Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Mid Easter week ~ kind of a long post

 

Hello Friends ~ I hope you are all doing well and enjoying this Easter week. We are  being blessed with another spell of cool weather and that is really wonderful.  Of course for all of you who are getting another round of really cold weather and even more snow this is so not wonderful at all, as you are more than ready for spring.  I hope one of your Easter blessings will be warmer temps.

I have fixed lamb for Easter dinner for many, many years so bought it again this year.  I only buy this at Easter time, because it is so expensive, but there will be plenty for leftover dishes. I usually roast it but this year plan to do it in the crockpot so that while I’m at church, Easter dinner will be cooking. I cut off most of the fat, cut slits into the meat and insert garlic slivers, then rub on a good mustard, and sprinkle on chopped rosemary, then some Italian bread crumbs. Yummy!  I’m getting hungry just thinking about it.

I’m hoping to have a gardenia flower to enjoy for Easter, and the dancing ladies orchids are about to open. There are two long spikes with all these little spikes coming off loaded with little orchid buds.

04-16-dancing-ladies-orchids

These might even be open tomorrow.  I bought a pot of these at a yard sale last spring and these are the first blooms for me. Spiderwort blooms are in the background.

04-16-dancing-ladies-orchids2

Speaking of buds, here is the first moonflower bud and I am so excited.  Planted the seeds not that long ago.  This is on the back arbor.

04-16-moonflower-bud

I think this is Confederate Rose.  I have two shrubs of this and I notice little babies in my main garden, so I need to transplant them. This was also grown from seeds.

04-15-conf-rose

04-15-conf-rose2

Here is my favorite hibiscus, Hugs-n-Kisses.

04-15-hugs-n-kisses

This is my favorite Salvia ~ Salvia coccinea

These spread happily from self-sown seeds.

04-16-salvia-coccinea

04-16-salvia-coccinea2

The other night as I was sitting here at my computer,

04-16-my-creative-space

I heard and felt huge explosions and after a second or two I realized what it was.  Fireworks.  Someone has been doing this in the park near us for the past several years at this same time of year, so it must be a celebration of some kind. We always ran out to the street to watch.

04-12-fireworks2

04-12-fireworks

Last Friday a pkg. came in the mail but I wasn’t here to sign for it so had to wait until Monday to pick it up at the PO. It was the alcohol ink markers I had ordered along with the trays to hold them.

So Monday afternoon was partially spent clearing off my work surface to make room to hold them and emptying ‘too lg.’ of little glass jars holding beads into smaller containers just made for beads.  I may get a couple more of these when I can, to take care of more beads.

04-16-my-creative-space3

The trays for ink markers did not come with a top, so I went looking for a piece of glass out in the workshop, and then looked for the glass pliers and glass cutters. The glass and pliers were easy to find, but I had to look for the cutters. I asked Jesus because he knew where they were, and I was standing in an area and could just feel them being there and started looking and YIPPEE there they were.  But lo and behold, they are old, little cutting wheels wouldn’t turn on some, and finally I found one that would scribe a line but not that great of one, took the pliers and snapped and a piece came off, but I had a couple of other pieces I had to get and finally did.  I need to get some new ones and put an oily cotton wad at the bottom that the wheel will sit in, the cotton at the bottom of these was all dried out.  I love that workshop and feel Mark in there. It was a dream come true for him and we built it to code from his plans. Before he left this planet he told me it would now be mine and to do with it what I want. What I want to do is straighten it up as I’ve added lots of stuff that was stored in part of our bedroom out there.  Plus I use tools and instead of putting them away just throw them on the work benches.  That’s not cool and workman like. And, I stumped my baby toe on a piece on the floor which hurt like heck and turned purple. It doesn’t hurt now but is still a tinge of purple.

Anyway after cutting the glass, I put tape around all for edges of the glass so as not to cut myself and laid it over the top tray.

04-16-my-creative-space4

Here you can see the colors, and I want to get a set of skin tones to add to these.

They all will be used for coloring silk ribbon and even crochet threads.

04-16-my-creative-space8

Bead containers and some of my beads.

04-16-my-creative-space6

04-16-my-creative-space-5

04-16-my-creative-space7

I used one of the brown tone inks for the flower in this piece I am still working on. The flower petals stand out much better now.

04-16-trust

Well, I guess I’ve rambled enough.

Have a wonderful Easter and think on why this holiday is celebrated for many of us.

God, as Jesus, gave His life on a cross and then resurrected again, so that we’d be free from sin and have life eternal. Faith is a gift, and the choice is ours, to believe it’s all true or not.

May God’s love and peace fill and surround each of you.

Enjoy your spring blooms, the good times and good food enjoyed with family and friends.

FlowerLady

P.S.

I almost broke down in the grocery story this past week. I was looking at Sherry, as I like to drink a little bit before dinner. Well, I saw Osborne Sherry from Jerez, Spain as a clearance. Seeing these brought back memories of our going on a Bodega tour with the USO when we lived in Spain while Mark was in the US Navy. My eyes filled and cried out to God to keep me from breaking down right there in the isle. He did and I put two bottles in my cart, for the memories. One of Fino and one of Cream.

The Navy base was in Rota. We could see the gold domed cathedral of Cadiz across the Cadiz bay from our apartment, we lived on the fifth floor. Cadiz was one of our favorite cities.  While walking those ancient stone streets and seeing all of the little shops along them, we decided that we wanted to do a lot of different things to make money and that’s what we did.  We didn’t make a fortune, but we had love and laughter and I am forever thankful.

spain

Tears are filling my eyes now, so I will end this and tell you all to love, love, and love. You never know when you will have had your last chance to do so.

