Friday, May 20, 2011

Went to the library and fell in love ...

... with Magnolias and my DH even more. I had never seen a magnolia in bloom up close, much less smelled it. Tuesday morning I went to the library and blooms were open. I walked up to one for a close look and a sniff and was in love. I smiled all the way into the library. I told DH about it when I got home, and the next morning we went over there early to take pictures and for him to take in the scent as well.


While there we saw some interesting grass, and DH found something too. (He's always on the look out for treasures of one sort or another.) When we got into the car to leave, he asked me to close my eyes and hold out my hand and then I felt something slipped onto my right ring finger. I opened my eyes and laughed. It was a funky lucite ring with colored dots on black with a high clear top so that there was depth to the ring. That little 'found' gift made me fall in love with DH more. He has made me laugh and encouraged me since the beginning of our life together.

Anyway, I think the Magnolia might be 'Little Gem'. I would love to find one of these at a bargain price, and even then, I think it will be expensive. I'll have to start saving up for this beauty.
















I don't have a clue as to what this grass is but it is very interesting and DH like it too.







That's it for now. I've got to get ready for work. I was out earlier sanding cement off a 4'x8' sheet of plywood that DH will be using on our latest, neat project. More about that when we are done. This is a recycled, reuse project. :-)

Have a great weekend.

***

"To analyze the charms of flowers

is like dissecting music;

it is one of those things

which it is far better to enjoy,

than to attempt to fully understand."

Henry T. Tuckerman

***



Zone 10 ~ s.e. FL

22 comments:

L. D. said...

White flowers really are underrated. I think that purity of white can make the flower seem so sculptural. That is a beautiful flower. I thought at first it looked like a white tulip of mine until I saw it unfold. Have a good weekend.

Dave said...

What a cool looking grass. I wish I knew what is was, as well. If you find the name, could you please update us with a post? Thanks!
PS....the magnolia pics are stunning!

NanaK said...

I'm in love with magnolias too. Our church planted at least 6 little gems and they smell wonderful and are blooming like crazy. Can't wait to see the new project you have going.

Jean Campbell said...

What a wonderful, thoughtful husband you have. I've seen 'Little Gem' at a local nursery for $30 for about a 5' tall tree. I can't think of a better anniversary gift.

organicgardendreams said...

Flowerlday, I love magnolia trees, too, and you captured the beauty of the magnolia flowers perfectly. There is something so sensual and pure about them. Thanks for the photo treat!
Christina

Becca's Dirt said...

I love magnolias. I have several in my yard but the flowers are so high up I can't get a photo and barely can see them. I've seen folks post the pink ones and they are stunning. Magnolia should grow well there too. They are a stunning huge bloom. Good luck getting you one. Isn't your DH something else. Lucky you Flowerlady. That was so sweet. Have a nice weekend.

The Sage Butterfly said...

I think I can smell that sweet aroma by reading your post. Those are such lovely photos.

gld said...

He's a keeper!

Here where we have seasons, they put some things on sale before cold weather. I bet Florida doesn't have to do that! I hope you find your magnolia.

Rainy Day Gardener said...

That magnolia is incredible. I've never been up close and personal with a white one. It's so beautiful. Sounds like ya picked a good one, it's really heart warming to hear about his special 'find' for you :)

Corner Gardener Sue said...

What a sweet story, and lovely white flowers. The leaves of the tree are pretty cool, too. I hope you find one. Yes, your husband is a keeper! I don't know what the grass is, either.

GRACE PETERSON said...

Your magnolia photos are lovely. DH sounds like a kindred spirit.

denimflyz said...

The Magnolia looks like it is made of fine glass, what a beauty!
You are so lucky to be in a area where the florals are so very stunning, and beautiful.
DH is a floral treasure!
Have a great weekend.
Hugs

Ami said...

Your husband is so sweet! I can see why you can fall love in him all over again :) My working place also has lots of magnolia trees planted. These days, I am doing exact same thing as you did, walk close and smell them! Just heavenly!

Masha said...

Magnolias are beautiful and fragrant, and there are many kinds of them. I think the white ones might be the most fragrant, but visually for me pink ones are prettier:) - too many choices, almost like roses... What a great husband you have, thanks for the lovely story (I have to show it to my husband).

HolleyGarden said...

I love magnolias, too - their scent is fabulous! I used to pick a bloom from a neighbor's tree and it would scent up the entire house! I love the white ones best. Your DH sounds very sweet.

JB said...

Mother and sister would always sing a song about the sweet magnolia, with whistful looks on their faces. They had surely smelt one as beautiful as the one you photographed the other day.

jerilanders said...

I think your DH is a gem, too! Never had Magnolias, but have caught the scent while visiting some gardens in SC. Luscious.

Karen said...

Your husband is a sweetheart, you are so lucky to have found each other. I do not own a magnolia, either, but have always thought about it when I see them blooming. This is such a pretty bloom.

We're running ragged right now in the gardens, too much work to get done, too little time. I have to stop and smell the flowers today.

Meems said...

Hello FlowerLady,
Your DH is a treasure. You two make a great pair!

The Little Gems are certainly a perfect size for smaller gardens. And they smell as lovely as the Grandiflora. Magnolias are one of my favorite lemony scents in the garden.

I can't see the leaves on the grass but the bloom looks like a Fakahatchee to me. A Florida native I use quite a bit around Hoe and Shovel. Google it to verify... there is a dwarf also.
Meems

sweetbay said...

The Magnolias are in full bloom here. I like the Sweetbay magnolias best, even though they don't have that very distinctive Southern iconic look.

Lona said...

Your DH is a keeper. LOL! I think it is a wonderful story. Wow, what a beautiful Magnolia. I love the white blooms that remind me of Southern Magnolias only maybe smaller. I ran upon on this weekend at the arboretum that looked similar to the one you spotted at the Library. To see that it bloomed here with the cold winters made me really want one. Now I am going to be on the hunt for one too. LOL! I expect they will be costly though.

Jan said...

Beautiful photos of the magnolia blooms, F.L.! I recently saw a magnolia tree that had to have been over a hundred years old...it was HUGE. I didn't think to get a photo (as we were on the way to our daughter's college graduation)...but it took up a very large area and the trunk was several feet wide.