Friday, August 24, 2018

A burden lifted

Well Folks, it was quite the morning yesterday. The crew showed up at 9:13, and were done at 11:27. They worked hard and fast, no dilly-dallying and I talked to one of the men afterwards and found out they had already done one job before coming here and had two more to do in the afternoon. They cleaned everything up!!!

I don’t see how they can do this work day in and day out, especially in the heat. They were all soaked when they left here.

I did feel bad about losing the palm, but it was way too close to the house, roots were spreading over the patio stones, going under the patio stones, and moving along the foundation of patio and house. The fronds at times hit the power lines, not good, sending sparks here and there. It is a relief to not have this worry on my anymore. No more falling fronds.

I can enjoy the neighbor’s palm to the east, who have one of these. It is a one story apt. complex next door, maybe 8 apts. For the past few years, the new owners, who I do not know, have been renting to veterans. They are relativey quiet and keep to themselves. They are only loud when they are all watching some game or other together, yelling for their teams. Sometimes I smell delicious barbecue aromas.

None of the owners of this complex have ever taken care of the overgrown trees since we moved here, the summer of 1973. My dear husband used to cut limbs back from our side. We would then cut them up to manageable sizes and haul them out front to be picked up by the county for grinding into mulch.

Yesterday this crew came with a bucket truck for cutting the palm into sections, and they had their own grinding machine spewing the grindings into a truck. The palm sections could not be ground as it was just too fibrous and would bind up the grinder blades. The sections cut from the tree were about 3’ in length, then on the ground were cut up into more manageable pieces for the guys to carry/lift into truck. Those chunks were heavy.

It is always a shock when things are cut ‘way’ back, but when I went out and did a little walk about, it just felt so much more open and brighter of course. Everything will grow back, except for the palm. Stuff grows so fast down here, especially when we have a lot of rain.

I am glad this is done, giving me some respite for 2-3 years, before having to have things trimmed again, well except for the stuff that grows over the driveway, that will probably be 6 months. The front hedge really was scalped, but once I get out there to weed wack the grass in the one foot swale that is between sidewalk and the hedge row, it will look nicer. I remember the last time my dear husband tackled the two jasmine vines in the front hedge row and I was shocked because it looked so bare, but, those vines are tenacious and will fill in once again, as will everything else.  I think I’ll throw some 4 o’clock seeds into the hedge row and maybe a few other things as well. There are red firecracker plants growing out there and they are nice.

Now for some before and after pics.

08-23-driveway        08-24-driveway-south2   

08-23-driveway-north2      08-24-driveway-north

      The ficus to the left of photo below was at least 10-12 ft. tall.

08-20-front-patio

What a difference, so much more open and you can see the trees across the street in the background.

08-24-front-patio

08-23-front-patio2

 08-24-ficus-east-gate

The palm, an end of an era.   

08-23-palm-before   08-23-one-frond-left08-23-palm-center      08-23-starting to-section

08-23-palm-sections

  08-23-stump   

Front hedge definitely got a haircut. I just need to weedwack the grass, hopefully tomorrow morning.

08-23-sidewalk-before      08-23-sidewalk-after

I’m standing out on the sidewalk looking northwest at Plum Cottage. What a difference without all of the foliage from trees. It really won’t take long though before it fills back in and not feel so bare and ravaged.

 08-23-plum-cottage

I look forward to moving potted plants back in place, and moving others into new spaces to make it all compact and easier to care for for me. I have felt hints of fall coming and those are wonderful. DH used to laugh at me when I would mention in August, “fall is coming”. We still have Sept to get through. It is really hot and bright and humid outside today. I did grocery shopping this morning and will be taking a nap shortly. It’s hibernation time.

I hope there won’t be too many that will hold against me, the taking down of the palm. It was truly a necessity.

When I went out this morning it felt as if gloom and a burden have been lifted and I am oh so thankful to God for working all things out. There is still more to do in taking care of this property, but this particular gift to me has given me more hope and trust in God who has a plan for me. He answers prayer, he nudges others to help out and I am thankful more than words can express.

