Sunday, November 22, 2020

Hello Friends ~ Here we are at the start of Thanksgiving week here in the U.S. May we be able to see past the negatives and see all that we have to be thankful for. 

This morning I read a thought-provoking post by Ann of  'Ann's Snap, Edit, Scrap' blog. So many times I have found myself thinking of the negatives instead of counting my blessings, especially this year with the world-wide pandemic situation. We have been wishing from the beginning that it would all be over soon, but here we are 8 months later, still dealing with the pandemic and all of the hurts, anxieties, frustrations, job losses, relationship problems, illnesses and deaths that this has caused. 

I think of my whining, mostly done in my head, my petty complaints, compared to what so many are dealing with and am ashamed. My heart aches from reading about and seeing what others are going through. The only thing I can do at this time is pray for the whole world. For healing, for peace, for restoration, for love, and for forgiveness.

Many of us are seeking ways to find joy once again in our lives. We are finding it in simple things, in the ordinariness of our every day lives. We are alive,  and there are things to be thankful for. There is still beauty in the world to enjoy. God is the giver of all good gifts and it is to him we owe our thanks.

I am re-reading Ann Voskamp's book '1,000 Gifts'. I bought this book the month after my dear husband left this planet to be with God. Right now I'm doing a short Bible study of this with Ann on Faith Gateway online Bible studies. I am being encouraged and blessed to keep growing in my thankfulness to God, in all situations. Ann has a beautiful way with words. I am made to stop and think about life, my life and relationship with God, more deeply. I've started a journal to list my 1,000 gifts and it is making me look around to see just how many gifts I am blessed with. Things I can take for granted.

Right now I want to say thank you to all who have visited here, for comments, gifts, emails, etc. since 2008 when I first started this blog. You have loved, encouraged, inspired and prayed for me. Those are precious gifts that money can't buy. You comforted me after the loss of my husband  and still do that even now.

I am thankful to God for his beautiful creation, for the flowers, etc. that I am able to grow in my tropical, cottage garden spaces. Below are recent photos of some of what is in bloom right now.

Bleeding hearts

 
'Carnation' Roses

 
Hamelia paten and plumbago

 
 Plumbago
 



 
 
 Thunbergia
 
 
Wild Petunia

 
Yesterday, today and tomorrow
 


 
I will close with another photo of  'Miss Tork'. We have been dealing with 'fleas'. I must have brought one or two in with me from outside, as she is an indoor cat. We are making forward progress and that's a GREAT thing.

 
Here in the U.S., I pray that you all will make your Thanksgiving holiday a happy and thankful one, whether you are alone or with others. I bought a small young turkey breast, and have all of the fixings to make my dinner. I am looking forward to it and the left-overs also. (That's my plan).
 
Love, hugs and prayers for all,
FlowerLady 

 

 


20 comments:

Nancy J said...

Monday morning here, a cold start for both of our daughters, one had about 1 Celsius, the other had their fire lit at the weekend. As always, your words and flowers inspire me, also, to be more thankful.We do not celebrate Thanksgiving down here, but I think of you all up North, and hope with all my heart that you stay safe, and each day brings joy and peace. Much love, dear blog friend, as our hands reach out to each-other across the oceans.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I agree, we have so very much to be thankful for, yet i find myself too often whining about little things. God forgive me. I hope your week will be wonderful and filled with blessings.

Ann said...

I think a lot of people are now learning to be more appreciative of the little things in life. If the pandemic gave us nothing else it made us realize we should take joy in the simple everyday pleasures.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving

ellen b. said...

It's not good to murmur but very good to give thanks in all things! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Susie said...

You' re not the only one worried or complaining of that pandemic...it's making some us nuts. I feel stressed a lot. I pray for the world, for the children to be able to get back to a normal world of school and friends. I enjoyed seeing all the beautiful flowers. Hope you can get rid of the fleas. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Terra said...

Thanks for your reminder to be thankful for all our blessings. Maybe I will read the 1,000 Gifts book again, good idea. Your vibrant photos are always a blessing for me to see. Happy Thanksgiving.

