Monday, September 10, 2018

More thankfulness

Good Monday morning Folks ~ well, it’s that for me here in s.e. FL. It’s a little after 6 a.m. and I’ve been up since around 4. Just couldn’t fall back to sleep.

Last week was a week of unexpected things. First off, I went out Tuesday to go visit an elderly widow friend and my van was ‘dead’. I called my mechanic and he was able to come out later, used his tool to assess the problem, a dead battery, not the starter, which was a blessing. I am thankful I was home sweet home when this happened and not out somewhere. I was able to pay for it and van is up and running again.

Friday I got a text from my dear BIL, Todd, saying he could come the next morning to do baseboard in the living room. I texted back that it sounded good to me. He got here around 8:45 a.m. I thought he was going to do the west wall only, but he was ready to do the south and hallway also, jobs that hubby and I didn’t get finished before he left this planet. So, while he set up his saw in the driveway, I moved furniture away from the south wall, I had already cleared the west wall.

09-08-liv-rm-wreck

09-08-baseboard

We were standing next to the south wall when I asked him if we could take the large oval mirror off the wall and I could paint behind it and we could hang it up before he left, then I could finish painting the wall later this week. He suggested we do it right then. I could roll and he would cut in. I started crying, relief and joy at the unexpected offer. I thanked him as we hugged and told him it was mine and DH’s 49th anniversary and this was a wonderful way to celebrate the day. He was glad and also said he doesn’t remember anyone else’s anniversary but his own. He said women were good at things like that. My second thing to be thankful for.

The painting and baseboard was done in a little over 2 hours. He had been able to fit the media stand they were giving me into his vehicle along with his tools. (When they moved they no longer wanted this or two matching bookcases, I said I’d like to have them since they were giving them away.) So, the next project was to set up the media stand and he said “Let’s hook up your TV and stereo equipment.” That all took longer than the painting and wallboard. I do need another ‘new’ cable or two to get my surround sound totally hooked up, but at least it’s partially giving me sound, just not the full realm of it. Getting this project done was another reason for thankfulness.

I love this stand and it holds my equipment nicely. I decided against setting up the VCR. I won’t watch those old movies, etc. so more decluttering, which feels GREAT.

This TV was bought and given to me by friends last year, which is what caused my room remodel. (I am thankful for their gift.)  I can hardly wait for the two matching bookcases to be on either side of this set up, with a mantle between over the TV.  I had told Todd I wanted a mantle over the TV, and he asked “What for?” I answered, “Stuff” and started laughing. He asked what I was laughing about and he said ‘my question’? I said yes. I said my women friends online would know the ‘why’. The doors in this media stand have beveled glass which makes it nice and I just love the color of this piece. DH and I have always loved the dark wood tones and I still do.

09-08-media-stand

I just love the ‘bleached linen’ paint by Behr from Home Depot. To me it most definitely has a ‘hint of joy in the color. To Todd, it looked like a shade of white, which it is, but it’s not pure white by any means. The other two samples I had tried were in the blue range and seemed dull to me, when I had originally thought one of those would be my choice. Painting large samples on the wall and living with that for a few days helped make the right choice for me.

The color isn’t this dark on the wall, but you can see the difference between it’s color and the wall on the left/east, which I hope to paint this week and a little bit on the north wall to finish this room off. What a joy that will be!!! Another reason to be thankful.

09-08-so-wall

Here is Miss Tork. She found a spot to rest amidst the chaos of the day. She was hiding until Todd left. The portable compressor and the air gun for the baseboard were too much for her. As soon as all was quiet again out she came. I am thankful for my dear little companion.

09-08-miss-t

It’s starting to get light out, my stomach is telling me it’s time for some breakfast. After breakfast I want to get a whole chicken (minus the breasts which I’ll use for another recipe) in the crockpot. Laundry needs to be done also if it’s going to be a clear day. Then I want to caulk the baseboard, and paint it after caulking has dried.

Oh yea, another thing to be thankful for was I finally got to use my new electric lawnmower and it worked just great. It’s cute and I love the green color. I do have to clean the underbody after every use which is kind of a pain, but I did read that you can wipe it down with  vegetable oil to keep grass from sticking. Smile

This view is looking north, I’m standing at the gate.

09-06-lawnmover

This is looking south. Gates need cleaning after all of the rain we’ve had.

09-06-drway-front

This is the little patch of front lawn.

