Tuesday, June 15, 2021

New mattress, new little a.c. much needed rain

Hello Folks ~ Here it is almost the middle of June already. Time is zipping right along. I hope you all are enjoying each day that you are blessed with. 

"When you arise in the morning,

think of what a privilege it is

to be alive...

to breathe,

to think,

to enjoy,

to love."

Marcus Aurelius 

******

Every day is a gift from God. We were created by him. In Acts 17:28a the Bible says:

 For in him we live, 

and move, 

and have our being...

May we be ever mindful of our Creator and Savior. He loves us deeply, more than we realize. One day we will see Him face to face and what a glorious event that will be. As a believer, this gives me much peace for this life and life eternal.

******  

Down here in s.e. FL we finally have gotten some much needed rain. Of course, that liquid sunshine makes everything grow even faster. No rest from gardening in this state, unless you have a gardening crew. There are so many flowers scenting the air, it is wonderful. Sweet almond, blue two lips, thryalis, orange jasmine, other jasmines, roses when there are blooms, begonias (the white angel wing flowers), crepe myrtles (Queen and regular) and I'm sure there are others that I can't think of at the moment.

Thank you all for your comments about mattresses. I went to two different stores in the area, the one where I bought mattress, is Mattress Firm. Even though it was a couple of days after the holiday sale I was given half off on the mattress and on the low profile foundation. I was very pleased with the service, the salesman was nice and helpful. I couldn't afford a new Tempurpedic, which would be my preferred mattress, and he showed me the Sleepys 10" Doze mattress. I have been sleeping so much better. The salesman, Frank, called around to their local warehouses and was able to have the mattress and foundation delivered from Miami the very next day. For a fee, they also carted away the heavy 20 year old Tempur and the foundation. I do recommend this mattress and company, and no they are not compensating me in any way, this is just my own impression/experience.

The morning that they were to deliver, I woke up around 3:30, I couldn't go back to sleep and went out to the kitchen. My big Friedrich's a.c. unit was running and then I heard a click. I looked towards the a.c. and the plug had been tripped. I looked closer and water was dripping AGAIN from the unit. I quickly unplugged it, got the cover off, then proceeded to suck water out of the pan with a turkey baster, as best I could. I noticed a LOT of black mold inside. Oh for Pete's sake! I started looking at small a.c. units on HD's website and they had them on sale for $229. I could have someone install it in the scullery window again and not have to worry about a bigger replacement unit just yet. But, I really needed something to keep this FlowerLady cool, especially sleeping at night.

I texted my friend later in the morning, and he would put the small unit in window for me. He and the mattress delivery guys showed up at the same time. The mattress guys were quick, and Sean had the window unit in soon after. Thank you Sean. While it is only a 6,000 BTU unit, it is keeping this little 675 sq ft cottage cool. I have the setting at eco, auto, and thermostat at 74 for the most part. I've had it going for 11 days now and I'm praying it will last me a good while until I figure out what to do. It's something I am praying about and God will work it all out at the right time. For now I am thankful for this little unit, it is a Toshiba. 

Had a good 'scare' the other evening. I was at the scullery sink, getting ready to fill dishpan with hot sudsy water, when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, and lo and behold there was a young woman standing there looking in. We freaked each other out. I just pointed at her and ran for my sandals and headed out the kitchen door. I loudly said 'hello' several times as I walked around the property. No answer, and it was dead quiet, didn't feel like anyone was there at all. Still, I was shaking, came in and got my phone and car keys to lock the car, and then walked the property. Nothing, I didn't feel anything. I came in, ate one ready taco that I had fixed, didn't feel like the second one.

I prayed to not be afraid and prayed for the young woman.  When it came time for bed, I claimed the verse in Psalms 4:8 ~ 

I will both
lay me down in peace,
and sleep:
for thou, Lord, only

makest me dwell in safety.

I slept just fine all night.

I went to church the next morning and when I came home, I noticed something that answered the mystery as to 'how' this person had gotten into the property, since it is all fenced off. I had checked breachable spaces in fencing night before but nothing looked disturbed. I have two gates that I unlock to get into property, the small side gate, and then the driveway gates to drive through.

She had climbed the small gate to get in, and in her haste to leave the property, she left behind the clue, almost a full can of energy drink. She is in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the love of Jesus grabbed onto her from being here.



Now for some pictures, no words, as my right wrist is starting to bother me. It's been 6 months since I fell and sprained it. That whole arm aches at times, especially if I use it too much.

















Success, I bought and changed out an old leaking spigot. That was so satisfying to have accomplished, even though it was just a small thing. Got a wrench, plumber's tape and did the deed.

Ok, that's it for now. except for a reminder to 'stay hydrated' especially if you are a senior. I need to drink around 80 oz. a day. As a senior, staying hydrated is very important for our overall health and well being.

Love, hugs and prayers,

FlowerLady

 

24 comments:

Nancy J said...

Your garden is always a delight, and new bed, new tap, new A C, and a new visitor, I'm sure your faith and prayers will follow her in her travels.

Lynn and Precious said...

Lorraine, your pictures are worth a 1,000 words, so it is fine not to keep
writing. I love seeing the flowers every time. So when it rains it pours
more problems. You get the mattress settled on, quite nicely it sounds, then
the air conditioner goes wonky. Glad to hear you got sales on both the
bedding and the window unit. Your tired mattress may have contributed to
you not sleeping well for a while. I hope that young woman was only high
on energy drink and nothing more. Stay safe and yes, hydrated. It has
rained here so much the past month or two, that no more can soak into the ground and the lawn grass is lush and needs too much mowing. Lynn and Precious

Kim said...

