Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Scary weather!!

This post was started the morning of 23 January ~ Good morning Folks ~ I am thankful for this new day. It’s still dark, so I can’t check out my property, but my little Plum Cottage is still here, we did not lose electricity. I woke up at 2:22 a.m. this morning, heard thunder, so turned on the light and then turned off the a.c. It had been windy all day with winds from 18-20 mph. They had predicted showers for today, they did NOT say anything about the horrible, scary weather that blasted over here for about 40 minutes. I gathered matches, candles, an LED pen flashlight, then sat in the bathroom praying and reading a book on prayer. I had started this book the day before, and it seemed apropos to read more of this right while in the middle of a frightening storm. I’ve been ‘more afraid’ of storms since we had tornado warnings last January. Being by myself in this little wooden cottage makes it all seem worse too. Rain beating on house and awnings can be very loud, the buffeting wind is scary too.

I had turned off my computer around 6:30 so did not see anymore weather news and I’m glad I didn’t because I would have just worried, instead of sleeping good like I did til the storm woke me up.  I read a comment this morning that one of my commenters on my blog wrote mentioning she had seen the warnings for FL for tornadoes,  so I googled tornado activity for FL this month/year, and sure enough, some tornadoes touched down a little north of us and some south.

I ‘hate’ being afraid! It is a trait my two sisters and I inherited from our mother, God bless her. Whatever comes my way, God will see me through it, as He has in the past. Worrying does NOT help at all. If/when it is my time to go be with Him then I will be better off than I am right now and I’ll be with my DH again.  Until then, I do NOT want to live in fear.

I just heard the first bird chirps of this morning. They don’t worry, they live and they sing. It’s just starting to get light out.

It’s now 10:41, it’s windy, sun is shining, butterflies are flitting about. It’s cooler today than yesterday.

******************

Well, it’s now Tuesday morning, 8:13 est. and a nice 58 degrees out, and it is ‘quiet’. It was still very windy all day yesterday, and that’s after the stormy weather had passed. Finally around sunset the winds started to calm. How NICE it was to sleep without winds and heavy rains buffeting Plum Cottage.

My prayers are going out for all of those who lost loved ones and/or all they had with this latest spate of tornado weather hitting several states. It is devastating to see photos, etc.

Today is a new day. I will go out in a bit to take a walk around. The sky is blue and the sun is shining.

I took some photos yesterday after the wee hour storm. No damages. For that I am thankful.

The front patio, which needs to be pressure washed.

Welcome to my cottage garden jungle.

01-23-front-patio

Small gate off the driveway.

01-23-patio

Living room and my space walls.

01-23-front-walls

Living room east wall, my space wall in the background.

01-23-liv-rm-wall

St. Francis with a ‘Louis Philippe’ rose.

01-23-st-francis

This is the underneath side of the rose ‘Granada’.

01-23-granada-rose

Front side

01-23-granada-rose2

I picked the rose and brought it in last night, oh so pretty with a wonderful rose scent. The pottery piece we bought in Spain when we lived there 70-73, while DH was in the US Navy. The little painting is done on wood and we bought it many, many years ago, probably at a yard sale or flea market.

01-23-granada-rose4

This is a litte rose I bought last year called ‘Mozart’.

01-23-mozart-rose

I will close with a couple of photos of a heart DH carved for me from a section of tree that blew down in one of the three hurricanes we had in 2004-2005. (It needs to be oiled again.)

heart-from-dh

heart-from-dh2

That’s it from Plum Cottage.

Have a great week.

FlowerLady

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such pretty pics after the storm! Glad you survived without harm! We lived in Texas for a year, many years ago. That summer we had constant tornadoes; one day when my husband was away on business we had 7 tornadoes touch down near our apartment complex. I and our newborn baby rode that episode out in our bathroom with a crib mattress for protection (with the tub and the pipes in the walls as a safer room). We had no damage, thank God! Andrea

The Charm of Home said...

What a gorgeous FL garden you have! That wooden heart is so cute! Yes, I was also nervous about this past week and the Lord came to me with the verse from Philippians and calmed me down completely! He works so faithfully like that! Thanks for visiting!

NanaDiana said...

Lorraine, I am so sorry you had to go through those storms. They are always scary but especially when you know there is the possibility of tornadoes. I am glad you are safe and that your sweet Plum Cottage is safe, too.
Your roses and gardens are all just beautiful....just gorgeous!!!! Hope you have a quiet week weather-wise. xo Diana

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you stayed safe through the storm. Your house and garden are really pretty. Hugs, Valerie

Jane said...

You had every reason to be scared, Rainey! We rarely have tornadoes here, thank goodness, but most of the houses have basements for when we do. That Granada rose is stunning. ANd I love your stained glass window. Glad you are safe!

Hugs
Jane

lil red hen said...

I had wondered about you and your little "nesting" place. Your gardens and cottage make me think of a secret garden with all its beauty.

Connie in Hartwood said...

I'm sitting here amazed at a/c in January. Life in south Florida, I guess.

Wonderful that you had no damage. It was a very scary storm system.

The wooden heart from your dear husband is perfect!

Rebecca said...

Glad you're safe.
I ♥ Plum Cottage - inside and out!

L. D. said...

I am glad you are ok. I can imagine the cottage lets in more noise because of its size. Your blooms are so wonderful. We are blowing snow today.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Good to hear that you did not receive any damage. I think that being somewhat more fearful now that you are alone,ir pretty normal.Yes,God will be your protection, but you and I are still human and the fear thoughts come.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I wondered how you were doing. Our weekend here in PA was mild...quite unusual with 65 degrees. Meanwhile my neice had traveled with some church friends to Tampa and I saw the tornado forecasts for that area and most of Florida! When I texted her she said it was quite windy but warm and they were ok...

