorter and shorter. This has been my favorite rake for years and years. A couple of tines are missing and I looked at it this morning and more are rusting out.  So, New Year’s Day morning I headed over to Home Depot. I had looked up rakes on their website and with it being a holiday it was a quiet day to shop.

I found the rakes and looked at the one I thought about getting and then at another one made by the same company that was $10 cheaper all because of the handle. The more expensive rake had a fiberglass handle, the cheaper a hard wood handle. I opted for the cheaper one and will keep it under shelter. I used the rake this morning and really like it.

01-01-goodies2  

I needed a garden pouch. The one I was using was one of those smaller cotton deals with two pockets. I wanted something that would hold more. I decided to go to the tool dept. At first all I saw were heavy duty tool pouches made of leather, then down lower, I saw this Husky pouch. I took it out of the pkg. to check it out and fell in love. Winking smile I like the clip that fastens it closed, real easy to release. I think this was $7.98. Very well made and should last me the rest of my gardening days. I needed new garden gloves also, and this three pack was $4.     

Old gloves, with holes in tips, that have seen better days.

   01-01-old-gloves       

01-01-goodies

I needed more potting soil so bought two bags of a new-to-me brand. I’ll let you know what I think.

01-01-org-potting-soil

Some flowers bought for myself to enjoy. I’ve not bought any in awhile.

Pink Angel Wing begonias

01-02-angel-wing-begoniajpg

A beautiful ground orchid. I have another like this and several purple ones. They do grow in soil.

01-02-ground-orchid

Pink hibiscus, huge flowers

12-31-pink-hib

Now for some flowers already growing here at Plum Cottage.

Louis Philippe or Florida Cracker rose with a wild petunia flowering vine

01-01-louis-philippe

‘Carnation’ roses

12-31-carnation-roses

This is ‘hugs-n-kisses’ bought a couple of months after my dear husband left this planet. When I saw these blooms and then the name, the pot just jumped into my cart.

12-31-hugs-n-kisses

12-31-hugs-n-kisses2

I think this is a ‘knock-out’ rose, have two of them bought a few years back.

12-31-knock-out

Don’t know the name of this rose.

12-31-noid

Can’t remember the name of this flowering vine.

12-31-vine

Area I worked on this morning, before I started.

01-01-back-bed

After, still more to do but I did make forward progress.

01-02-work-done

******

I found out about this great LED magnifying glass lamp through another blogger who paints miniatures and does fine needlework. Ordered it through Amazon and used an Amazon gift card, it came New Years Eve morning.  Let me tell you that this lamp is amazing. I look forward to getting back into doing bead embroidery. I love doing that and have missed creating with beads.

Brightech- LightView Flex LED Magnifier Clamp Lamp- Gooseneck Light for Desk, Table & Easel Use – Daylight Super Bright, Perfect for Reading, Hobbies, Task Crafts or Workbench- White

That’s it for now. Enjoy the rest of your first week of 2019. I look forward to working on my little ‘sanctuary’ creating a peaceful environmet.

FlowerLady

I will close this first post of this new year with the following. This came in my email through Grace Gems. My dear husband found this website years ago and thought it sounded like one I would like. I do and have been blessed over and over again by different writings from this website.

*****************

A New Year’s Resolution

"My times are in Your hand!" Psalm 31:15

Firmly believing that my times are in God's hand,
I here submit myself and all my affairs for the ensuing year,
to the wise and gracious disposal of God's divine providence.

Whether God appoints for me . . . .
   health or sickness,
   peace or trouble,
   comforts or crosses,
   life or death--
  may His holy will be done!

In everything I have to do--my entire dependence is upon Jesus Christ for strength.
And whatever I do in word or deed,
I desire to do all in His name,
to make Him my Alpha and Omega.
I have all from Him--and I would use all for Him.

(Matthew Henry - 18 October 1662 – 22 June 1714)

21 comments:

Nancy J said...

New Year goodies that are not a treat but a real necessity, but then some treats as well.Plum Cottage gardens are looking so cared for, I need you down here. We have a blank canvas, and a lot of plants in pots that have been stored with a friend for nearly 3 months. They are all thriving, and 2 lilies due to flower any day. May the year ahead give you love and happiness.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Sounds like you are ready to face this new year head on.I find that sometimes just being able to get a couple of new items can be so uplifting.May God bless you richly each and every day of the year.

Henny Penny said...

You sound so cheerful! Wish I had been with you at Home Depot. :) I raked leaves today. A bunch of leaves. In fact, I need a new rake too. I have completely worn out one of my rakes with the lifetime guarantee. I just love that little building of yours. Your flowers are beautiful! Raking leaves today, I uncovered lots of Jonquils that have come through the ground...and winter has just started. Hope they'll be okay. Love, Henny

annie said...

