Monday, March 15, 2021

BOOM!!! BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.

Hello Folks ~ Thank you all for kind comments, prayers and links to websites that had exercises to help with sciatic pain. I am happy to report that I've not had pain like I did after that Sat of being on my feet for 5 hours helping with the fencing project. I still have twinges now and then, but I think working outside every morning that Juvenal is here is helping to keep me limber. Pain seems to come after I've been sitting or laying down.

Last Monday night, around 9:30 a LOUD explosion freaked me out. I jumped out of bed and looked out windows and didn't see anything. All was quiet, except for my racing heart and mind. I read again a piece from a book I'm reading by Phillip Keller, 'Strength of Soul'. I had read it a week or so back, and needed to read it again, about 'refusing to worry, just trust Jesus'. I calmed down, turned out the light and went back to sleep. Around 1:15a.m. I got up to 'tinkle' and I heard a steady beeping sound. It was coming from my driveway. It was the tree trimmer that the power company uses when they have a power outage because of limbs hitting the power lines.

This company had opened my gate and was backing in my driveway. The explosion I had heard was the transformer that had blown at the back of my property. I wasn't without power, but people to the east of me were. Tree trimmers were here about an hour, driveway ended up being filled with cut limbs. They told me the clean up crew would be there after 8 a.m. Two guys did the clean up having their huge noisy chipper in my driveway. When they were done, instead of raking up all of the small debris like they've done in the past, they 'blew' it with a leaf blower. I now have to go along the driveway and rake and bag it all up. The tree trimming was an answer to prayer as the overhanging limbs in my driveway have been a source of angst for quite some time now.

Below are pics before and now. The first two pics of are how it looked with what I could reach with my pole saw/cutter.


 
Below is after Sean did as much cutting back as he could do. The rest was all tangled in lines.


 
Below is after the tree trimmers cut limbs from power lies, and then after the clean up.





What a difference!! I wish the neighbors would just cut down that dang hibiscus tree. It grows horribly fast. My dear hubby used to keep up with keeping it cut back from our side, but with him not here now, I've just been doing what I can. The power company has sent out the tree trimmers twice, this was the third time I think. Both the night crew and the day crew said this was an awful tree because of how fast it grows.

Juvenal has carted load after load of scrap iron away from here. He was here again this morning, filled up his truck bed then hauled out brush to the pick up pile. What would have taken me many trips to get out front he did in 4-5. He has been such a blessing to me. He sometimes brings McD's breakfast and coffee. We barely speak each other's language, when I have to say 'more' than I know, I google a translator and that works great. I just copy and paste. ;-) He makes sure I drink plenty of water and rest. He told me the other day that he wants to make this place pretty for me. He and I both say 'Gracias Dios' off and on.

The other day when he was here tears started as I was sitting in an area he was working in. I had to leave the space. He wanted me to be there, cleared a stool for me to sit on, that way I can tell him what he can have and what I might want. When he saw me with tears he told me not to cry, it makes his heart hurt.

What I am showing is 'part of the ugly' of the property. Remember, my hubby has been gone a little over 8 years now, and I've not been near this stuff. I know he is 'glad' that I'm finally getting rid of the 'junk'. God has worked it all out to happen when it has, and for Juvenal and myself. I am oh so thankful!!


The hook laying on the rotting wood floor space is what got to me. My hubby 'hooked' me and the hook just spoke to my heart for some reason. The aluminum piece is a claw of some sort and then there's the wrought iron old light fixture.


Below are some rusty, crusty iron stems, leaves and flowers probably from another light fixture.


Now for some of what's blooming here, there's a lot more, but I'm ready for a nap, so I'll wrap this post up.




Saturday is the first day of spring and also my 72nd bday. A friend has invited me to her place for bday lunch and I am looking forward to that. I'll try to remember to take pics while there.

Thank you all for your friendship, kind and helpful comments and prayers.

May God bless you and keep you safe.

FlowerLady


23 comments:

Vee said...

That was a wild happening in the night. I'm glad that it became a providential reversal. Now I must look back to see how Juvenal showed up. Sounds as if he is a great help and blessing.

A happy birthday on the first day of spring. You and your friend will have a good day.

Olde Dame Holly said...

I am thankful the trees did touch the wires, so that the cutting crew came out and helped. And Juvenal must be Heaven-sent! We have a very nice man from Mexico help us out doing many things. I don't think there is any handy work he cannot do! Your flower photos are lovely as always. Pre-Birthday Wishes to you!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a blessing to have such good help, and for God's providential assistance. Little by little it is all coming together, and I believe God is orchestrating it all for you. It's okay to let the tears fall...they are tears of relief and bittersweet joy mingled together. God saves our tears in a bottle...(Psalm 56:8) He knows our sorrows and wants to give us the oil of joy for mourning, and beauty for ashes...(Isaiah 61) God bless you dear one.

Henny Penny said...

Oh, noises in the night like that are so scary! Glad it did get you some help with cutting back everything. It is so pretty there where you live. Things must grow like crazy. Your flowers are so pretty. Hope you have a very Happy Birthday!

Homemaker's Heart said...

Hello there! You have been on my mind a lot lately, and I got the last 6 months posts all in one email tonight. Oh my, where do I start. The blessings God gives you, just inspire me. And your faith. I really loved your Christmas photos, the manger scene was my favorite. And as always, I so much, enjoy your flowers. I can almost smell them.

