Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Rain, rain and more rain

Good morning Friends,

It’s Wednesday, not light out yet, 6:54 a.m. I guess time changing will be happening soon.  Something that takes time getting used to every change, but what can we do but go with the flow.

I hear a frog croaking, and now I hear rain.  We’ve had days of rain, my grass is overgrown and I thought I might be able to mow today, but I need it to be dry so the grass does not stick to the underside of the mower. 

Sunday it rained, Monday was our widow’s meeting, Friends Needing Friends, we had a thunderstorm happen while we were there and fortunately it didn’t rain on the way to or from, yesterday it rained off and on all day, so I postponed doing errands, will see if I get to do them today. Yesterday I puttered inside, working on the bedroom some more, crocheting, reading.

Sunday I made a homemade pizza for supper. Yummy! Even if I do say so myself.  DH always enjoyed my pizzas. Italian sausage, homemade sauce using canned tomato sauce with garlic, onion, and Italian seasoning added, simmered for awhile. Sliced green olives.

09-15-pizza

Mozarella and parmesan cheeses.

09-15-pizza2

Baked for 15 minutes, convection oven at 375.

09-15-pizza3

Driveway overhang from the east neighbors. I’m having a tree trimmer coming to take care of my trees in the next week or so. DH used to do this with his saws-all, then we would both cut it all up smaller and take it out front to be picked up.  Grueling work.  This guy has a bucket truck to cut things back, and he will cart everything away.

09-16-driveway

09-16-driveway2

09-16-driveway3

This is a ficus tree that hasn’t been trimmed in a couple of years, maybe 3.  A guy would come around and do it for us, for a price, but he hasn’t been around and I figure he has moved on.

09-16-ficus3

Palm fronds have fallen from the palm and landed in the tree, two are hanging in there now.

09-16-ficus2

This is from the front patio.

09-16-ficus

This is the black oak from our neighbor’s to the west.  I need three limbs cut back to keep them off the work shop and out of my avocado tree.  I’m hoping he will pay for that part of the tree trimming.

09-16-blkoak

I’m hoping this fall/winter to be able to do a lot of clearing out of ‘junk’ and overgrowth here at Plum Cottage.

Thank you all for your kind words about my crocheted purse. I’m hoping my creations will supplement my income. I want to thank all who have purchased different bits from me, I do appreciate it. I love creating with needles, hooks, threads and beads. I did sell a crocheted needlecase to one of my widow friends this past week and that was nice.

I’ve been only working two days a week lately at my job because of the economy.  I’ve been working there for 16 1/2 years. No benefits except that it’s a great job, easy going and my boss is easy to work with. I used to work 3-6 days a week, but not anymore, once in a great while. I am thankful I still have my job, and try to spend my income wisely.

I got 5-6 cuttings recently from a friend of the red flowered passion vine, two of them are doing well, new growth, the rest croaked.  I know, just what I need, another vine. Smile  Not sure where I will put it yet, somewhere where I can control it. The flowers are wonderful.

A widow friend made stollen the other day, and gave me a loaf.  I’ve had it toasted and I also made French toast with it and that was oh so yummy.

I guess that’s it for now.  May you all feel God’s love, peace, strength and blessings surrounding you.

FlowerLady

***

Let the rain kiss you.

Let the rain beat upon your head

with silver liquid drops.

Let the rain sing you a lullaby.

Langston Hughes,  April Rain Song,  1902 – 1967

***

P.S. I am just reading about and seeing photos of the flooding and loss of homes and lives in Mexico, and we’ve already seen and read about the flooding in CO. My heart and prayers go out for all effected by these flooding waters. It makes me feel ashamed for writing about days of rain, with no flooding.

13 comments:

Barbara Barth said...

Having my morning coffee catching up on your blog. Your pizza photo is making me hungry. I love to read your posts. Feel like I am sitting and chatting with you. I will brag - no rain for a few weeks - now my flowers are feeling it. Planted two huge hydrangeas two weeks ago. So far so good. Cool air this am. Think of you and miss our chats. Hugs, B

tina said...

Homemade stollen sounds really really good! So glad you are keeping busy and busy you are!

HolleyGarden said...

That pizza looks so good! Yum! I haven't had homemade pizza in a long time. I hope all the rain you've been getting isn't too much. I've been complaining about the drought here, but too much rain can be even worse! I know you'll be so happy when the tree trimmer leaves. It's always so nice to tidy things up.

Unknown said...

The pizza looks dee-lish!I,too,am looking forward to cooler weather,so I can get some big projects done.

L. D. said...

That is a prize winning pizza. Wow!!!

It's Just Dottie said...

I adore homemade pizza. I could eat it everyday!
We so need rain. My garden is struggling and that makes me sad. Keep on surrounding yourself with
loveliness,my sweet friend.
Hugs, Dottie

organicgardendreams said...

Dear Lorraine, your pizza looks so yummy! You may have too much rain, but here in CA we really could need some. It will probably not start again until December. I am glad that you hired help doing the tree trimming. That is really a lot of very hard work and it is good that you don't have to do it yourself. I am sure it will look very nice when everything is cut back.
Christina

Ruth Hiebert said...

That Pizza looks mighty good. We have overcast skies here and a forecast for rain,but nothing so far.

RockWhisperer said...

That's how I make my pizza, too, except I use ripe olives instead of the green.

I kinda like the branches hanging over the center, but I guess it does cause problems. There are many country roads around here where the trees make a canopy over the road and it feels so cozy to drive the road. They are pretty in the winter when covered with ice and snow, but I guess not so safe.

I watched a program on Discovery where they were saying how so many human employees were being replaced by robotics. If this is the future, where will people work? Troubling. Hope I'm dead and gone by then.

I spent the morning making eight gallons of apple juice. Leroy told Hubs this morning he thinks he only has about enough to fill one more bucket and then the tree will be done. Praise God. But we'll enjoy the "free" juice this winter.

We have a hot, humid day today. Pretty good chances of rain tomorrow and a good cool-down. We got 2.5 much-needed inches of rain on Sunday. What a shame rain cannot be more evenly distributed. Hugs XOXOXOXO

Sandy said...

Your blog was a delight again today. The pizza actually made my mouth water. I don't know what stollen is but you made it sound delicious. I need to go over to your Etsy shop and look around again. I love your little purses. I am working hard making 100 pair of earrings for my grand re-opening in a week or so. Have a blessed rest of the week.
Love & Hugs~

Rose ~ from Oz said...

A lovely musing post Lorraine, and I do appreciate the palm fronds - I have the same problem with them landing high up in my mandarin tree!
I must wait for the grass to be dry before mowing, because I have an electric mower!
If I lived closer and you invited me for a slice of pizza, I would not as the Aussies say, knock you back!
Enjoy your week dear Lorraine.
x

Gary said...

Hi Lorraine,
I would so love to get my hands on your garden for a few days. It has so much to it, and looks so interesting. Amanda loves the pizza you made, whereas, not being a cooked cheese fan they fill me with dread. Now the stollen. Having a german father, we were brought up on the stuff and always have loads at Christmas. Mine is always accompanied by german cognac, and Amanda has port to dip slices in. Pure class eh? Have a good week, and I hope work picks up.

KathyB. said...

The pizza looks as delicious as you described it.

The trees & vegetation around your home are so lush and thick. Quite beautiful, but I can see why you need to have it all pruned & cut back.

Rainy days are perfect for puttering around and getting indoor stuff done, aren't they ?

This is a calming blog post, especially reading about your quiet day at home, your stolen, and your group of widowed friends. Even in our grief God leaves us with comforts.