Kit said...

I have found during covid, that there is a lot that was good. So much time to be home. My favorite place. Watching my children take care of one another. Being even closer to my husband. I hope you have a lovely holiday. Love, KK

Thelma said...

Happy Thanksgiving Lorraine. Your flowers are beautiful.
We are starting to get snow up here in Canada.
We have to stay home and wear a mask when going out.
Christmas will be different with no family allowed to visit.
We have to be thankful for what we have.
Take care. Thelma.

BeachGypsy said...

Always peaceful and refreshing to come here to your pretty blog. Always enjoy my visit, and nearly ALWAYS learn the name of a new flower. Love seeing what you have blooming, those are pretty. Like you, I am so very thankful for all my blessings, a cozy home, a wonderful husband, kids and grandkids, our loving pets and most of all, Jesus. We are also having turkey breast, and all the fixings, and yes, we always have left overs and we enjoy them so much.

Lynn and Precious said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Miss Tork, and be rid of fleas! We do have
our lives to be thankful for as each one I see comment here is still with
us, happy or unhappy about our current circumstances. It is difficult times
but I was just reminded to "be thankful in everything everyday". So I am
trying. Sometimes trying is the best we can do. Stay well and I do pray
all this is behind us in early 2021. Lynn

Cheryl said...

I suppose it is the most "natural" thing to complain, but gratitude turns our hearts from ourselves and to The Giver! I need to remind myself of that truth often.

We had a round with fleas recently. Ugh. Thankfully, we seem to be on the other side of it now!

Happy Thanksgiving! (I think the Thanksgiving leftovers are just as good as the original meal.)

Hootin Anni said...

Simple pleasures, a home, food on the table, loving family & friends, sunshine & fresh air (beautiful flora & fauna)...so many things we take for granted & not give them a second thought...but with the world crisis, we've quickly learned to accept God's will in a whole new perspective. Your post is filled with thankfulness, & I appreciate finding you on the WWW.

NanaDiana said...

You know, you give so much back, Lorraine, with our sweet words but also with your wonderful gardens and pictures of your flowers and plants. I am always blessed coming here. I have a quite ill hubby but I am thankful fo any bit of joy I can find in a day. xo Diana

gretchenjoanna said...

God bless you, Dear Lorraine! Thank you for sharing all the gifts you discover every day <3

Deborah Montgomery said...

Your flowers are lovely as always, and I loved the cozy pic of your kitty and all your books. It's good to remind ourselves of all our blessings, there are still so many.

Red Rose Alley said...

The yesterday, today, and tomorrow flower is so pretty. Such a lovely color. Your words of thankfulness are so special, especially during this Thanksgiving week. Yes, so much to be thankful for. It's always delightful to see bits of your home, Lorraine. I see you have many books.

Happy Thanksgiving to you. Enjoy that turkey dinner. Leftovers are the best. : )

~Sheri

M.K. said...

Amen, dear friend. It's good to focus on the simple and small this year, and to be prayerful and thankful. We also have dealt with fleas this fall on our dogs, and we usually don't have that issue. It's 2020!!

Melanie said...

Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner. It sure was different this year for all of us, wasn't it? It was just me and my hubby this year at home. We found a stuffed turkey tenderloin at Trader Joe's and made that, plus I made several side dishes and vegetables. Leftovers are the best part!

crafty cat corner said...

Thankyou for your comment on Tom's new toy, lol.
So far this year I haven't noticed any fleas and that's strange as we normally have to do them once a year. Fleas love me so I always know if they have any.
Briony
x

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Lorraine, this was a wonderful post. I have been thinking about how I have endured these past months and think I have done a lot of whining also and will try to do better. Your roses are simply gorgeous as all you flowers always are and you get the most gorgeous photographs. I love the snow falling on your blog also, hope we get some of the real stuff this year. I especially love the picture of your kitty in the library. It seems like there is an actual work of art that I have seen many times that looks just like yours. It is really a great picture..Stay well my friend..xxoJudy