Wednesday, December 17, 2014

December at Plum Cottage

Good morning Folks ~ I do hope you are all finding relaxing times in this ‘what can be’ hectic week before Christmas. Monday was our local FNF widow’s group meeting. It was very nice and the luncheon delicious. I left here around 20 til 9, got home close to 2.  I took a nap and decided to not even turn on my computer at all until the next morning. I needed a ‘break’ from social media. Yesterday morning I downloaded photos taken at the meeting, edited them, sent them off to our founder, Dotti, for choosing which ones she wanted on the blog.  Then I proceeded to write up and put the blog post all together.  You can read it here if you wish.

I want to thank all of you who left comments to my last post.  Your love, encouragement, thoughts and prayers mean a lot and really help at this time of year.

It has been downright chilly here in s.e. FL. Low 50’s feeling like it is in the 40’s  in the wee hours of the mornings, some days only getting up to low 70’s, which is nice! Right now at 7:17 a.m. est. it is 53 and feels like it is 53.  It is supposed to get up to 77 today.  Christmas day it is predicted to be a sunny day with a high of 78.

Flowers are growing, as are the weeds, all part of life.  I do hope to get caught up in the gardens before hot and humid weather get here again.

Here are some December blooms.

A couple of volunteers, periwinkle and spiderwort.

12-17-volunteers

This is an unknown rose, no name when I bought it last year. A slight scent.

12-17-unkn

12-17-unkn2

This is another unknown rose bought at the same time.  I love all of the petals in this one.  It also has a slight scent.  I like roses to have more of a scent, but at $5 each, I couldn’t resist.  Bought these at the spring plant sale at the Mounts Botanical Gardens last year.

12-17-unkn3

I ‘was’ going to put up a big tree this year, but just didn’t feel like it, so up went this little one with special ornaments on it. It is reflected in a mirror hanging on the wall behind it.

12-07-tree

My dear husbands’ mother gave us this tiny egg one year. Ever since my he was a boy he got a new ornament every year, and when we got married, we got one each year. I crocheted the little basket and filled it with ribbon roses many years ago.

12-07-bskt-egg

Mr. & Mrs. lion are the last ornaments we got from Mom. 

They are very special to me.

12-07-lion-couple

I made the M sachet many years ago, it is filled with lavender.  My blogging friend Val, who I’ve know for many years now, before we started blogging, but knew each other from gardening forums, made the heart ornament and gave it to me after my losing Mark.

12-07-m

An old metal painted heart, have had for years and years.

12-07-metal-heart

I crocheted this sachet heart.

12-07-red-heart

This snow people couple was made by a friend in Country Life forum when we did ornie exchanges for several years.

12-07-snow-couple

This little angel was made by another friend from that same forum, she passed away about the same time as my DH. She’s the tree topper this year.

12-07-tree-topper

Free wreath I got last year, hanging on the main entry into my little cottage, which is the kitchen door.

12-14-wreath

This is a scraggly, ancient feather tree that I found in the attic.  Really in bad shape, but I thought it would work out here in the kitchens’ screened porch.

12-14-feather-tree

Nativity and heavenly host. The lace angel hanging on the mirror is another favorite of mine given to us by DH’s mother one Christmas.

12-17-nativity

DH made the crèche many, many years ago. He made it for our little mud figures that we bought in the little square of the town we lived in in Spain while he was in the US Navy.

The little hanging angel at right corner of crèche with a blue gown was given to DH by his mother when he was a boy. The old painted chalk angel in the back I found at a local flea market. I just looked on the bottom of it and I bought it on DH’s birthday 1981. His 67th bday is this Saturday, so, we’ve had this angel 33 years.

The soldiers are painted miniature lead. The s & p shakers have myrrh chunks in one, and frankincense in the other. 

12-17-nativity3

This is the last ornie I made for my dear love, 1 Dec. 2012, he left this planet on the morning of the 9th.

12-17-last-ornie3

This is my favorite picture of us taken several years ago.

12-17-fav-pic

Saturday I am fixing veal Marsala for DH’s 67th bday celebration. It’s a recipe I’ve not tried before and I know he would like it.  I always loved making special dinners for the two of us, I love to cook & bake and that love hasn’t really diminished. But, I sure as heck miss my crazy, loving companion of 43 years.  We had a lot of great times, survived rough times, and our love kept on growing. I am thankful for out time on this earth together. My heart and mind are full of memories.

I wish you all a wonderful, love, peace and joy filled Christmas week and day.  May 2015 bring good things to all.

I’m going to be taking a break from blogging until after the new year, see you then.

FlowerLady

 

My Christmas card for this year.

12-15-card

Wishing you a Christmas kind of peace…

a Christmas kind of beauty…

every day of the year.

40 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wishing you a sweet, merry Christmas, Lorraine. The ornaments are each so special and I can pick up a small bit of their meaning to you through your comments. The nativity set is Xtra special...