09-06-front

Below I’m standing in the back turn around area looking south.

09-06-drway-south

This is looking toward where I was standing for picture above. You can see some high grass back at the end. I was pooped and needed to make sure there weren’t any pinecones or other debris from when the tree trimmers had been here so I quit. PLUS, bees have made a hive inside of the tail end of the fish hanging on the fence. Don’t know what I’m going to do about that.

09-06-driveway-back

This is where I park.

09-06-back-parking

This is looking southwest, all in all, it takes about an hour for me to mow my property.

09-06-caravan

Ok, that’s it for now. Time for breakfast and then to commence with projects for the day.

Thank you all for your love, prayers and encouragement. It means a lot to me.

I am always thankful

that

“Love is Forever”.

09-07-wc-us

FlowerLady

38 comments:

lil red hen said...

I loved our early morning visit!! Now I need to get my mid-morning snack, listen to the Bible lesson, and then get to work. Have a happy day, and don't work too hard!

Cheryl said...

Your thankful heart is an encouragement! Our Father gives us so many gifts!

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

You do have a lot to be thankful for, Lorraine! How lovely to have all that help to get stuff done around the house, I know how thankful you were for that!

Nancy J said...

An Anniversary full of love and thankfulness. Your garden is lovely, and inside, what a helping hand you had, the mirror, the TV cabinet, love that wood too.All is well down here.XXX

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is so wonderful when God sends those special blessings our way.I'm happy for you.

Ann said...

What a nice way to spend your anniversary. I imagine your husband is looking down on you and feeling thankful that you were able to get so much accomplished. You certainly had a busy day. Love that media stand.

Dewena said...

Your brother-in-law sounds like such a nice, caring person. And I know he makes all of us glad to know that you're getting the help you need with projects. I think help comes your way because you are such a thoroughly nice woman, and such a hard worker yourself. (Besides the fact that the heavenly Father is watching over you!) I liked seeing around your property, Lorraine. You may have a small lot but you do have a lot of work to do or it could get beyond you, I imagine, especially in a growing climate like you live in.

I love your paint color and that beautiful mirror!

ellen b. said...

Ahh...glad to read about all the things you are thankful for. What a sweet gift of service from your brother in law! You are surrounded by lovely green at your property. Glad the electric mower came and works well also that you got your van fixed and it was an easy fix!

Morning's Minion said...

So many reasons to give thanks. I'm especially glad for you that when your van was balky it was in your own driveway! For many years my husband's work took him away--sometimes for a few days, often for several weeks. It seemed that anything that had been waiting to break down did so almost as soon as he left.
Family and friends who come to help are a blessing--we can never repay them for their generosity.

Terra said...

You are such a sweetie to be thankful for all the solutions to problems you have received. Your BIL is a treasure, and your living room is looking very nice.

Out on the prairie said...

lovely home, I like the cat shot best.

Anne Payne said...

It's such a blessing to have someone close by that can help out with some of the 'bigger' things. Your yard looks great. Yay for an electric mower! Much love to you, my friend!!! We are prepping for Florence this week.

Terry said...

Hi Lorraine!

Sounds like divine intervention sent your wonderful brother-in-law on just the right day. Your home looks beautiful! I was looking at the photo of Miss Tork when suddenly I noticed the pillow. My heart leaped with joy.

Love,
Terry

Dianna said...

I'm so glad that you had such great help with the painting and everything else that there was to do the day your brother-in-law came by. Glad that your new lawnmower is working well.

The Wykeham Observer said...

You've accomplished a lot with the new paint job. Paint works a lot of miracles. Thanks to your BIL also for being so diligent. Always fun to see progress. Take care. Phil/Minnesota

bj said...

Mercy...you have really been busy...your paint job looks so good...I did the same when I repainted...painted several large patches to live with until I made up my mind. My color is like yours, white but not a harsh or glaring white. I just love it.

Yard work is hard...since I live behind my son's home, he does all the mowing on a riding mower..

I, too, have so much to be thankful for and so many blessings.
xoxo

Henny Penny said...

You have such a pretty and cozy little place. I like that linen paint color, and the darker wood. Darker wood is what I want now too. Seems like everything in our cabin was in golden oak and I'm so tired of it. That is a cute little mower.

Sandra said...

I just love your beautiful heart :) You indeed had a lot to be thankful for that day, I love days where everything just falls into place and you know for sure that God is watching and maneuvering from above.