There is more sunlight coming into the living room, especially through the stained glass window on the east where the driveway is.

Grass needs mowing. My B&D electric lawn mower that I’d had for three years, 2 yr. warranty, started smoking and not running right. I spent a couple of weeks googling electric mowers and ordered one this past Sunday. Just got an email it was shipped today, should be here by next Wednesday. This is a Greenworks 18-Inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25012. I may have to use the weedwacker before it gets here. I hope not. Did that last week on some high grass that needed it and using that tool is such a wear out. I’ll let you know what I think of this mower. Making decisions by myself is nerve wracking.

The same day my lawn mower smoked and croaked, a few minutes later I was raking with my favorite rake that I’ve had for years, and the handle broke right where it attaches to the rake tines. For Pete’s sake. I was able to get the wood out of the rake part, trim down the handle and then screw two things back together. This is maybe the 3rd time this has had to be done. Eventually I’ll have to break down and get a new handle if not a new rake, as tines are starting to break off too. Winking smile

It’s time for a cup of Pukka Cleanse tea. This tea is delicious and healthy. Ingredients are: Nettle leaf (40%), peppermint leaf (25%), fennel seed (25%), dandelion root, licorice root, aloe vera leaf (concentrated natural extract).Naturally caffeine-free. 100% organically grown and ethically sourced. (Info from Amazon).

I have a relatively new electric tea kettle and love it. My old pyrex pot cracked when I forgot about it and it ran dry. So that when I moved it off the hot glass stove top onto cooler section, snap, crackle and pop.  That was the end of that.  This was another item I googled. It is a Hamilton Beach Gooseneck. Heats the water to boiling very quickly. Much faster than waiting for water to boil on the stove.

Mug says, ‘Celebrate the little things’. The honey is Florida Orange Blossom honey. Hmm, hmm.

08-24-tea-time

I’ll be doing a future post on the Moringa Tree leaf powder and general info on this ‘miracle tree’.

I received an email awhile back from Four Roses Bourbon. Jackson & Perkins has come out with an Anniversary Rose to celebrate the Four Roses Bourbon’s 130th anniversary. The email said in essence, since I am a rose lover, would I write a review of this rose in exchange for the receipt of this rose when it is available in my area. (Should be next month.) The rose is beautiful, red of course, and should grow well in my zone and it will grow in containers also. I am excited. Of course, I wrote back ‘yes’.

They will also send me a bottle of their signature Four Roses Bourbon. There is a love story attached to this bourbon and the flavor description sounds delicious. I will be celebrating our 49th anniversary on Sept. 8th and maybe this will arrive by then so that I can have a little celebratory drink.

So, things are happening. Life goes on, one day at a time. I am thankful for the gift from God, the Great Creator, of each new day I am blessed with. We go and grow through things in this life, hopefully drawing us closer to Him. He loves us more than we can imagine.

Time for supper now, a Marie Callender’s Creamy Mushroom/Chicken pot pie is baking. They were 4 for $10, 15 oz. size. Good deal! I love these when I don’t feel like cooking.

Have a great weekend everyone, wherever you are. Count your blessings. Love others, hug someone, be kind, be forgiving, encourage others.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

 

27 comments:

Buttons alias Grace said...

WOW, what a difference. It was worth doing and I am sure it feels like a weight off your shoulders. The light through the stained glass window would be beautiful. It is nice to get things cleaned up in our lives and surroundings to see what we have been missing and may have been there all the time. Take care, enjoy the tea. Hugs B

Betsy Banks Adams said...

That is amazing ---and I know you are pleased to get that work done. We have had our big trees topped a few times since moving here in 2003... BUT--we need to do some again. We don't want those big (beautiful) shade trees sharing their branches near our home/roof.... Amazing how fast things do grow though....

CONGRATS.
Hugs,
Betsy

ellen b. said...

Looks like your space got a nice haircut! Looks very good. Thank you for your encouraging words!

