Thursday, October 25, 2012

Hurricane Sandy giving us ‘more’ rain

Good Thursday afternoon. I started this post by hand sitting out in the screened porch off the kitchen. It is cooler out here than inside, although very damp to say the least. We are getting rain from Hurricane Sandy.  More is expected through tomorrow. Saturday is supposed to be much better and Sunday beautiful.

25-oct-sandy

25-oct-sandy2

25-oct-sandy3

25-oct-sandy4

The Bahamas are being blasted by this hurricane now. It was 7 years ago at this time, that we were blasted by Wilma, and then were without power for 13 days. I’m sure glad that is not the case this time. I do hope no lives are lost, and that property damages are minimal for all those in this storms’ path.

Skies this morning.

10-25-hurricane-sandy-am

10-25-hurricane-sandy-am2

While sitting out here I notice that butterflies are still fluttering about, even in the rain, birds are singing and the windchimes are making their sweet music. I am thankful for those blessings. I have been discouraged, worried and depressed lately so these little glimpses of God’s goodness are wonderful.

As to our a.c. ~ I pulled it out of the opening little by little as it is a heavy monster, and once out far enough I propped it with a couple of things gathered for that purpose. I got the top off, looked at the fan motor and there are NO oil holes. DH suggested just squirting oil on the rod at both ends of the motor. It started but didn’t last for long. Sheesh!

It’s in the east wall of our kitchen. Our cottage is around 700 sq. ft. and a unit this size has kept us comfortable for about 21 years now. This is our third Friedrich’s. The first one lasted about 12 years, the next one 6 and this one only 3. This is a company with a good reputation, but something doesn’t look right with these figures. Quality must be getting poorer. And, the warranty is parts =1 year, and the refrigerant part = 5 years. What good is the compressor without the fan???

10-20-a.c

10-21-a.c

We let the thing sit like this for a couple of days, then I thought to try it again before shoving it back into the wall, as there’s nothing we can do with DH’s neck healing slowly and his not being able to do anything. Well, the fan started right up, sounded great and ran smoothly, for 50 minutes, then stopped. Oh poo, to put it modestly! DH wants to check something with it, but when he’s feeling better, if that doesn’t work, I’ll shove it back into place. At least it’s not the start of summer, the weather has cooled down a tad, and cooler temps into the high 50’s during the night, is expected in the next week or so. That will be so nice.

Monday I did errands by myself, and what did I do but lock myself out of my car. I just wanted to bawl. I called DH and told him and he said he’d be there as quick as he could. At least I was relatively close to home, but it was still painful for him to drive, but my ‘knight in blue jeans’ rescued me and said it happens to the best of us. This made me want to cry all the more, but I still had one more stop to make before heading home.

Monday afternoon I mowed as I knew rainy weather was coming, and I hadn’t been able to do it last week. Tues and Wed mornings I worked in my main garden trying to get things caught up there. I still have more to do in my primitive cottage gardens but at least I made a start. Paths were horribly overgrown and weeds were taking over.

As I sit here I am amazed at the butterflies fluttering about in the rain. It doesn’t seem to bother them at all. I on the other hand am heading back inside as the rain is starting to blow in on me, wetting me and the paper I’m writing on. It was a nice reprieve.

Now for some photos of what’s happening down here in our tropical cottage gardens.

Skipper butterfly on porterweed.

10-25-skipper

Zebra on porterweed.

10-25-zebra

Gate into secret garden with Alamo vine flowers.

10-25-alamo-vine

Philippine violet

10-25-phil-violet

Unknown orchid.

10-25-unkn-orchid

Excuse the overturned bucket which I was using to sit on to pull weeds, and excuse the weeds that are coming up through the path material. I was too pooped to do anymore.

10-25-mn-gard

The garden still needs work, sigh.

10-25-mn-gard2

The rain barrel is behind the lattice. I’ve not planted any vines to grow up it yet, as I’ve just not had the inclination to do anything lately. Every since we set up this rain barrel earlier in the year, we’ve had rain and more rain so that I’ve hardly had to use the water in the barrel.

10-25-mn-gard3

Kathleen.

10-25-kathleen

Prosperity

10-25-prosperity

Sunset on the 18th.

10-18-pm

10-18-pm2

That’s it from down south. Be thankful for your many blessings. Don’t take anything for granted. Things change in an instant.

FlowerLady Lorraine

***

It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed,

because his compassions fail not.