Hubby and I have always loved the darker wood tones too.

Hope you have a good weekend :)

Leslie Kimel said...

What a productive day and satisfying day! I really love the artwork you included at the end of the post--it's such a charming and touching portrait. And, of course, Miss Tork is the cutest!

jerilanders said...

I think your Brother in law is tops! How good of him to help you out when you need a hand.
I'm glad it only takes one hour to mow your yard, good exercise too. Soon, James won't need to mow any more for the year, I am relieve as it takes him 4 or 5 hours to get it all!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Your brother-in-law is very sweet to help you and everything looks very nice so far. Miss Tork knows the coziest place to claim as her own! Your little mower is the perfect thing to keep things tidy, too. Your dear husband would be very proud of you <3 xo Karen

Melanie said...

I love hearing how your BIL helps you out. He deserves the BIL of the year award! He sounds like an amazing man. It makes me happy to hear about the blessings in your life and how thankful you are for them, despite the pain of missing your beloved husband. We can still be thankful and find some joy despite our pain, can't we? I know some days are better than others, but that's normal. Big hugs to you, dear friend!

Mrs. White said...

I am so happy you got some help from such a wonderful person! I love the pictures and enjoyed hearing about your day. God bless you!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, Trying to catch up a bit after our wonderful trip out west...

Your brother-in-law is so special... SO glad you have him around to help you. You have done a lot in your special little home --and I know you are proud of it... Lookin' SO good.

Take care and stay cool. It is STILL hot here in TN even though it's Sept. 20...

Hugs,
Betsy

outlawgardener said...

You've been busy and the results are wonderful. So happy that your home projects are getting done.

Deborah Montgomery said...

So many things to be thankful for! Your brother-in-law sounds wonderful. I agree with Karen; your husband would be proud of how you're carrying on with things and keeping a grateful heart. xo Deborah

June said...

Bless your wonderful BIL for his lovely service to you Lorraine! It makes my heart happy to know that it made your Anniversary special for you! You both accomplished so much. I love this beautiful painting!!!

sending love to you...

Rock rose said...

How lucky you are to have such helpful people around you. It certainly helps one get through the difficult times in our life.

Kit said...

So glad you are getting things done around the place. It is looking wonderful. I love your new mower. So cute! Love, KK

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Wow, Lorraine. You have a lot of property there, don't know how you keep up! Have a wonderful day. xo

Rebecca said...

I have NO idea how I missed this his full and precious Pat! The timing of your bil's visit and all the work accomplished are so very special. I'm happy with you.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Truly so much to be thankful for, indeed! How wonderful that this sweet blessing in the way of help inside your home came on your anniversary too! It always feels so good to get projects out of the way that you have been wanting to do for so long! Your yard looks wonderful after mowing it, and it is great that the electric lawn mower is working out for you. Hope you are having a lovely and wonderful week :)

Eggs In My Pocket said...

You teach us all there is much to always be thankful for! How wonderful to have help inside of your home........hugs to you on your anniversary. Yard work is hard ........but so worth it when it turns out so pretty!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Lorraine, I got to thinking about you when they were talking about the hurricane today. I am not remembering what part of Florida you are in. Be safe!

I have been neglecting blog reading due to spending so much time on FaceBook.

I am glad you were able to get things done with the help of your brother-in-law.

My Grama's Soul said...

Good morning Loraine...it does seem like there is always something to do in keeping up a home and property. You are doing a good job on your own keeping things going. You do have a lovely piece there and the fact that you still putter around fluffing it up speaks loads about your hard work ethic and love of where you live.

hugs to you.

Jo

Terra said...

Hi Lorraine, I am just popping in to see how you are and to tell you I am praying Hurricane Michael stays away from you and Plum Cottage, and that people in the area it is going are safe. Hugs to you.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Lorraine,
I just turned on the TV for today and am seeing all of the winds and rain going on in Florida. I immediately came here to your to see about you.

I don't know if you are in the hurricane area or not, but I wanted you to know I am thinking of you and hoping that you, your kitty, and Plum Cottage are not in the storm. I also hope your brother in law and sister in law are safe.

Your newly painted and decorated home is looking lovely.

Take care.

Susie D

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

Happy belated anniversary! I'm glad you have Miss Tork to help you celebrate. The paint color is fabulous...I'd love to have my entire house painted that color...but not today -grin-.