Nancy J said...

Friends who come, work, clean up and go, are a huge blessing in our lives too. The opened up walkway and drive are so refreshing, enjoy that freedom from picking up huge fronds.The new kettle, what a wonderful shape, almost too pretty to hide away , leave it on show every day.

Morning's Minion said...

What a busy few days you have had. It is reassuring when things that threaten to be overwhelming are quite miraculously worked out. How quickly we can forget that just as we have been blessed in the past, we will again be rescued and comforted in times of need.
I am always amazed that you can garden in the intense heat and humidity. I don't last very long outside in such weather.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I am happy for you, that all this work got done. This living alone is hard, especially when decisions have to be made. Hope you have a good weekend.

Terra said...

What a nice boost to your spirits to have all that heavy duty garden work done, especially the palm tree removal, and now you have more light and open space. I have an electric tea pot too that is similar to yours, I like the gooseneck spout.

Ann said...

Wow, they did a good job of cleaning that tree out of there. You would never know it had been there. As much as I love seeing trees of any kind, sometimes they just have to go. I can just imagine how wonderful it looks with the sun shining through the stained glass window.

crafty cat corner said...

Such a lovely warm post and thankyou for that. I wouldn't worry about the palm coming down although I know how you feel. I felt guilty cutting my Jasmine back this morning after it had grown so well all Summer.
It's nice and sunny here today and getting so much cooler. I don't know how you stand the heat in your Summers, we have had it hot this year and it doesn't suit either of us.
Let's hope you get that 49th celebrated how you want.
Hugs
Briony
x

jerilanders said...

Losing a big tree gives one an entire new perspective. It's happened to us a few times and takes a bit of getting used to. But you have a much nicer open space now, I like it!

Kit said...

Oh my dear friend! Everything looks wonderful. I love a freshly pruned yard. I am working on my own trees right now. I am so glad those men came to help you. Sometimes we have to remove a tree even if we really don't want too. I had to take out a maple since it was just too close to the house. I keep some of those pies in my freezer when we need a quick but good dinner. You take care and enjoy the beginning of Fall. Love, KK

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh WOW! Your place looks great!! I pretty much like an overgrown look, but then when you see the difference a trim makes it looks better. I imagine the vegetation does grow quickly there. We have had so much hot and humid weather, our yard looks like a tropical forest.
have a great Sunday.
xx, Carol

fiona said...

Hello

It is like a whole new path has been opened for you.

M.K. said...

A pot pie is a delicious thing, for sure. I'm so glad you had that tree cut down. I looked at the various photos, and I thought, "hmm. Yes. Probably a good idea." Then I saw the photo showing how CLOSE it was to your house!! Yikes!! I'm very glad it's gone. I know those fronds must've been a constant worry, falling from the sky, and they're not small.

The tea kettle looks very nice. We went through three of those countertop electric kettles, trying so hard to find one that would last. We once did spring for a rather pricey one, but for some reason (maybe the water in our area?) they all began to leak badly, and we had to throw them out. We went back to an old fashioned tea kettle on the stove top. But I do hope yours is a better brand and lasts better.

Glad to see you back here, FL. It's been a very long, discouraging summer in many ways -- a time to hibernate, as you say. Sometimes I'd love to fall asleep and escape the sorrows of life, much like a bear in winter. But life goes on, as you say, and we must go on with it.

Anne Payne said...

Oh, Rainey! Your post made me cry. Not because of the Palm. I can see that it needed to come down. It's always sad to see such a beauty have to go but sometimes it is necessary. Your place looks lush and ready to burst forth with more growth! Near the end you said how hard decisions are and how God brings you through...He does!!! I have had a struggle lately and He is faithful!!! Love you, my friend!

Stephanie said...

Hello, lovely lady! What a joy to pop in for a visit...it's been way too long!

I can't help but stand in awe of your transformed yard. Indeed, it looks more lush, green, and ready for new life. Like Anne said, God always brings your through the hard times.

