Sunday, August 16, 2015

May Day Flower pots ~ 2005


A few of you asked about the huge shell encrusted flower pots so I though I would share the story again.

This adventure begins on a Friday morning before I left for work, when DH came back from Home Depot and said “there are two flower pots I think you are going to want in a trash pile. But ... they are huge.” He said “Let's go look at them”, so off we went.

We had passed these pots for years and years. They were on either side of a driveway and evidently new owners didn't want them. These pots are about 40 years old.

When I saw them I wanted to cry because they were just too heavy for us to deal with. We came back home, and I got ready for work. DH went up the street and asked a road crew if they could help and he would pay them. He talked to three different people, and the boss said lets look at them and after looking at them, he said he'd be back at such and such a time. Well, he never showed and that was very disappointing. We thought maybe the guy would show up on Sat. but he didn't.

It happened to be trash pick up day too on Friday, so we had no idea if they'd be around after the trucks came along picking up. DH and I both said if these are meant to be ours then they would be, if not, then that's just the way it goes. We didn't really NEED these, but we did hate the thought of them going out to the land fill and just get broken and buried. He went by Sat. morning and saw that everything had been picked up but the pots. When I went by on the way home from work, I saw them there still with another pile of brush and trash growing also.

Saturday night as we were sipping a glass of pre-dinner wine, DH thought of using our a.c. jack. I went out to where it was to check what weight it would hold and it said 500 lbs. We got in the car and went to where these monster pots were and took measurements of the things so that DH could figure out how much concrete was in them and how much they would weigh. He figured 370 lbs. each So we got all excited about doing this project and since it was going to be Sunday morning when we'd be doing this we knew the traffic would be light and it would be quiet, so decided to get up early. Early wasn't the word for it. DH woke up around 4 and couldn't go back to sleep for thinking about how to do this thing so we got up. Got things loaded into the truck, had one cup of coffee and took off.

The morning happened to be the first day of May, May Day, the air was breezy, we could hear roosters crowing in the neighborhood and we hoped for a smooth move of these pots.

Of course, I made sure I grabbed the digital camera (floppy disk back then), and here are the pictures from our adventure.


First we/he had to cut the roots that had grown out the bottoms of these pots, and that took some energy and time. We hadn't eaten our 'Wheaties' either so were going along on that one cup of coffee and adrenaline. It looks like ancient jasmine in these pots. I don't need them as I've got them in several places around here.

Here's DH starting to saw away the roots. You can see that it was still dark out when we started on this project.


By now it is lighter and you can see how the a.c. jack was used.  There are two handles that you crank up or down and the heavy wire cable.


Next we backed up the van to the pot and then let the jack down, and tied the jack to the pot and took off for home. (We live a few blocks away, so didn’t have far to go.)

Here we are back at home and you can see how the jack was just barely off the road.


One happy curbside shopper. Smile 

DH was right when he said I was going to want these pots.


Here the pots are close to where we wanted to stand each one.


Lots of shells on these, some were broken by whoever took them up from where they had been sitting on either side of the driveway. We just put the worst sides to the back.



DH figured out how to get the root bound plant out of the pot, once again using the a.c. jack.


That a.c. jack is a wonderful tool.  We’ve used it for hauling roofing materials up onto the roof, and projects like this May Day Flowerpots project.

Looking at these pictures and remembering the whole thing just makes me love my DH all the more. He was always figuring out how to make, build, recycle, etc. ever since he was a boy. 


Here is how we rolled them into place. Pipes and lumber.


The photos below are after October 2005 ~ After Hurricane Wilma passed over. Scariest storm we ever went through. Our house was safe and we thanked God for that. We did have a heavy limb fall onto the workshop roof and poked a hole in it, but again we were thankful it wasn’t any worse.



Ah ha, now that I look at these pictures, you can see the plum color on the  buildings. Which is what I am going for again. Smile

You can see the top of the pine on the left top of shed, hanging over the neighbors back yard. DH and another neighbor cut the tree up with a chain saw.


Here I am in the neighbors yard before we started hauling branches out of that yard into our own.


