Thursday, February 21, 2019

Felt like such a dunce


 A dunce is "a person who is slow at learning; a stupid person". That is how I felt after realizing what my mistake had been. Sheesh!

Yesterday morning I sat down here at my desk to pay bills online. Got to my website and to verify I am who I am, they would send me a code # via email. Ok, I've done this before. I got the #, put it into the appropriate box on website, then they asked for my pin # for a certain account. I knew what it was and started typing it in, but wasn't getting anywhere. 

I decided to go to the bank, which fortunately for me, isn't far from home & I had to make a deposit anyway. I explained my situation at the bank, the nice young lady did her best to help me, told me something I should try, so I went back home. (On the way home, I stopped at the Salvation Army thrift store, will tell about that on down in this post.) 

On getting home I decided since it was a bit cooler and although it had rained a bit during the night, the grass was dry enough for me to mow. So that's what I did, then had lunch and got into my banks website again to try what she suggested. Still didn't do the trick. I called the help # was told it would take at least 30 minutes to be able to talk to a real person. Back to the bank I went. Saw another young woman, told her my tale, then the other young lady came up and they were perplexed. I was becoming very frustrated by this time as I'd never had this problem before.  The second young lady called the help #, went through all of the options like I had done, and left my ph # for them to call me. 

I came back home, got a drink of water and sat down at my computer, put on some soothing instrumental music on you-tube, said a prayer for help and patience and started coloring in a little book I had gotten at the SA thrift store. This little book I bought with two others, all three for 38 cents.



 After about an hour of waiting, I tried the support # again, still on list. I saw, that there were two calls from unkn #'s while I was at support #.  They didn't call back.

As I was sitting here 'calming down', it dawned on me what my problem was. I had even said at the bank that it was probably something simple, and it was, hence my feelings of 'feeling like a dunce'. For years, the only way I had been using my pin# was on the little touch pad at the bank, which had letters and numbers. The pin # has always been two letters and two numbers to me, when in fact, it is 4 #'s. Needless to say, I got back into my banking website, got another verification code #, used it and my 4 # digit pin #, and YAHOO, YIPPETY DOO DAH, I was in. I cried a few tears and did what I had wanted to do hours before. I was feeling so dumb, yet so thankful to God for having my problem dawn on me.

I was totally wound up from all of that you can be sure. It took awhile to calm down totally.

Now, when I stopped at the Salvation Army thrift store after first bank visit, I looked around at shirts and dresses first, nada, headed back to the linens to see what might be there. Saw two grayish blue pillow cases hanging, 99 cents each, then saw the top sheet, $4.99, didn't see the fitted sheet, until I looked down on the floor, it had slipped off the hanger. It also was $4.99. It was senior citizens day so it would be 25% off and the set was 100% cotton, and a full size, which is what I need. I then found 3 books, and headed for checkout. At checkout, I said I was a sr. citizen, she said that doesn't matter, everyone gets 50% off today. Wow, I paid $6.34 cents for it all. 

After my banking fiasco, I checked online for 300 thread count sheets by Sonoma. Found them and they are $44.95 for a sheet set. 

I wasn't even going to go to a thrift store yesterday, I 'was' going to go to Aldi's and Publix, until my banking sign in problem. But the thrift store is on my way home from bank so I stopped. God blessed me with goodness, not all that grand in the over all scheme of things, but a big deal blessing to this 'FlowerLady'.

You never know what is going to happen in a day, plans can change from one minute to the next. There's a scripture reference in the Bible found in James 4:12-15 that says the following: 

"Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.”

Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.

Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”


Ever since my dear husband went to be with His Creator, I say 'God willing' with just about any plan I make, because we really don't know what is in His plan for us.

The other day a saying came up on a blog, and I don't remember where I read it, it said something like this:

Make your plan list in pencil, and carry an eraser.

So, with that, I am saying about today's plans, God willing I plan to, wash dishes (I'm the dishwasher), fold and put away 2 basket loads of clean laundry, vacuum up dust/cat and my hair/bunnies, wash another load of laundry including new sheet set, and who knows what else.

*************************

GREAT NEWS about Lavon. His wife Shana texted me that he walked to and from the door of his hospital room yesterday and color has returned to his foot and hopefully his toes will turn to normal coloring also. If all goes well, he'll be home tomorrow. Continue to pray for his healing, and for Shana as she lovingly cares for him and works her full time job.

Thank you all for your friendship, your love, prayers, encouragement, your kind comments, all a blessing to me.

FlowerLady







27 comments:

crafty cat corner said...

Don't you sometimes hate computers? Just recently I reformatted mine back to a previous date, of course after that every site I checked into needed the password. As I have had many over the years I am now gradually renewing them all, so tiresome.
As for your find of 300 count bedware, how lovely, I bet they feel like silk.
And I have found that it's no good planning as things just appear from nowhere scuppering any plans made , lol
Briony
x

Debbie Harris said...

Though frustrating,I enjoyed reading about your day!
Oh those computers can be so frustrating, can't they? Seems like I'm always having to call on my daughter or husband for help.

What a great find at your salvation army store and then to have a surprise of 50% off, I bet you were doing the happy dance.
God is certainly good to us, even in the small things of life.

Have a blessed day ♡

ellen b. said...

Oh boy, that could easily happen to me. Computers can be perplexing to me at times. I'm glad the solution dawned on you. Fun finds and deals at the thrift store. Hope your Thursday is going well.

