Friday, November 9, 2018

November Blooms & living room bookcases

Hello Folks ~ Can you believe it is almost Thanksgiving, and then Christmas is right around the corner? This year really has zipped by.

This week I changed out my bedspread from spring/summer to fall/winter.  Miss Tork doesn’t care what the season is, she enjoys the bed anytime of year.

image

Also put on a favorite sheet set that I got at a small flea market for $8. I save these for this time of year also. I was thrilled when I saw these. They are queen or king size and my bed is a double, but they work for me. I love the floral design.

11-09-sheet-design

11-09-sheet-design2

As I start to work on this post, I listened to some lovely instrumental Christmas music. Really early for me with the music, but I felt like it.

Christmas Songs

I emptied containers of books into the new-to-me bookcases and added bits & pieces of decorative  ‘objects d’art’ from around the cottage.

11-03-bkcases

The bunch of grapes are made of alabaster. While we were living in Spain, when DH was in the US Navy, 70-73, a Navy friend of his went to Italy and DH asked his friend to get these for me. The stem is a real grape stem. The brass oil holders were bought at a flea market while we were there.

Books on next shelf are most of my ‘first’ cookbooks. The little pumpkin I crocheted this year from a pattern I found online.

11-03-shelf5

The clock doesn’t work, and is set to the time when God called DH home.

More cookbooks.

Bottom shelf has bookends that are DH’s initials that I bought at our flea market many, many years ago, 50 cents each. They might be made of walnut. They are resting on sweet, wonderful books by Jerri Landers. I love these. She is an exceptional artist in many mediums. You can visit her blog here, Hopalong Hollow Gazette.

11-03-shelf2

On this shelf is an old ‘white or pot’ metal statue we bought at our local flea market a long, long time ago. The jug we bought in Spain in an area of the country where they are famous for making all sorts of things using the red clay and painting technique.

Next is a piece of coral. Then in the background is an old icon of Mary and Baby Jesus. The ‘Bible’ is made out of marble. The lettering is etched into the marble. on the side it says, ‘Learn of Me’.

11-03-shelf1

This shelf is filled with natural ways of healing, aromatherapy, herbs. The brass mortar & pestle were bought in Spain.

11-03-shelf3

Some of our rock collection. The two heart shaped rocks DH bought for me from a garden center that had different bins of rocks. He asked the lady if he could pick out two rocks shaped like hearts and only buy them instead of by the pound or however they were being sold. She said yes, and he looked through them and picked out these two.

I bought David and Venus at our local flea market for $6. They are some sort of composition material.

11-03-david-venus

Gardening books.

11-03-shelf4

Now for some blooms from Plum Cottage Gardens

11-09-plum-cottage

11-09-plum-cottage2

‘Blue Lips’

11-09-blue-lips

‘Mexican Petunia’

11-09-mex-petunia3

Orchids

11-09-orchidsjpg

‘Plumbago’

11-09-plumbago

‘Wild Petunia’

11-09-wild-petunia

Unknown

11-09-unkn

A ‘carpet’ rose.

11-09-carpet-rose

‘Granada’

11-09-granada

11-09-granada2

‘International Herald Tribune’

11-09-int-herald-trib

11-09-int-herald-trib3

11-09-int-herald-trib2

‘Louis Philippe’ or ‘Florida Cracker Rose’

11-09-louis-philippe

11-09-louis-philippe2

11-09-louis-philippe3

‘Mozart’

11-09-mozart

11-09-mozart2

Unknown

11-09-noid

11-09-noid2

11-09-noid3

‘Pink Muhly’ grass

11-09-pink-muhly-grass

11-09-pink-muhly-grass2

‘Hibiscus tree’ bloom

11-09-hibsicus-tree-flower

‘Hibiscus tree’ leaves’

11-09-hibiscus-tree-leaves

Let your hearts be filled with thanksgiving. Let us give thanks to our Creator God, Jesus, for all that He has done for us out of His GREAT LOVE for us. Let us trust in Him, believe in Him. He is the Savior of the world.

Happy November

FlowerLady

34 comments:

Louca por porcelana said...

Amen!Happy Thanksgiving!What a beautiful post with stunning flowers!

Terra said...

I love this peek into your home decor and hearing some of your stories behind the art objects. I see you have the David sculpture, one of my favorites, I spent quite a bit of time admiring the original in Florence. Your old garden sculpture of St. Francis looks handsome and I like how you set the time on the old clock to match the important hour.

Melanie said...