A very sweet encouraging post, dear Lady! I hope you do have a lovely year, and that you will be able to excersize, walk, and bring your garden to life. I could tell from the photos, you surely did make progress. I love those begonias!
Many Blessings, and Happy New Year.

GretchenJoanna said...

The gardening tools and equipment will surely brighten your chore-time :-)

God is with us!! Every moment. Your writing is a witness to His sustaining life and joy, which keep us going. The new year will be good!

Junkchiccottage said...

Lorraine so happy you were able to get some new things to help with gardening and the flowers are so sweet and will look so pretty in your garden. Oh how I wish I were going in the garden. Nope not in Illinois for many more months. So enjoy that gorgeous weather in Florida. Hugs and Happy New Year.
Kris

Ann said...

You've had a busy year so far. I too need to get out and move more. Even though I'm up and walking all day long at work, once I get home I sit around more than anything else.
All your flowers are so pretty

Vee said...

My! You have been busy! All your flowers are so pretty and I am glad that you surround yourself with beauty. That closing piece by Matthew Henry is beautiful. Would that we all lived our lives following those sentiments. Now I am off to shovel...snow not dirt. ❄️

ellen b. said...

I'll have to check out that website. Looks like you are starting the year off well. We have a couple old rakes we refuse to get rid of even though the handles are half the size. With the shorter handles it's easier to use both to pick up the leaves in a pile. Using the two like tongs. TMI ? :)

M.K. said...

Oh, I'm glad you'll be getting back to your bead work. It is so pretty, and it's creative and good for the mind. Plus, it's a good off-set for all that hefty walking you'll be doing! Good for you, getting up and moving around. I was in the garden this morning too. Have a blessed day!

Cheryl said...

I, too, love that quote by Matthew Henry! What a beautiful prayer of commitment!

You have made some wise and thoughtful purchases . . . investments, really.

Sandra said...

Lorraine, I would love to have a beautiful garden like yours, oh my goodness, I'm always in awe of your flowers.

I wish you a very good, blessed and wonderful year :)

Hugs,
Sandra

Buttons alias Grace said...

Lorraine you have beautiful flowers in your garden. I put a pedometer on my phone once I had calibrated it wrong and never did get 10000 steps I was ragged at the end of the day trying to get it up there. Funny. I think we all need motivation in our lives and I think you have found yours. All the best in the New Year.

Sandra said...

Lindas flores. Feliz ano novo. Cumprimentos

Karen said...

Hello Rainey, I have made many of the same resolutions for this year, too. I have to get back to exercising; it's been hit and miss since my mother's illness and passing and then with the inlaws needs, exercise took a backseat. I used to walk 20K a day, phew, now I'm lucky if I get 10K. I think you'll love the Omron pedometer, I had one for years before I got hooked on the Fitbit craze. I have not been feeling fantastic the last few months and I am going to try to move more and see if it helps. I love your garden, the flowers are so beautiful. Here we sit with ice and snow, but I have the treat of looking at your lovely, lovey garden.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Happy New Year, Lorrraine! You have been so busy. Your flowers are beautiful. Have a wonderful New Year.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I enjoyed seeing all your new purchases in the New Year. Your flowers are so pretty and your clean up around the garden looks wonderful. Getting back to your embroidery and bead work will be such a creative outlet for you. Thank you for sharing the New Year's Resolution from Matthew Henry. Many blessings are sent for you in 2019!

Rebecca said...

I was inspired by this post! All of it .. including the flowers. It's quite grey and dull here. No snow though. No reason not to bundle up and get out and walk a bit!

jerilanders said...

Lorraine, you got a good haul there, never enough garden gloves, we go through them like candy, don't we?! I got a really great work apron off Amazon, going to do a video about it... and other tools.
Having Christ in one's life is what holds it all together, especially during those tough days,but you have faithful readers too, and that is very lovely to know.

L. D. said...

I missed reading this one. Your shed looks well organized and plants are looking great. The angel wing beanie is what I have in my basement. It was bought in a planter last summer and it has never stopped blooming even after I moved it inside for winter. I am anxious for spring already and sadly that is two and more month ahead. Keep up the good work in your garden and I do wish you to have a great new year.

outlawgardener said...

For some reason, your posts haven't been popping to the top of the list on my reader when you post them so I've missed seeing them. Today I stopped by to see how you were and found all these posts I missed. You've been in my thoughts and I'm so happy to hear that you're making progress in your garden (the after picture shows a lot of hard work.) So much for which to be thankful!