Friday, February 23, 2018

Yes, flowers are grown in my gardens

Hi Folks ~ I’ve had several ask if the flowers I post are mine, and yes they are, unless I’m at a nursery, botanical gardens, etc. and I will state where they are taken.

Many, many years ago, I told my dear husband that I’d rather have ‘growing’ flowers that a bouquet that doesn’t smell and will die shortly. Not to say that I didn’t enjoy the surprise bouquets he did give me. My gardens are what they are because I bought flowering plants, mostly perennials and not very many annuals as they die shortly too. Occasionally, I can’t resist pansies, or some other annual delight.

There is a nursery near me that sells 3 gal. size plants for $5 each. I’ve bought quite a few plants from this nursery. I always get bit by the spring flower ‘bug’, especially since my bday is the first day of spring. Flowers speak to me heart & soul, mentally they are stimulating and physically their scents are healing and some intoxicating, and their colors are wonderful. On a spiritual level, they make me think of our great God who created everything and I thank Him for the many wonderful plants and flowers He gave us to enjoy. Being out in the gardens or any natural setting makes me feel more alive and at peace.

I live on a busy 5 lane road, and while the traffic can really be heavy at times, there is a peace inside my property.  My mechanic came here the other day and he told me he loves this place, the plants and flowers all over, how quiet it is. (He wasn’t even hearing the traffic). In spite of seeing what I see, weeds, overgrowth, and stuff that needs to be gotten rid of, he just saw the beauty and that made me feel so good, especially coming from a young macho man. It was a gift of encouragement to me.

Today is a new day and this post is filled with photos from Plum Cottage gardens.

This is ‘Chinese Hat’ Holmskioldia sanguinea. Bees, birds and butterflies love this. These get to be 6 feet tall and about as wide. Can be grown as a tree or a sprawling shrub.

02-21-chinese--hat

02-22-chinese-hat2

This is Hibiscus Tree, I don’t remember the botanical name of this tree, that info is in my desk top computer. This is NOT your typical small hibiscus shrub, this towers up to and beyong the power lines and is a FAST grower. I love and hate it. It is in our neighbor’s property and is what hangs over into my driveway. DH used to take care of this from our side with his saws-all, now I sometimes get help from friends, or the county takes care of it after the limbs hit the power lines causing power shortages or outages. The flowers are yellow and turn the bronze color as they age.

02-21-hibiscus-tree

This is my ‘Meyer Lemon’, first blooms of this season. This small shrub is in a pot and my ‘Key Lime’ also in a pot, are both doing fantastic right now.

02-21-meyer-lemon

These below are the seed heads of the ‘Lipstick Tree’, Bixa orellana, a.k.a. Annato, Urucum, Achiote

Spiny red fruit with hard, deep red seeds that are used as a spice, in cosmetics, and as an industrial dye. The flowers are pale pink, small.

I got this as a tiny plant from Butterfly World for $1, a year or so ago.

02-21-lipstick-tree

This is ‘Smoke or Mist Bush’. Iboza riparia, Tetradenia riparia. In my main garden and really doing well this spring. I had hoped for the pinkish variety, as it wasn’t in bloom when I bought it from the local botanical garden a couple of years ago. But this is pretty being pure white. The leaves are aromatic, but I’m not all that crazy about the scent.

02-21-nutmeg-bush

Pink begonias

02-21-pink-begonia

Next, is ‘Purple Fringe Bush’, Loropetalum chinense. My little bush is full of blooms right now, the most it has ever had. I just read that it has a scent, so I need to go outside and see if I can smell it.

02-21-purple-fringe-bush

Lots of my roses are filling out with new growth, and buds and blooms. I am thrilled to say the least. I never know what I’m  going to see from one day to the next, very exciting. I ooh and aah and gasp in delight.

This is an unknown sweetly scented rose that I bought two of for $5 ea. a few years ago. They are both in my main garden and bloom off and on all year long.

02-21-pink-unkn

02-21-pink-unkn2

02-21-pink-unkn-rosebud

I don’t know the name of this little beauty either. It is also in my main garden.

02-21-sm-pink-unkn

This is ‘Crepuscule’. I walked the front path and looked up and there was this lovely bloom. I bought this a couple of years ago and just love it. It is in a big pot, but set so the roots will grow into the ground. I can feed and water it better this way. This can be seen through my front gate once it fills out. It is another rose with a wonderful scent.

02-22-crep

This is a ‘Carpet Rose’, I just love the two-tone look of the flowers and that it is a simple rose.

02-22-two-tone-rose

I loved how the sunlight was hitting this spider web. I hate walking into webs and it happens almost daily. Not huge ones like this but whispier types.

