Monday, August 12, 2024

Forward Progress


Hello Friends, sorry I've not been around much.  Time is zipping right along, faster than ever it seems. We've had heat advisories almost every day for a month, maybe two months. Over the past couple of days I have 'felt' 'hints' of fall 'coming'. When my dear hubby was here I would say to him when I felt these hints, "Fall is coming." He would laugh every time, because it is the middle of August and we still have September to get through and heat and humidity can still be brutal.

I try to get out early to work from 1-3 hours depending on how hot and humid it is. My body lets me know when it's time to quit. I drink lots of water and also electrolytes. Then I hibernate. My mind still wants to work but my 75 year old body says differently. ;-)

I've been working on moving potted plants away from around my little cottage as I'm going to have the place tented for termites. This is taking time. I've also been working on extending my 'secret garden' behind the cottage to accommodate these plants.

On June 1st, my friend Sean came over and we worked for three hours. He cut down 2-3 small trees, pulled up some huge weeds. 

This photo below is how it looked before he got started. I have to say that since covid lock down in 2020,  I've been somewhat depressed and overwhelmed. Being quarantined made me just want to give up and hide.  Being alone trying to take care of this 1/4 acre gets me down at times. Things just keep growing and growing. ;-) I do mow and take care of shrubs, etc. but some stuff is just too much for me at this age. Hubby used to handle the things I couldn't. Now I seek help from others.

This is the south side of the pole barn

After ~ we started making forward progress. Miserably hot and humid. It doesn't bother Sean, he loves the heat, but it bothers me and I would have to take breaks.

 

This is the west side of the pole barn that used to have two small, and one larger, trees.

 

Neighbor's avocado tree over the back fence.


This photo is looking east toward caravan. Workshop to the very right of picture. 

It was all embarrassing to say the least. 

 


I had a fun group of young people here from my church, on the 8th of June. They worked hard on overgrowth in the miserable heat. Only 1 1/2 hours, but we were all sweating buckets and they really had accomplished lots, so I told them to quit. 

It doesn't look like this now, it looks better, although still more work to do.
 


 I am so thankful for their help, a huge blessing to me and it was fun working with them and hearing their laughter really blessed my heart. When I would thank them they would say 'It's my/our pleasure.' How kind is that?


Their work really sparked me with gumption to keep working on this new resting space.


In this area, was a shell rock base, awful to walk on.

I was sitting back there thinking before I covered up the shell rock. I looked down at it all and this will sound crazy to some of you, but I asked Jesus, my Creator, Savior and Friend, to help me find a heart. He DID!!! He shows me His love in so many ways, and this was just one more. My physical heart was made glad and I said 'Thank you!'
 


Now, to the start of this 'resting space' project. I thought I had a piece of carpet in the back small shed, looked and I did.  I bought bought 2 6x8 pieces of indoor/outdoor carpet to fill in the sides of this space.  Much better.  This is all on a very small budget and working with things I have and it felt good. This little project was started before work started on clearing the overgrowth, which you can see to the left in the photo below.


Ok, that's it for now. This is a long post, hopefully making sense, which has taken hours to edit photos and write. 

Here's a photo taken from my comfy chair the 20th of last month. Still a work in progress.


And, here is the outdoor girl I've been feeding for months now. I call her Cammie because of her camouflage coloring. She's been hanging out here for at least a couple of years. Don't know where she came from. Her cohort, Tabster, who was born on the property, disappeared a few months ago, here one day and gone the next. He was friendly, she's more timid, can't pet her yet. Hopefully one day. ;-) She gets fed twice a day.



More pics to come at a later date, of the extended 'secret garden'.

 ******

Count your blessings and may God bless you all.

FlowerLady


 

 



 

 

 
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Lorraine! It's always good to hear from you. My you do stay busy in your "secret garden." So nice you had some helpers from your church come! Cammie is a pretty little kitty. I hope she gets more friendly. Yes, God wants you to remember that you are loved A LOT! I hope you post again soon and let us know what you are up to! See you then!

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you back. Wonderful progress being made with all the help you were blessed to receive. Take each day, don't overdo it and RELAX. Your friend in GA.

Lynn and Precious said...

Lorraine, I am so glad to see your post. What work all of you have done to your growing 1/4 acre of greenery. It all grows so fast in your humid warm year round weather, that I really don't know how anyone could keep up with it. Love seeing Cammie and hope she gets used to you enough for petting soon. I know you must miss the lovely Miss Tork. Sean seems to be a very helpful and hard working friend. Church friends are to be praised and prayed for.

M.K. said...

Hello and welcome, Cammie!! She's pretty.
Rainey, you live in FLORIDA! It's a tropical rain forest, and esp. in the summer :) It's all gonna grow up around you, and all you can do is hack it back as best you can, haha. I don't know HOW you do it! If I lived at your place, I would have been overcome with vines by now, enclosed in the house and unable to exit. That cozy sitting place looks grand!

ellen b. said...

How nice to get help from folks. You have worked hard. It is good to hear from you. The coloring on the visiting cat is so interesting. Blessings!

Melanie said...

Always good to see a post from you. I haven't done a blog post in about 6 weeks, so you're not the only one. I hope this isn't a "dumb" question, but it seems your property is so much work...could you possibly sell and move into a townhouse or condo so you wouldn't have to worry about outdoor work anymore? I love your kitty visitor...what a beauty! I take care of a feral cat that comes most every night for dinner. I've tried to humanely trap him several times, to no avail. He needs to be TNR'd.

Henny Penny said...

Hey Lorraine. I don't know how you take care of everything. How nice of those young folks to come and help. I just love your place...it all looks like a secret garden, to me. I have had to limit my time outside working too. So easy to over-do it and get too hot. I just can't work like I use to, but I sure do try. You take care. So good to see you again.

The Charm of Home said...

Your progress is looking great! Take care.

Kim said...

Hey Lorraine! Your yard is looking good! It's hard to beat it back. Nature never stops!

Sallysmom said...

Hope all is well with you. Looks like we both have experienced the extreme heat this summer. Really wish those summers of long ago that weren't so hot were still here. Love to you.

R's Rue said...

God Bless you.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

I'm glad you came to my mindset! Your "resting place" is precious.
My time is spent caring for my father. His dementia is severe since a fall and surgery in March. I get very little sleep. We are falling behind our flower beds and yard work, I fear...