Glad to hear that you are ok as well and the flowers are beautiful! :)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Glad you, your home and garden came through the storm ok. So sorry you were scared. I suppose with the amount of storms that blow through Florida would make a lot of people scared when they come.

So, enjoy your flowers. They are so very cheerful!
xx, Carol

Stephanie said...

Ah, the precious birds...their sweet songs always bring hope and comfort, don't they :)

I am so glad you're safe and sound, dear friend. And what a blessing to see there was no damage - praise the Lord!

Wishing you a joyous day. Hugs!

jerilanders said...

Safe and sound is Plum Cottage and you. I did not know about the storms hitting FL, I knew our neighbor, Georgia had quite a time of it.A frightening night alone; what would we do without the comfort of God.
I too, have a worry problem, it is a difficult flaw to deal with especially for people with vivid imaginations! Now, you can go out into your garden and enjoy the passing of the storm. Love ya!

organicgardendreams said...

Dear Lorraine, I totally can relate that it must be very scary being alone in your cottage when there are very strong winds blowing and you live in an area that is visited by tornados. But as you said yourself there is no point in getting caught up in our fears. I hope you find ways to deal with yours.
I love your little still life with the rose ‘Granada’. So pretty!
The wooden hearts that your husband made for you are very touching. So wonderful that he gave them to you!
Hopefully, the weather stays calm in your neck of the woods.
Warm regards,
Christina

A Joyful Cottage said...

I'm so glad you're safe and sound, Rainey. I think it's natural for us to be afraid when storms come. Obviously, the Lord knows our fear and I think it's why he spoke so often to "fear not" and told us He would be with us. Your pretty property looks like it held up well in the storm; beautiful roses. The heart your husband made is extraordinary. I love the quote on the back. Very romantic, very loving.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

So glad that you are weathering the storms, my dear! It takes faith and courage being all alone in the dark and windy night, wondering what you might wake up to. I am happy that all is well and Plum Cottage is safe and sound and sheltering you from the storms. Your roses are lovely and your carved heart is a precious keepsake and a reminder that you are always protected by your guardian Angel. Sending hugs xo Karen

Morning's Minion said...

Anxiety is a very real inheritance--to be battled life-long.
I'm glad you are safe, but it is hard to endure the helplessness we feel when the elements are raging outside.
My favorite of these photos is the underside of the Granada rose--so softly beautiful.

Diana Studer said...

Huge relief to come thru a storm unscathed!

We don't risk tornadoes, but we do have patches of gale force wind.

Thank you - we had 10 millimetres of rain this morning

Junkchiccottage said...

Good Morning Lorraine. So glad to see you and the Plum Cottage are safe and sound. Those kind of storms can be so scary. Sending you hugs. Glad the weather is better.
Kris

Kit said...

Glad to hear you came thru okay! Your pics look wonderful. :) Kit

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Rainey, thank God you came through the storms in good shape. I agree, wind is frightening and I have a LOT of high wind...praying every time for the old trees to remain standing tall. This morning, Sunday, there's a skiff of snow on the ground and I believe we're to receive more. The house is warm, thank God, and the insulation is helping although I do wonder at the insurance adjuster's attitude on what I've spent to keep warm. My attitude is...money spent on insulation and space heaters or on possibly more broken pipes. To me, it's an easy choice.
Take care of you and know, although you don't see your name on Sabbath Keeping, you're on my personal prayer list. <><

GretchenJoanna said...

I like that you walked around taking pictures of your dear house and garden, treasuring everything that is still safe, thank God, by means of your camera.

KathyB. said...

I truly do know that fear of the storm swirling about and rattling everything outdoors threatening to literally blow the house down. You're right, God is in control and we need not be fearful . I am glad you and your home are safe and sound. Your place is so cozy and so many things you show us in your blog have precious memories attached to them. I especially love the heart your husband carved for you and the comforting message on the other side,

tina said...

Cottage garden jungle! I love it! Having visited Florida quite a bit and having relatives down there I don't see any other style for a cottage garden but to be a jungle! The weather demands it. I love that saying on the wood carving!

Rebecca said...

Are you OK???
I miss you ♥

Jessica Jarrell said...

I definitely hear you on the storm thing. I swear I lived in perpetual fear for the first couple of years here in Kentucky, and we had a basement! I think i've gotten used to the weather now, but that doesn't stop my heart from dropping into my tummy when I see the storms clouds marching across the horizons. It can be terrifying when the wind is whipping and the thunder sounds like it's crashing on top of the house! I hate to see all this terrible weather in the south, it's devastating and so sad. I'm just glad you and Plum Cottage and the kitties are ok. I'll be thinking about you!

I hope you are having a great week FlowerLady! :-)

Terra said...

What a wonderful tree heart your husband carved, "love remains". That is great your place had no damage, and your prayers took you safely through the storm.

Dewena said...

Plum Cottage is an enchanting place, Lorraine. And how perfect is your Louis Philippe rose and the fern with your worn St. Francis! I love that!

M.K. said...

That wooden heart is so precious!! If I were in your place, in a storm, I'd hold that heart in my hand and read the Psalms :) "Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You." David was so often afraid.

I love the photos of your sweet home with all its plants and pots and greenery around. You've done such beautiful work to make it a true home.