Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Heat, Humidity, Thunder



But... NO rain. Dang. There was a lovely rainbow though. (Took a couple of pictures, but my batteries need recharging, so can't post pictures yet.) The rain clouds have moved all around us and we only got a few little sprinkles. It's one of my two watering days today, so after the rain clouds moved off, I turned on the sprinklers.

Wow, I just looked out the window to my right and what do I see, rain drops falling. I hope we get a good soaking as that would be GREAT!

Yesterday I took some flower seeds, mixed them all together and scattered them around. We'll see what happens with them. I also planted some other seeds in pots and have them up front so I can keep an eye on them. I repotted a couple of vines. Can't figure out where I want them yet, so they'll stay in pots until I see the right spot.

Yesterday afternoon and last evening I worked on two photo albums so that I could make little slideshows of my roses. I have 52 pictures in the one from last year, 23 in the one so far for this year.

Now, it's after lunch, and before lunch I worked on an album using Jalbum, so that I could upload it to my website. A little while later, and I've just finished the album for 2008.

I am so glad I didn't listen to a friend of ours who told me many years ago that roses do NOT grow in FL. Some don't that's for sure, but there are plenty that will. I love them all. I would love to have more, but unfortunately they are expensive, and I'm running out of room. So, I'm learning to be content with the beauties I have.

I'm also thankful to DH for giving me growing flowers after I told him I would rather have them than a dying bouquet. Our gardens here at Plum Cottage are the result. They are a continual work in progress. They are a lot of work. They are a joy!

By the way, we did get a few rain drops. Sky is still cloudy, so maybe there's a chance yet for a good heavy downpour.

Happy Gardening friends ~ FlowerLady










You love the roses - so do I.

I wish the sky would rain down roses,

as they rain from off the shaken bush.

Why will it not?

Then all the valley would be pink and white

and soft to tread on.

They would fall as light

as feathers, smelling sweet;

and it would be

like sleeping and like waking, all at once!


George Eliot, Roses



8 comments:

Dirt Princess said...

Beautiful slide shows! Good thing you didn't listen! I love when someone tells a gardener they can't grow something only to be proven wrong!!!!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

You sure have a lot of beautiful ones. I'm glad you didn't listen either, now we get to see them too!
I'm with you, I'd much rather have flowers that will bloom again and will remind me of who they are from than some that live just a few days.
Glad you're getting the rain you need!

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

I'm beginning to love them too. The fragrances are amazing. Yours are beautiful. I really hope you get that rain you need. Send us some dry clouds.

sweetbay said...

I'm glad you didn't listen to your friend as well. You have a beautiful collection of roses.

Tootsie said...

I love your roses!!! you should link up to my Friday post with the Mr. Linky and show off a little! lol
have a great weekend!

Becca's Dirt said...

Nice poem. I would be nice if most things were pink like the roses. You have some beautiful pictures there. Have a nice weekend. Becca

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thank you all. Glad you enjoyed the roses. Sure wish I could share their scents as well.

Dirt Princess ~ When our friend told us that, I had my first old garden rose, Louis Phillipe, pretty much a native around here that was growing like a weed. I later gave our friend a plant I'd gotten going from a cutting.

Catherine ~ Getting live plants or seeds, cuttings bulbs from others is a real joy in this life. Whenever you see the plants you think of spouses, friends, or wherever you got them from. We hardly got any rain the other day, we're supposed to get some over the next three days or so. The frogs were croaking during the night, and that's usually a good sign.

Tom ~ Read up on Old Garden Roses. They are more hardy, their flower form and scents wonderful!! The modern hybrids take a lot more work.

Sweetbay ~ Not listening was a good thing for sure. I wouldn't be enjoying the beauties we have today if I had. I am amazed with my collection seeing them together like that.

Tootsie ~ I'm not familiar at all with Mr. Linky. I'll check it out.

Becca ~ Rose petal covered paths would be sweet to walk on.

Do check into OGR's. You won't be disappointed, and you won't be able to have just one.

Have a great weekend everyone.

FlowerLady

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I am glad you finally got the rain. We have been having rainy weather without much rain.

I hope your flower seeds come up soon.

My word verification is "wormies". :o)