Monday, February 7, 2011

Stuffed Steak Rolls in the Crockpot

Good afternoon Folks ~ Balisha asked me how to fix the steak rolls that I will be fixing for our Valentine's Dinner. The recipe calls for flank steak, but we bought a pkg of 8 Angus Beef - Beef Round Sirloin Tip steaks for $14.49 at SAM's today. It was on special and we both thought they would make great streak rolls. I will use two of these and we will probably split one and have the other one for another night.

This recipe is from the book Crockery Cookery by Mable Hoffman, from 1975, which I think is the year I got my first crockpot. A wonderful tool, especially when you work, because dinner is ready when you get home. It's great even if you don't work, because dinner is cooking while you take care of other things. My late MIL bought me my first crockpot.

STUFFED FLANK STEAK IN CROCKPOT

1 1/2 c. pkgd bread stuffing
1 - 3 oz. can sliced mushrooms with juice
2 T. melted butter
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 (1 - 1 1/2 lb.) flank steak, scored on both sides
2 T. salad oil
1 (3/4 oz.) pkg. brown gravy mix
1/4 c. dry red wine
2 T. minced green onions
1/4 c. currant jelly

Combine bread stuffing with mushrooms and juice, butter, and cheese. Spread over flank steak; roll up like jelly roll. Fasten with skewers or string. Pour oil into crock pot. Roll steak in oil, coating all sides. ~ For Sauce: Prepare gravy mix according to pkg directions. Pour gravy, wine, and onions over meat. Cover and cook on low 8 -10 hours. Remove meat from pot; slice. Add jelly to sauce and stir until dissolved. Serve over meat. Makes 4-5 servings.

I'm going to be using Port Wine jelly, which I already had in the fridge, and will be using Port wine in the sauce.

I usually write down in all my cookbooks when I try a recipe, the date, and what we thought. I first made this for our 14th wedding anniversary in 1983, and we both thought it was very good. I've fixed this several times for company also and they all enjoyed it.

No picture at this time. I'll try to take one as I make it on Valentine's Day.

***********

One of the very nicest things about life
is the way we must regularly stop
whatever it is we are doing
and devote our attention to eating.

Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

Zone 10 ~ s.e. FL

3 comments:

Masha said...

I like combining beef with wine when I cook. Your steak roll recipe looks great and I hope they turn out well.

Balisha said...

Thankyou for posting this delicious sounding recipe. I do love crockpot recipes. So much flavor when it is cooked slow. Thanks again, Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I followed you from Balisha after reading about this recipe.
Pleased to find you. We have many of the same interests - except I am not good with a needle :)
Thank you for this recipe.