Monday, May 25, 2009

Be Still ...



Good morning Friends,

Hope you all have a lovely Memorial Day today. Let's not forget those who have served and do serve to protect our country, so that we might have the freedoms we enjoy.

***

The other day I checked out a nice little book from the library called, "Take Your Time - Finding Balance in a Hurried World" by Eknath Easwaran. This is a good read, very inspiring.

This morning when I first awoke, all kinds of thoughts of things that I think need doing started racing through my mind. I was hardly awake and here I was being put under a huge burden, sheesh. Then these words came to me, "Be still, and know that I am God." Wow.

A sense of calm, instead of feeling rushed filled my being. It is a feeling I want to carry with me the rest of the day, actually, the rest of my whole life.

Then this morning I received another great read in a newsletter from Terry Hershey, called Raccoons.

At the bottom of this newsletter was the following piece, that just fit into my life this morning.

I came across another piece as I opened my e-sword program, (Bible program) that was serendipitous. I will post that also.

***

May I not feel pressured by the demands of the day,
or let's say, what I think are the demands.

May I relax in the comfort
of knowing God loves and cares for me
and all things will be worked out.


May I be thankful for the many blessings that come my way,
today and every day.


May your day be gracious and full of many blessings also.

FlowerLady


***


Be still, and know that I am God.
Psalms 46:10

***

Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are.
Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart.
Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow.
Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
One day I shall dig my nails into the earth,
or bury my face in the pillow,
or stretch myself taut,
or raise my hands to the sky and want,
more than all the world, your return.
Mary Jean Iron

***

“Forsake me not, O Lord.”
Psalms 38:21

Frequently we pray that God would not forsake us in the hour of trial and temptation,
but we too much forget that we have need to use this prayer at all times.
There is no moment of our life, however holy,
in which we can do without his constant upholding.
Whether in light or in darkness,
in communion or in temptation,
we alike need the prayer,
“Forsake me not, O Lord.”
“Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe.”

Spurgeon.

7 comments:

Jenny wren's nest said...

What a relaxing and comforting though, Thanks
Jenny

Debbie's Garden said...

I like this. "Take your Time.." sounds like the kind of books I enjoy reading. The deep thought is very calming to me. I think your mind (a WOMANS anyway) can go in a million thoughts all at the same time. Slowing down and just focusing helps.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

I've found time lately to actually enjoy the gardens more and not just work work work all the time. It makes it all so much more enjoyable. Smelling roses is quickly becoming a favorite pastime.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Thank you for sharing these quotes. I have to remind myself often to just enjoy the present and not worry so much about the next day or the next week.

Sharon said...

This is what I needed right now. This is the time of year that I go to bed thinking about everything I'm going to get done the next day, "one way or another". I work myself to the bone from early spring through late fall, just because I feel like I'm suppose to be highly productive all the time.
Thanks for the reminders to, "Be Still", I sure needed them :)
Love
Sharon

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I decided to go to the most recent posts and work my way back through the older ones.

I liked this writing about time, and depending on God's guidance at all times.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Good morning everyone ~ I hope your Sunday is a lovely day.

You are welcome Jenny.

Debbie ~ I like to read things that touch my heart and soul. You are so right about our minds going in a million different directions. Sometimes it's awful. Lately when I feel that happening, I think of these words from God, Be still, and know that I am God, and it changes my whole attitude.

Hi Tom ~ Stopping to smell the roses is enjoyable and calming.

Catherine ~ "I have to remind myself often to just enjoy the present and not worry so much about the next day or the next week." Me too.

Sharon ~ "just because I feel like I'm supposed to be highly productive all the time" is not necessarily the right thing for any of us. We can get too caught up in busyness instead of being still. I know, because it happens to me all the time. Hope things are going well for you.

Sue ~ glad you liked.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady