Thursday, April 14, 2022

Greetings from Plum Cottage

Hello Friends, Sorry I've been away for so long. The longest I've probably ever not posted. My heart just hasn't been into it. I want to thank those who have reached out to me and sorry to have worried you. About a couple of months ago I did come down with a sore throat, then dry, hacking coughing, that lasted a couple of weeks. I hibernated for about 4 weeks.

 My 73rd birthday happened on the first day of spring. How can that be? In my head I don't feel that number. ;-) My body says otherwise.

I was given a money gift by friends and they wanted me to get something special, like flowers or whatever. Well, since I am FlowerLady, guess what I bought. Two roses, Tiffany and Double Delight. Both are heavily scented, Tiffany more so. Absolutely Wonderful!! I also got a glass flamingo solar light.

I left HD with a smile on my face and the little van was filled with heavenly fragrance. I then headed west to a nursery I've been to several times and love the diversity of plants. They are going out of business, retiring, so everything was on sale. A lot had been sold since the last time I was there. I did buy six plants at a great deal and left there happy also. I got two variegated confederate jasmine vines, a purple porterweed, Bush clockvine, a bush daisy, and a lovely mandevilla vine. (These two friends, a married couple, have helped me with clearing the property of stuff, after Juvenal hauled away all of the metal.) Property is looking better and pretty soon I'll just have maintenance, not a burden. ;-)

'Tiffany' Rose

'Double Delight' rose

This is how it looked when it first opened, which made me think this wasn't the rose on the tag.

 

This is same rose the next morning and looked like the rose on tag. Amazing!!

 

Solar glass flamingo

 

I am going to try to get back into blogging. I have missed it, I have missed visiting a lot of  you and I'm sorry to have lost touch. 

 I work a couple of hours each morning outside when I feel like it or don't have other plans. I'm moving potted plants around, planting some in the area that is almost cleared. Still have cut limbs and stuff to move out. It is amazing what has been done around here in a little over a year.

Below are some before and after pics of one area.

January 2021

February 2021 - neighbor asked if he could have someone cut down the 'rattle tree', as it was a nuisance to both of us. The 'rattling' of seed pods and droppage of pods several times a year. I of course said yes. He had already bought most of the fencing for his side of my property and my friends put up the fencing. The tree trimmer knew Juvenal who picked up scrap metal and the rest is history.

There's still more to be gotten rid of, limbs, junk. It took years to get here and it has taken years to get it this far, this last year being really productive, thanks to so many helping hands. I want to make this place a tropical sanctuary, for myself and those who visit.


This is after my friends were here in early March this year. He cut the rattle tree and a smaller relative to the ground and weed wacked. I have the blue tarp down to kill weeds. ;-)

 


I'm still crocheting 'comfort' lap blankets. I love this pattern. The full size is much larger than this. I had some yarn colors in my stash but had to buy some.


 


I want to get back into doing embroidery with threads, beads and ribbon. 

 


Gardening is a chore and a joy. Spring is a wonderful time of year. I found the sign, broken, in my laundry shed when I cleared it out some so that a new washing machine belt could be put on my 20 year old Maytag washer. I rigged the sign back together and it makes me smile.


I've had times of being overwhelmed and depressed, but Jesus has brought me through those times. Friends have reached out, prayers have been said, love has been given and I am thankful more than words can say.

The last couple of years have been rough for the whole world, some more than others and now this horrible devastation in Ukraine. Let us keep praying for each other and the whole world. God is working even when it feels like He isn't. Evil will not win.

I've become more of a 'chair potato' watching you tube videos, more than I want to. I watch gardening, homesteading families, different crafts, natural ways of healing, cooking/baking, nature documentaries, and movies. I've been reading a lot of spiritually uplifting books, my library is full to overflowing. I read, and re-read. I want to get back to the public library. They did a major remodeling while the world was shut down and have recently reopened.  I need some good fiction.

 I live on a small ss check. My little cottage is paid for, it is old, 1951- quirky, my little haven. My car is paid for also. I have a little $ in savings in case of emergency. My goal is to live contentedly, not envious of others, pray for things to work out, and to be thankful always in all circumstances. 

The privacy/stockade fencing is barely standing along the driveway and across the back of property, 20-30 years old. It is something I'm praying about. Fencing has just about doubled in price. Prices are going up on everything. I am thankful for this place and all that God has blessed me with.

When going through buckets of stuff under the barn's awning, I found one with broken stained glass pieces in it. I threw out most of it, except for three pieces.

This one below is painted, not really stained glass. What a find!!! I have it leaning against two pieces of petrified wood, and the flowers are Tahitian Gardenias. Huge and wonderfully scented.

The two aqua stained glass are the other pieces. Excuse my dirty windows, they do need cleaning, but they also have fogged up because of losing the qir or whatever between the double panes of glass.


Ok, this has been a long post. I will close with the following photo of a little gift I made for the ladies of my Bible study group. The words are Bible verses. So good for any of us to think on.

 

Have a lovely Easter/Resurrection weekend. Remembering the reason we celebrate.

God came down to earth. He took on flesh. His name was Jesus. He gave His life for us so that we'd be set FREE from death and destruction. We are all sinners, and His death and resurrection gives us life now and forever, when we truly believe in Him and what He has done. He said,

"I am the resurrection and the life. 

He who believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live."

John 11:25

May God bless and keep you all.

Love, hugs and prayers,

FlowerLady 

24 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

With that medication for your eyes being so expensive, there may be a manufacturer's discount for the drops. If you can find out the name of the manufacturer name and contact them and inquire if they have any special programs that you can purchase the medicine at a lower price. Most of them have the rule that you meet certain financial requirements and you do not have Medicare coverage for prescriptions.

I have two medications that I have to do this with from two different companies. It is a huge savings and there is no way I could use those medications without the companies' help. I do have privateinsurance and the company works with my private insurance, but if I had Medicare coverage for prescriptions, I wold not qualify for the manufacturer's discount.

Be careful of your eyes. Glaucoma can be very serious. I went through a repair of my eye late last year due to a macular hole in my eye. I had to get surgery, stay in face down position for one week, and pray that the surgery was successful, or I would have lost all of my central vision for close up work.

Take care. I love your roses and new flowers. Your yard is really looking good. How nice that you have someone who can help you with
it. It was sure a nice surprise seeing your blog here today. Have a beautiful Easter.

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is so good to hear from you. Belated Happy Birthday. I will join you in that 73 age group, come June. I am happy that you are getting help with some of the outside work. Easter Blessings to you.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Lorraine. I am so happy to hear from you again! I had been wondering about you, but I am not even sure I have your email address any more. I am just happy you are back in blogland. You have been busy and are making good progress on clearing your property. The new flowers you bought are beautiful, and I love those crocheted lap blankets. You are so talented. Happy Easter to you. I look forward to seeing you in blogland again soon!

vic said...

So nice to see you posting again. Spring is here, I think so I know you will be enjoying working (playing) our in your garden.

crafty cat corner said...

So good to hear from you again. One always wonders if a blogger has passed when they don't blog for a long time, after all we are mostly around the same age. Glad you are still here.
I know how you feel as we both feel the same. I do my crochet as it takes my mind away from the situation here with Tom but I can't seem to get my heart into anything else at the minute.
I guess it's just an age thing and not having the energy that we used to have.
Hugs
Briony
x

Lynn and Precious said...

Happy Easter,Lorraine. So glad to see you post for this blessed weekend. I can really see and appreciate the clean up where the rattle tree was. What a remarkable difference to your secret garden and plum cottage. New plants are a boost to your soul and morale. How lovely a gift, that you got to pick and chose them with gift from your friends. I do hope Spring is kind to you and I see the crochet blankets are beautiful. I'll be looking forward to more posts from you, soon I hope. Lynn and Precious

Vee said...

Wonderful to find you here remaining busy and getting things accomplished with a little help from your friends. Your yard is looking so nice. (I think a rattling tree would drive me bonkers.) Not at all surprised to read how you spent your gift money. 😁 That rose was really quite amazing! A blessed Easter weekend to you.

Morning's Minion said...

I always enjoy your accounts of progress in the garden and the lovely crafts you make and share. I'm finding [at 78] that my garden is a mixed blessing--the joy of the plants but the frustration of declining energy/stamina to take care of it as it should be done.
Striving to find joy and peace within our own circumstances and with the terrible unrest in the larger world seems to be a task undertaken afresh every day.

Red Rose Alley said...

Lorraine, so good to see a post from you. I got tears in my eyes when I read the verse you gave the ladies of your Bible study. They are very special words, along with the white doily and red rose. I'm glad you are doing Ok, and I've thought about you from time to time. Embroidery is such a talent and it would be nice to get back to doing that sometime. I've never seen embroidery with beads, this is so pretty. I hope something works out for you with the fencing. Always a pleasure to see your little cottage and the happenings in your life, Lorraine.

