Sunday, January 19, 2014

Hip, hip hooray :-)

 

Thank you all for your comments about the clothesline project. Your thoughts on using quickcrete, had me going to you tube to see what I could find about that.  Easy enough, but I didn’t really want to lug a couple of bags of concrete from HD, out of the van, over to the pre-dug holes. This whole idea was becoming a downer and had me thinking of just buying another cheapie clothesline. 

After I got home from church this morning and had a little lunch, I thought there has got to be a way for me to still use this clothesline. The lines were still in great shape, it’s just the arms that broke.  I went out and looked at it closely, and thought ah-ha, I can use pvc pipe. (This was Mark’s way of thinking, how to fix something with something we’ve got laying around here in our stash of ‘junk’.)

Here it is minus the cross pieces that connect to the center and to the other downward pieces.

01-19-clothesline

A closer look at the connection pieces on the center pipe, and you can also see rusty holes on the other pipes for connecting the other end.

01-19-clothesline2

I looked at one piece of pvc pipe, two small, another one was too big, then I found a nice long piece, 1/2”, perfect!  I thought of nuts and bolts. I was getting excited. 

I set up two saw horses, laid the clothesline on it, went to the workshop for a hacksaw, cut the aluminum rivets, and I was half way there. I was grinning from ear to ear hoping my idea was going to work.

I then measured the old pipes. Cut pvc, used a vise in the shop to put each piece into to drill holes at each end. This was a big deal to me, drilling holes.  It took me awhile to find the bolts that would work, because dear Mark had little bins of them and I had to look to find the right size, but eventually I found 4 short ones and 4 longer ones, then had to find nuts to fit.

01-19-clothesline5

Here’s my length of pvc. Real exciting huh?

01-19-clothesline3

Below is one of my favorite all time tools.  It cuts pvc like it was butter.

01-19-clothesline4

More tools. For the project.

01-19-clothesline6

Here it is all done.  The only thing is, it won’t fold up, and I don’t know what the hitch is, but I never folded it up anyway. I can ask my brother in law when he comes back down to work on plumbing.

01-19-clothesline7

Had to find 4 bolts long enough to go through both things.

01-19-clothesline8

This is the center connection.

01-19-clothesline9

When I got done, I could hear Mark saying ‘Atta-Girl’, you did it. (‘Atta-girl’ was something he would say to me over different accomplishments and it always made me feel good.) I was so happy and proud of myself for thinking of a way to do this project with materials laying around. I didn’t have to spend a dime, just some time. I even got out some spray lubricant for aluminum and sprayed the pipe that goes up inside the pipe of clothesline.

I am so thankful for having been married to my guy who could do almost anything he wanted.  He loved creating and working with his hands, was that way from the time he was a boy. He loved recycling, repurposing and restoring things. I loved working with him, I miss working with him.  What a treat to be able to take care of this problem, with knowledge learned from working with him all of those years.

I’m so thrilled with my day’s relaxing, fun, and successful project that I’m going to make tacos and fix myself a margarita to celebrate. Winking smile I turned on the water to the house, and the hot water heater.  Then I can wash dishes and take a nice hot shower before turning the water off again for the night. 

My word for this year is ‘conqueror’, to be victorious, and that’s what happened with this project.  I thank God for being with me and helping me and for my dear Mark and the life and love that we shared. I gained some confidence today and that’s wonderful.

A lot of times if we just wait a bit, solutions will come to us.  I’m glad I didn’t go out and buy another clothesline like I was going to, and that was because I had a flat tire.  I’m glad I didn’t rush out and buy bags of quickcrete, before the holes even got dug.  I’m glad I didn’t dig the holes. What a LOT of work all that would have been.  This was much calmer and nicer. Now I look forward to the next load of laundry to be washed and hung out.

Have a great week.

FlowerLady

P.S. Here’s something that happened after work yesterday.  Something that took me out of my ‘comfort zone’. (Widow’s are supposed to do things that take them out of this zone, to broaden their horizons and make them less afraid and vulnerable.)

My friends who have the shop next door to where I work asked me and another lady who does restoration work for them and my boss, to go out to dinner to a Thai restaurant they had just found. I had to think about this, because I don’t go out at night, and would be driving home in the dark, about a 30 minute drive. I decided ‘yes’ I can do this, God is my strength, and He will be with me as I drive home in the dark.

We had a great time and the food was fantastic!  The ambience of the place was really nice. I had a green curried chicken with vegetables, which were asparagus, green beans, avocado, red and green bell peppers and celery, served over Jasmine rice.  It was a number ‘3’ out of a possible ‘5’ in the hot category.  I’ve got enough for two more meals and am looking forward to that. I also had a glass of chardonnay.

