Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Trees trimmed

Hello Folks ~ Here it is the second day of February. Yesterday we had LOTS of wind all day, through the night and it is still windy this morning, although, not as bad as it was yesterday. The sun is shining at the moment. Right now at 10:23 EST it is 52 degrees but real feel is 48. 

On my way back to house after feeding my barn girls, I noticed greenery laying across the back of the driveway. I looked closer and realized that the dead pine tree that the wonderful night blooming Cereus cactus was growing on, was standing no more. Sean mentioned cutting it down when he was here on Friday, well, the wind blowing it down saved him some work, except for cutting it up now. Below is the tree being encroached on by the neighbor's trees. The cactus was at the top.

What a bummer to not have these beautiful cactus blooms anymore, unless, I break off bits to put somewhere else. But, do I really want to deal with that heavy cactus again. Maybe not. Where would I put it? It was for a season.
 




Amazing how three different tree projects happened in a stretch of 4 days. Sean came over on Friday and worked from around 9:30-4:30, we had a light lunch and I took several breaks. :-)

Here's the driveway in November


I kept trimming what I could to keep the limbs off vehicles that come here.


Driveway now after Sean's hard work.






 
 Piles for me to cart out front to be picked up. Pick up is one day a week.


 
Here is the downed pine tree. You can see it to the left in the photo above.


Sean was here Friday, then the tree trimmer to cut down the 'rattle' tree came Sat. morning. In one hour he and his partner had it cut down, cut up into small sections and stacked. I will be carting it all out front to be picked up. (A little at a time.)




Excuse the junk, old fencing etc., it will be all cleared away. There's more iron, etc. that will go also and I will be oh so glad. My neighbor who paid to have this tree cut down said, it all didn't get here in one day, it took years, and it won't get taken care of in one day, but it will be gone. That was kind of him to say and encouraging. A week or so back, he did give me $ to pay for the rest of fence sections (5) to finish off fencing project between us. Sean and Stan will be back to work on that when they have a free Sat. They both have jobs.

Look at all of those dang seed pods. I know that Ervin is so glad that tree was cut down before the three days of wind happened or else he'd be cleaning up the pods all over his property. They are here for me to deal with. ;-)


 So, now the clean up and cart out starts, a little at a time. I just do what I can til my body says stop.

Below is a picture of the caravan which looks kind of neat with the path going to it through the wandering Jew - Tradescantia zebrina - ground cover.


Below are some of the blooms happening here at Plum Cottage.










And, a couple of hearts that showed up for me to enjoy and put a smile on my face.



I started this post yesterday, finishing it up this morning. Low this morning 45, real feel 41, inside around 60. The sun is shining, there's little or no wind, I've not been outside yet. I hope to vacuum today and bake a loaf of banana bread.

Whatever you do today, seek good and beauty. Call on 'The Shepherd' to be your help, guide, comfort, strength, provider, and healer.

Love, hugs and prayers, 

FlowerLady

21 comments:

Lynn and Precious said...

Oh my gosh, Lorraine. What kind of "pod" tree was that. It reminds me of
Kentucky Coffee Bean tree,because of the size and number of pods. So sorry
to see the Cerecus on the ground and thankfully that dead tree appears to not
have destroyed any of your buildings or the new fence. I'd say you and Sean
are busy at work and making great headway. Love the flower photos of course.
Stay strong spiritually and bodily. Always glad to see your posts. Lynn

Nancy J said...

Those who help with hard chores are such a blessing, our friend Joyce's nephew Claude has been here each weekend, finishing painting the windows, frames, and all the kitchen ceiling and walls. Now he will waterblast the outside wooden walls, and prime and paint them. He put new window latches on, the brass ones with long handles, And that night I opened and shut them so easily.So, just like your driveway. all things take time but at the end what a delight to see it tidy and to have a pick-up to collect the rubbish is a huge bonus.Love your flowers, was the first one a Tibouchina?

Olde Dame Holly said...

I get a catch in my throat when I visit your blog and see your yard. It's like looking at home, in the old New Orleans and Destin, Florida areas. The flora and fauna is the same! And it always grew so thick and lush. It was hard to keep up with, even in winter. You are making such progress with the help of your friends and neighbor. What is that Rattle tree? A locust of some type? I used to do battle with a huge mimosa. What a mess it made! But I loved the scent.

ellen b. said...

Wow! That's a lot of work. How nice that you have a weekly pick up! Those pods are something else. Lots of bending over work. Pace yourself! :)
You have many beautiful flowers blooming! Happy February to you.