21 comments:

Sallysmom said...

Wonderful post. Tears are in my eyes as well. Love you and have a truly wonderful Easter.

lil red hen said...

i love reading about your flowers, your crafts, your emotions, and your trust in God. Happy Easter!

BernieH said...

I can see how the ink really does add that something extra to your creations. The petals on that flower do stand out wonderfully well.

You certainly have a lovely selection of inks and beads all organised for easy choosing now.

I wonder what the fireworks are all about? It must be a community thing if it happens every year at the same time.

Love that Hibiscus and Salvia and I can't wait to see those Dancing Ladies whirling about.

Mark's workshop sounds like an absolute treasure trove. It's great that it's filled with such useful things. I can understand though why you would want to have it more organised.

I hope you enjoy that Sherry immensely! What wonderful memories, even if there's a tinge of sadness associated with them.

Nancy J said...

Lorraine, memories with tears are good for your heart, Love your so organised containers, see through jars, and new things to use. Mark would, and is, so proud of all your have achieved, hugs for Easter and every day, Jean.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful post, Rainey. And truly wonderful memories of a life (journey) lived with the one you love.

Your bead work still amazes me. Just seeing those tiny beads in the jars is intimidating. :-)

I don't think I've ever heard of a moonflower . . . I'll have to check it out. Will you post a picture once the bloom opens?

Have a blessed Easter. Love and hugs,

eli

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

That looks like the Confederate rose I had at my trailer house near Houston. Mom would cut hers back each fall and stick the limbs in a bucket of water to root for me, then I planted them in spring.

I just love crafting supplies, it will be fun to see what you do with the inks.

sharon said...

hap y easter week to you!! I love hugs and kisses do you grow that in a pot..we have freezes here so i worry about that..with the cold..does it require secial care?

Ruth Hiebert said...

Memories can bring tears in an instant. Have a Blessed Easter and enjoy all those lovely flowers in your garden.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, Your Easter Lamb sounds wonderful. You will enjoy it for many meals I'm sure.... So glad you are still following that tradition. We usually cook a special dinner on Easter --but this year, we've been invited to go to George's daughter and hubby's home for dinner. So---it will be one of the few days I won't cook....

You are SO organized.. Love all of your little bead containers... Neat!!!

Be sure and read my blog post on Friday. I'll post some antiques from a hotel where we stayed recently in VA.

Happy Easter to you.
Hugs,
Betsy

organicgardendreams said...

Hi Lorraine, I can't recall to ever have seen a Confederate Rose bloom. Wow, what a gorgeous flower! My other favorite is your hibiscus 'Hugs and Kisses'.
Sorry to read that the memories triggered by looking at the sherry made you so sad. It must be incredible hard to loose a loved husband! Hope you feel better by now.
Wishing you a good rest of the Easter week!
Warm regards,
Christina

Unknown said...

Lorraine,
Love that hibiscus and confederate rose, so beautiful! Looks like you have been a very busy lady and now everything is nice and organized:) Have a Blessed Easter.
Teresa
sugar, spice and whatever's nice

Julie said...

Who makes your inks? My daughter, a friend and I went out to that little Scrapbook shop out on 441 near Southern Blvd, and took a course in using the alcohol inks. We all bought a few. My daughter has skin tone ones. I need to get them out! Loads of fun! Love your case to hold them all. Great post! Happy Easter!!!!!

Rebecca said...

Oh, that last line - SO wise; so fitting. (My hubby is having a heart cath early tomorrow morning. My heart is full of emotions.)

Happy Easter, Lorraine. (I can almost smell your lamb roasting.) May the joy and hope we have because Jesus overcame death fill us with fresh courage for the days to come. ♥

Claire said...

Bless you, my love! It's hard when grief catches you so unawares...
Wishing you abundant, tender blessings this Eastertide, and thank you for all your lovely comments on my Lenten posts - they mean a lot! I've added a wee reply to today's x

Claire said...

Thank you for the Easter wishes - I've just added another response :) x

Terra said...

How suddenly grief sneaked up on you in the store, yet the port will bring sweet memories for you as you sip it in the evenings. What a fabulous hibiscus, very fancy coloring, and moon flowers are so mysterious. Happy Blessed Easter to you.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

It's funny how the unexpected things evoke such strong and poignant memories and so often its when you're out and about. I get very frustrated when it happens when one is driving! Anyhow dear Lorraine, enjoy that Sherry. :/
I adore that hugs and kisses Hibiscus, it is sensational.
Your fine craft work never ceases to astound me with its intricate beauty.
Much love.

M.K. said...

"But we had love and laughter" -- yes. Remember the happy days and know that they are not the last! That hibiscus is gorgeous, my favorite of all. What frills! Your collection of beautiful beads is so very nice. I love seeing what you create with them.

Shirley said...

Wow, your season is so much further ahead than our own here in Edmonton Canada!! We had a spring snow storm, which you saw in my post about the return of the Canada Geese, but today it is 10 Celsius and the majority of the snow has melted away. What a difference a day can make!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

As always
a wonderful post.
Special love
sent your way
Lorraine
from
one in the woods :)

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Dear Lorraine, memories are so precious of our love ones it is how we keep them on our hearts forever. I have memories of Rota Spain too. Such lovely flowers. Hugs Judy