Saturday, September 2, 2023

I'm fine. house projects, heat advisories, hibernating

Greetings Folks ~ the past few months have been full. We've had heat advisory warnings for over a month as the weather has been horribly hot and humid. Two more sections of fencing were put up just as this hot weather started so we took a break on doing more. Then my friend Sean who has been doing my fencing work, with my help, has a pulled tendon in his lumbar region from years of sports and heavy lifting with the job he has. So fencing is on hold for the time being until he can heal up. It's still too hot really, so hopefully it will be much cooler when he's ready to put up the next couple of sections of fencing. I am grateful for what has been accomplished. The last time he was here we just cleared stuff away from the old fencing. Stuff is growing back though with all of the rain we've been having. ;-)

Hurricane Idalia went up the west coast of Florida, I'm on the east. What a lot of damage has been done in FL, GA and the Carolinas. I just saw today that three typhoons converged on an area in China and there is great devastation there. The fire in Maui, just horrible. So much tragedy the world over.

There is another possible hurricane headed this way, hopefully NOT. We should know more this weekend.

House projects: laminate flooring was buckling in the kitchen, my dear BIL came to check things out. He took up flooring where we had cut a hole in the floor about 9 years ago when he repaired leaking water pipe under the house. Well, what he found had me in tears. A broken floor joist, but the worst thing he found was the caved in OLD cast iron sewer pipe. This house was built around 1950 - 1951 and cast iron is what they used back then. So, I asked at church is there happened to be a plumber in our church family. There is. He came to Plum Cottage, assessed the work, had two young plumbers from his company come out to do the work. They were here around 5 hours, one young man was doing the work under the house, cutting out the old pipe, grinding off connecting ends for the new PVC pipe, chipping/grinding out concrete. The other one handed down tools, etc. on his belly on the floor most of the time. They did a fantastic job. The owner of the business who came out to assess the job, did not charge me at all.  What a blessing that is for me!!

God sent a young man who does lawn work at a great price, for those who need help. He had seen me one morning as he drove by and wondered 'does she take care of that herself'. I had been out front working on my hedge. Later I found a note and his business card in a baggie tucked by my mailbox flag. For years, since my dear husband has been gone, I have prayed when I am out there working, that some lawn maintenance people would stop and see if they could help and give me prices.  No one ever did until now. This young man works for his dad, and they just live one street over. He has wondered who lived here for years, now he knows. He has spent 15 hours so far and done a great job. There is still more work to do, but I can only afford a little of his work at a time. I am so thankful to God for working this out for me. What a difference in how it looks around here with  the overgrowth being taken care. I felt like crying looking at before and after pictures as to how bad it had gotten around here, since covid happened. I lost my umph,  but with the work that Luis has done, I am feeling motivated to get back out into my gardens and keep on top of things as much as possible. Although, right now, I'm basically just keeping up with mowing until all of this horrible hot weather is over. It's been in the 90's and the real feel temps have been around 100-103.

I will post pictures later. This post is just to let you know I'm still alive, just hibernating.

I thought I had a horrible car problem, thinking it was the transmission, but what it was was that I had accidentally knocked the shifter over into manual.  I didn't even know you could do that. Anyway, that gave me quite the scare. Another nice young man from church helps out the elderly with all kinds of things and he works on cars and he changed my oil, put in a new oil filter, put on new wiper blades, air in tires, at No cost to me.

God is certainly taking care of this widow. I've now got to see about ripping up the floor and replacing the broken floor joist. Right now I'm basically tiptoeing around the area. Replacing the old sewer pipe was the most important thing that needed fixing.

I have termites also, so am going to look into the 'non-tenting' solution. Have heard it is good and you don't have to leave your house, take out all of your food, etc.

I have been stressed to say the least. Have been reading my Bible about not being anxious, listening to or watching devotionals about trusting God to work things out. Learning to 'cast all of my cares on Jesus, because He cares for me'. It is a 'daily' casting of cares. I am learning patience, learning that He is in control, that He knows what is best for me. I'm learning to be thankful in all circumstances. He's not done with me yet and still has plans for this widowed FlowerLady.

Ok, I think I've caught you up on all of what's going on down here at Plum Cottage. Thanks for checking up on me.

I am so looking forward to fall. This coming Friday will be the 54th anniversary of when my dear husband and I said 'I do'. I sure do miss him, the missing never ends, the grief is less, but can be  triggered at times. I watched a Hallmark movie the other night and when it ended I sat in my chair sobbing. Sigh! I miss the laughter, conversations, working/playing together, fixing our meals and making special ones for special times. I miss the twinkle in his deep brown eyes, his deep bass voice,  I miss his ways of showing me he loved me.

Friends, love your spouse, let them know how appreciative you are and how much they mean to you. Each day is a gift with many opportunities to show love and our loved ones need to know they are loved. We will be loved in return. We don't know if, how or when our lives could be changed in a minute. Be kind, show all of the love you can. Be thankful. 

It can be so easy to get discouraged, but faith in God, can lift us out of gloom. We have not been promised a care-free life, but we have been promised that He will never leave or forsake us. We are precious to Him.

Flowers are still blooming and giving me great joy. I am thankful to our awesome Creator for these gifts. I will close this post with the picture below of a lovely hibiscus and a bit of decorative rusty iron.

 

 Love, hugs and prayers, 

FlowerLady


 

18 comments:

Andrea said...

Glad you are ok after the hurricane. You sure have gone through a lot this summer. Yet God has done His wonders for you. I hope you have some consolation on your anniversary date. Beautiful flower! andrea

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I'm so glad for all the good news and help you've had during these past months. So much going on. I love how He lines things up for us, beautiful people to cross our paths. I'm so glad you are safe. There are just so many horrid things happening in our old world. Pain and suffering on every side.

