Thursday, November 10, 2022

Morning after Nicole made landfall

Good morning Folks, 

Thanks for all of your prayers. I was pretty calm, although I have to admit a couple of fear niggles did come up, but I prayed and left them with God. I slept good last night.  We had light rain and some wind all day yesterday until around 9:30 last night when we had about 30 minutes of 'heavy' rain with stronger winds. All in all we got around 2 inches of rain. Winds at that time were 27 mph. 

All night was rather quiet. I woke up around 3:15 checked the weather and saw that Nicole had made landfall north of me about 56 miles away. She hit as a Cat. one hurricane 75 mph winds, but quickly became a tropical storm. At this time she is now over central Florida with winds 60 mph. 

I went outside to take some pictures, the sun was shining then, but now it's cloudy skies again, looks like more rain might be possible.

I loved how the morning sunlight was hitting the pine trees.

This was a bit tricky for me to put up, but I did it. I could not find the plywood top and the front piece is crooked, but hey for me being on my ladder, praying and doing my best I was happy with the results. I did have to tie some rope across the top to tighten it up.

All of the plywood, and this old shutter was what we had on hand without going out and buying new wood. I think I'm going to have to buy new plywood though, and have someone cut me new coverings. I'll keep this shutter though as it's in great shape except for peeling paint which can be sanded. Mark made these around 2003. He cut the heart shapes so that we could see out. He could have just made circles or squares, but he surprised me with the heart shapes. Oh how I miss him!
 



These next pics are of the living room windows inside, and then one outside.




I'm so glad the storm has passed. It's been a somewhat stressful few days preparing, waiting and watching, but we survived. I'm so thankful to God for sparing my having to deal with destructive storms since Mark's been gone. I've had foliage clean up to deal with, but nothing major. They've all gone around me. Well, one a few years back I did go stay with my SIL and BIL north of me, because the storm was headed our way and it did hit. I was there 3-4 days and we were without power. It was good to get home and see nothing was damaged. Each storm is different. 

It looks like the cottage could stand another coat of pain. This paint job is from 2016 and the Florida sun has faded it out.

Ok, that's it from Plum Cottage for now. Just wanted to let you know all is well.

Enjoy the blessing of the gift of each new day.

Love, hugs and prayers,

FlowerLady

15 comments:

Lynn and Precious said...

You certainly have plenty to be thankful for. Some rain is good and no damage is a blessing. It was good of you to post a few times so we could see how it was going to possibly be in your area. We are to get a few inches of rain here Friday, north central Ohio, from Nicole. But it has been dry for the past 6 weeks so it will be welcome. Then in the 40's and 20's. Lynn and Precious

BeachGypsy said...

I LOVE your kitchen windowsill-- so pretty. Love the stained glass hanging up and all the colorful bottles!! Glad the storm wasn't bad

Nancy J said...

I'm so thankful you are safe. The shutters, could you have them on hinges, to make it easier to close when you need them across the windows? Or would hinges be not strong enough to withstand the wind? Love that first photo, glorious gold.

Dewena said...

I'm so thankful that you are safe, and sweet Plum Cottage. We have a daughter in Port St. Lucie and were so relieved to know she and her family were safe there. I hope this is the last hurricane of 2022. You take care working out in your garden!

vic said...

It' good to know that things went well for you during this last (for the season, we hope) hurricane. Those preparations must take some doing but you never know when they will make a big difference if the storm really materializes in your area.

vic said...

It's good to know that things went well for you during the storm. Those preparations must take a lot of doing but can make a real difference if the storm actually materializes in your area.

Take care.

L. D. said...

I am so glad you are good. I thought of you and wondered. I can't see how you can waterproof any house down there when the rains are so constant and the winds so strong.

Henny Penny said...

Glad you and all around you are safe. I am always so happy to see a storm move on. We had severe storms and tornade warnings on Friday...partly from the storm and a warm front from the ocean and a cold front from the north. Dan had to work until noon and I surely was nervous. So thankful too for prayer and Heavenly Father who hears us.

Terra said...

Your shutter with the heart shapes cut in it is so precious and I know you will keep it "forever". Glad to hear you and Plum Cottage are OK.

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm so glad you didn't get damage from the storm, Lorraine. Those heart-shaped cut outs your husband made on the shutters are very special. Your glass bottles on your window sill are pretty, and the blue ones caught my eye the most. No storms here in the mountains of northern California, but it is very cold, in the 20's and 30's, and the snow is coming soon.

Happy Thanksgiving, Lorraine. I'm thankful for your wonderful and very special blog posts.

~Sheri

Mrs. White said...

It is so good to hear you are doing okay. God bless you!
Have a wonderful day!

Cheryl said...

Thank the Lord for His mercies on you in the storm! I remember how hard it all is from when we lived in FL. I'm glad to hear you didn't have any damage. God bless you this Christmas season.

BeachGypsy said...

havent hear from you in awhile....hoping for a new post soon! Hope all is well, just stopped in to see how you are doing my friend. Take care!

Lynn and Precious said...

Hoping you had a lovely Christmas. And will have a Happy New Year. Lynn and Precious

Mother Em said...

God bless you in this last day of 2022 and have a most Happy and Healthy New Year.