Thank you for the delightful visit to my blog today. Your comments always touch my heart. Hugs to you!

Melanie said...

Those before and after pictures sure show the difference, don't they! Your property looks so much more open and clear now. I can totally understand why you had that palm removed; it was causing you so many problems. We had one cool day this week where it actually felt like an October day (too soon!), but yesterday was back to hot and humid here in IL. We were out and about today at a vintage fair and I didn't last long. By the time we got back to the car, I was feeling sick. We saw a pregnant woman pass out at the fair, too! (Someone called 911 and the paramedics arrived within a few minutes.) Have a good week and enjoy your naps in the cool house!

GretchenJoanna said...

It sounds like you know people who would criticize you for cutting down the palm? I can't imagine....

Your place still looks pretty lush to me! I think I would feel panicky with all those very eager plants always growing so enthusiastically, even if they do produce the MOST beautiful flowers ;-)

Karen said...

Rainey, I'm so happy for you that the tree was taken down and the job went well. I can well imagine the stress of having to deal with the fallen fronds and all the worry, and now it is one less thing you have to handle. I felt the same way when we cut 'Willie the Willow' down; I loved the huge tree, but it was always messy and I worried about 'him' falling into the house. There was so much more sky to see after the willow was gone, but yes, I do miss the shade. Still, it is nice not to worry about cars parked underneath it; willows are brittle. I was always afraid a visitor's car would be squished!

I'm always thinking of you and sending you a hug and prayers. :-)

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

What a difference, Lorraine, and it must be so nice to get that extra sunshine through the stained glass!

The Wykeham Observer said...

It's hard to take any tree down, but it's also possible in some future storm that it could have come down and damaged something. Anyway, your place looks like it is coming along and the clear paths and the archway look good! As it starts to cool in the later fall, I'm sure you will be getting a lot more done than you might expect! I remember those summer doldrums when I lived in Miami, and just seeing the constant rain and never-ending vegetative growth seemed overwhelming. I always thought the cooler season brought more hope. Phil, MN

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

Hi Rainey - yes, it's SO difficult, making decisions by yourself. So many things need two minds to make a wise decision; it's overwhelming! Finding people (men) to help is such a hard job. When I moved here, there was a young man but through talking to various local Sheriff's, found out he needed to leave and not come back. Now, someone else is helping when he can (which is not often enough to suit me...haha) but when he's here, he's a hard worker. This weekend, he mowed the scrub brush between the driveway and horse pasture...it looks fabulous!
As to cutting down the palm, no one's business except your own so don't worry about it.
I have an electric kettle, got used to it when Dave and I were in London. I've been on a hibiscus tea kick...so delicious.

outlawgardener said...

An amazing transformation! So nice that this all worked out and one burden has been lifted. Sad to see the palm go but it sounds like it couldn't be avoided.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

That all makes such a difference, Lorraine. I am happy you got it done. I really commend you for all that you do to keep your garden up. I know that is a big job for one person but you do it all justice. It will all grow and fill in and be as pretty as ever and more manageable for you..Have a great week..xxoJudy

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Wow what a big difference and a great job done! It does feel so good to have things cleared and tidied up. How I wish I could find some help....or that I could afford help with clearing outside buildings! Enjoy your new cleared space!

bj said...

Omygoodness...the difference is amazing...they did a great job and everything looks so pretty.

Not sure why I couldn't find your blog...so many listed on your profile and I thought I went thru all of them...just one of those Senior Moments, I guess. Thanks for letting me know it was Musings....

I love those pot pies, too...try to keep one or two in the freezer. It is so hard to learn to cook for one....it is easier to do these pies than try to cook something.

I relate to it being hard to make decisions on your own. Mr. Sweet took care of so many things and now, I am doing it. I have a son and daughter close that advise me on most things I'm unsure of. I HATE BEING ALONE !!

Pam's English Garden said...

If you are like me, you don't like change, but you will like the openness so much, Lorraine, now the palm has gone. Good decision. P. x