Saturday, December 21, 2019

Thank you and another little tree

Good Saturday morning Friends ~ Thank you all for your kind comments. I try to visit those who have blogs, or respond via email, but some of you I'm not able to connect with. If any would like to email me, you can find my email addy in my profile. 

SilveryLady Anne ~ your comment really touched my heart. I am so sorry for your loss and I'm glad my post was able to give you a little comfort.  I have days where my heart aches from not having my dear husband with me. Sometimes it's all I can do to get motivated for the day. Jesus has promised to be with us always, and He is my strength when I am weak. Knowing my dear husband is with Jesus fills my heart with peace and joy.

My husband thought of the name 'FlowerLady' as my online name way back when we first got online, around 20 years ago, because of my love for flowers. I like reading that your dear husband called you 'PlantLady'.  

I am planning to post more in my other blog 'The Continuing Journey.' I've been lax in posting there and feel the need/desire to start posting there again. 

*********

Now, here is a tiny tree, about 2 ft. tall that I have in my little computer/crafting space. I like how it has turned out and next year, God willing, I hope to add more to it.

 



Here is a red rose I picked, not sure what the name is, lost the tag. The smell is wonderful and the bloom like red velvet.



 Shown here is an amaryllis bulb from a friend. I've never seen one like this and had to Google it and it is supposed to have everything it needs to bloom right in it's wax covered bulb. It has grown about 1/2 inch since I got it.



Here we have just 4 more days til Christmas. This year has zipped along FAST. This Christmas, I am planning a quiet day here by myself, with Jesus. Dear Husband and I always enjoyed quiet Christmases. I've had very busy ones since he left this planet, and this year the need to 'be still' and 'quiet' has filled my heart. I've had two invites and I'm thankful for the thoughtfulness in asking me to join in their festivities. 

I've got 10 new books in a basket under the table that the tree is sitting on, for me to look through and enjoy Christmas morning. Eight of the books I bought new on sale total of $19.43, plus shipping, from Christian Book.com The other two books I bought from Amazon, not on sale. I will do a post showing and telling about all of them later.


 For Christmas dinner I plan to fix chicken breast with stuffing in the crockpot, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, homemade cranberry sauce with a tad of horseradish sauce added for zip, and for dessert, I don't know. I was going to fix a turkey breast of turkey tenderloin but remembered the chicken breasts in the freezer, which is saving me from spending extra $. Thanksgiving I had my widowed friend Rita over and we had a nice quiet time together. I fixed ham since she's not a turkey lover with the fixings and a homemade pumpkin tiramisu. We were both stuffed. We both wanted to have quiet Christmases this year so we are. Our plan is, going out for lunch/dinner Christmas Eve then to the candlelight Christmas Eve service together.

The following link is to John Piper's website, Desiring God. Advent day 21, The Birth of the Ancient of Days. As we draw closer to Christmas let us ponder all that God has done, what He is doing now and what is yet to come in the future. He is the Giver of all Gifts, especially the Gift of Love, His Love for each and every one of us.

Have a love and peace filled Christmas ~ FlowerLady

27 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love your little Christmas tree. Looks like those books in your basket are all good ones. You will enjoy them. Have a good Christmas week and may God be with you.

NanaDiana said...

God bless you, Lorraine. I sure understand that need to be 'quiet'. We all need that from time to time. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. xo Diana

Nancy J said...

I am so enjoying your decorations, and your garden blooms, The amaryllis, it will bloom gloriously, I have had one flower already, and the other is languishing in the garden, Have a joyous day, quiet and peaceful, and those books look so inviting.

My Grama's Soul said...

Merry Christmas Lorraine......sometimes a "quiet" Christmas is exactly what the doctor ordered.

xo

Jo

Ruth Hiebert said...

I hope your Christmas is filled with peace and joy.

lil red hen said...

Your tree is beautiful! Just the right size! I didn't put one up this year; an 18 month old here for Christmas. I'm inspired by your faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. Merry Christmas!!

Louca por porcelana said...

Stunning rose and gorgeous pics!Merry Christmas!

Junkchiccottage said...

Lorraine your little tree is so cute. Love the sweet angel on the top of the tree. I am so happy you have faith and can find strength in this especially when you are missing your dear hubby so much. May you have a nice Christmas. Your dinner sounds so good. Merry Christmas sweet friend.
Hugs,
Kris

L. D. said...

It is a pretty little tree. I like the ornaments on it. Stunning red rose you have.

Ann said...