Thank you for tips about the British garden videos. Gary and I have enjoyed many of them already.

♥ to you. Grace, peace and joy.

Sallysmom said...

We love you Rainey. I will be thinking of you and lifting you in prayer every day.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for the wishes. I wish for you are wonderful Christmas and a joy filled New Year.See you back here in 2015.

lil red hen said...

I loved seeing your ornaments and the special stories with them. I think my favorite was the snow couple.
Merry Christmas to you and much happiness for the New Year.

Jean Campbell said...

Beautiful post, Rainey. Your heart ornaments are so lovely. I keep my hearts in a box with breakable things and a label that says:
"Things that
will Break.
Includes Hearts."

BernieH said...

Wishing you a very merry Christmas. I simply adore all the well-loved, special tree ornaments. So many memories! That is a real treasure. Your little Christmas trees look fabulous. Yes, even the scraggly one!

sweetbay said...

Your ornaments are adorable! Wishing you a Merry Christmas.

Nancy J said...

Dear Rainey, your trees, even the bare ones, are beautiful, every ornament has a story, and your love for Mark shines through every word you wrote today. Lovely roses, Hugs and Blessing to you, not only for this season, but always, and your prayers, love and care for not only Hugh but for me, so special across the ocean. Peace, Love and Faith for you, Jean XXX

GRACE PETERSON said...

Those ornaments are so darling. What special memories they must hold for you. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Enjoy your respite from the Internet, my friend. Hugs.

Betty said...

Your Christmas decorations are very pretty and I love that you have homemade ones to put on your tree. I have many made from the kids, grandkids, and friends that I put on my tree and I treasure those ones. This year I did not put up a tree again, but next year I will. Merry Christmas and I hope too that the next year will be a better one.

M.K. said...

That's a beautiful photo of the two of you! You look cool and relaxed. Love our long hair :) The feather tree is very pretty too, and I LOVE that last ornament you made for Mark. Have a lovely Christmas!

Cheryl said...

Lorraine, I enjoyed my peeks of your Christmas home! I am especially moved by the ornament you made for your soul mate, only days before he left this earth. I pray that your memories are sweet and the presence of the Lord is near as you celebrate this year.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hello There, I enjoyed your post today. There are always so many wonderful memories when looking at our ornaments, aren't there? Thanks for the card. Merry Christmas to YOU.

Sorry I haven’t been around much lately. I do try to read blogs—but just haven’t commented very much lately like I usually try to do. Please don’t give up on me. Hopefully my life will be back to ‘normal’— whatever that is (ha), sometime in January.

I did get a cortisone shot in my knee —which has helped with the pain somewhat. In January, I will most likely have meniscus tear surgery…. BUT—in the meantime, I plan to have a fantastic Christmas —and hopefully get to see my kids/grands… God is Good.

Hugs,
Betsy

Leslie Kimel said...

Your ornaments are so pretty and interesting--the handmade ones are my favorite. I love all the stories and memories attached to them.

I hope you have a nice and peaceful Christmas.

jerilanders said...

I hope you enjoy your Christmas and your sweet memories. Wishing you a peaceful day, see you next year friend. Jeri

Julie said...

Merry Christmas to you!
Love, Julie

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

The tree looks great with the mirror behind it. I really like the nativity too. Be well and Merry Christmas my friend. Enjoy your break and enjoy the season.

Anonymous said...

I just love your Christmas ornaments and hearing the stories behind each one.

Emjoy your blogging break ~ it can be quite refreshing.

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, FlowerLady.

Love and Hugs,

eli

shirley said...

Your ornaments are so speckal and bring lots of nice memories for you at this time lorraine. Merry christmas to you

KathyB. said...

This month is full of tender memories for you. Your husband's birthday & death along with a time of the year the whole world seems to be merry. Yet you have shown all the things that make this month of memories of your husband special and chosen to share a meal celebrating Mark !

The wonderful and most precious thing is you know you'll be seeing him one day in the future.

I love the picture of the two of you together and also, you made each of the ornaments you pictured very special with telling their significance. Blessings & love.

BTW ~ have you ever seen the movie 'Babette's Feast '? I believe you should , and will appreciate it very much.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Rainey, your decorations are so beautiful and the b'day celebration meal sounds delicious. The name of your cottage is aaadorable...Plum Cottage is delightful! Rainey, enjoy your break and use the time to let God work His healing in you. He loves you with an everlasting love.
Merry Christmas, Rainey. Happy New Year.

Kit said...