Just the other day, I was reminded of something attributed to Helen Keller, a good reminder: "Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it."

May there be much grace for us all in the overcoming of it.

Wishing you a beautiful September,
Brenda xo

Mrs. White said...

It is wonderful to hear from you and good to hear that there are so many people coming alongside and helping you with needs around the house and yard! What a blessing!

Victoria said...

Good to hear from you. Fall is clearly on its way here. Still hot but the humidity is tapering off which is a big plus. Spring and Summer have seems to whiffle along and I can hardly believe that it is already September.

It's such a blessing when you can't fix something yourself and don't have the means to pay for the fixing to have someone pop up and do it for you free of charge. I can imagine how good it must be to see all that yard work being done for you------it's such a present need (which grows every day) and just having it on your mind as something to somehow be dealt with comes to be a heavy load. Having someone else do most of it for you must lift that heavy burden for you every time you look out the window.

Cheers! Cooler weather is surely on the horizon.

Gretchen Joanna said...

You have a lot on your plate, Lorraine! And your stories about how the Lord provides are never-ending!! Glory to God! That plumbing work would have cost a lot of money, I know from all that I've had done the last several years. Your plumber is a real Christian, looking out for true, worthy widows.

I had an interesting situation this week when I had a huge pile of firewood delivered to my driveway, in full view of the neighborhood. Immediately one neighbor offered me his wheelbarrow with two wheels, to move it behind the gate for stacking, which was great. But not one of my neighbors made a peep about actually helping me to stack it. So I sent an email to the church list, and ended up with seven people contacting me! Five of us over two days did the job. I'm so relieved.

L. D. said...

I am so glad you are ok. I was so concerned as I could imagine some really strong winds and rain. I hate it when things keep breaking down. Those at the church are blessing you but God is blessing them too as they have learned to honor God first by helping others. Jesus preached it and preached it. I am finding that there a lot of things I need to have done by others. My health is not strong and I keep doing things that take a toll on me. I keep thinking I just need to simplify things which means that I might have to let some flower gardens go away and remove bushes and not replace them. I don't like it but neither of my sons live in the state and can not give me help. I am glad you have God on your side.

Lynn and Precious said...

Dear Lorraine, when it rains it pours, on you and I am glad to see how much help you have received on all these unwanted and unneeded troubles. God is watching out for you and you know your are blessed. Some people do not see this good because they are blind to it. I am sorry so much has gone wrong at one time though. Praying for Sean to recover. And praying for your new friend and worker Luis. Lynn

M.K. said...

Rainey, I'm so so thankful that these dear helpers have stepped into your life! That is God, taking care of you, and it is also His church, doing what it's supposed to do :)
In hard times, I have to remind myself over and over of ALL the times in my past when God has been faithful to me, been there for me, helped me. This gives me the courage to trust him in the present and future. He will!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Lorraine. It is good to hear from you! You have sure had some challenges lately, but God is looking out for you and sending good people to help you. Thanks for your words of encouragement. Life is short and uncertain and we must always be grateful for the gifts and people God gives us. You are in my prayers. So glad you were not adversely affected by the Hurricane. Stay safe. See you again soon!

ellen b. said...

Lorraine, It is good to read that you are okay even in the midst of all that has popped up with the sewer pipe and those sad moments of grief. You have a caring church family. May God continue to bless you and your church family. Hope you get a good solution for the termites.

Terra said...

Lorraine, I am happy to read your post and know you are ok, and also that you are receiving help from loving church members. The broken sewer pipe needed to be fixed, and good you found a young man to help you with yard work. Your garden is so beautiful and we see God's creations in it when you share photos.

Henny Penny said...

You have had a lot going on. I think about you any time there is a hurricane. I have a niece living in West palm Beach. So glad to hear that you are ok.

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm said...

Dear Lorraine, it's not easy growing old and a widow. I understand and struggle with you with patience, anxiety, etc. But God...love those words...But God...is able and loves us and cares for us. Sometimes I wonder if He tires of hearing my voice but choose to trust Him in ways seen and unseen. Rejoicing in your blessings of folks stepping up to help you and tucking you in prayer. Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm.

Rebecca said...

October now...I'm wondering if you've been able to address the joist and termite situations yet...
Life has taken a twist here as I fell doing something foolish. It was sidelined me for a couple of weeks and! He end is not in sight.
Then just an hour ago, my father fell (again(. I had to call my husband who was picking apples at a friend's place. Thankfully, I don't think Dad injured himself too severely.
Weather up here turned suddenly cool. Trees are turning... squirrels are busy.
I look forward to hearing things are well with you. ❤️

Homemaker's Heart said...

Hi!! You have been on my mind a lot lately. It's such a bummer that blogger took off the ability to be notified when someone posts. I depended on that. Need a sticky note on my computer that says "hey Dee, pop over and see what she is up to" :-) Are you still creating and posting on your other blog? Glad to hear you are ok from the Hurricane. I love coming to get my flower fix on your blog. They can be a pickle to grow here in Colorado. I had much better luck in Ohio. Hugs to you and wishing you God's peace,
Dee

BeachGypsy said...

Hope you're doing ok, Lorraine, you havent posted in quite awhile. Hope your weather has cooled. And, as always, I love seeing pictures of your pretty flowers!

Red Rose Alley said...

Lorraine, it sounds like you have been busy doing house projects and getting things done. Termites, no fun to have. I hope you find a remedy to get rid of them. Yes, God knows our heart, and always takes care of us. Sometimes those Hallmark shows can be sentimental, but I sure do love the Christmas Hallmark movies. Just checking in to see how you are doing, and I hope you are having wonderful Autumn days. It's starting to arrive here in the mountains.

~Sheri

Anonymous said...

Happy Early Thanksgiving. Try to take the day off. Mary in GA