Out on the prairie said...

each week they have a different colored tag at the salvation for 50% off. Wed is senior day and Thurs is veterans day so always lots of value, I love going on a regular basis

Ruth Hiebert said...

It can be so frustrating when things like your banking happen.I get hard on myself and like you say, sometimes,most times, it's something really simple.Glad you got it all sorted out and found some bargains along the way.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Well that sounds like a frustrating day, but you sure have a good outlook on life, Lorraine! Great bargain on the sheet set - I love deals like that!!

Darcie said...

You are not a dunce at all, my friend...just one of those days, right? I could probably write story after story about some of my not so bright moments. Good to know we aren't alone in some of are not so fine moments. Coloring calms me too, that or doodling.

Melanie said...

You're not a dunce...we all make silly mistakes like that! I think we get too frustrated and then it makes the problem seem even worse. Great deal on the sheets!

Junkchiccottage said...

Computers can be so helpful and fun until they aren't!!!! Glad you got your pin number figured out and were able to get back into your account. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.
Hugs,
Kris

Ann said...

I've had frustrating moments like that and afterwards feel very stupid for not being able to figure it out in the beginning. Glad you got it taken care of. It makes you feel so much better.
Great new on your friend and that was some bargain at the thrift store

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh Geez. Sometimes I get brain freeze too and always feel pretty dumb after the solution (which really isn't a solution because there was no real problem) appears. Sorry you had this happen because it upset you needlessly.

Great deal at the thrift shop. Cotton sheets are getting pretty expensive.

Like they say, keep calm and carry on!!
xx, Carol

Vee said...

Very glad that every little thing worked out and so glad to read that The Lord is healing your friend.

outlawgardener said...

How frustrating it is when something like that happens and it's our own fault. Great thrift store finds!

Kit said...

Lol!! Oh how I have done the same thing. I have so many passwords and such and it gets confusing even tho I have them in a book. Glad it all worked out! Love, KK

Deborah Montgomery said...

sounds like something that would happen to me!! glad you figured it out. and what a deal on the sheets!

Morning's Minion said...

I've refused to do my banking or bill payments online--a bit wary of having account info 'out there.' I keep passwords written on a big blotter pad--still sometimes have to go through old ones and the process of changing and resetting.
I'm glad your unplanned visit to the charity shop resulted in good finds--a happy ending to a frustrating day!

Dewena said...

Oh Lorraine, I have done that too! And have called and finally gotten through only to be asked if I was sure I didn't have all caps on--and yes, that was the problem. And I just put up a post about finally, I hope, getting my computer problems fixed. So I hear you, girl!

And also, like you, I have had times at the thrift store when I knew without doubt that God had something there waiting for me--all of our curtains for this house except one room were found that way, in times when I could never have bought them new. I don't look at anything as coincidence anymore, do you?

Another benefit of a thrift store good experience is that it seems a reward for these hair-pulling moments!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I'm so glad to hear that Lavon is pulling through and getting circulation back in his foot - great news! I'll send prayers for continued healing. Oh, I can totally relate to your banking story. There are so many times I have messed up passwords and pins and have been locked out of accounts due to triggering security concerns. It was so good that you thought of staying calm and just letting your mind rest to say a prayer. One good thing is that you got to stop at the thrift store! I just love a good thrift store trip. I always find something I can use. The last time I came home with a whole bag of sewing threads on wooden spools for a few dollars. I can't believe how expensive a spool of thread at the craft store is these days! Hope your week ahead brings sweet blessings. Hugs xo Karen

Hootin Anni said...

Technology is good & can also be frustrating!! All in all...your banking worked out, & you found some good deals at salvation army

Kim said...

Praise God for Lavon's continued improvement! Lord, please give him full use of his toes as well!

I so sympathize with you on your computer woes. My hubby is an IT guy and he hates computers! Lol That should say something! So glad God helped you get through that bank confusion. 🙏🙏

GretchenJoanna said...

I don't think this computer thing is going to get any easier! We are all getting older, and the technology is getting more complicated. Ugh.

Karen said...

Oh Rainey, don't feel like a dunce! I've done much the same thing time after time. Not too long ago I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my password and after requesting numerous ones and finally talking to a human, I found I had my 'num lock' on the keyboard. Oh, dear, silly me! Very true, I will definitely write all my plans in pencil and keep an eraser handy. We can only live one second at a time anyway. Sending love and hugs! Karen

Rebecca said...

Pin #s are a source of panic for me. I an SI thrilled to hear of how it all worked out! I'm going to copy that quote about making plans in pencil, too!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Computers can be a Gix sent and next the devil! When things are funny smooth it’s great but on more ivassions than not it’s stressful. Wow to fund 3 of the coloring books at that price we’re steals! I’m glad it all worked out and you found more treasures along the way! 💕

Katie Mansfield said...

I hate pin numbers and passwords. I can never remember them. I'm glad you found something at the thrift store. Great verse.

M.K. said...

Each day is such a mystery, and although I feel I just stumble along from one thing to the next, God does have a plan. Glad you realized how to correct your bank troubles! That was a good deal on sheets. That's one area where a thrift store can really save lots of money. New sheets are so expensive! blessings on you today, dear FL!!

Terra said...

Rainey, I would be stressed too at trying to log in to a bank account and failing. Hurray, you figured it out, and got a great deal on buying the sheets. God is so good to us, even when we have detours. When I pray I usually say, "according to your will", since I know He knows best. That is good news about your friend.