Merry Christmas Rainey! May you have a lovely holiday. Love, Kit

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Lorraine, thank you kind lady for your lovely comment and good wishes at my blog.
It is good that you are having a little break from blogging. To regain strength, inspiration, a kind of regrouping and the opportunity to give of yourself to others things for a little bit.
The beautiful sentiments and raw emotions in your post are tangible, and I ache for you. In the grand scheme of things 2 years is not so long.
I too, am grateful to have met you two years ago and am privileged to be part of this journey of yours. And trusting that the people who are your blog friends and personal friends help make the journey just that tiny teeny bit easier to bear.
With much love and blessings for the holy season,
Rose.

Susan said...

I enjoyed looking at your Christmas decorations. I love that many of our ornaments bring back wonderful memories. You've done a great job on your widow's blog. It looks so inviting. It's wonderful that you all have each other. Lorraine, sending hugs and warm wishes your way for a very Merry Christmas, and a happy and healthy new year.

Balisha said...

Bless you this Christmas and all through the year.
Balisha

Deborah Montgomery said...

Dear Lorraine, I loved seeing all your special ornaments and the history and memories attached to each one. The nativity is very special, too. The picture of you and your dear husband is adorable; you both look so happy. Blessings to you, and prayers. xo Deborah

Lona said...

Hi Lorraine. I love looking at all of your little treasures. So many memories and thoughts I know.I wanted to drop by and tell you to have a wonderful Christmas and so many blessings to come in the New Year ahead.Take care my friend.

Val said...

How touching to see my heart ornament amongst your treasures! I love the sachet you made (with the "M" on it), and those lion ornaments are so different. Such a special collection--as the best Christmas ornaments are.

Love and peace to you this Christmas, Lorraine. Your home looks cozy, and I hope this week is a comforting one. ♥

Deb said...

I wish you a very Merry Christmas, and thank you for sharing your lovely photos or home and garden.

suziqu's thread works said...

Your tree ornaments are so sweet and full of meaning to you - love the lions and that sweet red heart crocheted by you topped with the dear little roses and, of course, the last heart made for Mark.

May you be surrounded by angels and love at Christmas time and always,
and have a well earned little break!
Warm hugs,
Suzy

Darcie said...

Merry Christmas my dear friend! Your home looks beautiful and may you be surrounded with all the memories that will bring joy to this season for you! I look forward to all your post in 2015!

Aida said...

Dear Lorraine, I love all your Christmas tree ornaments and the story which comes with it. So interesting and full of love. Wishing you a blessed Christmas and a safe new year. Thank you for your friendship in the past year.

Love,
Aida

crafty cat corner said...

Hi Lorraine,
After reading this post I am a little sad for you. I put myself in your place and understand a little how you feel.
I love the picture of the both of you and the red crochet heart.
My wish for you is that the coming year is a little easier for you and you find love, peace and contentment.
Hugs
Briony
xxx

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hello Lorraine, it is wonderful to 'meet' you - thank you for your sweet visit! Your Christmas ornaments and keepsakes are full of wonderful memories and are very special. This time of year can be so difficult when we are missing those we love. A big hug for my new friend and may you have a New Year full of lovely blessings! xo Karen

Terra said...

Rainey, I treasure the handmade Christmas card from you and your kind note on it. The card is artistic and simple in its beauty. This is a beautiful post, and I adore your nativity scene with its history of being purchased in Spain, and the stories of the ornaments. Have a happy New Year.

June said...

What a beautiful bunch of memories your ornaments are Lorraine! I know it must be hard to be without your dear hear this time of year. I read your post Lorraine and you are in my prayers. I loved the photo of you and your husband...what a daring couple!
I want to wish you a wonderful 2015 my dear. (I am a wee but envious of the blooms you enjoy where you live :))))))
beautiful!

Jillayne said...

What a truly beautiful post Lorraine - I loved every word. From the ornaments on your special little tree to the other treasures you've gathered around you at this special time of year, your love for life and family, for love itself, shines through like a star on the darkest night.
I wish you all the very best for the New Year ahead, and that you find peace, joy and love in all your days.
Hugs,
jillayne

organicgardendreams said...

Dear Lorraine, so nice to see some impressions of Plum Cottage from December. Your unknown roses are so pretty, I especially love the very filled one.
I think it is wonderful that all the ornaments have so special meaning to you and that they are collected over many many years. So different and much more personal from going into a store and buying a full set of color matching ornaments for a Christmas tree and for some people even let someone else design and decorate their Christmas trees.
I can imagine that this time is especially trying for you without your beloved husband Mark around on this earth anymore, but I surely hope that you still are able to have beautiful and lovely moments by yourself. Wishing you a healthy and wonderful New Year 2015! Warm regards,
Christina

Tante Mali said...

Lorraine,
my december garden is white - yours is beautiful!!!
Have a happy happy happy New Year!!!
All my best to you and yours
Elisabeth

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Hi Lorraine!
I've missed visiting your blog. I hope Christmas was good. What a nice picture of you and your husband :)
I'm so glad you came by to visit my blog.
Happy New Year!