Thursday, January 16, 2020

New flower treats

Hello Folks ~ It is 5:30 p.m. EST, supper is heating in my little convection oven, the weather was perfect today and the reason why 'snowbirds' come down here every year. 

I've noticed new growth on roses that I thought had 'bit the dust'. How I love surprises like that! This is the time of year when the gardens are happy. Not too hot or humid, just right for plant life, humans and other critters as well. 

This morning I paid a bill, went to the bank, and since it was so nice out I decided to stop at my two favorite nurseries that have GREAT prices. I've not bought any plants in a while and I had a little extra $. At the first nursery, I got two rose bushes and a hanging basket of double impatiens.  I had dbl impatiens many, many years ago and loved them because they look like roses. They are also very easy to propagate from cuttings.








At the next nursery, my eyes were drawn to two gorgeous flowering plants. Mona Lavender and Tacoma Stans - Esperanza. The bees were all over this plant. Both of these flower colors were show stoppers for me, they just popped out of all of the other plants.  Both do very well here in the sub-tropics.





 


At this nursery I also spied some wonderful rocks for covering with crochet. I made these last year from a bag of river rock from Home Depot.



The rocks I bought today are all in the dark/blackish range, perfect. I can hardly wait to start making these. The sizes are 2" to 3", just right and there are LOTS of them. This is about 1/4 of the amount.





Above are the rest of the rocks. I'm excited about this project. Jesus is my rock, He is The Rock for all of us.

That's it, supper is ready. A post will be coming up about the wax covered amaryllis bulb. 

Later ~ FlowerLady


16 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful plants. I have always loved flowers of all kinds.

Junkchiccottage said...

What a fun day and I am glad you found some pretty flowers. Love those rocks with the crochet. So cute.
Have a great Friday and wonderful weekend.
Hugs,
Kris

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you were able to get some new flowers and plants. I love the crocheted rock covers. Have a great week.

Ann said...

It sounds like a perfect day. All your new flower purchases are beautiful. That last one with the orange color is spectacular.
Those rocks will keep you busy crocheting

Cheryl said...

Warm, pleasant, no humidity . . . yes, that does sound like happy weather for plants and for people! I love your beautiful additions to your garden . . . great finds! Happy crocheting!

Lynn and Precious said...

The picture of the 4 potted plants looks lovely and adds a cozy view.
I crochet but I would never have been imaginative enough to think of
making the crosses on the rocks. Your previous ones are so well done.
It will keep your fingers busy with the new ones. Just wanted to add
that I bought a convection oven because you had posted about getting
yours. I do love using it.

Nancy J said...

The rocks, beautiful, those colours are soft and gentle in the greys, and "deep and thoughtful" in the blacks, as a friends used to say to me ages ago. That new mauve plant, stunningly lovely.

Denimflyz said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful cottage gardens. They make me smile and hope for Spring here. It's very cold and icy on the roads today.
Sending warm thoughts your way. I will try to start blogging soon.
Denim

Anne Payne said...

They're all so pretty but I really love the one Rose that has kind of curly petals.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, you had a nice time at the nursery. Those crocheted rocks are lovely. Have fun planting the rose bushes. They are my favorite flower of all. So sturdy and survive in the harshest weather.

~Sheri

ellen b. said...

Beautiful flowers. Those crocheted rocks really stand out. I'm glad you had a nice outing with lovely things to bring home. Happy weekend to you!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I love all of your new plant pretties, Lorraine! Glad that you are having some nice weather to get outside and enjoy the sunshine. What pretty crocheted rocks - the dark color will be very nice to show off the stitches. We have had a sudden rise in temps and I was actually able to get outside to do some garden clean-up the last two days. Not exactly balmy.....about 50 degrees, but much nicer than snow in the 20's! Enjoy that gorgeous weather and happy planting and crocheting! Hugs xo Karen

Leslie Kimel said...

I love the double impatiens--they really do look like roses. The crochet-wrapped rocks are really neat too, such a cool idea!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

How pretty your crocheted rocks are! As always you lovely flowers blossoms are just wonderful!

Unknown said...

New flowers are always so exciting to us gardeners!! Will the impatiens stick around all year for you? They are annuals here, can't even take a light frost. I snipped some stems prior to the first frost in the fall, and rooted them on my kitchen windowsill....I'll pot them up for spring and have 'free' impatiens, yayyyy!!

M.K. said...

Ooo - the rocks are beautiful! I love that dark color, and it will contrast so well with the crochet on top. Your plants are just lovely, as ever. Good choices! The photos of your roses always makes me feel peaceful.