They are new every morning

24 comments:

Sunray Gardens said...

You still have lots of pretty plants and blooms. I agree though about things not lasting. It's a shame about the air but you are right, things are not made to last anymore.
Cher Sunray Gardens

denimflyz said...

I hope that you get through the rain. I sure wish we could get some. We got about 2 inches of snow last night and into early this morning.
I am concerned about you and DH. I will email you later. Please do not fret about locking yourself out of the car, I have done it a few times. When I do that, I am distracted thinking about other things.
Stay dry and we'll talk to you later.
Love and Hugs

Lona said...

Always something to keep us on our toes to fix. LOL! So frustrating I know. Well lets hope it stays cooler for you until you get it working again. What a glorious sunset!

Rebecca said...

Oh, Lorraine, I wish I could come down and just BE with you. I hear your frustration and heaviness of heart. I'm sorry re. all the equipment breakdowns....and sadder still that your dear husband is hampered so by his neck. I will be on my knees, literally, for you both tonight. I'm thankful that you have deliberately chosen to speak of the mercies of God. "It IS always darkest before the dawn," as they say.

I'm always intrigued and entranced by pictures of your garden & the sunset and skies you pictured are so very beautiful....

Balisha said...

I hope thing start looking up for you two soon. Hopefully the weather will stay cooler and you won't need the AC so much. As you say...things can change in a minute. Hope your changes are for the better.
Balisha (HUGS to you both))

Nancy J said...

Lorraine, your photos are super, words more so, I hope the AC can be fixed by magic!! Your garden, I have learnt to never apologise for weeds, the last time a visitor commented on the large weeds in our large lawn, I said, very quickly " Please wait, I'll find some gloves and a weeder" , he apologizsed and said he was joking!!! LOL, I thought he meant it.Take care, both of you, hope DH is on the improve, as is mine. Fond greetings, Jean.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

I'm glad you're still finding time to enjoy the flowers and butterflies. You are really doing a lot to keep everything going right now. The AC really tanks. I hope your hubby keeps healing and you don't get drowned with too much rain.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, Rain is okay ---but I hope you don't have any strong winds from that wicked storm. Looks like it may do lots of damage to the northeast. I hope not...

Great photos..
Hugs,
Betsy

sharon said...

the sun 'll come out....tomorrow! bet your bottom dollar!

Kit said...

I can see our snow on your map! A lot fell tonite. So pretty. I didn't realize your hubby was hurt. So sorry to hear that. Hope he heals up fast. Sending good vibes for him and your A/C. Love, Kit

Gayle said...

I've been bummed lately that I hardly get any comments... then I realized how long it's been since I read blogs and commented so I'm working on visiting everyone more. I caught up and I'm so glad your DH is seeing improvement. It's so hard to be in pain. I wish I was closer. I would weed and mow for you, and my husband would take care of the AC. Thinking of your worrying makes me sad. You are such a wonderful woman. BTW your box is finally in the mail. I am so awful when it comes to the post office. I love to share with others, but something about mailing packages... I'm the worst! In fact, I mailed out six the other day and my husband couldn't believe it. I got gifts for some new babies born in the family and he was pushing me to send the stuff. (I've been known to hang on to things until the child long outgrew them). Anyhow... hopefully soon you'll have some jelly from Alaska for your morning toast. :)

Becky said...

I hope you are not affected by that Hurricane. The News blip said that 20 some people have died in it so far. Be safe.

Leslie Kimel said...

Lorraine, I hope these hard times turn around soon. I'm thinking of you.

Karen said...

Lorraine, I'm hoping the storm leaves your area soon with no damage. We had some wild weather yesterday too, going from 70 degrees to 40 in an instant, luckily, no major damage in the state.

Oh, that air conditioner...we have a microwave that does the same thing, though a microwave is minor compared to your AC. We can only bake a potato halfway before the microwave shuts down, it just blinks right off, all the lights go out on it and sits there for at least twenty minutes until it cools down and comes back on by itself, like it's possessed or something. I wonder if your AC has the same issue? Possibly a thermostat sensor? They just do not make appliances like they used to. Planned obsolescence is really criminal in my book. My 1952 Maytag wringer washer is still going strong and I bet it will outlive me, lol.

You are so right about appreciating all that we have for life can change in an instant. I try to see things from the goofy side of life, but to tell you the truth, depression is always at my door, lurking, like a dark cloud on a sunny day. I'm always slamming the door shut in his face, but some days, he gets a toehold and I have to pry him back out. Maybe one day he'll get the message and leave me alone for good!

