Thursday, August 22, 2019

Projects, life, etc.


Good morning Friends ~ I can't thank you enough for your kind words of encouragement on my latest post. We all go through up and down times. And it's through God's love and the kindness of others that we make it through our days. As a lot of you know, I'm a widow now, it's been 6 years and 8 months since God called my dear husband home to be with Him. While the grieving isn't as hard and raw as it was in the beginning, I still grieve at times, and trust in God to be my strength when I'm having a down time.

I am a procrastinator living on a budget. There are projects that hubby and I had been working on together that are still undone. I was his helper, and now I do what I can to take care of home and property myself. It is easier when the weather is nicer, but the heat and humidity of summer and being the age that I am now, I get drained of energy easier than I used to. I do what I can, when I can. When people come over here, they don't see the 'mess' I see, they see a bit of early Florida, they see all the neat tools, my kitch on the inside and the flowers, etc., they love it, they get excited and they give compliments, which make my heart sing.

I took the pics below on the 20th of the front patio and path. The patio and path need pressure washing, weeds need to be taken care of,  paths need clearing, etc.





In the overgrowth near the driveway gate, is the key lime tree, with 5 limes on it. I plan on using one to make a margarita to celebrate our 50th anniversary. ;-)


A couple of posts back, I shared about my weed whacker flipping it's lid and spool. I've looked in the hedgerow out front where I was working at the time, but did not find the spool or the spring. There are thorns in that hedgerow also so I didn't spend a whole lot of time out there digging around. One of my followers, a friend who became a widow after I did, suggested I look for parts online so I did. After reviewing both the generic parts and the B&D parts, I decided to go with the B&D. Their spools are made for my machine, they are wound and ready to go so I won't have to hassle with trying to restring a spool myself. I'm not one who has an immaculate property, only using the whacker when I feel it really needs it, so these three spools should last me a good while. Complaints about the generic spools not matching up feed holes in the machine is what decided me against them. My husband always restrung the spool for me, but after the last fiasco of trying it myself, I'm not going to try again. Two out of four worked, and two didn't, the last one being the worst. My new lid with spring and the 3 spools should be here next week. 

I enjoy working outside in nice weather, right now I have to be out as early as possible, and even then the humidity drags me down. I am so ready for cooler weather, but we still have September to get through yet. We've had some wicked thunderstorms, LOTS of rain so things are really growing like crazy.

Inside I've been working on straightening up, decluttering and cleaning. Working with/for my friend Bea has helped encourage me to keep working on this place. Since I've been on my own, I've lost, at times, the initiative to do anything. It hardly seems worth it, but that's not how hubby would want me to be living. He would want me to be my happy self, enjoying what God blesses me with each day, and know and trust that God is with me through everything, good and bad.

So, here are before and after pictures. This first photo is from March of this year. 


 This photo was taken this morning.

  

This is from June this year.


 This is from this morning. I'm standing on the other side of the bed, Miss Tork is contemplating jumping up on the bed for a snooze.

 

Here is the other side of this space.


 This is the bedroom side of this space. whole space is 8'10" wide by 24'long.


Still lots to do to finish off this cottage, and little by little things are getting accomplished. 
That's it for now. I need to get up and do some things. 

Home is where your heart is, big or small, finished or unfinished. It is a haven, one to be thankful for.

Enjoy your days ~ FlowerLady








16 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Home is where the heart is. That is so true. By most standards, I live in a fairly small house and I don't have everything all modern, but it's mine and I love it.I don't need more room, that is only more space to clean.Keep on keeping on.

Nancy J said...

A kind word, a cheery welcome, a sit down and a lending ear, these with a loving heart are what makes a home. The growth is prolific, but the new spools should be a lot easier to use. I have not had to do anything like that, and so admire your inner courage and strength. Hugs from another wet morning down here.XXX

Ann said...

You did an excellent job of getting things done. I sometimes feel like you mentioned, no initiative to do anything. I'm the only one who ever sees things and I wonder why bother. I suppose the point is doing it for me. I am also a procrastinator and I tend to put things off way too much

Mother Em said...

When you're finished with decluttering, straightening up ...I've got a place for you to practice on. Love your little cottage; so sweet and cozy. Mary or Em in Georgia

Susie said...

Kudos to you...your place looks so much neater now. You good cat will be nice to snuggle with. Blessings, stay strong. xoxo, Susie

Thelma said...

You have done a lot of decluttering. Take it one day at a time. Your home looks so cosy and comfortable. Good luck with the weeds and trimming.

Vee said...

Your home is charming. I so well know what a challenge maintaining a home can be when one is alone. Sometimes, it would be easier to quit. I am glad that you keep plugging away outside and inside. It takes grit and you have that. Glad that you have new parts coming soon. I don’t know how you’d find something so far flung into all the growth you have there in a Florida cottage.

Anne Payne said...

You have been working hard! It looks great!!! I see nothing but tropical lush beauty outside your cottage. :-)

Terry said...

Lorraine,
You are creating beautiful spaces!
Terry

Henny Penny said...

Your gardens are so beautiful! Wonder if I could get my whole front yard to look like that?? I love what you have done to each room. You have such a cozy place.

Rebecca said...

Wow! You've really accomplished a LOT! Your cottage is SO charming...
How do you find enough hours in the day to keep up with your tropical paradise? I'm impressed. ☺️

Morning's Minion said...

I see that Miss Tork made it onto the bed for a final picture.
Staying decluttered is difficult for many of us, especially in smaller spaces. I keep looking at the bins and boxes still unpacked in our new house. It is daunting! As I sort and unpack, I try to be honest about what I really need and will use.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Congratulations on conquering clutter!! No easy task especially in a small space. I'm cheering you on to do the mundane tasks of each day and the ones outside in your wonderful gardens.
xx, Carol

ellen b. said...

Good for you. You have accomplished a lot. Glad you ordered replacement parts that will be easier to use. Blessings to you!

M.K. said...

I do think small spaces tidy up so quickly, don't you? Esp. when everything does have its place -- it just has to be put there. I tend to leave it until the mess is bad enough ... and then clean :) Glad about your weed wacker! Cool weather is coming.

gld said...

What a great accomplishment! The spaces look wonderful.
My trick is to never let them get too bad. I try to clean up my messes as I make them so I don't have to face it all at once.

My next project that I keep putting off is washing the kitchen cabinets....which will be a very slow bit of work. I will just do sections at a time.

I still am impressed by how you keep your gardens looking so good. I would be overwhelmed by your climate and growth.
Love the limes! enjoy the margarita!