Hey, Lorraine! So glad you got a mattress set that gives you good sleep and at a good price! And how providential that you woke up exactly when your a/c tripped and was dripping. God certainly takes care of you. I wonder who that young woman could be? Curious little thing! Hopefully, she meant no harm. Maybe your flowers attracted her! Congrats on fixing your faucet! Woohoo!! 🙌 Hope you have a nice rest of the day!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

So thankful that you are safe and that God is watching over you. I too will pray for that young woman. May God give her peace in her heart and keep her safe and away from harm. So thankful God had His angels surrounding your home. Now, so glad you found a good mattress and that it has helped you so much. That is a great answer to prayer for you! I have also been having some body aches and pains, especially in my neck, and I bought a "My Pillow", which has helped, but I am still having issues. Old age just creeps up on our bodies. Your flowers are SO beautiful! Thank you for sharing them with us. Glad your new AC is doing the job. Praying it will continue to be all you need. We've also had AC issues this past month, and God provided us with an honest repairman who solved the problem without much expense, and we are very thankful indeed. Please take care and may God continually bless you and keep you in His loving care. Amen.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Good to hear that you are happy with your mattress purchase. I love the flower images.I am also thankful that God protected you when you had an intruder.

Ann said...

Your flowers are always a treat. They are simply gorgeous. GLad you got a new mattress, nothing worse than sleeping on something that doesn't provide you with a good nights sleep.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello from hot and dry Utah! So glad you got the rain you needed. We are desperate for some here. Such a scare when you saw the girl in your yard. Glad it turned out alright. Also good to hear that you got a nice mattress and an AC unit that is keeping you cool. God bless you with everything you need. Sending virtual hugs to you. :-)

Vee said...

Yay for the new mattress and the new AC unit. Not so yay for the intruder. I must have been watching too much Hercules Poirot as my heart is pounding, All's well that ends well and we can trust God to protect us.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

I wonder what your mystery visitors intentions were. I hope she is safe. Wrist injuries can take so very long to heal completely. Did i spy an Allamanda in those gorgeous floral photos? I have a purple one. It's unfortunate that we who live in the tropics find it a necessity to have airconditioning. I had to replace all of mine last year. new mattress, well done Lorraine!

ellen b. said...

God is good and it's good to read about your protection. Happy to read you are enjoying a new mattress and your repair skills have been strengthened. Beautiful photos!

Henny Penny said...

Your flowers are just beautiful. You do such a good job at everything Lorraine. What would we do without a loving Father to help us through trying times. What would we do with prayer. You take care. Hope your wrist get well soon.

Betty said...

Glad to hear you found your mattress and you got a/c for your cottage. The flowers are beautiful God bless and watch over you, your blog is a bright spot in a crazy world

Mary said...

Glad to read your mattress replacement was successful! But be careful and keep an eye out for signs of anyone returning to your property, as I’m sure you know there are violent women out there as well as men and many with psychiatric problems looking for places to rob, and worse.

Anne Payne said...

First off, THANK GOD you are safe!!! What a scary thing. Second, I'm so glad you found a new mattress and can sleep better now. Third, your flowers are so beautiful, as always. I can just imagine what a delight it is to be surrounded such sweet aromas!!!

Blessings, my friend! xx

Cheryl said...

So happy for you that God provided your mattress and air conditioning! I can't imagine how startling it was to be face to face with someone outside your window! (I am quite impressed that you went outside and walked around and looked. I'd have probably frozen in place!) Praying with you for the young woman and for God's continued protection over you and your property!

R's Rue said...

Your flowers are beautiful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

Glad to hear you got a new mattress and that you like it. And hooray for the new AC unit, too.

That is really unnerving with that young woman on your property. I wonder what she was doing there? I hope you keep your doors and windows locked at all times.

We desperately need rain here in northeast Illinois. Can you believe we're in a severe drought? It's rare, but it does happen.

Have a good week!

Debra said...

Hello-I love your flower photos-so many I have never heard of, living in upstate NY. I hope your new mattress gives you wonderful sleep.

Olde Dame Holly said...

As others have said, keep your property locked up! It's interesting that the homily today was about being prudent, keeping an eye out, keeping insurance up, etc. but beyond all that for true peace of mind, trusting in the Lord! And you do indeed. Lovely photos including a "found heart." !

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Red Rose Alley said...

That red flowering plant is so pretty. I love red flowers and red birds. I'm so sorry the woman startled you that came around your house, Lorraine. What a story, and I wonder what it is she wanted? You handled yourself well, and she was in your thoughts and prayers. So special of you.

It's been pretty warm here in the mountains, but still loving it. I always enjoy coming to visit and seeing what's happening in your world.

~Sheri

Diane Ronzino said...

Your flowers are stunning. Wow! What a gift you have for cultivating them. God bless you!

Lynn and Precious said...

Lorraine, I hope you have a restful July 4th. Lynn and Precious

Terra said...

If I looked out my window in the evening and saw a woman in my fenced yard that would give me quite a start. I would grab my pepper spray cannister, and go out with my 14 pound dog, Bounce, to investigate. I am praying for the intruder that she finds a good way to live and that she finds Jesus.