Thursday, June 2, 2022

Turtling, Contentment, Gratitude

Hello Folks ~ Here we are into June already. Time is zipping along so fast!!

What on earth is 'turtling' you might ask? I hadn't heard the word until I read it on my friend Gretchen's blog, 'Gladsome Lights'. When I read the thought on this, it was encouraging for me to keep plugging away at my own pace. "Turtling ~ The practice of moving forward, no matter how slowly, when one is feeling overwhelmed by decisions and tasks. We must keep turtling." Do any of you feel this way?

Clearing the property has definitely been a 'turtling' experience. The 'stuff' didn't accumulate over night, it happened over years. This past year has certainly seen some changes here, changes for the better. More are yet to come, as my motivation and energy allow. My mind thinks I can still do things, but alas, my body says differently.  

Below is a work in progress. My friends Wendy and Mike were just here last week and he weedwacked this area. I've got cut limbs from the rattle tree, and different bits and pieces of 'stuff' to still clear out. The blue tarp is to kill grass/weeds.

 I threw cement blocks, wood, whatever, to place temporarily in front of plants so that the weed wacker would not wack them down. ;-) Vanda orchids that grow like weeds I stuck along the fence rails. They bloom several times during the year.


 

Here is a little video I did a week or so back.

 

Now that summer is almost here I must get out early, between 7-8 to get a good start on whatever project or work that needs doing, before the heat and humidity are unbearable.

The sketch below is an idea I got after watching some garden you tube videos. I had two 4x4x8' posts and some decorative iron. My friends Sean and Stan were here to trim front hedge and whatever else I might need to have done. I told them my idea. We realized after the posts were in the ground that for my idea to work the way I envisioned, I would need 10 foot posts. So, we just left these 8 footers until I could get the right size. They have gone down in price by $5 since they were here so that's a good thing. My friend Wendy will be picking them up for me as they won't quite fit in my little van. I was going to make a little wood fence using fence slats that I have in my stash, but I've changed my mind on that idea. 

I do look forward to this coming together and having the garden space come to life with flowers and butterflies, instead of 'stuff'. My dear hubby told me before God called him home, to get rid of the junk, as he knew I didn't like it. Well, I let go of some stuff, have regrets about letting some of it go, but... I did keep decorative wrought iron pieces.  I think the space between posts is about 6', without going out into the heat to check for sure.


 Now for some of the beauty that I enjoy here. 'Flying Flowers' are always a delight. The zebra longwing is our state butterfly.

Double Delight rose.


I brought a couple of the blooms inside to enjoy. Excuse my windows, they do need cleaning, but they also are double paned and have lost their seal which makes it cloudy. Window replacement is not an expense I can afford.

My friends Nanci and John, who I've known for over 20 years, through my working next door to their antique shop for 17 years, took me to lunch a couple of weeks back. John got out of their truck and said we have something for you. I gasped in delight when I saw it. They no longer wanted it and thought of me.  It's a beautiful, old cement planter.

Here Nanci and I are enjoying our lunch of fish n chips, coleslaw, and hushpuppies. I had an Arnold Palmer to drink. The background is so Florida looking, palm trees, big blue sky. It was nice and breezy so we decided to eat outside. This place is known for it's fish n chips. We always enjoy going there.


Here I am holding one month old Ellie. She is a beautiful baby!! My first time holding a little one this small in many, many years. Pure delight!!
 
A hydrangea given to me by a friend just before covid. This is the first year it has bloomed for me and I love it. I need to repot it.

 
I loved the way the sunlight was hitting this shell windchime.

 
Sweet patooties, who were born on the property. I'm checking into a spay and release program that's free I think, to get the mother fixed and then the black one here. The tabby is a male. I do feed them a little in the mornings, I just couldn't help myself. Sheesh! The mother has had two more and I don't feed her or them. They are surviving. The tabby lets me pet him a little bit.

 
This is 'Tiffany', a lovely scented rose. 'Double Delight' smells wonderful also.

 
Here's my 16 years young Miss Tork purring on one her favorite spots, my chest. We bond for awhile, then she moves on.

I am learning contentment, and I am thankful for my life. I really have much to be thankful for.


I will close with a quote from John Piper, from a devotional from Desiring God, and some encouraging scripture from the Bible. May God bless you with His peace.
 
~~~
 
"The joy God gives us is not a fragile joy,
ready to vanish in painful circumstances. 
It is strong enough to sustain fragile people through them." 
John Piper 

 ~~~
 
God has been my source of strength and joy for many years, but especially these last 9 1/2 years since He called my dear hubby home. I do have times where I get down, and call out to Him to lift me up and He does.
 