Your little tree looks lovely. I'll also be spending a quiet day home alone on Christmas day. My children will both be here Christmas eve and we will have our celebration then. Your Christmas dinner sounds delicious. I'll have to think of what I want to make for mine.

Kit said...

The tree is lovely! Have a wonderful Christmas my friend. Love, KK 💕

Anne Payne said...

Your trees are lovely! That is a gorgeous Rose too.

silverlady said...

FlowerLady,
I was so touched to find your message to me in your blog post today. Thank you so much. I love your little tree and all your other wonderful touches in Plum Cottage. I will be thinking of you especially over the next few days and wishing you some moments of peace and comfort as we and so many other widows navigate these holy days without the physical presence of our DH’s.
PlantLady

Terry said...

Merry Christmas, Lorraine!
Simple Abundance is one of my favorite books! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Terry

A Joyful Cottage said...

Your little Christmas tree is lovely, Lorraine. I understand about having a quiet Christmas with the Lord. Dennis went to Virginia to visit his daughter for Thanksgiving and so I was alone -- or at least that was the way I had planned it. I ended up saying "yes" to an invitation to someone from church who just insisted I couldn't be alone on Thanksgiving. :) I had a nice time, but really, being on my own would have been fine, too. I hope you have a wonderful and Merry Christmas with Jesus. Hugs and love, Nancy

Melanie said...

Your Christmas tree is beautiful. And your plans for Christmas Day sound very peaceful. Merry Christmas and many blessings to you for 2020!

Rebecca said...

As I wrote to a friend this morning, I'm thankful that "Christmas"is not a mood!

Your cottage, photo, plans and words this season sound peaceful. May your memories be blessed; your heart at rest. ❤️🌲❤️

Lynn and Precious said...

Merry Christmas, Loraine. Enjoy your Christmas Eve event and your
own quiet time. Jesus is with us at all time, but sometimes we
feel His presence even more.

ellen b. said...

I like your little counter top tree. God bless you dearly this Christmas and beyond.

Carla from The River said...

Merry Christmas, thank you for stopping at The River.
I love what you are going to do for the holiday. To be that special friend for Rita.
My dear best friend Lori will be having surgery on 1/10, she will be having a mastectomy,hysterectomy and if they see any other cancer they will go after it. She will start chemo right after that. I want to be the best friend I can for her during this time. I have been thinking of her so much this Christmas season. It was uplifting to read how you are there for your friends in a special way.

Have a blessed Christmas,
Carla

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Your little tree is so charming, Loraine, and your new chairs, too. So glad that you found them and on your dear husband's birthday. A wonderful gift. Your quiet, peaceful Christmas sounds just right. So sorry I have been away so long - I have had computer issues. Wishing you a day full of joyful peace, and many blessings in the coming New Year. Hugs xo Karen

Red Rose Alley said...

Merry Christmas Lorraine. Your red rose made my heart sing on this very special day. I have a little gold angel that is similar to yours on the top of my tree this year, which is hand made. Love their wooden faces. Yes, being "still and quiet" is important, and we all need time for ourselves once in awhile. I hope you get that time just for you. : )

~Sheri

Dewena said...

Your basket of new books look compelling, Lorraine, and your quiet Christmas Day sounds so sweet. I hope it was a blessing to you. I'm sure you spent time thinking back to times with your beloved husband and found comfort in being in the home you shared with him.

I've never seen an amaryllis grown like that and hope you share pictures of it as it grows.

Love to you, dear Flower Lady,
Dewena

M.K. said...

Such a beautiful post. I think quiet Christmases, if we can get them, are so much more meaningful (well, at least to me they are) than busy, noisy Christmases. Ours was a bit busy this year with kids and a grandbaby in the house, plus all the responsibilities of a pastor's family that we really can't away from this time of year. Your Christmas sounds lovely! I also got an amarylis bulb just like that one, and it's now blooming ... I think 4 blooms at the same time. I'll put it in the ground when it's done.

Rebecca said...

That basket of books intrigues me! And the trees make me smile.... Looking forward to many visits in 2020. ❤️🙏❤️

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Wishing you a blessed and peaceful new year!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I pray that your quiet Christmas was a rest and balm to your soul! You had lots of books to read, quite lovely to enjoy I'm sure! The rose and amaryllis blooms are amazing, how lovely to enjoy blooms all year long! Our season is so short here. I have Christmas cactus that have bloomed once, and some are starting to bloom again, so I am thankful for their cheery souls! Always enjoy a visit here with you! Much love to you sweet friend!