Here is the ‘caravan’ before it was the caravan. Smile We popped the top, I cleaned it up inside enough to cook in. We were without power for 13 days and having the propane gas stove was great. This was just some of the pine limbs from the tree that went into the shed.


In picture below the pine is still in the shed as you can see it just above the blue tarp.  By the way, during the eye of Wilma, DH was up on the roof putting that blue tarp on. While he was up there I felt a change in the atmosphere and told him to come on, the back side of the storm is coming, and we no sooner got back inside and the ferocious winds started in again. It was AWFUL! But, we survived, thanks be to God. Going through an eye of a storm is amazing, you wouldn’t even think there was a storm anywhere around, but indeed it was all around.


More of pine cut so that it finally was out of the shed so that we could cover the roof and patch the wall temporarily. We didn’t do any work on the shed for awhile as we were depressed. But, with time, inspiration struck and work began.


DH restored the little shed and here is the latest photo taken this week, 10 years later. I’ll have to show you what we did on the wall that was damaged in another post.


So, now you have the shell flower pot story, plus a little bit of Hurricane Wilma’s story.

We put pink muhly grass in the pots. Pretty in the fall/winter.



This sure sent me down memory lane. Some tears and laughter as I look back and think on things we did together.


DH took a piece of one of the melaleuca tree limbs that came down in the three hurricanes we had to deal with 2004-2005, and made this heart for me.



Love is forever.


Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing this fascinating and true story.I can see where the telling of this would stir so many memories and bring some tears as well.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

You have me ready to cry at the end...I am missing him too, with you! What a wonderful and interesting story ...he was quite clever to think up that solution in the end and how beautiful they are; I can see why you wouldn't want to see them destroyed.

Scary hurrican pictures and I was thinking about you when reading an Internet news story...I think it was yesterday or the day before. Army Rangers struck by lightning in Fla. and the story went on to explain how bad the lightning is there. I remember your post about that and I understood it much more after reading the Ranger Story :(

Val said...

I love this--all of this.

Leslie Kimel said...

I'm so glad you rescued those awesome pots--what a great story and wonderful memory!

lil red hen said...

A wonderful post! Thanks so much for sharing; you made me feel I was a part of this adventure.

Mrs. Mac said...

I so enjoyed walking down memory lane with you. Great pots, wooden heart .. and a lot of effort to get those pots moved! Your DH must have enjoyed the conquer! I bet you miss him dearly. Much love, Mrs. Mac

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Thanks for sharing a bit of your life experience. Your husband was my husband's kind of man. Always able to find a solution to any situation and willing to do what he knew would make me happy.
Much love to you Rainey.

Jane said...

Your DH was so clever, I bet he could have figured out how to build the pyramids. Hurricane season must be frightening for you. That heart was is so sweet, it must bring you a lot of happiness. I'm glad you rescued those pots, they are perfect for your little paradise.


CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Lorraine, I am back from some time away from the computer and what a wonderful way to start my new week. This post is beautiful. Not for the damage of the storm, but the love between you and your DH and how it can conquer all. Love reading how you captured the shell pots from ruin and gave them a new home. How gorgeous they look with the plant you added. The shed is adorable.
Where there's a will, there's a way and I love the creative spirit you two had for bring those heavy pots home. Your hubby was remarkable and so talented.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Have a special day.
Hugs and Blessings, cm

June said...

This post is a gem dear Lorraine. I am married to the same kind of man and how blessed I feel. He is always doing something special for me and finding ways to make my life better. I loved this story of these amazing pots and how you got them home. Your DH was so dear to get these home for you.
I also was amazed by all the damage Wilma did to your place when it went through all those years ago. That is a lot of cleanup!
sending hugs...

janiceflorida said...

I'm so glad I got to hear ' the rest of the story'. Your DH was rare in these times, so happy to say I have one just like him. Electric, plumbing, roofing, you name it, he does it. I can't remember a time we've paid anyone to do anything for us, except to cut some large oak limbs from over the house. Believe me , I had to INSIST on that, because he's in his seventies now. A beautiful story, love can move mountains...and flower pots. Thank you for sharing.

BeachGypsy said...

