Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine’s Day to all

 

Hello Folks ~ The weather down here has been perfectly gorgeous today. I basically puttered. Put the stuffed steak rolls in the crockpot early, they are smelling really yummy right now.  I steamed some fresh asparagus and made a vinaigrette sauce for them. Will fix ‘instant’ Idaho mashed potatoes.  We’ll probably have coffee ice cream for a bit of dessert.

Yesterday we went to HD and I visited the garden dept. while DH was in the electrical dept.  At first I was just going to buy a couple of inexpensive things to add to my garden, then I spied  a nice selection of roses. Uh oh. They had some knock outs, I bent over and smelled several of them and was totally disappointed in their lack of scent, at least to me I didn’t notice any.  Then, I started getting a waft on the breezes of a heavy rose scent.  I walked around the selection and finally found them.  I ended up getting Fragrant Cloud. After we got home,  I picked the lone bud and brought it in and have been enjoying that heavenly scent all day.  I did a google search after I got home and saw that this particular rose might have a bit of BS. Oh bummer.  I’ll keep my eye on it, keep it in full sun, with plenty of air circulation. Lots of wonderful reports on how wonderful the scent is and how beautiful the blooms are. A few people even wrote (some from FL) that they don’t have much of a problem with it having bs, so I hope that is true. 

The first two pics of Fragrant Cloud are from yesterday, the last one is from this morning.

02-14-fragrant-cloud-a

02-14-fragrant-cloud-b

02-14-fragrant-cloud

Chrysler Imperial

02-14-chrysler-imp

Next two, Cocktail

02-14-cocktail

02-14-cocktail2

Bon Silene

02-14-bon-silene

Bon Silene

02-14-bon-silene2

Borderer

02-14-borderer

Dainty Bess

02-14-daintybess

02-14-daintybess2

Homere

02-14-homere

Louis Philippe

02-14-louis-philippe

02-14-louis-philippe2

02-14-shed-gard

George Tabor azalea, my first bloom for this season.

02-14-george-tabor

I woke up this morning to see this opened.  What a beauty.

02-14-nancis-orchid

That’s it for now. 

Thank you all for visiting.

FlowerLady

28 comments:

Jane said...

Happy Valentine's Day Rainey! Gosh! Do you grow all those roses? No wonder you like to close yourself up behind gates. Must be like the secret garden. Have you ever heard of the Evelyn rose? It's supposed to be the one Crabtree and Evelyn use to get their rose scent in their products.

Southern Lady said...

Wish I could smell the roses! Hope you and your husband have a wonderful Valentine meal! Carla

Kit said...

Wow!!! So pretty. Have a very Happy Valentine's Day my friend. Ox Ox, Kit

Darcie said...

Happy Valentines Day FLower Lady! Thanks for sharing your beautiful flowers with us all!

Antique ART Garden said...

I hope your husband knows he is the luckiest man in the world to be married to you. If he sopesn't , tell him I said he is. Perfect wife. Happy Valentines!

Ami said...

Happy Valentine's Day, FlowerLady! That is such a pretty rose you just bought. I wish it can do very well in your garden, especially with your magic touch to roses. I don't have too much luck with Roses,but I always adore yours.

organicgardendreams said...

Dear Flowerlady, Happy Valentine's Day to you and your husband! Congratulations to the acquisition of 'Fragrant Cloud'. I love when roses have a strong fragrance, it is just such a delight for the senses. All your flower pictures are so pretty. Thanks for the treat on Valentine's Day!
Christina

janine said...

Just lovely! I love the smell of Fragrant Cloud and the clay orangy shade...so different than most...Mine was a Nelson on Fort. rootstock and I lost it early...Not sure what happened to him...but you've inspired me get another :) Thanks so much for sharing.....janine

Amrita said...

Lifted my spirit

BernieH said...

'Fragrant Cloud' is absolutely gorgeous. It's always a treat to see your Roses, and this new one is a great addition to the family. I hope you and DH had a lovely Valentine's Day.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Looks and smells like you had a great Valentine's Day, FL! xxoo Nancy

Lona said...

I am a day late but Happy Valentines. All those lovely roses for the day too.

gld said...

What a treat to see those beautiful blooms on a day like we are having....dark, cool and no sun showing. We did just get a nice rain and thunderstorm.

The lack of fragrance is what has kept me from succumbing to the Knock Outs. I vowed to not add any roses that didn't have fragrance.

I used to have Fragrant Cloud and it was a stunner.

Becca's Dirt said...

Your roses are so pretty. I always love to see the Louis Philippe and Chrysler Imperial.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi FlowerLady,
It looks like summer your way! Are all those current photos? I enjoyed the story of you looking for a rose with your nose. I hope it does well.

Thanks for your nice comment on my bloom day post. I am at the point I usually get to this time of year, where I just want spring to be here.

GRACE PETERSON said...

That's it for now? That was A LOT. I love your roses. I used to have Fragrant Cloud but the black spot got to be too much. Here's hoping you'll have better luck with it. The fragrance is incredibly isn't it? I actually get a nice scent from my red Knock Out. Probably depends on the weather and all those variables.

NanaK said...

Fragrant Cloud just sounds like it HAS to smell wonderful. But, that Dainty Bess always makes me smile when I see your photos of it. So sweet.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Your roses are beautiful
Do you spray them a lot.
I live surrounded by woods.
Some areas of sun
but ground is damp
and roses do not do well.
How do you make the steak rolls
they sound so good.
Maybe I could make 1/2 recipe
for me :)

sweetbay said...

Oh I love your pictures of Dainty Bess. How beautiful.

Jane said...

Hi Rainey! I nominated you for a blogging award. You can read about it over on my blog.

tina said...

Whenever I need a breath of fresh air and some lovely roses I can count on you to deliver via your blog. Thanks and I hope you have a great weekend.

Annie said...

Dainty Bess is my all time favourite, but I love cocktail too - oh who am I kidding - I love all of the roses

Unknown said...

Nice to hear from you. I put up a few of the gluten-free sites. Your garden is always beautiful. I love roses.

Shirley @ The Gardening LIfe said...

Hey there! I am so glad you stopped by! Fragrant Cloud is a lovely highly scented rose that is difficult for us to overwinter here in Alberta but certainly worth the effort. Air circulation is key in helping keep black spot at bay. I hope she works out well in your garden. She's a beauty as are all your roses pictured here today. You lucky flower lady! :)

Masha said...

Congratulations on your new rose purchase, and I hope it grows well for you. Thank you for the wonderful rose pictures, Louis Philippe, as usual, is my favorite.

Diana Studer said...

We share a Dainty Bess rose, mine is sulking until autumn coolth kicks in.

Diana Studer said...

what I meant to say - Flowerlady - for exactly those reasons - food scraps and a little grease - our kitchen water doesn't go thru the grey water system. We have a simple filter that catches the lint.

Georgianna said...

Roses? Already? Oh my. Lovely photos.

I have quite a few Knock Outs and the Rainbow ones don't have any fragrance but the one bush I have of original Knock Out is very fragrant.

Happy Very Late Valentine's Day!

– g