Friday, April 24, 2015

New ‘gifted’ planters

 

Hi Friends ~ I forgot to show you these planters in my last post.  My friends Nanci & John who are retiring and moving out of their shop next door to where I worked, gifted me these ‘heavy’ cement planters. The two larger ones are 35 inches long by 14 inches wide by 15 inches high. The one with shells on it, which by the way decorate all 4 sides, is 27 inches long by 15 inches wide by 10 1/2 inches high.  All are steel reinforced, all have drainage holes. John plans to come over in a couple of weeks or so with his helper, to get these out of my van (they are in the middle of van not the back), and placed where I want them.  I’ve got to figure out where I actually do want these.  I think I can handle walking around the gardens looking for the right spots.

04-23-nj-planters

By the way, I am doing better today, hardly coughing at all, and ribs are not giving me as much pain.  I am thankful. I am still just puttering , resting and recuperating.  Yesterday I worked on clearing off my work surface. It looks much better and I’ve already started another project. Smile

I am itching to get out and do things though, but am holding myself back. It is very warm out today, it feels like summer is here. We had LOTS of heavy rain yesterday, more rain expected this afternoon through tomorrow. The lawn needs mowing, I need to go around with the weed wacker too. There’s trimming and raking up also.

Because of rain we had earlier in the week, the large bird bath filled up, and the frogs did their thing in it and now there are lots of little froglets developing. There’s probably more in there now than when I took this photo. The frogs have been croaking, glad to have rain and puddles.

04-23-tadpoles

Here is my Meyer Lemon, also gifted to me by Nanci & John.  The scent is wonderful. There are around 3 clumps of blooms, which hopefully will all turn into lemons.

04-23-meyer-blooms

This picture was taken on the 8th of this month, April.

04-08-meyer-lemon

This was taken on the 23rd. There are also two other smaller lemons on the little tree.

04-23-meyers

Forgot to show this picture of amaryllis in last post too.

04-23-amaryllis

I just love this begonia. Deep burgundy colored leaves and pretty soft pink blooms. Doesn’t it look nice against what will be the color of this little cottage?

04-23-begonia

Next is Thryallis. What a wonderful scent this has. I’ve already made two rooted cuttings from this, and plan to do more.  I see this a lot around the county as clipped hedges. Mine is more sprawling, which is more cottagey.  At the botanical garden they have theirs in the butterfly garden as a tree and it is wonderful.

04-23-thryallis

04-23-thryallis2

04-23-thryallis3

Here is another shrub with a wonderful scent that wafts through the air, Sweet Almond.

04-15-sweet-almond

To have a healthier body, spirit and mind, plant a scented garden.

Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

***

"The gardens that make us happiest flourish because we have taken the time to make sure they feed our souls and fill a special place in our lives. Sometimes you have to think about what you really want from your garden ... once the beds are laid out and the rose bushes planted."   
Lindley Karstens

20 comments:

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

You have some beautiful flowers in your garden at the moment Lorraine, and the promise of some lemons later on!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I am convinced that under your care,everything just grows and grows. I wish I had some of that touch.Perhaps location also plays a part. Have a great weekend.

Leslie Kimel said...

Those new planters are awesome. They really have character, and it's obvious how well-made they are. I'm sure you'll find the perfect place for them!

Nancy's Notes said...

You have some wonderful flowers in your garden right now! I love flowers that have a scent and I really like what you said, what a wonderful way to a healthier body, spirit and mind! Planting a scented garden is the right path, for sure!

Happy Saturday

Nancy

Jean Campbell said...

What treasures those containers are!

lil red hen said...

So interesting about the lemons! Of course I've never seen them growing; we live in "peach country".
Glad you're feeling well enough to take walks in your gardens; I make a round through mine almost every day just to see what's new, although I have nothing that compares with your beautiful flowers.

Jane said...

Can't wait to see what you are going to do with those flower boxes, Rainey! It must be wonderful to be able to grow your own lemons. BTW, I checked and Kathleen can be grown here, if it is in a sheltered southern location. It's on my wish list!

Hugs
Jane

Debbie Harris said...

I needed this little walk through your garden, Lorraine, and the fragrances mmmm, very nice.
It's nice to hear that you are up and moving a little bit.
Your garden must be the bright spot of your day?
Such a gift you received with those planters. I'm sure you will do something delightful with them.

Enjoy the rest of your week end.

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Happy gardening to you too! It looks like your gardens are flourishing under your sweet green thumb.

LOVE those planters. You'll have a ball with them. Find just the right spot.

I send love and a warm hug,

Sharon

Mrs. E said...

Love the new planters! Hope your health continues to improve. (I hate being sick this time of year!)

Nancy J said...

Lovely planters, they will be so heavy, and last forever. I can see plans already. And flowers blooming, yes, scented blossoms are nature's gift to us all.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi, I saw a shrub similar to your last photo when we were at Biltmore. I took a picture --so I need to find it and compare it to your Sweet Almond. SO pretty.

Love our lemons... Bet you will enjoy them... YUM.....

I love Begonias and they do well here in Summer--in the SUN.

Love your Amaryllis also. Pretty color.

Congrats on the new planters.... You will have something pretty blooming in all of them soon I'm sure.

Take care of yourself and feel better soon.
Hugs,
Betsy

RockWhisperer said...

I like those planters! Can't wait to see what you do with them.

gld said...

I'm behind reading......sorry to hear about the cracked ribs from coughing. I didn't know that could happen.

There will be plenty of time to get caught up. Don't get frustrated.

You make me realize I need more scented plants; some for all seasons.

Kit said...

I am so curious about your little froglets! If you let them be, would you have a birdbath full of frogs. :) Now wouldn't that look cool? LOL Hugs, Kit

Susan said...

Glad you are feeling better. Do take it slow as the air is becoming more humid by the day. Love those planters! What a wonderful gift to receive. They're going to look great in your garden along with all those beautiful blooms.

hensintheorchard.blogspot.com said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Love your pictures and creations.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Rainey, those planters are gorgeous and will be a nice addition to your garden. Glad you're feeling better, keep that up!

Barbara said...

Love those concrete planters. You will definitely have to decide on a forever location. I'm sure once they're filled they'll be really hard to move again

M.K. said...

I hope you have continued to heal well, Rainey, since this post. Don't overdo! The garden looks lovely, as always.