I made it home and all was well when I got here. They called me to make sure I got home ok. I was getting read to get in touch with them as I had just gotten here and changed clothes. I slept good last night and woke up rested.

That’s it for now ~ FL

24 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Way to go. I would never attempt to fix things like you do.I guess I was so spoiled,I never had to do stuff like that.There are other areas in life,where I am pushed out of my comfort zone and Yes,that is a good thing.

Terra said...

Way to go, friend, fixing the clothesline holder in a clever way, and then going out of your comfort zone to have dinner with friends at night. We like Thai food, it is healthy at the Thai restaurant we like. Not oily. Well done Lorraine.

Southern Lady said...

I know your sweet husband would have been very proud of your accomplishments and your venturing out of your comfort zone. :). -Carla

Sallysmom said...

Girl, you are doing so good! Mark has taught you a lot. I know I've told you before as others have, you are an inspiration. Reading your words inspires us to try a little harder to solve things when problems come up. Have a truly terrific week!!

Rebecca said...

All that and Thai food, too! Kudos to you (again). ♥

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

All good things. What a great post!

Darcie said...

You are such an inspiration to me....to ALL your readers. Your spirit never ceases to amaze me, and spur me on. I love your word, "conqueror"...what a perfect word. (((hugs to you my friend)))

It's Just Dottie said...

Way to go girl!!!
Hugs, Dottie

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Yay! You did it! I am glad that you had the PVC pipe idea. Good savings in money and labor.

organicgardendreams said...

Hi Lorraine, wow, I am so impressed with your handyman, better said handywoman skills! How wonderful that you could repair your clothesline yourself, with material and tools that you already had. To fix the problem in an efficient way yourself certainly must feel good. You can be very proud of yourself! Congratulation and I hope you had a nice celebration of your accomplishment! Warm regards,
Christina

Nancy J said...

You are such a DIY gal these days, well done, now the laundry will hang ever so neatly.no need to dig a hole, happy as a pig in "....".. Greetings from Jean.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Keep on going forward, FL! You are doing a great job! Very proud of you! Haven't been around and I'm sorry about that! Just know that The Herbal Husband and I are thinking about you and we're just a click away if you need us! xo

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love your ingenuity! You inspire me! So glad you had run at Thai restaurant. Sounds like it was really good. You have had a nice weekend and I hope the week ahead goes just as well! Hugs from Arizona!

Julie said...

Congratulations on your accomplishments!!!!! Way to go!

Tracy said...

Woo hoo! You got this! So happy for you!

Karen said...

Atta Girl, indeed! I am so happy and proud of you to read this, Rainey! You are an amazing Conqueror.

A washline is a very important thing to have, I well know, I would be lost without mine. I love how you remember how to use all the tools, I don't think I know too many other women who are as capable. Mark is certainly cheering you on.

I'm sorry the water problem isn't solved yet; my well just kicked on again, too....and soon we may be turning the water off at night and when we're away too. Leaks can be so hard to find. I pray yours is an easy fix.

The meal you had at the restaurant sounds wonderful and I'm glad you made it there and back safely, with leftovers. :-)

You are always in my prayers and my heart, dear friend.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Aw- clever, brave, and courageous. A killer combination that will take you far beautiful lady.

crafty cat corner said...

I am so impressed, there's a motto there somewhere that goes along the lines of 'If you put your mind to something you can do it'.
Well done Lorraine.
Briony
x

RockWhisperer said...

I do find that solutions come to me usually in the night after I've gone to bed. Waiting is good.

I bet the reason your clothesline won't fold is because your bolts are too tight. But if you never fold it anyway, why bother? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Love and Hugs, Ilene

Val said...

Good for you! I looooove the scent and feel of clothes that have dried outside in fresh air, so I was hoping you'd be able to find a way to make it work. :) And there's a good start to your week. 'Atta girl, indeed. ♥

M.K. said...

I'm so impressed with your clothesline creativity! Isn't it fun and rewarding to complete a project like that, all on your own. I enjoy them when I can find all the tools/materials I need. It looks great! In fact, b/c the PVC won't rust, it may well be a better clothesline than it was before.

Glad you went out with friends. That is one of the joys of life, and can be done safely. Good for you!

Gary said...

He certainly made sure that he left you with the skills and mindset to take care of the practical things when he sadly had to leave, didn't he Lorraine. That is one skilled and clever repair of the rotary washing line. Have a really good week over there.

sharon said...

wow way to think out of the box...creativity!!! very gratifying...and im proud of you for getting up the nerve to go out for dinner!!! i love thai and especially green curry...

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Very well done, Lorraine; I'm proud of you! It looks good too and will last a long time.