02-22-spider-web

Here is Miss Tork, doing what she does most. We are in a state of ‘disarray’ here and she sleeps all over the place where she can find a space. She has two of these ‘memory foam’ beds and really likes them. I made these two beds up for her when she was limping around for a week or so.

02-21-miss-t

While the cottage is in ‘CHAOS’, ‘Can’t Have Anybody Over Syndrome’, (from FlyLady),  I have been making forward progress as I await the remodeling job to continue. Dear BIL is staying close to home on weekends, while dear SIL recuperates from total knee replacement. She is doing good, getting stronger with each new day.

I did move the desk unit from living room to the bedroom and am happy to have it as more storage space.  Here is the piece moved into bedroom, along with the little antique cabinet next to it, which was also in the living room. Inside that little cabinet I was able to fit my little sewing machine. Smile

02-19-bedroom

Here is the desk unit being filled up. Next to it is the linen cupboard on the left with curtain closed. Both of these pieces were found curbside years ago.

02-21-cupbds

Now the curtain is open and you can ‘see’ what’s inside. I bought the black laundry basket last year. Like it’s size and shape, the color nice because it doesn’t appear as big as it is. Then after getting it home I realized it would fit in this space hidden away. YAY! In this small cottage, 675 sq. ft. I have to make it all work efficiently for me on my very limited budget. It worked for DH and I and it is still working for me now, only being changed around for one person instead of two. I know he would like the changes I am making for myself, even though some of them are hard.

02-20-cupbds

Now, here is why I didn’t want to put this desk unit curbside. The messy inside of the drop down section, wrapping paper, desk supplies, stamps, etc. In needs to be gone through and stuff thrown out, old papers that haven’t seen the light of day in years, and the other day I had an ‘ah-ha’ moment and the two little white drawer units (hold receipts and bills, etc.) will go inside this space, giving me more space on the shelf where they are now. Yippee!

02-21-desk

The living room is piled with stuff and it is depressing, (won’t show a picture here), that’s why my gardens are so therapeutic right now. I can go out into them and be refreshed, and some back in and tackle another section. I am a procrastinator and that is a detriment that is for sure. But, I am making forward progress and that feels great.  Moving the desk unit helped my mood tremendously. Dealing with that messy space in the desk is something I am looking forward to also and it will make a difference in how I feel.

I got rid of one bag of linens I no longer want. They were just taking up space. I’m working on getting rid of more things as I go along. Planning to keep what is needful, has memories, or is pretty or sweet. The rest can go in the trash, or be given away.

Ok, that’s it for now. Today I plan to use a gift card for JoAnn’s. Then come back and work more in the cottage. It will look so good when the remodeling jobs are completed. All in good time.

May you all have a good weekend, wherever you are.

Let us all remember in these turbulent times to think on  “whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” Philippians 4:8 (NIV)

The MSG translation says it like this:

“Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.”

Hang in there, you who are dealing with more snow and cold,

Spring is coming!

FlowerLady

23 comments:

jerilanders said...

What better compliment could a gardener get than that which the young man gave you, how nice!
I feel the same way about bouquets; give me a living plant that I can put in the ground and perpetuate it's beauty for years. One gallon pots for $5?! I wish we had that kind of garden center. The cost of plants has gone up so much that I am trying to grow perennials from seed this year in a mini greenhouse.

Buttons alias Grace said...

Now those flowers brightened up my morning. They are absolutely beautiful. I do hope spring is close for us all. Take care. HUGS B I have a new blog site. :) Click on my comment.Thank you.

lil red hen said...

I always love seeing your beautiful flowers and your little cottage. The flowers make me want to try harder to have full beds of blooms. Do you have to spray the roses to keep them so healthy looking?

Rebecca said...

I'm pretty sure you can't imagine how thrilled I'd be to step onto your property! I'm sure I'd have the same reaction as your mechanic :)

And inside--what a fine job you're doing refitting your space to be functional AND appealing to the eye as well. In good time! In good time!

Have a good weekend, Lorraine. I've had a couple opportunities to help a couple of people facing some challenges today. Now, I'm relaxing with a book and will soon dish up the escalloped potatoes and ham to serve my husband and father. Then an evening of games (dominoes and a card game).

Stacey said...

I love seeing your flowers, Lorraine. There's nothing more beautiful than a garden that has been lovingly cared for over the years. I love how things get a little bit wild over time. :)

NanaDiana said...

I didn't realize you were on such a busy road- all the better to have the peace and quiet of your gardens. How wonderful of that young man to share his feelings with you about your place. I bet you smiled all day long.

You make good use of your small space, Lorraine. I hope you have a great weekend. xo Diana

Ruth Hiebert said...

A visit to your blog is like a short virtual escape from winter. Thanks for allowing me to wander through your gardens and admire the beautiful flowers.