Your bedroom is so pretty and cozy. And I really like those book cases in your living room. Love the story about your husband and the heart rocks. So nice to see flowers...we got our first snow here this morning. Just a dusting, but still pretty early to get snow in this area.

lil red hen said...

Sweet Miss Tork!! Your bookcases look nice, and as usual, I love all the pretty flowers you show us. We're expecting our first killing frost tonight, so I gathered a few remaining flowers to bring inside to put into vases, and potted plants to try to bring through the winter. I enjoy your Christian testimony.

Nancy J said...

Your garden and your home are full of love and glorious colour outside. Love the new arrangement in your room, the books and ornaments compliment each other so well. Thanks to everything down here, we have a home to stay in, a new home to go to, and the new owners of our other home are the most loving delightful family.

Stacey said...

Your cottage is so cozy and nice, Lorraine.

I'm just loving your flowers. We are supposed to get our first freeze tonight so mine will be leaving. I always hate that!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I enjoy all your photos.Love to see your cozy home, but I must admit that I look forward to those beautiful blooms you post. Especially at this time of year, when no flowers are blooming outside and it is getting quite cold. Have a wonderful weekend.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Your bookshelves and the way you have everything arranged in them look great. I liked seeing your collection of rocks, and all of your pretty and interesting mementos.

We had freezing temperatures here near St. Louis this evening with cold wind and a little snow which made black ice on the roads. A wintery evening, and it is only early November. I'm not a fan of winter.

Seeing all of your different flowers in bloom was a real treat. I picked my last two roses and one bud from my Austin Christopher Marlowe rose yesterday before they were damaged by the rain/snow. They scent the whole room. My knockout roses, which are sheltered right against the house, still had quite a few blooms on them. I don't know if they will after tonight.

Your plum cottage is looking so pretty.

Ann said...

The bedroom looks like a cozy spot and Miss Tork seems to really enjoy it.
The shelves look great filled with all those wonderful treasures. All those flowers are so pretty. You won't see any around here. I woke up this morning to find everything covered in snow.

crafty cat corner said...

Thankyou Lorraine for the lovely quotes left recently on my post, I loved them.
Briony
x

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

HI!! Your little cottage looks so lovely with your new bookcases. I love the quilt on your bed too. It was a lovely stroll through your flowers. I have never seen a Hibiscus the color of the flowers on your tree. Very unique. My grandson and his wife are in Miami visiting her family. They drove through when the tornadoes were hitting. I sent him a video of the snow we are getting and he says he'll stay there a little longer. I'm sure he is kidding. It's just too early for me to listen to Christmas music, even if it IS snowing, lol.
xx, Carol

Henny Penny said...

Lorraine, your little cottage is adorable! That first picture, well, I could absolutely spend the day in there. It is so sweet and cozy. I love it! Plum Cottage is just plum pretty!

Out on the prairie said...

On such a cold and blustery day it is so nice to see all your blooms. i told my daughter I was going to change my Facebook home to FL just to hope to see some warm this winter.LOL I remember back in the 60's my mother made the grape clusters for everyone using a molten acrylic in many colors.We collected driftwood for many, all her friends had one.I went to Florence, Italy just to specifically see their statue of David

Terry said...

Hi Lorraine!

The cottage looks beautiful! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Terry

GretchenJoanna said...

Rocks and books and clocks and candlesticks -- I love your collections! Throw in a few dolls, and it looks like my shelves. And your bedroom is so warm and homey - the cat on the bed completes the welcoming effect!

Kit said...

Your place looks lovely!! I love your bedroom. Your new set up in your living room looks great. Nice to have your mementos about you. :) Love, KK

Anne Payne said...

Looks like you are getting things done at Plum Cottage. The blossoms are all lovely! I have a Pink Muhly grass and it'a huge...so heavy it is falling over.
I can't believe how fast this year has flown by either.
Have a blessed Sabbath!

Dewena said...

Your bookshelves tell the story of your life, Lorraine. Well, your home does to and those are my favorite kinds of homes. I always look at the bookshelves when I visit someone, fascinated by what other people read. Those bookshelves really turned out nice there and I love it that you change your bed linens to reflect the seasons changing. Your bedroom is so cozy! My bedskirt is a cabbage rose pattern and I love it so much.

My favorite of your garden blooms today is that lovely shade of purple International Herald Tribune!

ellen b. said...

You still have so many pretty blooms. I love being surrounded by books and you filled your shelves nicely with them and things that bring good memories for you. Have a good week ahead!