Jesus is always near, closer than we think. We need to just talk to him, trust him, have faith and patience that all things will work out. It doesn't mean we won't have trials, we will, but He is with us, and will sustain us.
 
~~~
 
Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you 
Ps.55:22

Even to your old age and gray hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Isaiah 46:4
 
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

1 Peter 5:7 
 
Thanks for visiting.
 
Love, hugs and prayers, 
FlowerLady


21 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Lorraine! It is always good to see what is going on with you. I love both of your videos. It was fun to hear your voice as you explained your projects. It seems like you have made a lot of progress in your yard. I love your plans for the decorative iron pieces. Thanks for sharing all the good things in your life! I love your gratitude to God for his many blessings. I hope we will see you again soon!

Lynn and Precious said...

Lorraine, your garden is a butterfly haven. I hear the traffic and it is so close to you and your butterflies! You have made remarkable progress in the past year or so and it really shows. This new garden will be a wonderful project but I can see the hard work of just digging spots to plant. I just transplanted some Siberian iris I threw out on the brush pile last Sept and them are alive and growing with out dirt. So I dug 3 holes in my very wet dirt and planted them today. I figure they deserve that much after the winter. And Miss Tork is lovely for 16, wow. You do good trying to care for the feral kitties, it is work and concern and expense. Don't over exert with the real heat coming in your way. Lynn and Precious

Barbara H. said...

SO happy to see this post. You've made so much progress though I know it has been a long hard slog. Glad you are able to keep plugging away at it and that you have wonderful people to help.

Vee said...

So much to comment upon. ☺️ I'm going to arbitrarily limit myself to three beginning with "turtling." In my case, it might better be "slugging." Yes, life has come to this. I have to give myself a pep talk to do the dishes! Ha!

Oh that cement planter is so you! What a sweet gift. Do show us what you do with it.

Your roses are exquisite. Mine are having trouble getting going this year.

ellen b. said...

I was wondering what turtling was and glad you gave the definition. Things are shaping up nicely in your yard. It's such hard work to try to tame a space. Glad you can get some help. There are so many things that my body is informing me I have outgrown. :) Love the cement planter. I can imagine how heavy it is...
Those roses are beautiful and I'm glad they have a nice scent, too. Have a wonderful weekend and always keep looking up to our God who is the source of all good things.

vic said...

Wow, you have gotten a lot done there. I can understand that with the accumulation that you had to start with getting things cleared out has taken a lot of time and effort. It is going to be a really nice gardening space for you and worth all the doing.

Andrea said...

Your gardens are really shaping up and look so neat. The roses are beautiful and the bouquet you brought inside is lovely. I need to clean my windows too...I keep putting that off. Andrea

M.K. said...

Hello, dear Flower Lady!
Enjoyed the videos VERY much. Your back garden plan is great, and the clearing you've done looks wonderful. Can't wait to see more! It's so very hard to clear out junk, esp. junk that is hard to get rid of, hard to haul away. We have a good bit of that too. And you can't do improvements until you haul it away! It's slow work, and I so much appreciate that idea of "turtling." I did very much slow turtling a few years back -- barely breathing, it felt like. Better now. But those are very difficult times.

Betty said...

So very good to see your post and beautiful flowers. I wondered how tork took to other kitties. You have indeed created a small paradise your hard work is apparent. God bless and enjoy.

Cheryl said...

"Turtling" is a new term to me . . . and I like it! Sometimes that's the only way to get things done, and all progress is progress. I think I'll add this word to my vocabulary!

Your knowledge of flowers and your care of them never ceases to amaze this girl with a black thumb!

How fun to hold a sweet new baby! (Now that is something that know about!)

I appreciated the quote from John Piper, as well as the verses from the Book of Books!

Melanie said...

Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you with your property. I'm so glad you have friends to help you out. That would be very hard to clear all that out on your own.

We have a couple of stray/feral kitties that have shown up around our property recently. There are kittens, too - I think three or four of them. But I've only seen them once. I've been putting food out every morning for the two older ferals. One - a tortoiseshell - has been showing up every day. The other, a white cat, I only see a few times a week. Both are terrified of me. A friend of mine who volunteers with the local humane society, gave me a humane trap. I am going to try and trap the tortoiseshell one day this week. Then my friend will foster while we try and find a shelter that will take her.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Your new garden area is really nice and so good of your friends to help you out. The cement planter is a lovely gift and I do like your arbor design. All the roses are gorgeous, too. I've taken in so many feral kitties over the years. Poor little things. So good of you to look out for them. Cats are so full of love. Your window with the blue jars and stained glass is so pretty. Hope you have a lovely weekend. xo K

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What an enjoyable visit, thank you! I enjoyed seeing your works in progress and I do like the term 'turtling' - it's a good descriptor. Loved the John Piper quote you shared and those comforting words from the Bible. Wishing you a beautiful week ahead. Brenda xo

Anne Payne said...

Y'all have really been working hard! Your garden looks lovely!!!

Rebecca said...

I sure enjoyed those videos! It's good to hear your voice. Those are ambitious projects. You have such creative ideas and I look forward to seeing them take shape. ❤️

Anonymous said...

Hello Lorraine
I'm just trying to catch up with everone again. I'm so glad to see you still sharing your beautiful garden with us all.

CraveCute said...

Your garden and flowers are so beautiful! And love that old planter is wonderful!

Terra said...

Rainey I loved watching your video and hearing your voice, in the garden tour you gave us. That is a handsome old cement planter, and a pretty place for you to have lunch with friends in the open air. In my prayer group at church on Sunday I asked God to give us all splashes of joy, as you mentioned, joy is part of being a Christian.

Cheryl said...

Lorraine, your roses are just beautiful! I had never heard of the term "turtling," but come to think of it, that is pretty much what I do! Slow and steady wins the race, and if we can see that we are making progress, I guess that is what matters. May the Lord bless you and give you strength to accomplish all you are wanting to.

Sallysmom said...

Hope all is well with you & that you will feel like posting soon.