Thursday, May 30, 2019

Summer is here

Hello Folks ~ here it is late Thurs. morning EST in the USA. I worked outside mowing, trimming, raking and bagging for 1 hr and 45 min. My body started telling me it was time to quit. I was starting to stumble along, always a sign I've done enough, and I was thirsty, hot and tired. 

I checked the weather when I came in and it was 85F with humidity at 65% and real feel 96, real feel in the shade 89. Yesterday morning I worked about 2 hours. It's all I can handle in this kind of weather. I had my pedometer this morning, and that time of gardening only clocked 1471 steps. How on earth do people walk 10,000 steps?? 'They' say that number of steps is what we 'should' be walking. I'm 70, gardening has been my exercise for years and years. I haven't been concerned about how many steps I should be taking, I worked til my body said stop. In my younger years, I could work longer, but not any more. 

This number of steps that 'they' say we 'should' be walking daily is a burden, it makes me feel 'guilty'. Guilty for what? For 'not' doing what 'they' say I 'should' be doing. A verse from the Bible popped into my mind, 

 KJV I Timothy 4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come. 

NIV: "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." 

Hmmmm. Words to ponder for sure. ~ Do what I can, enjoying my time in my gardens and keep my focus on God and what he has done, what He is doing and what He will do.  Sounds like a plan to me.

I've still a pile of trimmings to bag up, and to put curbside, where it is picked up then taken to a facility that turns it all into mulch. I hope to do that later when the sun is not blazing overhead. 

Here are some photos of the little rose 'International Herald Tribune'. Such a pretty rose. First few photos were taken in the morning, the later ones were taken after the sun had crisped the roses. 




 




Ok, that's it for now. I'm ready for lunch, then a nap. 

I read a good thought the other morning from Ann Voskamp's book 'The Broken Way',
"To-do lists can become to-love lists". That is certainly a different and better way of looking at things.

Keep cool or warm wherever you are, keep calm and be thankful.

Pray for those going through the nasty weather of tornadoes and flooding, and those going through early sweltering heat.

FlowerLady

18 comments:

Terra said...

That rose is stunning. About the 10,000 steps, is that for everyone at all ages? Surely 20 somethings would have a higher goal than 70 somethings? I don't count steps, maybe I will try it. I wonder how many steps I take when I walk Bounce twice a day.

Betty said...

I look forward to your blog, I am a gardener too living north of Tampa and find that if I go out at 6:30 I am lucky to work till 9. God Bless you and your kittie

lil red hen said...

Such a sweet post this morning, Flower Lady!
I agree, we older ladies shouldn't feel guilty if we don't take 10,000 steps; just let "they" get older and see if their steps are as lively. ;) When I tire I begin to stumble also; I blame it on low blood sugar?

This is a beautiful little rose! How do you keep your roses looking so healthy? We've had so much rain, first all winter and then spring, that my roses have lost all their leaves but have begun putting on new ones. We're not far from the Arkansas River where it is in historical flood stage; however we aren't in any danger from it.

L. D. said...

You did a good job of capturing the changing colors. It is a pretty flower. I just finished mowing and while putting the mower away I was getting tipsy. I too tend to look stumblely as I walk we I get to hot. I have ice tea right now with lots of ice.

Ann said...

Working out in the heat can take a lot out of you. You're smart to quit when your body says you've had enough.
Those roses are beautiful.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

That single layer rose is so pretty, such a perfect pink.

Right now as I wait for my scheduled knee surgery, I can't even imagine walking 10,000 steps. Maybe someday. I believe that the physical work of gardening is just as healthy as the 10,000 steps and has a lot beautiful plants, flowers, fruits, and vegetables to show for it when you are done.

Ruth Hiebert said...

You must know that the rose pictures are just what I love to see. I am also almost 70 and can no longer do what I used to do.I get tired quicker and need to rest more often.Oh well, we cn still do many things and for that I wan to be thankful.

Vee said...

Oh you did exactly the right thing. When a gal starts staggering, it’s time to get some water and take a break. Your flowers are gorgeous!

Barbara H. said...

Relax about the steps! NPR says for 4,000 is enough for increased longevity and after 7,500 steps the benefits decrease. The history of where 10,000 came from is interesting, too. Hopefully here is the link but I found it easily searching using npr 10000 steps.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/05/29/727943418/do-you-really-need-10-000-steps-per-day

Kit said...

Such lovely roses! I am waiting patiently for mine to bloom. Love, KK

Junkchiccottage said...

You guys in Florida have been really having hot hot weather. Hey any moving makes a difference so you go girl with what you can do. You also need to stay hydrated and be careful in that heat. Your garden flowers are always wonderful to see.
Happy Friday.
Kris

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

a lot of years past you
kept gardening and doing all I love
until 2 years ago
makes me sad
but
happy a little help
love you
Lorraine
proud of all you share
I read
but do not comment often at this time
so pleased seems over the heart attack 3 months ago
and have gained 5 lbs, 7 more to go.

Pam's English Garden said...

Just like you, Rainey, I have to listen to my body and stop when needed! I love the Bible quote. Oh, and that little rose is adorable! I heard you were getting record heat -- stay safe. P x

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful flower blooms, glorious colour.

All the best Jan

ellen b. said...

Hello dear lady. Yes and amen, it is good to listen to your body. Spending time with God is better than 10,000 steps for sure. Now I'm finding a good combination of listening to sermons with my Bose head phones that block out the horrible noise of my riding lawn mower but send the sermon nicely into my ears from my cell phone. Your flowers are lovely. I'm waiting right now for the sun to get closer to setting so I can go out an water some flowers. Hope you have a wonderful Lord's day!

The Liberty Belle said...

Thank you for sharing the Bible verse. You blossoms are very pretty.

crafty cat corner said...

just to let you know that I am going to resume blogging but making this for other authors only, this should stop spam and any other unwanted readers. sorry for messing about. This means other bloggers like yourself will be able to read but general public will not.
Briony
x

M.K. said...

That sweet rose is just lovely. I think those number of steps are for people who are 40, not 70, and for those who are just walking, not WORKING -- bending over, moving things, pulling things, carrying things. That's real exercise! Do NOT feel guilty at all. You are amazing to be doing all you are doing, and it is keeping you fit. At our age, we shouldn't be worrying about weight nor sizes.