Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Endless Coleslaw




The recipe below is delicious. You can't quit eating it. DH's dear sweet Aunt made this for us when we visited she and our dear Uncle a few years back, in their home in upstate NY
.

I do believe it is my favorite coleslaw recipe.

Enjoy!




3 lb. (1 med. head) cabbage, shredded
1/2 green bell pepper, finely shredded
1/2 red bell pepper, finely shredded
1 medium onion, chopped
1 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

This recipe makes 12 servings. In large bowl combine shredded cabbage, peppers and onion; set aside. ~ To make dressing: In a 1 qt. stainless steel saucepan combine vinegar, oil, sugar, dry mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, and boil 3 minutes. Pour hot dressing over cabbage mixture and toss well. Let stand at room temperature 30-60 minutes, tossing occasionally. ~ For best flavor, cover and refrigerate two days before serving. Keeps refrigerated up to 10 days.

I did not have the bell peppers, so added sliced baby carrots,
and I used extra virgin olive oil.
Also, it's great right after it marinated for that first hour,
but it only gets better.
We had some at lunch too and I love it.





Zone 10 ~ s.e. FL


11 comments:

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

That's very close to my mom's recipe. It's so much better the second day. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe Rainey! I've been looking for a good one for ages.

Jane

Lona said...

My grandma always made her coleslaw like this recipe. It is delicious!

LeSan said...

That sounds delicious and I am ready for the picnic!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Good morning everyone ~

Tom ~ It does get better with age.

Jane ~ You'll love this.

Hocking Hills Gardener ~ I'd never heard of this recipe until we had it.

LeSan ~ It is delicious! It would be great picnic fare.

FlowerLady

Dirt Princess said...

I am saving this recipe! I love that kind of cole slaw, it isn't runny or mushy!

Carol said...

Yummy! Cabbage is so good for us and we can buy it local and it keeps in the fridge for a few weeks. carol

gld said...

I have been making almost this same recipe for maybe 30 years. It is my favorite too. I love that it keeps in the fridge and just gets better and better.

I will be copying down yours to keep on file....sometimes I have to hunt a bit to refresh my memory of mine!

Carol said...

Thank you for your comment Flower Lady! I am known as floras on Blotanical. I am not sure why I chose that. I love your music... it makes me want to keep writing. Do you ever use the purple cabbage for your recipe? Carol

D said...

Hello ".. Lady", so happy you stopped by and introduced yourself. We love slaw and will think of you when I make this recipe (but will x the green peppers...I love them but its not a mutual understanding). Thanks

Corner Gardener Sue said...

That does sound good, and I was thinking it would be good with canola oil, too.