Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Romantic bits and pieces

Hello Folks ~ here we are into February, the month in which 'love' is celebrated. Actually, love should be celebrated every single day, not just at one time of the year. 

Yesterday I went around inside and out of Plum Cottage taking pics of romantic bits and pieces. I am a 'romantic' at heart, always have been, and it hasn't stopped since Mark graduated to his heavenly abode.

So, here goes.

God is Love, He created us to love us and to love Him and love others. Here we have a representation of God's hand holding a lump of rock. What is that showing up out of the rock near His thumb?

 

It is one of Adam's legs, and here we see the rest of this creation. Eve with Adam.
Have had this piece for years and years, either got it at a local flea market or yard sale. It is a gentle and loving piece.


Loving bits from outside


  Part of an old iron tool.


An iron window covering.


Wrought iron bits from a huge iron gate. DH made a couple of different table bases with some of this gate, that we sold. The flower bit we no doubt 'found' curbside.



Now we are inside.
An antique pot metal lady figurine bought at flea market or yard sale, and a cement and pebble piece found under the house when my dear BIL, Todd, did some plumbing repair work for me.


 
David and Venus bought many, many years ago for $6 at a local flea market. The two heart rocks DH bought at a local place that had different kinds of rocks. He asked the lady if he could just pick out a couple to buy and she said yes, He was looking for hearts, was always on the look out for hearts, no matter what the medium.



 I didn't want to be in the photo, but alas, ended up in it anyway. Plum Cottage is filled with love and loving memories.
 


DH painted the painting to the left, it is from a photo he took when we visited that town on the hill.  It is Arcos de la Frontera in Spain. We went down a little dirt road to get this photo. For those who don't know, we lived in Rota, Spain for a little over three years while he was in the US Navy.


 
A handmade plaque probably bought at the local flea market way back when.
 


This is a miniature painting, very romantic, in an ivory frame.


This is a painting I picked up at the flea market one Sunday morning. We set up at the flea market for 15 years and found lots of great things, some we sold, some we kept.

This particular morning, I stopped at a spot and they had a box of framed things all about the same size and they told me they were 3 for $1. The other two things I got were just prints, and I bought them for the frames. But this, was the maraschino cherry on the icing on the cake,  it is a painting done after a famous painting, 'Matrimonio en Seville', (marriage in Seville). Seville, Spain is where my dear husband picked me up at the airport when I flew over to join him, Jan 27, 1970. We started living together as husband and wife, having gotten married in Sept, and lived in Spain a little over 3 years, while he served in the US Navy. Seville was a favorite city of ours.


Not sure where we got this, flea market or yard sale.


(For some reason, I cannot upload any more photos to this post. The box comes up, but it is blank except for the x to close out window at the top right.)

**********

Let someone know you love and care about them, not just on Valentine's Day, but any day.

'Love is Forever'

FlowerLady


21 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sweet friend, what a beautiful post both in word and photos. I am so incredibly thankful for God's love. Oh, where would I be without it?!

I hope you have a most blessed day, dear one. Sending love and hugs your way!

Mother Em said...

Love hearing about your Spain times. My husband was stationed in Rota, but with his first wife, so never got the pleasure of going overseas.

Also, we will be married 49 years in September - we share the same wedding month.

Love your Plum Cottage in Florida. Simply beautiful.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Mother Em ~ I will answer you here and hope you will see this.

We lived in Rota. Loved it. Our apt. building was on the beach, we lived on the 5th floor facing east. $75 a month. ;-)

Our 50th anniversary is this year, and I still plan to celebrate even though my dear husband is no longer here. Our anniversary is the 8th.

Thank you for your kind words about Plum Cottage. It is tiny by today's standards, 675 sq. ft., but it is home sweet home.

Happy Valentine's Day to you and your husband ~ FlowerLady

Out on the prairie said...

Love holds our world together and as it spreads makes this a better life to be part of. I look for the hearts all around me and often draw a few in snow and sand, or even make rock sculptures to send that message to everyone.

Nancy J said...

Love can be close,in your own home, in the garden, down the street, in another town, or across the oceans and space. This week I received so much love from so many friends, and as I read their words, knew that love and friendship is real, no matter the distance. Thinking of you with all your hearts, your garden, and your DH in heaven. Love to you for the 14th and every dayXXX

ellen b. said...

You are surrounded by love. Sweet. I was reading verses about love in the Bible today. It's good to show our love by serving one another. Biblical love seems to revolve around service. Hope the rest of your week is filled with beautiful things...

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Your sweet plum cottage is just full of love, Lorraine - you truly had a good life with your dear husband, and wonderful memories.

Ann said...

Plum cottage is full of lovely items and memories. I did not know that you had lived in Spain. It's fun learn new things about blog pals. Thanks for sharing the memories

Melanie said...

Wonderful memories of love all over your house! Your husband was very talented with his painting. Do you have more of his paintings? I didn't know you lived in Spain when you were a newlywed. So interesting!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I'm glad you have surrounded yourself with happy memories. I have happy memories as well, but I just can't get into the Valentine thing since my Husband is not at my side.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Your little Plum Cottage is just brimming with love and sweet memories, my dear. The wedding painting from Seville is such a wonderful find and the scene that your dear husband painted is amazing! Love taking peeks around your charming home and seeing all your treasures. Wishing you a lovely Valentine's Day and I hope you treat yourself to something sweet. Sending hugs xo Karen

pilar said...

I really love the Seville painting although it took awhile to find the couple, but how charming! Everything about your home is special, you are very lucky to be surrounded by so many special memories. Much love to you!

GretchenJoanna said...

What a LOVEly and charming post, taking us back through your life and marriage and mementos... I especially love that little statue of Adam and Eve coming out of the rock!

Terry said...

Hi Lorraine!

So much love in your posts! Somehow I missed that you lived in Spain for 3 years. What wonderful memories you must have. I hope you are feeling all the love coming to you from all your blogging friends.

Love,
Terry

Vee said...

Lovely treasures and so meaningful...You have created a wonderful home filled with love and precious memories. We need those memories.

Karen said...

I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day, Rainey. You have so many treasures and remembrances of life with your DH. We are sending you warm hugs and love from here. :-)

M.K. said...

What sweet, warm memories, FL! You and your husband shared such a deep bond, it comes out in your words. Happy Valentine's Day to you!!

Rebecca said...

I love the sweet things and the stories behind them! ❤️

Kit said...

I just love all the touches of love in your cottage. I too adore hearts of all types and have them up year round. :) Love, KK

Deborah Montgomery said...

I love that you wrote Plum Cottage is filled with love and with loving memories. The best kind of home. xo Deborah

outlawgardener said...

Plum Cottage is filled with many stunning reminders of love.
"Set me as a seal upon thine heart,
as a seal upon thine arm:
for love is strong as death.
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it.

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God and he that loveth is born of God and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God for God is love.