M.K. said...

I feel like you and I both are doing the "tiny house" living thing :) And we are BOTH in "CHAOS" as you say! That is so cute. Truly, we suffer with Can't Have Anybody Over Syndrome. Still, I did invite an ex-work colleague over briefly to do her a favor.

Your wonderful gardens and blooms are a blessing to us all here -- you are spreading the love! I only wish I could touch and smell those roses.

Morning's Minion said...

I am always refreshed by a tour of your garden. I'm hoping to add a rose or two in my space this year, but the on-going battle with weeds is daunting. Renovating our living space is always a labor of love and an endurance test--the mess always gets worse before improvement is realized. The results are usually worth the upheaval!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

It's always so therapeutic to stroll through your gardens, especially when we are covered in snow, here in the north. You have the most interesting and uniquely beautiful flowers. You are making the most of your tiny space and I am sure it feels wonderful to do some sorting and organizing. Miss Tork looks very content on her comfy bed, too. I hope your SIL's recovery continues to go smoothly and that your redecorating can continue again soon. Love the meditation - thank you. Hugs xo Karen

BeachGypsy said...

Was very glad to see a new post from you! Enjoyed this most recent walk about your gardens and cottage--always pretty new blooms and interesting things to see.Your flowers, bushes, trees, and vines are so beautiful.

HWIT BLOGG said...

So many lovely flowers...beautiful! Here it´s snowing and it´s really cold. I really longing for springtime now.
Have a great weekend, take care!
Titti

Cheryl said...

I love hearing about all of your house tweaks and organizing! I love trying new ways to organize and be more efficient. You're doing a great job!

You are a fabulous gardener. I could never even hope to know all that you know about flowers. So many beautiful things there in your gardens!

Darcie said...

Your place always reminds me that home is where the heart is, and any place can be a sanctuary to our heart if you put a little of our heart into it! I've always loved each and every picture that you've shared of your home!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Lorraine! I have not been blogging much, and have really neglected reading blogs. I was spending too much time on FaceBook, but decided a few days ago to cut way back on that. I am doing pretty well so far. I am glad to see you are still enjoying your gardens. I always like seeing what you are doing with your cottage. I myself have been sorting through books and things, and getting rid of a number of them. There is still a lot of clutter, though. Do you still have your shed? I need to get off of the computer, but want to come back to see more of your past posts. I am excited for spring, and see it is in full swing your way.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I always enjoy seeing your flowers ( and many varieties which we don't have here )

I was intrigued by the Hibiscus Tree. HERE ( in PA ) I can buy an annual hibiscus plant but I think that our perennial "Rose of Sharon" might be like your tree. They get very large and multiply etc. I have a pink one in the back and a purple one on the side.

I was going to just tell you to search "rose of sharon' on my blog and then I realized that I have a quilt project of that name, lol...

SO after about 10 minutes of searching back....here's a link showing the bush / tree / what-have-you :) http://www.frugallittlebungalow.com/blooms-mid-july/



Andrea said...

Hi Lorraine, how are you? Thanks for stopping by my site even if i haven't been here for quite sometime. Most of those you posted are also here in the hot tropics and am familiar with them.

gld said...

That's a compliment to you and you late husband. You have created an oasis in a busy place that takes you completely away. How nice of the young man to notice and tell you.

We gardeners live for those kinds of remarks.

Keep enjoying that beautiful space.

Anne Payne said...

It's all so beautiful! A few things are starting to make themselves visible here but nothing like you have. I'm getting spring fever though. Can't wait to put some of my plants back outside. {{hugs}}

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hi Lorraine! I agree with that young man - you created a piece of paradise in your garden! Weeds never go away, but they can't take away the beauty of the garden. Have a lovely weekend!

Friko said...

I simply cannot believe that there is a garden which has all these treasures already! Yes, I am shivering in snow and ice and my poor garden is ignored.

As fr the rest of this post, you are an example to me. There’s so much in this house which needs clearing, rearranging, remodelling, but I just cannot motivate myself. Perhaps it’s early days?

Junkchiccottage said...

Lorraine I always love seeing your pretty flowers from your garden. You have such a touch when it comes to your garden and flowers. I hope your SIL will be doing better and your sweet BIL can come back over to help you with the remodel. I know you are excited about getting those things done. Have a great week. Come over for a visit I have a surprise in my post for you.
Hugs,
Kris

L. D. said...

My old place and garden was a little like that but my new place needs a lot of work. I want to put up a couple of trees and visual blocks to the neighbors. Those neighbors have nothing planted so it has to me to plant. Your flowers look so wonderful. You get a lot of satisfaction from their growing and blowing. I hope the remodel will get done soon.