Thursday, August 15, 2019

Hot, humid August


Hello Folks ~ It's been almost a month since my last post. Our summer heat and humidity totally drains me of all energy. I went out this morning to mow and weed wack. I restrung my weed wacker, but evidently didn't do it right as a few minutes into doing it's job, the spool head and spool blew off. I found the orange top, but didn't find the spool yet, it's black and somewhere in the hedge. I looked some, but was bummed and frustrated, so decided to start mowing while I felt like it. I did the little front lawn, up along the driveway and started into the back area, but just couldn't do anymore. I was soaked and needed to stop. I had taken small water breaks and was out there for around 2 hours. It was 81 when I started with real feel being 94, when I stopped the temp was 88 but real feel was 106. YIKES! I will look out in the hedge again when I can for the black spool as I don't really want to spend the $ on a new tool. This has worked just fine for years and years. 

We have had lots of stormy weather down here, wind, black rain heavy clouds, thunder and lightening, scary stuff. The sky is darkening as I'm typing now.

Early on the morning of the first, I looked out the window here beside my chair and the clouds in the sky, drew me outside. The coloring of the sky, sort of golden.


I went outside and this is how it looked from standing in the driveway.


I went on up the driveway and when I got to the turning point, this is what I saw, and gasped in delight. I thanked God right then and there for nudging me with the view out my window to go outside with camera to see this gift He had for me.


 


Working with dear Bea is going along nicely. She's a character. We both are thankful for each other. 

This is just a short post to let you all know I'm still here. I have up and down days. Our 50th wedding anniversary is coming up on the 8th, so there are a lot of memories rumbling around in my head and heart. I have much to be thankful for.

I've been reading posts and you all are busy with summer activities and I pray for continued blessings for you. I pray for our country and world, times are rough all over. In spite of all the bad that is going on, there are good things to be thankful for. There is still much beauty and love in this world.

Ok, that's it. Love, hugs & prayers from FlowerLady

21 comments:

Ann said...

Oh no on the weed whacker. That sounds like something that would happen to me. I hope you are able to find the other part.
Those temps are too hot to mow in. I need to get out and mow mine again.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing those beautiful images. That is just liken our god to prompt you to look outside. I believe that He delights in doing these special things for us. Do try to stay somewhat cool. Temperatures have been quite comfortable here recently. I am enjoying the cooler weather so much.
Hugs, Ruth

lil red hen said...

I'm smiling, as I had the same thing happen to my weed wacker! I don't know if it can be fixed but I hope so! It is a battery operated gizmo and lighter and easier for me to start. I can usually use it for as long as I need to before its battery dies. The days are too hot to be outside for very long at a time. We have big chickens now and it's a constant worry that they will make it through each day.

It seems you are doing what you should to stay hydrated and taking breaks often. May God bless you...

Nancy J said...

Hope the black part shows up a little more easily. That sky colour, what nature provides is glorious.

Junkchiccottage said...

Oh the pics of the sky are beautiful. You are really having the heat and storms down there. Take good care with all that heat.
Hugs,
Kris

Cheryl said...

Nice to hear from you this evening, Lorraine! I get weary of the heat and humidity and the drain that it is on my body . . . and I don't live in Florida! (Heaven help me if did!) I am glad that you didn't try to do the whole lawn. You were wise to stop. I am saying a prayer that you are able to find the part to your weed whacker. I am also praying that the Lord comfort your heart in the days surrounding your 50th wedding anniversary. May sweet memories warm your heart.

crafty cat corner said...

When I was younger I loved the heat and would take days on the beach but now I can't bear it. We have had some really high temperatures again this year and like you it just takes everything out of me even when I'm not actually doing anything physical.
I guess its this aging thing, lol
Briony
x

Vee said...

Recently, I lost a pan, posted about it, and I do believe the prayers of my readers helped me find that pan very shortly after. I am praying that you easily find what you need. If I were closer, I’d help you rake it out of that hedge. 😊

Your header and post pictures have that lovely lavender quality...soft and pretty.

Hope that you get some cooling temps so you can enjoy being outside once again.

Anne Payne said...

The heat has been oppressive! I haven't done much blogging either. Just no energy. Take care and stay hydrated, my friend!!!

Morning's Minion said...

August seems to be the month when we are feeling 'over' summer! We've had no rain but the air is heavy and humid. The outdoor work we accomplish is done early in the morning or in the evening. In between we scuttle inside to recover in the air conditioning!

M.K. said...

There is much goodness and beauty in the world, and you are part of that! I opened up your blog, and the peacefulness of that top banner photo, bordered in the deep lavender, took my breath away. Thank you! You have an eye for beauty, FL, and you share it with others. I'm so happy your new job is going well. What a blessing all around! The heat and humidity will pass. We're feeling it here too. I'm eager for some COOL days and good outside work without bugs.

Thelma said...

I've been very busy with visitors this summer. Thankfully my sister helps me with weeding my flowers and she uses the grass trimmer and keep everything trimmed. I cut all the grass. The grass has started to slow down with the heat and lack of rain. It's been hot at times. I hope you find the grass trimmer spool.

Terra said...

If you don't find the part, could you buy a replacement part for your weed whacker? What a beautiful rainbow you saw.

Friko said...

I’d find it impossible to work outside in such temperatures. What stops me here is the rain, the endless, heavy rain. August has been completely washed out so far.

Look after yourself.

Henny Penny said...

I've been thinking about you lately and wondering how I miss your posts. Maybe it's because you haven't posted a lot. :) You write the sweetest posts, and that special gift of a rainbow is beautiful. It has been too hot and humid to work outside here too. I stand it as long as I can and have to come inside. Take care. Love, Henny

Melanie said...

I'm glad your work with Bea is going well.

I give you a lot of credit for mowing and weed whacking out there in that heat and humidity. I'm glad you're careful and drink a lot of water and go back inside when it gets to be too much. I have no idea how to re-string a weed whacker; I guess I'd better have my husband show me now before I possibly have to worry about it someday on my own.

I can only imagine how your heart is hurting as you are recalling your upcoming anniversary date. Much love and blessings to you.

GretchenJoanna said...

I have missed you! Every day when you choose to get out of bed again, you are adding beauty to the world. Thank you for keeping on, and doing what you can do.

In the heat, it seems like very little. We've had two or three heat waves this summer and they wipe me out. I can hardly think. I used to not be much affected by the heat, and could accomplish things, but as my age increases, my heat tolerance decreases. I take naps.

I love to see your flowers, too, and the rainbow! -- they help us to have a persevering attitude, don't they?

Rose ~ from Oz said...

I feel the pain with mowing and whipper snipping! We live in similar hot humid areas and they sure have their challenges. Gorgeous sky Lorraine, just beautiful! Anniversaries are really tough and this is a big one too. Feeling for you my dear. Hugs. X

My Grama's Soul said...

Good morning Lorraine.....Working in the yard is tough in such hot, humid weather. We have the same thing here in Az this time of year. Your pictures are so calming and peaceful.....thanks for sharing with us.

xox

Jo

Pam's English Garden said...

Sorry about your weedwacker spool, Rainey. I think it was telling you that you need to get inside out of the heat and humidity. It's bad here in the NE, so I can only work outside in the early morning. Your sky pictures are stunning! P.x

Darcie said...

So nice to get over here an peek in on you and your summer happenings! I can imagine that a lot of memories would be flooding your mind and heart as your 50th anniversary draws closer. I hope those memories wrap you tightly in the comfort of the love you and your husband shared. Miss you, and I need to do better getting over here, even if I haven't been faithful in blogging!