Here in Colorado we don't have any flowers yet. Not for a couple more months. It's a lovely retreat to see yours.

Thank you for sharing your events. You are always in my prayers. OH! Your neighbors helping, that was an awesome Gift!! God is so good to us. When we try and do our part , He always meets us there. We just have to seek Him, right?

Hugs to you,
Dee (homemakers heart)

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello Lorraine. So glad that Juvenal is such a kind and helpful man. You are really getting a lot done on your property. I probably would not have gone back to sleep all night after all the racket from the explosion and the middle of the night tree trimmers. So glad you are OK. Have a wonderful week and a good birthday!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

So glad that you are feeling a little bit better and that you are getting some help from some very kind people. Such a blessing. The explosion must have been so scary, but glad that it all turned out good and you even got some trimming done! You are dealing with a lot and I can understand the emotions of seeing your dear husbands gatherings being hauled off, but now you can have some clear space to do what you want when it is done. Lovely blooms xx Hugs

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, and Happy Birthday, dear lady! Hope you have a lovely day! xx K

Lynn and Precious said...

It is going to be a wonderful relief to have your whole yard changed by
the clean up, the new fence, and the power company tree trimming. It is
a lot going on at one time, but I bet you'll feel relief when it is finished
and you look around.
Glad your power wasn't out, but marvelous that the transformer was on your
property to get the free trim job.
Love the roses. I have had my one in a pot in the dark garage all winter.
It did not lose it's leaves and I put it outside last week when we had temps
above freezing for the first time. It dropped to 22 Sunday night, but I left
it out and it looks good today.
Happy Birthday and have fun with lunch with your friend! You deserve a
great day, Lorraine. Lynn and Precious XX

crafty cat corner said...

Happy Birthday for when it arrives and hope you have a lovely day. You must be so pleased to get that foliage cut down, it looks so much better now.
Briony
x

firefly819 said...

Happy Birthday dear sweet flower lady. May God bless you and help you find peace. Juvenal was sent to you for a reason. Let go of the rusty, old stuff and make way for more beautiful, lovely scented flowers. This is an opportunity to grow with your blooming garden. Your flower photos often make my day and help me get through the cold, dreary, winter days in Michigan

Terry said...

Hi Lorraine! I have not had your blog in my in-box in months. I see that you have been blogging but I have not received a post until this one. I am glad you are well. That was quite a night you had last night. I hope you have a very happy birthday!
Terry

Kit said...

Hello my friend! The good Lord knew what he was doing when he sent you Juvenal. What a blessing. I am glad he is there to help you out. We had a transformer do the same thing behind our house. This time it was a squirrel who was where he shouldn't. Large bang and a dead squirrel. Poor thing. You take care and have a Happy Birthday. Love, KK 💕

M.K. said...

It's amazing that there are power lines in amongst all that "foliage"! It must be a challenge for the power company to stay ahead of it at all. Glad all is well, and you got some free trimming :)
What a blessing Juvenal is to you! I know he is blessed too. God is doing some necessary "surgery" for you, on you, and it is not easy, but it is a must. All good things need pruning. May you be very happy with the results of all your labor, and even the cleaning out of things that make you cry.

Melanie said...

I'm glad your back is feeling better. And that your property is getting cleaned up...the trees AND the "junk". Juvenal sounds like he is heaven-sent.

xoxo

ellen b. said...

Juvenal sounds like a sweetheart. Glad you have some help. Happy early birthday to you. Happy to hear you will celebrate with a friend. Our dear granddaughter's birthday is on the 20th, too. She will be 4. I enjoyed my 70th this past Sunday.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh my! WHen something unexpected happens, how we miss our husband. i am glad you have help with the clean-up. He sounds like a wonderful caring person.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, that red rose is beautiful! I really related to your post today, Lorraine, because I've had much work done around here too. And I appreciate the workers so much, especially the painter who does little jobs for me as well. There was a big mess of debri left in the back yard, and when I moved here, it was up to me to find someone to pick it all up and haul it to the dump. Getting help here in the mountains is hard, but my brother found a few good people, so I'm grateful. Happy 72 Birthday to you, that's special, indeed. So glad that loud explosion in the middle of the night was nothing serious. I enjoy seeing all and everything that's going around your neck of the woods. You take care of your house inside and out, and I know how much you appreciate your home.

~Sheri

Rebecca said...

Happy birthday tomorrow! 🎂
I DO love the iron pieces you've spotlighted...Also recognize the living provision of the Heavenly Father protecting you and helping you get ahead of the growth and clean up...❤️

gretchenjoanna said...

My, what a lot of changes! All in "good time," and for the good.

I know how you feel, looking at those things that had to do with your husband. I just opened a book the other day in which my husband had made notes and underlined. It really struck me, seeing his "marks"!

And I'm happy your back is better. XO

Terra said...

What a fright in the night to hear the loud boom or explosion; good thing we have Jesus to steady us. In hindsight that was good because the power company did a lot of pruning, etc. I understand how tears come at unexpected moments that remind us of hubby. Be well sweet friend.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

I'm glad you are getting everything all cleaned up. I'm glad you are happy with what the tree guys did. They don't do such a great job around here. Happy Belated Birthday. Hope you had a wonderful day with your friend..Stay well. I'm sorry to hear about your sciata pain. That is no fun, talking from experience..xxoJudy

Leslie Kimel said...

Juvenal sounds so sweet. So glad he is helping you. I hope you had a happy birthday and that you are enjoying the springtime.