Anne Payne said...

Whoa, my friend!! That was a huge cactus and so beautiful!!! I know it will sad to not see it blooming so beautifully anymore. Such a lot of work in paradise but the Lord just keeps on equipping and providing. Praise Him!!!
{[hugs}}

Red Rose Alley said...

There's a lot of green around your area this time of year. It's really something how much work you do around your house to make it look nicer. I'm starting to do that here living in the mountains. There's always something to do, isn't there? That Purple Morning Glory is beautiful. The cactus blooms are a unique flower. I haven't seen them before. Wow, what a nice surprise the hearts were that you came across.

I hope you have wonderful February days, Lorraine. It's always a pleasure to visit you and see what's happening in your world.

~Sheri

Ann Thompson said...

Wow lots of work going on there. How nice that you have the help with all this

Ruth Hiebert said...

I am glad you are getting help with maintaining your property. I know that I would not be able to keep up with mine and things don’t even grow as fast as they do for you. Of course I always enjoy seeing your flowers.Stay well and stay safe.

Rebecca said...

Lots of plum going in there! And I was delighted to see the caravan.
I bet you sleep good at night!😊

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh my! What a lot of work you have been doing and having done! I love the night blooming cereus and would love to have some of it if I could drive down there and get it! LOL. My parents had that growing up the trunk of one of their pine trees when I was growing up, and what an adventure it was at night when it bloomed! We'd all traipse out of bed with flashlights and the back yard light on, and stand in awe of the huge white blossoms that opened up only at night! If you didn't see it at night, you missed it! It was quite the event! Thank you for bringing back that memory for me. You are blessed to have Sean and his friend to help you with your work. And your flowers are all so lovely. Yes, it is cold here too. We are in north central Florida, and it is supposed to freeze tonight possibly. Just when things were starting to look a bit springy!! Take care and don't overdo it!! God bless you!

Susan Zarzycki said...

Love the cactus flowers and the beautiful morning glories! Your yard will make you happy once it’s finished.❤️

NanaDiana said...

Wow! What a difference a few days work can make. I love that night bloomer. So pretty. I forget how lush and tropical everything is in FL. We do not get to that point because winter kills so much off that it doesn't have time to 'take over'. I am so glad that you have someone that can help you and that you like him, too. That's a bonus! xo Diana

Leslie Kimel said...

I love the photo of the caravan! It looks so cute and magical surrounded by all the greenery. Love all your flower photos too!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Such a blessing to have strong hands to help you out, Lorraine! The driveway looks very nice - all neat and tidy, but oh, so much work and still more to go. So sad about the cactus - hopefully you can get some starts growing and keep it blooming someplace where you can keep it in bounds. The new fence looks nice, but oh my - all those pods to pick up! Hopefully you can rake them to make it easier. Lovely blooms you have shared with us today. So nice to see flowers. I like your new header :) Hugs xo Karen

Dewena said...

You have so much work left to do, please do listen to your body and pace yourself. It will be wonderful for you to have so much more light. Our son is working in St. Pete this week and sent me video of the storm and high winds. I'm thankful the tree that came down didn't fall on your house or car. Be careful working!

Kit said...

Look at all those trimmings! Take care and stay safe. Love, KK

gretchenjoanna said...

The way things grow there in Florida!! If God did not send you workers to help, you'd be buried in vines and foliage long ago. It's a little intimidating for me to think about even vicariously, all that life force soaking up the sun and moisture and multiplying at breakneck speed!

Hootin Anni said...

Wish I lived nearby, I'd take some of the cactus from your hands! I live all your blossoms shared today!

A Joyful Cottage said...

Sean did a great job, Lorraine. Your driveway looks beautiful. I know keeping up with your lush property keeps you busy, and at times I'm sure it's overwhelming, but it brings so much pleasure to me and many others when you share all the beauty of creation. I pray it brings much pleasure to you, as well. Is that first bloom a Morning Glory? Hugs, Nancy

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Lorraine, your yard is looking so good. Looks like so much less work for you to do, after carting the limbs out front. You have a great neighbor it sounds like. The fencing is beautiful as well as your gorgeous flowers..Stay well and remember to take it slow..xxoJudy

Morning's Minion said...

A joy to scroll through the close up photos of your flowers on this day of bleak winter in Kentucky. I've been hoping for a sunny afternoon to do a bit of pruning and tidying, but we are in a slump of cold wet weather. Still there are seed catalogs--a temptation to plan and plant more than I can tend when the season turns again to spring.