Oh Lorraine I just loved this story! And felt like I was right there alongside yall as you were figuring out how to get your treasures home! Those big pots are amazing and such precious memories attached! I love what you planted in them too. Sure enjoyed this story and thank you for sharing!

Terry said...


Thank you for posting this beautiful story! I love the heart your husband made for you. So much love!

Thank you for your email too. I am well. My quadruplets have been moving out, one at a time for the past 6 months. My son is moving out this week. I have one daughter left at home, but I am sure she will be moving out soon too. My nest is getting empty.

I am definitley going to begin blogging again!

Thank you for always inspiring me.

Hartwood Roses said...

Love IS forever, and your stories are such a reflection of this.

Sue Silva said...

You are love personified.


Darcie said...

I LOVED this post! What a sweet story!! It does something for the heart to go back and look at old pictures and remember the special times. Truly, truly a lovely post.

MartiDIY said...

That's a beautiful story. I know I've seen those pots before, and think I remember the story, but I don't remember the story about the wooden heart. It is gorgeous. And yes, your hubby was quite a guy. Thank you for sharing stories of him with us.

Gary said...

We both enjoyed reading this post of yours immensely Lorraine. The photos of you two are really lovely, and you both got through sooo much work when needed! The pots are lovely, and what an ingenious husband he was in finding a way of hauling them back home and into place. That was some task. Amanda loves the plum cabin by the way. Hope your week is going well.

Beatrice Euphemie said...

So determined and resourceful and what a romantic guy! Love, love, love the wooden heart! Wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing your sweet stories. Hugs xo Karen

Rebecca said...

Oh, my! What treasures. Priceless. ♥

gld said...

Wonderful story and the pots with the grass are beautiful. You were blessed with a wonderful mate!

Consider It All Joy said...

What a very special story to share! And, those pots are gorgeous. It seems you were definitely meant to have them. The heart is so very precious, I'm sure it is a forever treasure! Many blessings, Cindy xoxo

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

What a story. So glad you saved those pots. They are durable. Interesting about the hurricane too. Not sure I could last sitting through a hurricane warning. I pace a lot as it is during a tornado warning and they don't last very long.
Thank you for sharing the story and those great photos.

Jessica Jarrell said...

I love those pots, your DH was right! I've never beed through a hurricane, I can't say that's something I just have to experience. I love the tree with the carvings, so sweet. I would definitely keep that forever :) Hope you are having a great weekend FlowerLady!

A Joyful Cottage said...

A lovely story. Thank you for sharing this Lorraine. So much love between you and your husband. The heart he made for you is so precious. Hugs, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Oh Rainey . . . I just love your stories. Your blog is better than a cup of tea with a good friend. It's like coming home after a long vacation. . . rich with emotions and memories. My favorite, that's for sure.

Love and hugs,


Rue said...

What an amazing man he was and what a neat story. I love that wood heart he made for you. It's beautiful.


M.K. said...

Oh goodness, WHAT a beautiful post! I love how together you rescued those pots and transformed them -- removing the old and dead and making them beautiful again. Isn't that a lovely thing to do in life? And that pine tree!! I would have been depressed too. You are both so resilient. The heart -- that took my breath away. It's as if your husband is still speaking to you through those words and that beautiful wood. All other things fall away, but love grows only stronger.

Jeri Landers said...

My gosh, what an ordeal. But when you really want something there is always a way. And, in this case it was really worth it, great pots! Long story here; when my kids were little,I drove past this fabulous log play house standing on posts at least 16 feet in the air. I stopped at the house to inquire of the owners how they built it and lo and behold, they offered it to us for free,(their kids were grown) if we could figure out how to get it outta there. That was quite an experience but we did it with the help of a few men, a truck and a flatbed. My kids loved that playhouse for years!

Deb said...

I love this story and especially the inscription on the tree trunk. Sweet memories.

Barbara Barth said...

What a wonderful story. Gave me so much insight to you and to how wonderful DH was. I don't catch all of your posts, but am so happy I found this one. I love the wood heart, too. I know how much you miss him, but you were so blessed to have shared a wonderful life together. And you are so awesome now with all that you create and do. Sending love and hugs your way.