Just look at those butterflies, how beautiful. It's life's gentlest blessings that remind me things aren't as bleak as they seem sometimes. You always raise my spirits, Lorraine. Hugs to you and DH.

Jane said...

So sorry to read about your troubles, Rainey. I guess when it rains it pours, (pardon the pun). But isn't that the way it always goes? Guess He wanted to send you some reassurance via the butterflies. Keep your chin up!

Susan said...

Hi Flowerlady....I do hope you'll be able to get your a/c up and running. If not, I'd find myself a different brand next time.

We're getting lots of wind from Sandy but not too much rain...and we could use a bit. Have a great weekend!

sweetbay said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about your AC. So necessary in Fla. Clearly the quality has gone down over the years. :(

I hope you don't get too much rain or any damage from the storm. In the mid-Atlantic region Sandy is supposed to make landfall again and turn into a blizzard or something. They're calling it Frankenstorm. I hope to goodness the worst scenario doesn't happen.

sherryocala said...

Hi, Lorraine, I like the scripture at the end of your previous post - "Casting all your cares upon Him for He cares for you." Whether you lock your keys in your car or have weeds in your garden or AC in your house - even in the face of DH's pain, the Lord still cares for you and He's with you. I know you know that. I'm just gently bringing Him to your mind and trusting that He will comfort your heart. He's good at that.

Balisha said...

Just checkiing back to see how you're doing. Hopefully Sandy is out of your area, but I fear for the east coast.
Please know that I am praying for both of you...
Balisha

Kimberly said...

Hi, FL! I'm sad to hear of your a/c troubles and the frustration you've felt this week. This too shall pass. You have such a beautiful garden and cottage to lift your spirits!
Love your garden photos!! Weeding is a constant here in S FL...no need to apologize for losing energy to that never ending toil.
Sandy has brought us a lot of wind and some rain. I'm anxious to see what she has done to our shoreline and the remaining turtle nests. I think the winds will clear out tomorrow (Sunday) so we might wander over then.

Anonymous said...

Lorraine, I've been thinking about you what with the hurricane and all. Our weather people keep telling us the worst is going to go further north, to DC and New York and combine with ANOTHER storm for a double whammy for those poor folks!

We, too, have been having trouble with things going wrong. Found that the water pump is leaking on the washer and Hubs says it's not worth fixing. He'd just installed a part for a different problem so took that back out and sent it back for a refund. It was $400 for a new washer. I'll post about it on my blog in a few days. Things aren't made to last these days and repair parts cost a lot more than they used to. It's kind of a sad commentary that it's cheaper to replace than to fix. Fills up the landfill. On the other hand... have you tried doing a search on, for instance, "Friedrichs air conditioner won't run"? There are lots of repair tips out there.

Sorry DH's neck is not all better by now. This is taking a long time to heal. Have you tried calcium supplements and some B vitamins? I can hear the worry in your words, I hope things are better soon.

I would gladly take some of that rain off your hands. We're getting our killing frost this morning.

I'll keep you two in my prayers. Hugs, Ilene

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Lorraine, I came to your blog to check on you, to see if you were getting heavy winds and rain from the hurricane. I didn't realize you had already had it, and it is on its way out.

I'm sorry about your air conditioner. I think most appliances are made to last less time than in the past. I hope you can find a way to get it to last a little longer.

Try to get some good nights' sleep. That has helped me lately. I will pray for you tonight, and do sometimes think of you and other blogging friends when I'm praying, and then ask God to be with anyone I'm not thinking of at the time.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I forgot to mention I have trouble keeping track of my keys quite often. I keep two sets around so that if I can't find one, I can usually find the other. Yesterday when I went to work, I had one set in my coat pocket, and the other I used to drive. I put one of the sets in the thingy holder in my car because I didn't want both sets with me at work. Guess where one of my sets is still? I need to remember to bring them in before I forget where they are, and misplace the other set.

I love how your DH was patient with you about locking your keys in the car. I hope his neck heals soon.

GRACE PETERSON said...

DH is still suffering from his neck injury? This has got to be so frustrating. I hope and pray relief comes soon.

It is really sad about the AC. Things just aren't made like they used to be. I hope the weather stays cool so you won't need it again until next summer.

Take care sweetie. You're in my thoughts and prayers.