Cheryl said...

I am still loving this bookshelf wall in your living room! It was a fabulous idea and I love how you have personalized the space.

Awwww . . . Miss Tork looks quite content there on "her" bed!

Janneke said...

Wow, a wonderful post I love this from the beginning to the end. You have such a cozy bedroom, understand your cat to sleep there all year. It was fun to have a look on your 'new'bookshelves, I love books so I also like to see what other people read and you decorated them lovely with all your sweet memories. Last but not least I always admire you for your great tropical garden, with all these plants which won't grow in our gardens, even the roses are different ones as we have here.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, I always love seeing pretty flowers in your yard --especially when ours are mostly all gone. It is COLD (30's all day today) and WET/RAINY here in TN today....

Your home looks better and better every time you work on it... It looks SO inviting...

Sounds like you are doing well....

Hugs,
Betsy

Connie said...

What a lovely post, your garden is beautiful and I am sure it brings you much pleasure. I love your bedroom, it looks so warm and cozy . . . I might go in and never want to come out . . . at least until I've read every book :)
Have a very sweet day.
Connie :)

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Lorraine, your bedroom looks so restful and pretty. I love bookshelves in any room. Your winter bedding is very pretty and just adds to peacefulness of your room. Sounds like you are changing things up a bit. That is always a good way to keep our spirits up..Happy Tuesday and thank you so much for your visit...Judy

Rue said...

Your bedroom is one of my very favorites. I really wish I had room to put more books in our bedroom. And I love your bedding... so cozy!

I love the rock story and the bookshelves look great! Filled with everything that should be in them :)

love to you,
rue

Darcie said...

Yes, this year has sped by at warp speed, and I've failed in getting by my favorite blog as much as I like too. I love all that you've adorned your bookshelves with, so many personal items to draw you back over and over again. The clock story pulled at my heartstrings. Much love and heart hugs for you! Have a Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!!!

outlawgardener said...

Lots of beautiful flowers as always in your wonderful climate! You've done such a great job with your re-do of your living room and I love seeing your wonderful collections and hearing their stories.

Jillayne said...

Your bedroom looks beautiful and cozy, and must be a lovely place to curl up. I love the floral pattern on those sheets too - so beautiful.
This year has sped by, and I haven't stopped by to say "hello" nearly as much as I would have liked, but I think of you, and hope you are well and safe, and happy. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, this seems a perfect time to stop in and tell you I'm thinking of you and hoping you have a pleasant holiday in your beautiful little home.
Take care, and big hugs,
jillayne

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Wonderful to see all of your treasures collected through the years! Everything looks lovely - including your very cozy and pretty bedroom. I can see why your sweet kitty loves it there. Looking at your books, I can see we are kindred spirits.....Love all the gorgeous flowers in your amazing gardens. I must be content with pansies for now :) Sending hugs and blessings for your Thanksgiving day. xo Karen

M.K. said...

Good morning, FL!! All is looking cozy, happy, and beautiful at your place. Thank you for the stroll through your shelves. Boy, I saw a few books I'd like to read :) . Your collectibles are lovely. And I'm amazed at all you have blooming this time of year! So many of your blooms go perfectly with the happy color of your cottage.

Well, now I'm happily listening to your Christmas music you linked to ... and I've just subscribed to that Hopalong Hollow blog you linked to as well. She's an amazing artist! Thanks for all the joy this morning!

bj said...

Oh, wow...those bookcases look sooo good. I wish you could come work on mine...:(
Love floral sheets...your bedroom looks so warm and cozy

suziqu's thread works said...

Your home is so "homely" warm, cosy and inviting. Love your bed quilt and those prints are beautiful as are all of your garden flowers, roses, plumbago and grasses. Simply charming Lorraine. Well done to you dear!
Sending some pre-Christmas warmth and hugs,
Suzy

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

Rainey, the visit around your home is lovely...such coziness and warmth and I like the sheets as well. At a thrift store, yesterday, I purchased a pitcher made in Spain. I don't need it but it's so sweet and made in Spain...so it came home with me.

L. D. said...

You have a wonderful library in your bedroom. It gives it such a cozy feel and he cat asleep on the quilt is perfect. I like hearing about all your displayed objects. When I moved I tried not to throw away anything that still had a personal story. Your flowers are looking great. You have such a great variety of blooms. The roses are so nice to see. We are in a total freeze now so only those that I brought inside the house are in bloom. I really enjoyed all that you have share. I also appreciate all the time you took to make it a fun posting.