~Sheri

Ruth said...

God bless you dear Flower Lady! Your gift in the last photo reminded me of this hymn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkMBScHV0Hc
God be with you!!

Terry said...

Hi Lorraine! Happy Belated Birthday! Your new roses and flamingo are beautiful! Spring-time sure does bring lots of yard work. I wish I enjoyed it as much as you do. Lol. Your blankets are gorgeous! I too have been watching lots of youtube videos. It was a very cold winter in NJ. I hope you have a nice Easter.
Terry

Henny Penny said...

Hey Lorraine! So good to see you again...and your beautiful flowers. I love the two new roses. The one that changed overnight is amazing. Gosh, everything grows so good for you! Those blankets you make are just beautiful! You are so talented! Have a nice Easter.

M.K. said...

Dear Flower Lady, it's good to see you back here again! I enjoyed the update. The transformation on your property is stunning ! What a good, clear view, and how nice it must feel to have that cleared out. The stained glass pieces, and your beautiful crocheted blankets, are so lovely. I hope you are feeling better. No fretting, no worrying :) Much love to you! Drop in on my youtube channel, if you like. Nothing very exciting there, just a lifestyle vlog about this and that. Blessings, and much love -- M.K.

Melanie said...

It was so good to see a blog post from you again, Rainey! You have been missed. I love seeing all the flowers on your property, especially when it's still cold here in IL and the trees are still bare and no flowers except daffodils to be seen.

The stained glass pieces you found are so pretty and I adore your lap blankets - especially the purple one!

Happy Easter. God bless you.

Love,
Melanie

Cheryl said...

Bless your heart, I am so sorry to hear of your sickness and trials. May Jesus hold you close and heal you and comfort you. I LOVE your afghans! My, they are just so beautiful! You do excellent work! It was really nice to visit with you tonight and read your post. Yes, these past two years have been so odd, and it feels like the whole world is turned upside down. I don't know what we would do if we didn't have Jesus to turn to in these trying times.

Terra said...

I am so happy happy happy to read your post today, and it is on Easter Sunday. You are back! You probably got a card or two from me, as I was concerned. Your garden is looking tip top with the help you are getting. That Tahitian gardenia is lovely, I have decided to plant a gardenia even though they have not thrived for me. We Christians live in hope.

Cheryl said...

So happy to hear from you! I am sorry that you have not been well, but glad that you're improving now. Your place is looking great! What a blessing to have had help coming . . . little by little, much can be accomplished!

Happy (belated) birthday to you! Of course, you purchased flowers with your birthday money! :)

ellen b. said...

Good to see a post from you and your before and after shots. Our granddaughter turned 5 on your birthday. Praying God continues to take care of your needs and He sends encouragement your way.

Dawn said...

Nice post. Everything has been so hard the last two years. Glad to see you are up posting about your passion. X

Rebecca said...

I'm so happy you're back! What great strides have been made in your yard.

And how beautiful your tiny house was at Christmastime.

Life with my 95+ year old father keeps me occupied along with books. I've been more active on Facebook than blogs...

Now that spring had come, I hope to be busy in the out of doors. Well, as busy as I can be at 73! 🥴

Dawn said...

Beautiful roses and photos. Thank you for sharing your garden to inspire us.

Unknown said...

Welcome back to the blog world--I've missed your posts so it's a delight to see you sharing the wonder of God's care of you & blessing us with those great pics! Every now & then, I get a yearning for encouragement and so tonight I checked out your "Treasure Garden of Thoughts, Quotes, & Words" What a joy to have found it! Hope you can re-new that wonderful blog--it brought sweet insights in these dark days of discouragement. May you be blessed with those special blessings you've brought to so many of us. I'm looking forward to lots more garden pictures, too--something tells me that lots of changes have been brought into your "green mansion" thanks to so many kind friends! The Lord is good!!
Bobbie

GretchenJoanna said...

Maintenance, not a burden -- that is exactly what I am aiming for, too! And I have the same experience as you in being blessed by friends to lift the burden that I currently have. Thank God for His blessings. He certainly gives us plenty to do (and pray over) every day, doesn't He? ;-)

Love,
Gretchen Joanna

BeachGypsy said...

Are you doing OK. LOrraine???--- missing you!!!